Smartphones - how are they worth it?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Out of curiosity today I looked at what it would cost to have an iPhone 4S with Verizon. It's a minimum of $90 per month with bare bones service including a crappy 2GB data limit and 450 voice minutes. Better plans go into the $100+ range. This is on a contract and there's an upfront cost for the phone as well of course.

I know a couple of people who own high-end Android phones and they don't really seem to use them other than while I'm driving or something. Even then, it's for games or music. I could see getting one if it served a practical business purpose, but more basic phones seem to cover then need to occasionally text while away from a computer.

I feel like current smartphones are not really advanced enough to be used for anything but entertainment purposes. Sure they have GPS, but a perfectly capable GPS can be had for like $70 and never costs a penny more.

For people who own smartphones, what makes it worth the cost for you?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I stream ESPN radio for about 10 hours a day to my phone (can't stream on my work PC). ...that alone makes it worth it
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
For me, I use my Droid Charge as a reasonably robust music/podcast player and mobile hotspot, mainly. Also, occasionally use the Netflix app, and use the Kindle or a comic reading app on the can at work. I probably could have gotten something cheaper that would do the same things, but I have disposable income, and for the sake of our flagging economy, I try to dispose of it.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawsavon
I do not like seeing jand as last person posting ITT and then arriving to find no so such post :x
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I do not like seeing jand as last person posting ITT and then arriving to find no so such post :xrawsavon
i posted about regular radio, not espn radio i have no idea how espn radio works
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

I use my phone for calling and texting only, and my bill doesn't really go above $15/month. I'm curious to know if people think it's worth it too.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

They're worth nothing... but stil I owuld really like an iPhone (for the simple fact that it's a combination between an iPod and mobile).

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

my mom uses hers to check her email through 3G anywhere she goes. It helps her be even more highly valued at her job than she already is.

Outside of that you can you applications like gas buddy to help save money, urban spoon to find a place to eat, and so on and so forth.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I do not like seeing jand as last person posting ITT and then arriving to find no so such post :xJandurin
i posted about regular radio, not espn radio i have no idea how espn radio works

I can stream all the stations here http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7234565 If I could update the players on my computer, I would use that...but I can't (and don't want to ask). Like Xaos said though, I also use it for netflix (could watch at work) and as a kindle
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Same reason why a fully loaded Lexus might be worth it to one person while his buddy is perfectly happy getting a base model Corolla, personal prefence. The base reason for the cars is to go from point A to point B but the first person may want to do it in luxury while the second person is just happy his car keeps the rain out.

With a phone the base purpose is to talk but the extra goodies may be worth to one person and not another. A big factor is what you're willing to spend. If you're making $8 an hour at McDonald's I doubt you're in the same position to get a huge data plan as somebody with a degree making over $50,000 a year.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I actually use mine primarily for business purposes from email, managing servers, remote desktop clients etc etc. Now I do question why at times a 13 year old might need a smartphone when all they are going to do is text probably.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 194197844077667059316682358889
I actually use mine primarily for business purposes from email, managing servers, remote desktop clients etc etc. Now I do question why at times a 13 year old might need a smartphone when all they are going to do is text probably. xXDrPainXx
Oh yes, I do occasionally use PocketCloud for RDP access to my machine at home also; forgot that
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
for the sake of our flagging economy, I try to dispose of it.xaos
TY papa xaos
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 superfluidity

Same reason why a fully loaded Lexus might be worth it to one person while his buddy is perfectly happy getting a base model Corolla, personal prefence. The base reason for the cars is to go from point A to point B but the first person may want to do it in luxury while the second person is just happy his car keeps the rain out.

With a phone the base purpose is to talk but the extra goodies may be worth to one person and not another. A big factor is what you're willing to spend. If you're making $8 an hour at McDonald's I doubt you're in the same position to get a huge data plan as somebody with a degree making over $50,000 a year.

ad1x2

Even at $50,000 per year owning that iPhone is going to be a bit over 2% of their annual income. That's a very large percentage for a phone when most people probably put away 5% or even less for retirement every year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 194197844077667059316682358889

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]

superfluidity

Even at $50,000 per year owning that iPhone is going to be a bit over 2% of their annual income. That's a very large percentage for a phone when most people probably put away 5% or even less for retirement every year.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want a smartphone at that income level
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rawsavon

when most people probably put away 5% or even less for retirement every year.

