Should you stop doing things you like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I smoke but my girlfriend looks affected by that, she gets sad and starts saying that I'll die and all that. Plus, she hates the smell and that we have to spend some cash on tobacco. 

Should I stop doing something I like (smoking) just to make my girlfriend happy?

This goes for other stuff aswell:

• Drinking
  • Using drugs
  • Gaming
  • Any addiction actually

(I had this thread created on System Wars, re-created it here)

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Only you can aswer that question. Though with smoking, yeah, I'd say it'd probably be a good idea to stop regardless.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
You should stop smoking because it will kill you, not because your girlfriend is nagging you. Whether you want to discontinue OTHER activities because of her nagging is another matter. Personally, I don't think I'd want to be with a woman who tried to dictate to me my hobbies. Anyone who wants a relationship with me will pretty much have to accept that sometimes I drink beer and play video games.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Only you can aswer that question. Though with smoking, yeah, I'd say it'd probably be a good idea to stop regardless.

Pirate700
Gonna have to agree with this.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
Ideally, your significant other, while wanting what's best for you, would accept your decision to smoke. At the same time, you should be considerate of her feelings; at the very least, don't smoke around her.
and that we have to spend some cash on tobacco.Ricardomz
If yall are short on money and pooling income, then I'd say your a dick for not quitting.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ricardomz

Ideally, your significant other, while wanting what's best for you, would accept your decision to smoke. At the same time, you should be considerate of her feelings; at the very least, don't smoke around her. [QUOTE="Ricardomz"]and that we have to spend some cash on tobacco.Sword-Demon
If yall are short on money and pooling income, then I'd say your a dick for not quitting.

We're not poor

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Let me give you a more serious answer than the one I gave you in SW.

It's all dependent on how you view the situation personally. If you know it's effecting you negatively, then changes are you should probably stop. While it's nice to get a second opinion, and those opinions are always good to consider, no one can dictate what you do, or how you live. Though, I'd recommend keeping an open mind overall.

Unless what you are doing is inadvertently, or intentionally, harming someone else. That's a whole different story.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

Smoking does smell terrible and it is a waste of money ignoring everything else.  As for it killing people I had to watch my grandfather die at a young age from lung problems due to smoking.  Practically my only memories of him were with the oxygen tanks he needed to use before he died.  So yeah, nobody had to remind me that smoking kills.  

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
It shouldn't even be about her wanting you to stop. You should have enough respect for yourself and her (secondhand smoke) health. I personally won't date a girl who smokes cigarettes. Kissing a girl who smoke is nasty. First time I ever French kissed a girl who smoked, I about vomited and broke up with her right there on the spot and never dated another smoker sense. I honestly don't think smokers even realize how badly they smell. You stink.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Yes, do it.. quit smoking and save yourself lots of money, for your own good.
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ricardomz

You are taking this thread 100% about smoking. Let's picture other things now like gaming/gambling addictions or drinking...

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
Yes, no fun for anybody ever.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

if you enjoy being resentful.

Of course there are some things people should give up regardless if they like them.  Like Rape. Rape is bad

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
If you can't quit for her then quit for yourself. I think addiction is weakness, you shoulda seen me on video game benders, it was disgusting.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
as with all things, moderation is the key.
DavesAlt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DavesAlt
Member since 2012 • 950 Posts
Moderation.
Combathobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Combathobo
Member since 2009 • 33 Posts

depends on which one is more important to you. There's always going to be the give and take, and you won't always be able to do some things that you want to do; whether that be watching a shitty move, going to a cher concert, or passing on your cocaine infused violent orgies. I wouldn't date someone that needed me to stop drinking, but I would quit smoking to date someone I was really interested in. Also, I would never quit video games, anyone who asks you to do that is a communist. 

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
You should stop for your own health, not for your girlfriend.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Bet your girls say you love tobacco more than her. Just stop their is no arguing with women no matter how good you can debate online
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

1.Do you do the thing you like in healthy doses?

2.Does it affect your relationships and other aspects of your life?

3.Does it actually 'GIVE' you anything? For the better?

I think if you ask yourself these questions truthfully, you'd probably get your answer

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
You should probably stop doing anything that is terrible for your health. Over drinking, smoking, excessive gambling, all of that can be terrible for your long term well-being. An occasional cigar or cig, the occasional alcoholic beverage or a vacation to Vegas is fine but when you start doing those things in excess you are slowly killing yourself and should probably stop.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

For me, if what you're doing is pretty bad for you, then yes, you should stop doing it.  You never worry about the health consequences of bad decisions until you develop a chronic condition, at which point it is often too late to fix it, and then you've got to suffer with it.  Some habits should just be stopped altogether, whereas in other areas it's probably good enough to just cut back.

Also, if what you're doing is hurting someone you care about, it's a pretty good incentive to stop doing it. 

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

Remove the girlfriend or outside influence: if something you do is detrimental to your health/wellbeing, then, yeah stop.  Other than that, it's a cost/benefit analyis.

korrok_soy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 korrok_soy
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I've smoked for years but I started seeing someone a while ago and they made it pretty clear that they didn't want me to smoke, despite knowing I smoked prior to meeting up with any regularity. They started pushing e-cigs and quitting cold turkey on me, which to cut a long story short was an insidious start to full on insanity. Needless to say that didn't end well. Either way, if you're gonna quit then do it for you. Personally I despise the fearmongering of IF YOU DON'T QUIT IT'LL KILL YOU, well, be that RISK as it may I do enjoy it, even if it tastes like crap and smells bad, and the more that people try and push you the more likely you are to just dig your heels in and think sod them all. Yes, smoking is very bad for your health. It has a high likelihood of destroying your lungs until you develop chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cause a boatload of other crap, but if you want to take that risk (like all smokers do) then just carry on doing it until you're ready to quit. Whether it's pure choice or due to a health scare that causes you to quit, you'll quit eventually if YOU want to, not when your girlfriend dictates it. In regards to alcohol, it can cause just as many if not more problems as smoking and probably quicker if you drink heavy amounts on a regular basis. How much are you drinking? Is your girlfriend the type of person who didn't have much drinking around her growing up? I know that my family aren't big drinkers so sometimes if I see someone having a beer every day, even if it is one just after work, I can start to feel a bit uneasy because I'm just not used to people drinking alcohol with any regularity and it freaks me out. Is your girlfriend a social drinker, or does she not drink at all? Again with video games, I think this all comes down to how much and how often, but at the end of the day you might wanna sit your missus down and ask her why she thinks the way she does and see if it's an actual belief or whether she just wants to have some form of control over you. I don't understand why you would give up any normal habit for someone purely due to nagging. If you were sat in your pants every day playing games covered in cig ash and surrounded by empty bottles I'd understand where she was coming from but without knowing the extent of any of this I can't really suggest owt.
Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

Smoking is bad but don't change things that make you happy.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No why should i stop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

as with all things, moderation is the key. Allicrombie

This, though smoking has a greater likelihood of affecting your health in the long term, even at moderate usage. If you have any kind of addiction, you should attempt to deal with it as soon as possible.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

If it is effecting you more negatively than postively than yes. Find what works for you and do it. Its really simple, if your happy with it keep doing it.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#29 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Don't stop. She'll get used to smelling of crap soon.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
if it is something bad for you like smoking, drinking or doing drugs then yes i would stop doing it. there is nothing wrong with gaming so no i wouldn't stop that.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
if it is something bad for you like smoking, drinking or doing drugs then yes i would stop doing it. there is nothing wrong with gaming so no i wouldn't stop that.-Renegade
You're significant other has the right to ask you to give up RPG's and MMO's and the occasional simulator. Seems fair !