Should the MPAA get rid of the PG-13 rating?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
In a way i can see it being good to get rid of PG-13, it would be like in the old days when Jaws was PG. Of course people would complain that a PG moovie is too violent, but thats their fault for seeing it. Jaws was PG and that was pretty bloody.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out.
clock_of_omens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 clock_of_omens
Member since 2005 • 5595 Posts
no its fine
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
There isn't really much of a difference. It's just a suggestion and a way to inform parents. There is no law in place that stops children under 13 from buying tickets to PG13 movies.
MythofSisyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MythofSisyphus
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts

You're making no sense. You say it would be a good thing, but you don't say how other than "Jawas was PG." How dies this contribute to your argument at all??

Having an additional rating in the system allows for more precision, and thus people know more about the movie going on. If anything there should be MORE ratings, not less.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Film-Guy

I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. Wilfred_Owen

I think the rating system in the U.S is very flawed, the rating system in the U.K is much better.

MythofSisyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MythofSisyphus
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. Film-Guy

I think the rating system in the U.S is very flawed, the rating system in the U.K is much better.

Care to elaborate?

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Film-Guy

You're making no sense. You say it would be a good thing, but you don't say how other than "Jawas was PG." How dies this contribute to your argument at all??

Having an additional rating in the system allows for more precision, and thus people know more about the movie going on. If anything there should be MORE ratings, not less.

MythofSisyphus

The reason I don

i dont like the PG 13 rating much is that hollywood makes many movis dumb down to it, die hard 4 for example was dumbed down to a PG 13 and that is just pathetic. Many films that were PG back when they came out would be PG 13 or R now, movies like Airplane and Flash Gordan for example.

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 a55assin
Member since 2005 • 7603 Posts

I would have cared...but I'm old enough not to anymore.

Wolf-avatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Wolf-avatar
Member since 2007 • 7783 Posts
No one follows those ratings anyway.My parents let me play resident evil 4 when I was 12 along with other games like Doom and stuff.Resident Evil 4 is tha best.Now im 13 and Iv beat Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4.I beat resident Evil 4 like 8 times.
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. Film-Guy

Except the 12a rating which is a waste of time and basically the same as the PG-13...

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. MythofSisyphus

Care to elaborate?

A movie can get an R for violence and it gets to keep most of the violence, but it has to edit out alot of sexual content or it might even get an NC-17. I dont know who decided that sex is worse than violence, whoever thinks that it is well...thats just sad. In the U.K they have the ratings U, PG, 12, 15 and 18. It has more ratings, but I think its more effective. An Film over here that gets an R like the Haunting got a 12 in England. Watch This Film is not yet rated to get more insight to how the ratings system in the U.S is flawed.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts
It's perfectly fine as it is.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. Samwel_X

Except the 12a rating which is a waste of time and basically the same as the PG-13...

I thought it was just 12:? anyway I know the U,K has more ratings than the U.S and it seems like i am against more ratings, but what the U.K does is more effective. Even if they do censor or ban some movies like a clockwork orange.

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
Well, the way I see it getting rid of the PG-13 rating would cause many of those movies to become R. Not good for me.
dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
[QUOTE="MythofSisyphus"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Care to elaborate?

A movie can get an R for violence and it gets to keep most of the violence, but it has to edit out alot of sexual content or it might even get an NC-17. I dont know who decided that sex is worse than violence, whoever thinks that it is well...thats just sad. In the U.K they have the ratings U, PG, 12, 15 and 18. It has more ratings, but I think its more effective. An Film over here that gets an R like the Haunting got a 12 in England. Watch This Film is not yet rated to get more insight to how the ratings system in the U.S is flawed.

it's not just nudity that can warrant you an NC-17 rating, language to. clerks almost got an NC-17 rating because of language. that's pretty ridiculous.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="MythofSisyphus"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. dooly420

Care to elaborate?

it's not just nudity that can warrant you an NC-17 rating, language to. clerks almost got an NC-17 rating because of language. that's pretty ridiculous.

Language and Sex seem to be worse than violence, logic at its finest:roll:

Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
I think the MPAA's actual ratings are ok, but the way they rate movies is ridiculous. When a totally innocent and wonderful film like Once gets rated R because of a few F-words, I have a problem. When a movie can have some pretty intense violence and get a PG-13 but a movie with nudity and little violence will get rated R, I have a problem.

They have indeed gotten slightly better over the last few years (Across the Universe stayed PG-13 even though it had nudity, as well as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which had both female AND male nudity and kept a PG-13), but there are still many flaws.

I can't wait to see This Film Is Not Yet Rated, it's on my Netflix queve.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Film-Guy

I think the MPAA's actual ratings are ok, but the way they rate movies is ridiculous. When a totally innocent and wonderful film like Once gets rated R because of a few F-words, I have a problem. When a movie can have some pretty intense violence and get a PG-13 but a movie with nudity and little violence will get rated R, I have a problem.

They have indeed gotten slightly better over the last few years (Across the Universe stayed PG-13 even though it had nudity, as well as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which had both female AND male nudity but kept a PG-13), but there are still many flaws.

Rockclmbr6

I don't get how they can give Once an R, it seems so dumb to me.

whos_next000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whos_next000
Member since 2006 • 11892 Posts
Ratings don't really matter to me anymore.
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
It's fine the way it is.
dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
[QUOTE="dooly420"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"][QUOTE="MythofSisyphus"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Care to elaborate?