superfluidity

...sucks for them...though I guess that means 'sucks for me' when I am helping to subsidize their poor planning.
Damn grasshoppers. I hate being an ant sometimes

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Your problem was that you looked into the cost of an iPhone. They are, by nature, overpriced because they know people will pay anything to have one. It really depends on the service provider though. Some in Canada are popping up and offering unlimited everything for $30/month. Is the service good? Probably not as good as Rogers or Telus... but it is there. Look into Android phones, they generally are cheaper. And people who use their phone like a computer can very much justify paying what they do.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ad1x2

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]

superfluidity

You also have to look at other things when it comes to what they are doing. If they're living in some cheap apartment and are driving a small car they have more disposable income. Also, what other bills they pay matter. Plus, you have to look at other factors. In my case, I make around $70,000 but I don't pay for medical insurance, I get cheaper food on base, and only 2/3s of my income is taxed since I'm in the military. I can afford to do that and still put extra money away for final retirement. I say final because the first retirement is at 38 with a pension but I'll still get another job. Plus, my wife works too.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rawsavon

. In my case, I make around $70,000 but I don't pay for medical insurance, I get cheaper food on base, and only 2/3s of my income is taxed since I'm in the military. I can afford to do that and still put extra money away for final retirement. I say final because the first retirement is at 38 with a pension but I'll still get another job. Plus, my wife works too.

ad1x2
:nice: I would be able to see retirement coming around the corner at this point (if I were you).
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superfluidity

You also have to look at other things when it comes to what they are doing. If they're living in some cheap apartment and are driving a small car they have more disposable income. Also, what other bills they pay matter. Plus, you have to look at other factors. In my case, I make around $70,000 but I don't pay for medical insurance, I get cheaper food on base, and only 2/3s of my income is taxed since I'm in the military. I can afford to do that and still put extra money away for final retirement. I say final because the first retirement is at 38 with a pension but I'll still get another job. Plus, my wife works too.

ad1x2

I agree that many people can feasibly afford it. What I don't understand is how it provides enough value to be prioritized financially given that most people seem to just play games or post on Facebook while they're waiting in line somewhere.

At a certain income level cost becomes irrelevant (as with anything), but let's not pretend that the majority of smartphone owners are in that boat.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Out of curiosity today I looked at what it would cost to have an iPhone 4S with Verizon. It's a minimum of $90 per month with bare bones service including a crappy 2GB data limit and 450 voice minutes. Better plans go into the $100+ range. This is on a contract and there's an upfront cost for the phone as well of course.

I know a couple of people who own high-end Android phones and they don't really seem to use them other than while I'm driving or something. Even then, it's for games or music. I could see getting one if it served a practical business purpose, but more basic phones seem to cover then need to occasionally text while away from a computer.

I feel like current smartphones are not really advanced enough to be used for anything but entertainment purposes. Sure they have GPS, but a perfectly capable GPS can be had for like $70 and never costs a penny more.

superfluidity
the first thing you did wrong was look at Verizon. If you want cheap and/or unlimited, they are the last place to look. As for what do I use my phone for.......it has all but replaced my computer.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon
it has all but replaced my computer.AmazonTreeBoa
so then it hasn't replaced anything and is just a companion device :? (has not replaced computer...replaced landline I guess???)
lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
i have an iPhone but no plan for it. so i just use it as a mini PC that handily will take calls and text messages.
DocDelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DocDelicious
Member since 2011 • 410 Posts
They're not worth it at all. But you're pretty much forced to have one these days. Last time I went to pick out a new phone they had nothing but smartphones. I was like "I just want something that makes calls, can txt if needed, and has an actual keyboard not on that's on-screen." There were 2. One was the phone I have now (a samsung something or other that they don't even make anymore) and some pos green-screen thing from like the late 90's. My contract is up pretty soon and I'm dreading having to upgrade. Personally I just don't need all the extra crap. I have an iPod touch that I use on the go and a laptop at my house. Why the f*** do I need MORE Internet access. That I have to pay an arm and a leg to never use on top of that.
xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts
They're definitely more a computer than a phone now-a-days. I basically do everything on my phone now and only really turn on my main computer if I need to do lots of typing or play PC games. If it ran steam, I'd probably use that on my phone too (with HDMI out to tv or something). So for me it's worth it because it's replaced many other things you would normally have to buy to do the same thing (music player, gps, the many many diff apps available)
xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xsynth
Personally I just don't need all the extra crap. I have an iPod touch that I use on the go and a laptop at my house. Why the f*** do I need MORE Internet accessDocDelicious
Haha I thought that same exact thing, until I got one. Now it's my most used device. You don't realize how much you just pick up your phone to do something where ever you are until you have it
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I don't use smartphones that much but I have had a few. They are nice for tethering internet onto your laptop, or you can put a mini pci express slot into your lappy and get a usim socket, which is what I did for my laptop. They are also nice for checking email, that sort of stuff. I do not like to web browse on them unless I have to. Good for listening to music as well, they are just convinent to have. Also taking pictures and video recording and being able to send the files very quickly is a very nice feature to have.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
$90 for a minimal contract? That seems a bit ridiculous. I have no interest in a smartphone but I can see why some people might - their monthly contract isn't significantly more than a dumb phone, and a smartphone does a lot more. I'll just stick with my pay as you go plan. My cell phone is for emergencies only.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

