Should soldiers who die in combat be considered as heroes?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by AFBrat77 (26277 posts) -

I voted no, but I don't like the black and white Poll answer, should have taken advantage of the 5 posible answers GS allows.

Anyhow, if they died doing something heroic, then yes they should. Otherwise no.

#52 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

Yea

#53 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

No...I'm pretty sure they are not trying to die.MgamerBD

Of course they're not trying to die but they are putting their lives on the line for whatever it is they are defending.

#54 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35516 posts) -

I would say a large amount of soldiers are heroes whether they die or not, based on the fact that they were brave enough to go through with such a dangerous profession that many would never think of doing. Then there are times where a soldier may jump on a grenade to protect the lives of other people or other such cases.

#55 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

Anyone willing to risk their lives to protect others is a hero in my book. Soldier, Policeman, Fireman, the guy who runs into a burning building, etc.

#56 Posted by Tykain (3887 posts) -
They are not any more heroes than anyone else dying on their job, unless they actually died doing some heroic feat. most are just victims of the war, not heroes. Soldiers are not soldier to sacrifice themselves in order to protect their country or whatever the army fight for, they are because the army offered them a career - while they might believe in what they fight for, they are in it predominantly for themselves.
#57 Posted by lonewolfman10 (528 posts) -

I would believe so

#58 Posted by VanDammFan (4721 posts) -

sorry but i think the term "hero" is thrown around far to easily these days..Just because you are a soldier, or fireman, or police,ect does not automatically make you a "hero"..its your job...simple..

#59 Posted by coolkid93 (6732 posts) -
They put their lives on the line for others so yes of course.
#60 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"]No...I'm pretty sure they are not trying to die.Goyoshi12

Of course they're not trying to die but they are putting their lives on the line for whatever it is they are defending.

Not every one of them is a saint.
#61 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -

They are not any more heroes than anyone else dying on their jobTykain
Completely disagree.

#62 Posted by DevilishStyles (766 posts) -

They're more of a hero than anyone who has posted in this thread. The fact that they're willing to sacrafice themselves for their country says a lot. 

#63 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

They're more of a hero than anyone who has posted in this thread. The fact that they're willing to sacrafice themselves for their country says a lot. 

DevilishStyles
Quite the generalization there.
#64 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
Being one that has been in the army i can tell you soldiers don't look at themselves as heroes
#65 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -
yes mostly but no in some cases