Language and Sex seem to be worse than violence, logic at its finest:roll:

it's insane the way they rate movies. if a movie has the f-word 2 or more times, it get's an R rating. doesn't matter what else is in the movie.
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts

[QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"]I think the MPAA's actual ratings are ok, but the way they rate movies is ridiculous. When a totally innocent and wonderful film like Once gets rated R because of a few F-words, I have a problem. When a movie can have some pretty intense violence and get a PG-13 but a movie with nudity and little violence will get rated R, I have a problem.

They have indeed gotten slightly better over the last few years (Across the Universe stayed PG-13 even though it had nudity, as well as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which had both female AND male nudity but kept a PG-13), but there are still many flaws.

Film-Guy

I don't get how they can give Once an R, it seems so dumb to me.

I know. When I saw the movie in theaters with my mom she didn't even know it was rated R until I told her a week after we saw it. She thought it was rated PG. It also REALLY makes me mad because it would be the perfect movie to show in choir or any other music related cIass(and because it's probably my favorite movie haha), but my director can't show it because it's R.

It's like how Cloverfield got a PG-13 over Once. Cloverfield is a really intense movie and even has blood and gore, but somehow that's more appropriate for kids than a few words that they hear everyday at school.
A_Tarkovsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 A_Tarkovsky
Member since 2008 • 2929 Posts
I think we should drop the NC-17 rating.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Film-Guy

I think we should drop the NC-17 rating. A_Tarkovsky

Its never really used anyway, whenether a movie gets the rating they censor it so whats the point in having it?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
no, i just wish filmakers wouldn't pander to the u13 audiance to get more viewers when a movie clearly should be r rated but is watered down to get a pg-13 rating...
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

Not so much the PG-13 rating, as the entire system. Violence galore, however, God forbid any boobs be shown. :|

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Rockclmbr6

yeah, that was like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, which is family friendly aside from one scene where he curses out a rental car lady.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Link256

By the way, for anyone interested in the subject, if you have not seen it yet, This Flim Is Not Yet Rated is something you all should see.

Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts
We should get rid of the MPAA rating system altogether. It gives parents, in general, the wrong information. If people (parents, mostly) care so much about the suggestive content in any movie, wouldn't it be easier to list those out without the actual rating system getting in the way of their judgement?
gman56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 gman56
Member since 2004 • 6542 Posts
No, because it makes things more specific. I think otherwise I would be too vague.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

By the way, for anyone interested in the subject, if you have not seen it yet, This Flim Is Not Yet Rated is something you all should see.

Link256

yup. saw it. is that the one where they try to figure out who the ppl on the ratings board actually are?

ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts
To be honest, I have no idea if they should get rid of the PG-13 rating. I honestly don't pay attention to the ratings (when I can) when I watch films because I love to be surprised.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Link256
[QUOTE="Link256"]

comp_atkins

yup. saw it. is that the one where they try to figure out who the ppl on the ratings board actually are?

That would be correct.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I dont see no point in changing the rating system. It would just be pointless.
-R3Vo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -R3Vo
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts
Awful logic, awful question; there's nothing wrong with it.
Sora529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Sora529
Member since 2006 • 3755 Posts

I don't see why they would. It'd be kind of pointless, and you'd probably hear about a lot of angry parents who let their kids see movies that they thought were fine, but turned out to be too intense.

Doesn't really affect me though, since I'm old enough to buy R-Rated tickets now.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Film-Guy

I don't see why they would. It'd be kind of pointless, and you'd probably hear about a lot of angry parents who let their kids see movies that they thought were fine, but turned out to be too intense.

Doesn't really affect me though, since I'm old enough to buy R-Rated tickets now.

Sora529

I know there would be many angry parents, but what about before when movies like Jaws were PG? Did parents complain back then or have standerds just changed?

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
It's PG-13. Who cares! NC-17 is completely useless as fas I'm concern.
Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts

G, PG.... R?

PG-13 is fine... there is nothing wrong with it. They can't really stop you from seeing a PG-13 movie. They don't usually check your age for R movies too (where I live anyway).

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
If it kicks PG-13 Horror movies up to being rated R, im all for it.
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
Hollywood should stop churning out such **** movies ie parody movies, horror movies that are PG-13 like that remake Prom Night, and many other examples. I would love to see this happen, and quickly before I completely stop seeing movies.
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts

Even if they do censor or ban some movies like a clockwork orange.

Film-Guy

A Clockwork Orange was never banned by the BBFC, it was simply taken out of circulation by Kubrick after a supposed copy cat killing.

Also the BBFC has become far more lenient in years, and hardly anything is cut these days. If anything more gets past the BBFC than the MPAA because anyone will show an 18 rated film... we got Lust Caution in its full version released nationwide.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d495c81bdf
deactivated-582d495c81bdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 deactivated-582d495c81bdf
Member since 2008 • 751 Posts

no

jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

In a way i can see it being good to get rid of PG-13, it would be like in the old days when Jaws was PG. Of course people would complain that a PG moovie is too violent, but thats their fault for seeing it. Jaws was PG and that was pretty bloody.Film-Guy

i was watching the Bounty with my dad and it was pg... there were naked women for about 40 minutes... to save me from that akwardness again then yes keep the pg-13 rating...

AndrewXXXXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AndrewXXXXXX
Member since 2005 • 4362 Posts

I think the rating system is fine. What isn't fine is the amount of crap that is coming out. Wilfred_Owen

I second that!

AndrewXXXXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AndrewXXXXXX
Member since 2005 • 4362 Posts

It's PG-13. Who cares! NC-17 is completely useless as fas I'm concern.lancelot200

THANK YOU!!!! I went to see Lust, Caution in the theatres because I have been waiting for it for so long....and it turns out, you can't have ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 17 in the theatre AT ALL.....what kind of bull is that?