superfluidity

I can search the Internet for "What makes smartphones worth it?" while I'm on the go.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superfluidity

They're definitely more a computer than a phone now-a-days. I basically do everything on my phone now and only really turn on my main computer if I need to do lots of typing or play PC games. If it ran steam, I'd probably use that on my phone too (with HDMI out to tv or something). So for me it's worth it because it's replaced many other things you would normally have to buy to do the same thing (music player, gps, the many many diff apps available)xsynth

Even for general home use you prefer a smartphone to a PC?

For home use, PC web browsing seems vastly superior to smartphone browsing, and I can't play SSFIV or Shogun 2 (for example) on a smartphone at all. Even if I somehow could, I would have to plug in peripherals or something to get past the control limitations of a touchscreen and it would basically become a PC.

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xsynth

For home use, PC web browsing seems vastly superior to smartphone browsing, and I can't play SSFIV or Shogun 2 (for example) on a smartphone at all. Even if I somehow could, I would have to plug in peripherals or something to get past the control limitations of a touchscreen and it would basically become a PC.

superfluidity
I don't really play any flash games on the web, and you can often get them as an app anyway, but that would be something still needed by a PC yes. More often than not I'll be sitting on the couch and see/think/hear/discussing something interesting and just look it up on my phone instead of waiting for the pc to turn on
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

iPhone with Verizon.

superfluidity

There's your problem.

I have unlimited data on my sprint plan, and routinely go over 20 gigs a month with my android.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 superfluidity

[QUOTE="superfluidity"]

xsynth

I don't really play any flash games on the web, and you can often get them as an app anyway, but that would be something still needed by a PC yes. More often than not I'll be sitting on the couch and see/think/hear/discussing something interesting and just look it up on my phone instead of waiting for the pc to turn on

Well beyond Flash a PC browser can have a multitude of tabs with complex pages open at once, many times more info on the screen at once, and basically instant load times.

Also, why turn the PC off at all? I move the mouse and it comes out of sleep mode in about 3 seconds.

streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I do not like seeing jand as last person posting ITT and then arriving to find no so such post :xJandurin

I have a DroidX and i use my phone in the following ways: Tether my Tablet and Laptop when away from home. Stream Radio at work play games a lot watch netflix while waiting for appointments or away from home chillin. it's my full time camera and do all my video recording and facebook uploading with it. I record some of my youtube videos with it. I use it as a digital storage device to bring files places phone calls, text messages and email Navigation while i drive web to research prices or specs while at stores or find coupons or sales. many others these are just off the top of my head. Smartphone is a luxary. You don't need one but it sure is nice to have one.
xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xsynth

Well beyond Flash a PC browser can have a multitude of tabs with complex pages open at once, many times more info on the screen at once, and basically instant load times.

Also, why turn the PC off at all? I move the mouse and it comes out of sleep mode in about 3 seconds.

superfluidity
And I have multiple tabs, flash, etc open on my android browser also. It just comes down to personal preference and convenience, and being able to do that at home, in the car, while I'm with people and sorting out what to do/where to go
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ad1x2

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]

superfluidity

I agree that many people can feasibly afford it. What I don't understand is how it provides enough value to be prioritized financially given that most people seem to just play games or post on Facebook while they're waiting in line somewhere.

