Should Students be Held back? W/ Poll

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mindbender244
Member since 2003 • 861 Posts

In every school there are certain students who do not reach a certain standards and have to be held back a year in school. Do you think this is the right thing to do? Do you think that the kids will be negatively or positively affected?

I think kids should be held back. If a student cannot reach, let's say, a 50% average, they obviously do not know the material required and should be taught it again. I sure they might feel bad at first, but later on they might strive to be better to prove themselves. Although there are lots of people who are against holding kids back, I still think they should be held back.

What are your thoughts?

Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts

If they're stupid, you make them unstupid, if they're smart, let them be smarter.

No flaws in that logic, really, except some of the idiotic stuff they teach in schools nowadays. 

mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mindbender244

If they're stupid, you make them unstupid, if they're smart, let them be smarter.

No flaws in that logic, really, except some of the idiotic stuff they teach in schools nowadays.

Greatgone12

Would making them repeat a year make them unstupid? Or would pushing them foward onto material they don't completely understand make them unstupid?

Greatgone12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Greatgone12
Member since 2005 • 25469 Posts
[QUOTE="Greatgone12"]

mindbender244

Would making them repeat a year make them unstupid? Or would pushing them foward onto material they don't completely understand make them unstupid?

Get them to learn what they need to learn, lather, rinse, repeat, send them down the conveyer belt until they die from some way or another. That's all life is, really.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts

Greatgone12
Indeed.
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Bad if you ask me.

it could totaly ruin ther lives, all ther friends move on, every1 making fun of you, graduating a year later, no friends in your ****, outcast, make you depressed.

I think teachers SHOULD NOT hold them back and find somthing else. Summer school w.e

Im stronlgly against it
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
Usually the people that don't pass do so because they just don't try.  Very rarely have I ever seen someone who tried hard in school and didn't pass.  Come to think of it, I can't think of a single person I've ever known in that situation.
FLSTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FLSTS
Member since 2007 • 2432 Posts
See, this is what summer school is for.8)
lugiemojeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lugiemojeed
Member since 2004 • 8785 Posts
all i can think about is no child left behind
GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
I think they should be held back if they fail about half of their classes. But if they pass all thier classes, standfords, finals, and takks but fail one test on the takks and be held back, it is very unjustified to do so. Obviously you can tell its happened.
Avatar image for BEAN_LARD_MULCH
BEAN_LARD_MULCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BEAN_LARD_MULCH
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

Now,
If the person has failed all of his or her core subjects, (math social english science), then the person does not deserved to be moved on. If they get made fun of and made stupid, that is their OWN fault, because they were too dam lazy to study and such.
However,
If the person has passed all his or her core subjects, then they deserved to be moved on.
End of story.

nsoufiani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 nsoufiani
Member since 2004 • 1829 Posts
[QUOTE="mindbender244"][QUOTE="Greatgone12"]

Greatgone12

Get them to learn what they need to learn, lather, rinse, repeat, send them down the conveyer belt until they die from some way or another. That's all life is, really.

theres more to life than that.

Sparky-05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Sparky-05
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

I agree mate, people should be held back. I mean do it situation by situation, but hold the majority of those who can't get that 50% average back. I have been a victim of the system in a sense, over dramatic I know, but I have lost months at a time where people who were slid through school spend months of the classes time trying to figure out what going on. And well thats not fair to say, it was the majority of the class that blew the other peoples time. Too many times I have had to sit through class during a review from the previous year 2 weeks into october. Now, I like others have not been given every possible second towards enhancing my eduation. Not to be all self-rightious or anything, but its not fair in any way.

Though, like I said do it case by case, no need to punish those who are speds and such, but hold the people back who just won't work, maybe it will be good incentive to do your work, the year your supposed to do it ...

I don't know ... 

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
Three quarter of the things you learn in school have no value to you once your out.
dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dorklance
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts
let them pass if they fail.... schools are geting why to overcrowded....
dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dorklance
way to overcrowded...i mean
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

let them pass if they fail.... schools are geting why to overcrowded....dorklance

And what will happen is that there will be more people unqualified to get well-paying jobs because they aren't smart enough.  More money needs to be put into schools so each child has the opportunity to succeed and graduate with knowledge instilled in them, not because there wasn't enough room for them.

