Should we all strive to become vegetarians/vegans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

Idunno I usualy eat meat twice a week (fish twice a week, and 3 days veggies only) Mostly to train my cooking skills, and because too heavy food makes me kind of sick.Maddie_Larkin

What do you eat the other 2 days a week?

#152 Posted by KungfuKitten (24776 posts) -

Idunno I usualy eat meat twice a week (fish twice a week, and 3 days veggies only) Mostly to train my cooking skills, and because too heavy food makes me kind of sick.

Tell you what, I feel completely fine with how I eat, and here is the funny part: What I eat is locally grown, and born. Yeah I see the cute lil piggy before it gets very dead.

So no, I have no plans of going vegeterian, As I am very unsure if the world can support vegetarians, the untold fields of grain used to produce bread alone, let alone the rest fills a lot of space, despite animals are more expensive, and pollute more.

But the space issue aperrently never exists when Vegetarians and vegans bring up thier points, I really have nothing against them, but we are not exactly talking local veggie gardens here people. And I still havent seen evidence that the space would be suficcient.

So cutting down on meat, all for it, better envioment for animals, always (but you vote for that with the wallet, main problem here is that most people have no idea how animals are treated and how the meat is processed. Would help if they did.

So would alot of vegetarians ofcourse, to see how many pesticides are used for veggeis, and how much it damages fresh water supplies.

So basicly most of the problems belong to how the things are made as a whole.

Maddie_Larkin
If you would make everyone live like people live in new york, all of humanity would be able to live within the state of Texas. So I think we could make some space somehow.
#153 Posted by Treflis (13365 posts) -
Why should you care what others eat? What gives you the right to point fingers? Do you think not eating meat makes you better then others and therefor justify you trying to put others down because they are different then you?
#154 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
Yeah, there's no way in hell I'm giving up my beef, pork, chicken, lamb, venison, game birds, duck et al edit: do the vegans also avoid fish? if so I'm definitely not giving up that
#155 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

No. I feel weak without meat.

#156 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

[QUOTE="WhatWouldJoshDo"]If its made by the earth its good for you, if its made by man chances are its not. I trust a cow alot more than I trust a chemist. I'm some what religeous and the bible says the Good Lord put resources on this earth for man to take advantage of. So why wouldn't we eat what was created for us to eat? Why wouldn't we eat what WE are created to eat?thegerg
"If its made by the earth its good for you, if its made by man chances are its not."
Good lord, I hope that you never have kids. They certainly won't live long.

Ralph

#157 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

No. I feel weak without meat.

soulless4now

tumblr_mab97dyxl81rncuol.png

#158 Posted by Darthkaiser (12447 posts) -
There's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian they are sensitive to anilmals, we get it, but when they try to shove it down everyone's throat Then you got a problem
#159 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darthkaiser"]There's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian they are sensitive to anilmals, we get it, but when they try to shove it down everyone's throat Then you got a problem

It's kinda like I know that several of my aquantences are vegetarians. I don't know because I've asked them or we've had a meal together, but somewhere along the line they made a point to make sure I had that knowledge.
#161 Posted by Tokugawa77 (1554 posts) -

I abstained from red meat for about eight years of my childhood, because I lived on a farm and developed an affection for the animals there. A descision I regret to this day, for the lack of protien did its toll: I am nowhere near as tall as I wanted to be...:P

#162 Posted by MetalDogGear (825 posts) -

I abstained from red meat for about eight years of my childhood, because I lived on a farm and developed an affection for the animals I interacted with. A descision I regret to this day, for the lack of protien did its toll: I am nowhere near as tall as I wanted to be...:P

Tokugawa77
But your fellow meat eaters will live no where near as long as you will ;)
#163 Posted by Tokugawa77 (1554 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

I abstained from red meat for about eight years of my childhood, because I lived on a farm and developed an affection for the animals I interacted with. A descision I regret to this day, for the lack of protien did its toll: I am nowhere near as tall as I wanted to be...:P

MetalDogGear

what are two years of life when compared to two inches of height? alas, I gave those cows life, and in return, they stole my NBA career.

#164 Posted by julian_jr (83416 posts) -
I feel as though I'd hate being strictly vegetarian. For one thing, humans have always eaten meat...
#165 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -
lol hell no.
#166 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

MetalDogGear

Have you ever eaten squirrel?

#167 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

WiiCubeM1

or any quality meat that isn't mass produced. Free range meats like bison, etc.