At a certain income level cost becomes irrelevant (as with anything), but let's not pretend that the majority of smartphone owners are in that boat.

Different people have different priorities. If I'm away all day I can surf the net during times I got nothing else to do, something I couldn't do several years ago. Yeah, my phone has spoiled the hell out of me. Also, if I'm away from home for a few days but have my laptop I can connect my phone to a USB port for Internet on my laptop and then use the hotspot option to teether Internet access to my Xbox if the place I'm at makes me pay for their Internet. I'm still grandfathered into an unlimited data plan and I just use the cheapest talk and text plan since I don't talk that much.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmazonTreeBoa
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]it has all but replaced my computer.rawsavon
so then it hasn't replaced anything and is just a companion device :? (has not replaced computer...replaced landline I guess???)

I don't see how you misunderstood what i said, so let me reaped it. I really no longer need my pc because my smartphone can do pretty much everything my pc can do. You understanding me now?
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]it has all but replaced my computer.AmazonTreeBoa

I don't see how you misunderstood what i said, so let me reaped it. I really no longer need my pc because my smartphone can do pretty much everything my pc can do. You understanding me now?

that you have a device that has almost replaced your pc b/c it can do almost everything a pc can?
...so you still need both...so it hasn't replaced anything, right?

I think I got it, thanks for clearing it up though :)

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
To me they aren't worth it. I had one then didn't renew my contract so now I use a much cheaper go phone and I use my old smartphone for entertainment and GPS.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I use mine for twitter/youtube/music/other stuff. I just have fun with it when I'm bored. I use a droid though, no Iphone.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I can see how they would be. Definitely not for me though. My phone was free and I don't use any data.

I'm a little pissed that all of the companies are basically shoving them down our throats though.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Because you get so much from one little device. Sure your GPS may cost you only $70, but are you always going to have it on you? No, you won't. If I'm with a friend and need to find a place to go, then I can easily look it up. That actually happens quite often. Plus, you get many apps that are either free or cost around a dollar that can be used for a variety of purposes. This isn't to mention that you practically always have something to do when you're bored and have access to nothing other than your phone, for example during breaks at work. I'm sure smartphones aren't practical in terms of price for a lot of people, but it's definitely worth the price to me.
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

the costs can be really low if you want, making it easily worth it. i got a semi-low budget unit without a plan and mostly just let myself be surprised by the availability or absence of a wifi network whenever i get an urge to do something that needs online connectivity. i'm not important enough to require all-day-every-day access to e-mail and the likes, nor do i care enough about social networking enough to get the most out of my smartphone, but it is convenient to be able to read the headlines, put on some internet radio or even work on some office documents in places where you normally can't.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] so then it hasn't replaced anything and is just a companion device :? (has not replaced computer...replaced landline I guess???)rawsavon

that you have a device that has almost replaced your pc b/c it can do almost everything a pc can?

The only thing I use my pc for now is gaming and i can't take my pc with. Wow just wow at how it is still going over your head. I give up trying to explain it to you. Just remain forever lost.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"] I don't see how you misunderstood what i said, so let me reaped it. I really no longer need my pc because my smartphone can do pretty much everything my pc can do. You understanding me now?AmazonTreeBoa

The only thing I use my pc for now is gaming and i can't take my pc with. Wow just wow at how it is still going over your head. I give up trying to explain it to you. Just remain forever lost.

Nothing has gone over my head at all.
...you still use both devices (one has not replaced the other).

Thanks for the supporting points though :)

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I look up my Facebook when Im bored at work.. without it I would be dead bcoz my workplace really really killing me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Honestly, my data plan isn't worth it to me. Everywhere I go (except my dorm room, wtf) has wi-fi. I would be totally okay if my parents wanted to drop the data plan. Other than that, the device itself is more than worth the 200 dollar price I payed for it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] Look into Android phones, they generally are cheaper. And people who use their phone like a computer can very much justify paying what they do.

No they're not. The best android phones match the iPhone's price of 200 dollars generally. You could get a cheap s*** android phone, but you could also get a free iPhone 3GS.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AmazonTreeBoa

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

rawsavon

Nothing has gone over my head at all.
...you still use both devices (one has not replaced the other).

Thanks for the supporting points though :)

But it has replaced my pc. You just fail to grasp something so simple. That's your problem, not mine.