Yes, if a child cannot meet academic standards, they need to be held back until they succesfully complete  their grade.  It isn't fair to them, and it isn't fair the rest of the class, along with the teachers who have to work harder to get them to understand 6th grade math when they couldn't complete 5th grade math.

dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dorklance

[QUOTE="dorklance"]let them pass if they fail.... schools are geting why to overcrowded....JustPlainLucas

And what will happen is that there will be more people unqualified to get well-paying jobs because they aren't smart enough. More money needs to be put into schools so each child has the opportunity to succeed and graduate with knowledge instilled in them, not because there wasn't enough room for them.

Yes, if a child cannot meet academic standards, they need to be held back until they succesfully complete their grade. It isn't fair to them, and it isn't fair the rest of the class, along with the teachers who have to work harder to get them to understand 6th grade math when they couldn't complete 5th grade math.

they will be out-source....duh...i sware the more i think about it each generation is geting dumber....i blame mtv for it.. or shows like jack ass and i love new york...its killing the mind's of the youth...
AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#19 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts

It's only a matter of time before they won't be held back anymore.

Heck, did you know it's outlawed to write a kid's name on the board now? Apparently it means you're singling them out and breaking their self-esteem. 

Regardless, they should be. School should never be about how old you are, it should be about how much you've learned. 

videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
How is this about morals, exactly?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts
It is good if students get held back. It simply means they are not ready to move on to the next level. For example, if a student can't get pass level 1 in Tetris, how is he/she suppose to get pass level 2 if it is only going to be harder?
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
Have the kid go through summerschool. Being held back a year would damage the child intensely.
dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dorklance

It's only a matter of time before they won't be held back anymore.

Heck, did you know it's outlawed to write a kid's name on the board now? Apparently it means you're singling them out and breaking their self-esteem.

Regardless, they should be. School should never be about how old you are, it should be about how much you've learned.

AquaMantor

well it seem's to me the students have more power then the teachers...i rember in high school a few years ago...a class mate in my english class yawned after the teacher was talking about something i forget what...i think it was something to do with the meap..testing..and she started to cry and left the class room for 5 mins. the reason she cryed was becouse of the no student left behind act. and how school are budget by how well the students do. it can cost a teacher there job...imo i think is total bull **** i hate how the school system are run theses days....they should just have the school like they do in russia i belive whare the kids will do a test at 8..or 9 years old. and it would place them for there school..dempending how well they do.

becouse if a kid is failing in high school...you know they dont care...they should not be able to cost a teachers job...no mater how hard the teacher try's to get the kids grades up. some people just dont care...about school or there future.

jacintos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 jacintos09
Member since 2007 • 1466 Posts

We discussed this in my educational psychology class. Honestly, it's more complicated that people might want to think about. Holding a kid back is no guarantee that they'll be able to comprehend the second time around, and pushing them forward is no guarantee that they'll be able to make up for whatever they didn't get before.

And it's not always so simple as "hey he's lazy so he deserves to be held back and take the embarrassment." If it were that simple, I don't think there'd be as much conflict about it. Personally, I'm more in favor of summer school, extra tutoring, and just about anything else ahead of holding the kid back. It can do a lot of extra damage, deserved or not.

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
No, some kids may not get some of the material, but making them redo everything again is wrong. If someone doesnt understand the whole year, yeah maybe, but if they fail 2 classes in one semester, no.
Avatar image for Denjin_hadouken
Denjin_hadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Denjin_hadouken
Member since 2007 • 5927 Posts
No. I think they should just be kicked out of school if they don't do well. That way, we won't run out of people with low education to do the jobs that us educated and rich people don't want to do.
videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
No. I think they should just be kicked out of school if they don't do well. That way, we won't run out of people with low education to do the jobs that us educated and rich people don't want to do.Denjin_hadouken
Winner. I agree 150% It is like you are reading my mind.
dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dorklance
whare would they go then...there parants pay taxes. they have the right to fail...if they want.
Zero-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zero-Pirate
Member since 2003 • 2156 Posts

I think this is one of the major flaws in the American educational system, and it's starting to become an issue in Canada's as well.

