Similar Addictive Books to Harry Potter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

Hullo everybody,

I hate reading fiction. I love reading science books (aka physics textbook, not some theory novel). But for some reason, Harry Potter got me extremely addicted as it did many other people. I do not know what it is about the book that's so captivating, but I am reading the series for the 2nd time. It may be the lack of descriptions and compactness of events. I always hated in novels how they would go on and on about detail, it's just boring. It may also be the surprise of stark differences to what is expected in 'regular fiction' such as for example, the 'deathday party' with all the ghosts and the a matter of fact type of detail that's completely different from the "holy crap, a room full of ghosts, be scared reader!".

So if any of you could recommend some good books/series that you found to be similar to harry potter, especially in addiction, then that would be cool.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
Twilight.
Avatar image for Skoll_ist_Krieg
Skoll_ist_Krieg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Skoll_ist_Krieg
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
try the Dark Tower Series by Steven King. Im currently on the third book and id say its really addicting. id call it a sci-fi western
SideSwipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SideSwipes
Member since 2009 • 3064 Posts

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. My favourite books.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Twilight.Dylan_11

God no.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
The Pendragon series is great.
0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

If you are looking for something along the lines of fantasy then maybe the Shannara novels by Terry Brooksare for you. There are a lot that are pretty good actually. Another that I really enjoy is the Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind.

RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

Sword Of Truth, Wheel Of Time, Song of Ice and Fire.

warownslife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 warownslife
Member since 2010 • 5289 Posts

Read Drizzit. 50% chance i spelled that wrong.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

Hullo everybody,

I hate reading fiction. I love reading science books (aka physics textbook, not some theory novel). But for some reason, Harry Potter got me extremely addicted as it did many other people. I do not know what it is about the book that's so captivating, but I am reading the series for the 2nd time. It may be the lack of descriptions and compactness of events. I always hated in novels how they would go on and on about detail, it's just boring. It may also be the surprise of stark differences to what is expected in 'regular fiction' such as for example, the 'deathday party' with all the ghosts and the a matter of fact type of detail that's completely different from the "holy crap, a room full of ghosts, be scared reader!".

So if any of you could recommend some good books/series that you found to be similar to harry potter, especially in addiction, then that would be cool.

Perd1t1on
Wait...what? You like to read physics textbooks but call descriptions in fiction novels boring?
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
The Divine Comedy.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

well currently I'm reading The Percy Jackson series. It's a bit of a younger persons read but its very cool and since the books are fairly small they don't go into great detail on most things.

although they certainly aren't on the same level of awesome that Harry Potter is at. Although I kind of doubt that their will be a new series that is as great as Harry for years to come.

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts
His Dark Matierials.
Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
The Divine Comedy.Jazz_Fan
dante's inferno? I have that on my computer, I may start reading it again. Thanks for the responses, I'll check out dark tower because my cousin also read it and he's similar to me in some ways (I think he's a member here) and sword of truth since it was mentioned twice.
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

I couldn't stand harry potter. And those who have/are going to mention twilight can leave this thread.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#16 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I think it's the detail of insignificant yet amusing events that makes it great. In all honesty, I didn't care about Harry's plight against Voldemort... I kept reading to see what lessons they'd have, who'd pass their exams, and whether Ron would ever get Hermione.