So how did Classic Rock become a family affair?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

Like how did it become the kind of thing that a family, young and old alike, enjoy together?

I'm wondering mainly because lots of classic rock songs are about sex and drugs, which I doubt most parents would willingly enjoy with their children.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Yeah but they aren't that blunt or graphic necessarily.

Avatar image for narutoisapirate
narutoisapirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 narutoisapirate
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts

i guess just the catchy tunes and melody..

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

because the old grew up listening to the what we call classic rock now.

Ryeferd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ryeferd
Member since 2006 • 5198 Posts
The people who grew up listening to that music have families of their own now. In 20 years I bet someone will be making the same thread about today's music.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

They became a family affair when people who liked that music started having families. Plus, music gets more and more brash, bold and blunt as time goes on. Some 60s or 70s song that hides sex in metaphors is pretty tame compared to an 80s Prince or Rick James song. Rick James and Prince are pretty tame compared to today's music. As bad as an older song might have seemed when some one is young, it's probably a lot more tame and mild than the music of their kid's generation.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

The people who grew up listening to that music have families of their own now. In 20 years I bet someone will be making the same thread about today's music.Ryeferd

*So how did Death Metal become a family affair?*

coylenintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#8 coylenintendo
Member since 2005 • 13713 Posts

who knows.. good question lol

Cpt-Obvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cpt-Obvious
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts
The parents get a blast from the past listening to classic rock, and it's good music, so that's why the new generation listen to it. I spent lots of time with my dad listening to AC/DC.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
A lot of the subject matter in those songs fly right over younger kids heads, along with the fact that its the music the now parents grew up listening to
Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
Parents, when they were teens they listened to that kind of music. They grew up had families and listened to that music infront of their kids. Now the family listens to it!
viva_hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 viva_hate
Member since 2009 • 2414 Posts

Parents impose this kind of music to their children as they grow up and so they end up liking it too. Or at least that's my opinion.

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, my parents were big fans of Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and while I've grown out of cla$$ic rock, I'm grateful I was introduced to it because it's a great starting point for discovering other music.

PS: How the heck do you guys write "cla$$ic" with real S letters? Gamespot keeps censoring me on that...

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts

Parents impose this kind of music to their children as they grow up and so they end up liking it too. Or at least that's my opinion.

Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, my parents were big fans of Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and while I've grown out of cla$$ic rock, I'm grateful I was introduced to it because it's a great starting point for discovering other music.

PS: How the heck do you guys write "cla$$ic" with real S letters? Gamespot keeps censoring me on that...

viva_hate

Sometimes it censors it, sometimes it doesn't. Alternatively, you can use a capital letter "I" instead of the "L".

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Like how did it become the kind of thing that a family, young and old alike, enjoy together?

I'm wondering mainly because lots of classic rock songs are about sex and drugs, which I doubt most parents would willingly enjoy with their children.

Xeros606

Ever since teens of the 70's became fathers and mothers.....its the changes of the time.

Its what many listened to back then....and they've passed it down.

We, who were teenagers in the 70's grew up with Bowie, Zeppelin, Rush, Van Halen, Kiss, The Who and many others.

To us, that was rebellious music that we could relate to. Its tame now compared to whats out there now, but much of it is still great music.