Yes kids should be held back!  They failed their classes and should not be able to continue to the next level.  This is resulting in a dumbing down of much of the classes that kids are taking, in order for these kids that are getting pushed through to have some sort of a chance at comprehending more advanced material.  It's absolutely ridiculous!

And yes, for many people, much of what is learned in primary school will be pretty much useless.  However, learning that material allows people to have options upon graduation.  Sure if your life's ambition is to pump gas, you won't need to know most of that stuff.  But learning it opens the doors to whatever possibilities a person desires.  These kids that are getting pushed through are basically denied many options because they have not learned much of the material offered to them.  Holding them back gives them that opportunity, by showing them that if they want to succeed, they will have to put in the work for it.

I apologize for the length of that, but this really bothers me.

fantasyfacade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 fantasyfacade
Member since 2006 • 8317 Posts

I think being held back is a good thing. If you were incapable of doing what you were meant to do in class the only thing is to  do it again or its going to end up like throwing a person into the deep end of the pool before they learn to swim.

People mentally mature at different rates, I think in general the whole class by age thing sucks, because of that fact. You should teach someone what their metal capable of learning. Therefore you can progress at a rate that suits you and don't have to go slow or too fast for what you can and can't handle.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
Personally I think that you should be kicked out of the school system if you show such an unwillingness to learn.  Taxpayers don't need to pay for your sorry ass to graduate and land a useless job.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I think holding kids back is generally bad but I really don't see much alternative.

First any kid that actually tries, dumb or not is not going to get held back.  So that means kids that get held back generally don't care about school in the first place, nor any consiquences of it.  Also my guess is that many kids that are held back are also disturbances in the classroom also.  They are going to hinder the learning of students no matter what level you put them at.  Schools need to start developing programs for these students that give them some motovation not to be career criminals, or leech of welfare for the next 30 odd years.

You could try some sort of summer boot camp for kids that would staighten a few out, or at least scare them enough to try hard so they wouldn't get stuck in it next year. 

mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mindbender244

I think being held back is a good thing. If you were incapable of doing what you were meant to do in class the only thing is to do it again or its going to end up like throwing a person into the deep end of the pool before they learn to swim.

fantasyfacade

I agree with that. I added a poll. Thanks for everyones responses. :) Does anyone else have anything else to say?

dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dorklance
if a  kid get's held back..just but them in a sped class. btw..im not jokeing
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I was :(
MOM-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 MOM-D
Member since 2005 • 5222 Posts
I think students held back.If an kid has not interest in skool and they dont ecel what they do they should be held back
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
When I started my freshman year of high school I made a friend. He was a freshman too. Fast forward to the senior year of high school, he started the year still a freshman. Being held back doesn't really make some people consider "doing enough" to progress a grade. Though I guess he sweet talked guidance or something, because hes going to graduate and get a diploma with the current graduating class. Theres always loopholes in being heldback.
dorklance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dorklance

I was :(Guiltfeeder566
i was to

in fact i use to hate being in a sped class....but it made me work harder in school...and by high school my only sped class was study hall. but it did help. and if anyone makes fun of someone going to sped they can just go to hell...... 

MronoC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 MronoC
Member since 2005 • 4113 Posts
yes, if they don't understand the material, what good could forcing them into new, more advanced material possibly do?
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts

AquaMantor
Source plz.
mindbender244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mindbender244
need....more....votes....
sellia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sellia
Member since 2007 • 555 Posts
Yes because i want to see someone with a beard in grade 6
Account_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Account_27
Member since 2005 • 13426 Posts

No. I think they should just be kicked out of school if they don't do well. That way, we won't run out of people with low education to do the jobs that us educated and rich people don't want to do.Denjin_hadouken

Agreed.Â