#168 Posted by o0squishy0o (2792 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"]

MetalDogGear

What does living mean to you? To be honest I dont remember hearing the longest living persons reason for living so long was due to not having a bacon sandwhich. Also if you eat spinich with your red meat, it actually stops the oh so scary red meat from "hurting" you ;).
#169 Posted by o0squishy0o (2792 posts) -

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

"Meat tastes good"

wis3boi

His argument is "try and eat it without seasoning"?... cool, try and eat a potato without cooking it.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
#170 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
no
#171 Posted by SuperNovaftw (2500 posts) -

Uhh nah. Chickens live in bad cramped conditions its better to just put them off their misery.

#172 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

o0squishy0o

His argument is "try and eat it without seasoning"?... cool, try and eat a potato without cooking it.

Squirrel tastes great without seasoning.

And, yes, I have eaten a potato without cooking it. They're pretty good.

#173 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (48978 posts) -
I had a couple of sausages about a week ago, they sure were tasty, and guess what, no seasonings on them.
#174 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

o0squishy0o

challenge accepted.....*spits it out*

#175 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -
[QUOTE="zenogandia"]

People can do whatever they want. I'm a vegetarian, but I won't force it down anyones throat. People like meat, so let them eat it.

MetalDogGear

People can do whatever they want. I'm a vegetarian, but I won't force it down anyones throat. People like meat, so let them eat it.

zenogandia
Well the problem is about forsaking your own selfish wants for the sake of bettering the planet.

If we were all vegans, there would be shortage of crops! we would also probably be overrun by animals if we didn't do anything to them. Btw did you know that condoms are made with a protein that is only found in cow's milk? in other words: vegans shouldnt use condoms.
#176 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

Btw did you know that condoms are made with a protein that is only found in cow's milk? in other words: vegans shouldnt use condoms.lightleggy

Dem latex cows.

#177 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Btw did you know that condoms are made with a protein that is only found in cow's milk? in other words: vegans shouldnt use condoms.Nibroc420

Dem latex cows.

Casein is used to fabricate latex.

#178 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]Btw did you know that condoms are made with a protein that is only found in cow's milk? in other words: vegans shouldnt use condoms.lightleggy

Dem latex cows.

Casein is found in the milk of all mammals.
Even people :cool:
#179 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

No, I love my steak

#180 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

No, I love my steak

Postal_Guy

Gotcha covered man

productb_bbqtofu.jpg

#181 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

Btw did you know that condoms are made with a protein that is only found in cow's milk? in other words: vegans shouldnt use condoms.lightleggy

They make condoms that use polyurethane or polyisoprene instead of latex.

#182 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

Dem latex cows.

Nibroc420

Casein is found in the milk of all mammals.
Even people :cool:

Sure as hell they dont take the one to make condoms from a nursing girl though. and even if its not from cow, its still from other animals (humans not included, as I already said they obviously dont take it from young mothers) and vegans are against that, not just against things from cows.
#183 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6364 posts) -

mmm bacon

#184 Posted by mother_farter (16668 posts) -

vegetarians and vegans are weak, MOAR MEAT!

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
#185 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13694 posts) -
Nope, people should eat whatever they want to eat.
#186 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4384 posts) -
No.. People should strive to perhaps eat more green vegetables but getting rid of meat is a bad idea. It makes it harder for our bodies to get certain nutrients we need.
#187 Posted by redstorm72 (4646 posts) -

No. Sorry, chicken wings and cheese burgers are just too good. I don't believe in being cruel to our live stock, but I have no moral qualms about eating animals.

#188 Posted by theone86 (20976 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="zenogandia"] [QUOTE="zenogandia"]

lightleggy

Well the problem is about forsaking your own selfish wants for the sake of bettering the planet.

If we were all vegans, there would be shortage of crops! we would also probably be overrun by animals if we didn't do anything to them. Btw did you know that condoms are made with a protein that is only found in cow's milk? in other words: vegans shouldnt use condoms.

That's a more complex issue than you're making it out to be and it in no way makes an omnivorous argument better than a vegetarian argument. Anytime you eat animals you are pretty much putting a greater strain on crop resources than if you were eating simply vegetables because you have to actually, ya know, feed the animals crops. Beef is the worst offender in this regard. It takes a ton of water to raise the feed for cattle and to allow them to drink, it takes a ton of crops to feed them which worsens soil degredation, it releases a huge amount of methane into the air, it is generally just a humongous drain on resources. Taking any concern for animals out of the equation, eating less or no beef is generally a quite responsible thing to do.

From there it goes down with pigs at the top, then poultry, and fish at the bottom. Fish actually take a miniscule amount of resources to produce for consumption in comparison to other forms of meat, though there are problems of overfishing and contamination of their natural habitats. That would be one positive of increased fish consumption, though, is that if we were more dependent on fish for nutrition then we might start paying a little bit more attention to these issues.

