Should we all strive to become vegetarians/vegans?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

Evolution has given us the ability to cast off the bloody chains of nature and to be better animals. We have the power to be kind to one another and I believe that this should apply to animals as well.

We've come to the point to where practically nobody has to eat meat to survive. Modern medicine and agricultural technologies have advanced to the point where we can all live as vegetarians/vegans and live healthier lives because of it.

And since we have this power, why shouldn't we?

I hear the same old excuses everytime:

"Meat tastes good"

- Wrong. Seasoning makes meat taste good. Try a hamburger without the salt and all that other junk.

"Animals eat other animals"

Some animals also eat their young. Should we eat our young as well? Obviously we are capable of being better than other animals.

But that's just my two cents.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts
no
cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
Nah
zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

People can do whatever they want. I'm a vegetarian, but I won't force it down anyones throat. People like meat, so let them eat it.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

No.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MetalDogGear

People can do whatever they want. I'm a vegetarian, but I won't force it down anyones throat. People like meat, so let them eat it.

zenogandia

zenogandia
Well the problem is about forsaking your own selfish wants for the sake of bettering the planet.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="zenogandia"]

zenogandia
Well the problem is about forsaking your own selfish wants for the sake of bettering the planet.

Me eating meat is no more selfish than you being a vegan and you do no more to better the planer than I.

How so.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
No. Meat tastes nice.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I don't know if we should all become vegetarian, but I do think that we need to eat far less meat and stop treating animals like garbage in all of those nearly unregulated slaughterhouses and factory farms.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No we should not...

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
No.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Yomanjdf? Is that you?

Are you trying to convert people to becoming vegans again?!

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="thegerg"] Me eating meat is no more selfish than you being a vegan and you do no more to better the planer than I.

How so.

You have to to explain how it is selfish, or how a change in my diet would batter the world. If you create a thread making such claims you need to support your claims before asking others to do the same.

That's fair. We consume too much animals on a daily basis. There is the cruelty of animals and the needless slaughter. There is also a huge energy usage on meat production, along with greenhouse. Not to mention water contamination.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MetalDogGear

Yomanjdf? Is that you?

Hallenbeck77
That's not me. And I'm not trying to convert people so much as I am just offering a different perspective I realize it'd be impossible to get people to stop eating meat.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Yomanjdf? Is that you?

MetalDogGear

That's not me. And I'm not trying to convert people so much as I am just offering a different perspective I realize it'd be impossible to get people to stop eating meat.

Relax...I'm just breaking balls, that's all. :P

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghoklebutter

How do you qualify "too much"? Keep in mind that a vegan or vegetarian diet also necessitates the slaughter of animals. Millions of animals are killed every year by pesticides, farm equipment, farmers, trucks transporting food, and pollution caused by agricultural processes. Don't pretend like you're not to blame for needless slaughter, water contamination, and pollution as well. thegerg

Quite a contradiction you have there.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I think, each person should make their own decision. We shouldn't be forced to become something we don't want to be. I love me some STEAK! But most of all.. I love sea food more then anything! Although, my lady is a vegetarian and I respect that. I cook vegetarian meals for her all the time and she doesn't mind the fact that, I'm not a vegetarian.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Yomanjdf? Is that you?

Hallenbeck77

Relax...I'm just breaking balls, that's all. :P

Ah ok. It's a good thing i've got balls of steel then.
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
why the fvck would we all be veggies?? we would have a world over population with animals and it would be against the law to drive them over :S and let alone all the **** that's on the streets and all that
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"]How do you qualify "too much"? Keep in mind that a vegan or vegetarian diet also necessitates the slaughter of animals. Millions of animals are killed every year by pesticides, farm equipment, farmers, trucks transporting food, and pollution caused by agricultural processes. Don't pretend like you're not to blame for needless slaughter, water contamination, and pollution as well. thegerg

Quite a contradiction you have there.

How is it a contradiction? In order to produce vegetables, fruits, and grains animals die. It's a fact.

You're saying in that post that such deaths are "needless".
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghoklebutter
why the fvck would we all be veggies?? we would have a world over population with animals and it would be against the law to drive them over :S and let alone all the **** that's on the streets and all thatnilzg
The consumption of meat is not the only means of animal population control.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="thegerg"] How is it a contradiction? In order to produce vegetables, fruits, and grains animals die. It's a fact.

You're saying in that post that such deaths are "needless".

They're only as needless as the deaths of animals to support my diet.

Well, clearly vegetarianism implies far fewer animal deaths for the sake of supporting it.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Funny seeing this topic as I'm on day 1 of being a vegetarian...
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ghoklebutter

Funny seeing this topic as I'm on day 1 of being a vegetarian...jeremiah06
How's it going so far? I find being vegetarian very easy, although I do eat meat these days.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="thegerg"] They're only as needless as the deaths of animals to support my diet.

