Silicon Valley's $400 Internet connected juicer is superfluous.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

One of the most lavishly funded gadget startups in Silicon Valley last year was Juicero Inc. It makes a juice machine.

Doug Evans, the company’s founder, would compare himself with Steve Jobs in his pursuit of juicing perfection. He declared that his juice press wields four tons of force—“enough to lift two Teslas,” he said. Google’s venture capital arm and other backers poured about $120 million into the startup. Juicero sells the machine for $400, plus the cost of individual juice packs delivered weekly. Tech blogs have dubbed it a “Keurig for juice.”

But after the product hit the market, some investors were surprised to discover a much cheaper alternative: You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands. Two backers said the final device was bulkier than what was originally pitched and that they were puzzled to find that customers could achieve similar results without it. Bloomberg performed its own press test, pitting a Juicero machine against a reporter’s grip. The experiment found that squeezing the bag yields nearly the same amount of juice just as quickly—and in some cases, faster—than using the device.

Juicero declined to comment. A person close to the company said Juicero is aware the packs can be squeezed by hand but that most people would prefer to use the machine because the process is more consistent and less messy. The device also reads a QR code printed on the back of each produce pack and checks the source against an online database to ensure the contents haven’t expired or been recalled, the person said.

Source

The Mac of juciers.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Whoever thought of that idea is either the biggest idiot in the world or an accomplished business genius. Doug Evans found a way to scam his way into millions of dollars.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Wow. He really did it

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

The evidence is piling up — Silicon Valley is being destroyed

"Is that what Silicon Valley scientists and business leaders really want? ... Was their goal really to create "anti-competitive juice packet lock-in"?"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Or you know, just stick with smoothies and eat the actual ENTIRE FRUIT and get ALL the nutrients.

Juice is pretty terrible for you, and wasteful.

"Oh wow, look at this marvelous piece of fruit. Hmmmm let me squeeze all the water and sugar out of it, ignore all the fiber and a majority of the nutrients, and while I am at it let me just make it so I need ten times the amount of fruit to yield the same volume if I just used the whole fruit versus the juice"

Just eat a freaking apple or orange. What are you, toothless?

*and yeah I know it's about demand and "Oh well if people want it, they should be able to have it" but I want to complain about it, so I should have that too

HARRUMPH!

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25 said:

HARRUMPH!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

saw this the other day.. makes me think we're in another tech bubble where any idiot that says "internet!" to an investor get thrown a shitload of money...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I... what... this isn't a juicer... This is an I'm Too Lazy to Squeeze Juice Out of a Bagger.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl

@JustPlainLucas said:

I... what... this isn't a juicer... This is an I'm Too Lazy to Squeeze Juice Out of a Bagger.

To be fair, Keurig made millions off of an, "I'm too lazy to put a scoop of coffee into a coffeemaker" machine.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

This thing has some really nice DRM too. In order to use it you need a smart phone ap, wifi, a subscription, and their proprietary juice bags. This device is everything that is wrong with silicon valley and its beautiful

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I don't like it when people say it's too complicated and that's all I hear from techys.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Bah! Just stuff the damn fruit in a whoopee cushion and sit on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Chewing gets old but throwing things in the blender never tastes right like the strawberries died in the blender.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#14  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

A friggin $400 juicer with a DRM. The wonders of this world never ceases.

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

I loved your comment the "mac of juicers" so true lol.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Wait, can you re-full the bags yourself with fruit you have grown or from a supermarket, or do you NEED to keep buying the pre-packaged fruit from the juicer company?

I also find the QR code to get expiry date to be needlessly complicated when simply printing the date is much simpler.

The juicing fad needs to die in my opinion, or at least the perception that it's just as healthy as eating fruit in their natural form, because it's not.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Hmm. Apparently this is an ongoing thing. I haven't kept up with Silicon Valley news so I don't know what's what. Oh well. What if we all stopped caring so much about patents.