At any rate, even if all Americans (and this can pretty much apply to any industrialized nation, though most already eat far less beef than us) simply switched to just fish or poultry and fish we'd still be running into a resource problem eventually. Part of this could be solved by people not eating meat with every single meal. If you use meat and poultry to get a sufficient amount of protein and then eat vegetarian for the rest of your meals it would go a long way to ameliorating the problem of resource overconsumption.

Part of the problem, though, is that we're running out of prime farmland (arable soil, correct climate, irrigation availability). Part of that is due to subsidization of the corn industry and the use of corn in ethanol (which could be easily solved by using other plant sources such as hemp to make ethanol, but the problem is that most people leading the anti-corn ethanol charge are against ethanol in principle; could also be addressed by increased utilization of public transportation, building cleaner vehicles, using cleaner fuel sources, bikes, walking, etc.).

Part of that is also due to a complete failure of the market to properly regulate food production while addressing concerns of degredation. People need to be knowledgeable of such things and act in a concerned manner, but many producers are being pushed by market forces to do things that actually hurt long-term sustainability, such as overutilize underground aquifers.

Part of it is also due to population. There is a finite amount of use that the environment can handle. Crops are actually a replenishable resource, unlike fossil fuels, so if we consume reasonably they can last as a resource for an effectively infinite period of time. However, if we continue to take minerals out of farmland, perpetuate climate change that leads to poor growing conditions and crop failures, and continue to overutilize water resources in irrigation then we will eventually have a problem, and population ties into that. The fewer people we have to feed the less pressure we put on our food resources.

It's a problem that really transcends a vegetarian vs. omnivorous argument. Both will lead to continued diminishment of resources if we overutilize them, the key is learning how to utilize them in a sustainable manner as a society. However, all that aside, the vegetarian argument is that if there is no need to kill animals then we shouldn't.

#189 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5884 posts) -
Not vegetarians, but I do think we should eat less meat.
#190 Posted by theone86 (20976 posts) -

No. Sorry, chicken wings and cheese burgers are just too good. I don't believe in being cruel to our live stock, but I have no moral qualms about eating animals.

redstorm72

Not to pick on you personally, because a lot of people have said this and you're just the most recent, but I think this is the absolute worst justification for eating meat. To take a page out of Kant, even though I don't like to, the maxim behind your argument is essentialy "I am doing this because it makes me feel good." Now if we apply that maxim universally we obviously end up in a pretty screwed up place, but I really don't believe in the necessity of a maxim to be applied universally. Still, are there any mitigating factors which would justify this maxim being applied here where it wouldn't be, say, in the case of theft? I honestly don't see any.

#191 Posted by Hatiko (4669 posts) -

No, I'm not one of those dinosaurs with the long necks so I can't reach high enough to be a vegetarian. I'm more like a platypus.

#192 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

So you are basically saying that you are a vegitarian because it makes you feel superior to animals. I respect that (one of my best friends is a vegitarian for that same reason), but I would never be a vegitarian for that reason.

I do think that if you aren't willing to kill the animal yourself, you shouldn't eat it.

#193 Posted by DiceofSpades (63 posts) -
No, Vegetarians usually have shorter life expediencies and have a harder time gaining all nutrients they need. Making their imune system weaker among other issues.
#195 Posted by Shmiity (6095 posts) -

Nope, f*ck yourself.

Is my opinion.

#196 Posted by Shmiity (6095 posts) -

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

theone86

Not to pick on you personally, because a lot of people have said this and you're just the most recent, but I think this is the absolute worst justification for eating meat. To take a page out of Kant, even though I don't like to, the maxim behind your argument is essentialy "I am doing this because it makes me feel good." Now if we apply that maxim universally we obviously end up in a pretty screwed up place, but I really don't believe in the necessity of a maxim to be applied universally. Still, are there any mitigating factors which would justify this maxim being applied here where it wouldn't be, say, in the case of theft? I honestly don't see any.

Hey, it's Mr. Complicated. Im with Mr chicken wings. I do not give a sh*t. I have many more practical problems then deciding whether Chicken fingers are immoral. Go home.

#197 Posted by Celldrax (15043 posts) -

Meat tastes good.

Just putting it out there...

I could also never give it up. Sometimes you just feel the need for something meaty... particularly after drinking.

#198 Posted by The__Kraken (858 posts) -

No.

Last time I checked, humans are omnivores.

You wouldn't tell a lion to eat plants exclusively...

#199 Posted by tenaka2 (17053 posts) -

No.

Last time I checked, humans are omnivores.

You wouldn't tell a lion to eat plants exclusively...

The__Kraken

#200 Posted by kingdre (9456 posts) -

I don't think so.