Well, clearly vegetarianism implies far fewer animal deaths for the sake of supporting it.

This is true, but how many needless deaths and how much slaughter is acceptable?

As few as possible, by the TC's reasoning. Minimization is the name of the game here.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jeremiah06

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]Funny seeing this topic as I'm on day 1 of being a vegetarian...ghoklebutter

How's it going so far? I find being vegetarian very easy, although I do eat meat these days.

While I've enjoyed meat all my life my cravings are more geared towards snacks and soda... I'm dropping that stuff too... and you know what? I started this "trend" because of you...
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

I wonder why this topic keeps coming up on OT over and over.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

no, however, as of Tuesday I apparently beat Cancer (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, Stage 2) as the PET scan revealed the Cancer is gone. So I'm apparently in complete remission, and if there is no relapse within a couple years, I can be considered cured. Chemotherapy is a b*tch though, and I didn't even have as bad side effects as some others have.

I have learned so much about the disease that my personal eating habits will be changed and headed more vegetarian, perhaps more organic. By the way people, Broccolli is among the most important vegetables you can eat to avoid Cancer. But so is eating fish (salmon, tuna, fish like that, not tilapia) several times a week.

I can't speak that other people should strive to become vegetarians, that is their choice.

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
[QUOTE="nilzg"]why the fvck would we all be veggies?? we would have a world over population with animals and it would be against the law to drive them over :S and let alone all the **** that's on the streets and all thatghoklebutter
The consumption of meat is not the only means of animal population control.

to be clear I wasn't serious :P
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
No because we would ultimately die from a lack of oxygen and an abundance on methane.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]Funny seeing this topic as I'm on day 1 of being a vegetarian...jeremiah06

While I've enjoyed meat all my life my cravings are more geared towards snacks and soda... I'm dropping that stuff too... and you know what? I started this "trend" because of you...

Me? What did I do to convince you to do all of that? :S (Unless "you" is general)
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jeremiah06
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] How's it going so far? I find being vegetarian very easy, although I do eat meat these days.ghoklebutter

Me? What did I do to convince you to do all of that? :S (Unless "you" is general)

Unless im mistaken you talked about loosing 166 pounds after becoming one...
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
No.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="jeremiah06"] While I've enjoyed meat all my life my cravings are more geared towards snacks and soda... I'm dropping that stuff too... and you know what? I started this "trend" because of you...

Oh, my. I didn't lose that much weight! I definitely lost a significant amount of weight, but not that much. I'd be dead if I lost that much. :P In any case, eating less meat or no meat at all is a great way to lose weight. Just make sure that you have plenty of healthy things to compensate for the lack of meat because vegetarians who replace meat with more junk food pretty much never lose weight.
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jeremiah06
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"] Me? What did I do to convince you to do all of that? :S (Unless "you" is general)

Oh, my. I didn't lose that much weight! I definitely lost a significant amount of weight, but not that much. I'd be dead if I lost that much. :P In any case, eating less meat or no meat at all is a great way to lose weight. Just make sure that you have plenty of healthy things to compensate for the lack of meat because vegetarians who replace meat with more junk food pretty much never lose weight.

Yeah thats why im giving up soda and snacks...
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="jeremiah06"] Unless im mistaken you talked about loosing 166 pounds after becoming one...

Yeah thats why im giving up soda and snacks...

Good on you. You should probably do it in smaller steps, though. Personally, I'd give up soda first and then unhealthy snacks.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CHOASXIII

Giving up soda? What world is this? D:

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ghoklebutter

CHOASXIII
I'll have you know that giving up soda, for some people, can lead to them losing all of their excess fat. I know a few people for whom that was, in fact, the case. It's certainly not easy, though.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CHOASXIII

[QUOTE="CHOASXIII"]

ghoklebutter

I'll have you know that giving up soda, for some people, can lead to them losing all of their excess fat. I know a few people for whom that was, in fact, the case. It's certainly not easy, though.

Not surprised tbh.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are crap
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghoklebutter
yes, but the transition should be made easier by vegetarian alternatives to normal diets that people can live with, who knows maybe they'll have some processed vegetable products that'll taste just like bacon and steak and chicken and all that and once that's done then maybe people will make the transition effortlessly, until then though no tofu hotdogs are craplamprey263
Tofu isn't the only possible meat substitute. There are all sorts of good faux meat products in health food stores. They already exist (even the processed vegetable foods you speak of).
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MetalDogGear

Alright, the stupid website wouldn't load for like an hour.

Obviously there are evils with every action. I don't deny the animals that lose their homes and get killed in the soy bean fields.

I don't deny the pollution that plant production produces.

These are all true.

However

We should minimalize our impact on nature. And veganism/vegetarianism is far less destructive than meat production.