Should old people be put down at a certain age?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
#1 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

We all get older, and most have grand parents which we love dearly. And I totally respect the fact that if it wasn't for the elderly, certain wars wouldn't of been won giving us the opportunity to live as we do today, safely.

But, with people living longer and longer, and care for the elderly getting more ridiculous financially..

In the future, should we be given the opportunity to live out our lifes to a ripe old age of 80, 90 or even 100, what ever the burden, what ever the cost or situation..

Or should we be allowed to get to a certain age before gracefully swallowing a painfree pill or recieving an gentle injection which sends us into a peaceful eternal sleep making room for youth?

#2 Posted by CHOASXIII (14696 posts) -

Lolwut? We shouldn't put down anyone for being any age, that's a ridiculous idea.

#3 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

You can kill yourself at any age... I think we should put down those vegetable people to be honest.

#4 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Sounds like a great idea until you reach that age. Everyone has a right to live, regardless of their age. The elderly have done their service to society already.

#5 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

this is gonna end well

#6 Posted by ItsJoeMama (184 posts) -

Yes. Just like race horses.

#7 Posted by MissLibrarian (9589 posts) -

Good grief no.

#8 Posted by johnd13 (9290 posts) -

Everyone has the right to live. How could you ask sth like that?

#9 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10053 posts) -
That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of in OT, and that's saying something.
#10 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30068 posts) -

I think you should kill yourself first OP, to set an example.

#11 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

Sounds like a great idea until you reach that age. Everyone has a right to live, regardless of their age. The elderly have done their service to society already.

jim_shorts

Yeah, all of the sudden when you're 80 and feeling great the idea of ending your life isn't going to seem damn near as appealing. It's just a dumb idea.

Plently of old people are completely self-sufficient in terms of finances. Not all of them are a financial burden, and as for the other big argument: population control isn't even a huge problem atm, child birth rates have decreased in most countries. Yes we could eventually become overpopulated, and it is something that will most likely eventually happen, but it's not this impending doom that some make it out to be.

#12 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

I'm for taking away their driver's license. Anything past that , your on your own.

#13 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22648 posts) -

Yes. Just like the race horses.

ItsJoeMama

I thought race horses get to stud when they get old? Well, the good ones anyway.

I'd like to retire from work and live the rest of my life passing on my genes. :lol:

#14 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
At a certain age, no, at a certain loss of ability, maybe, if they request it ahead of time. If or when I get to such a state that I cannot function in the way that I would like, I would like to be euthanized. I think death should be a choice. I don't think anyone should make that choice for another person (in regards to euthanasia, not life support of course) because it would lead to a lot of people being more or less murdered in order to gain access to money, inheritance and simply to rid themselves of having to care for the person. That's not ok. I'm all for being 'put down', but only if it's entirely voluntary and decided beforehand and documented, like a will, or the forms they use in hospitals for a patient to dictate when they would like to come off life support, if life support were needed after a surgery gone wrong or something.
#15 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Not any age, just those who no longer want to live, should have the option.
#16 Posted by cslayer211 (797 posts) -
IIRC what your saying was a policy in some book where old people got sent to some place to be killed at a certain age... completely forget which book it was though, anyone know?
#17 Posted by OyVay (224 posts) -
Of course, it makes perfect sense. After a certain age... Your ability to learn is lost.
#18 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
Not any age, just those who no longer want to live, should have the option.Zeviander
This. Although, It would be nice if old people could stop voting since they're far behind the times at that point.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
#19 Posted by CycleOfViolence (2813 posts) -

No

#20 Posted by muller39 (14953 posts) -

Not at all.

#21 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

IIRC what your saying was a policy in some book where old people got sent to some place to be killed at a certain age... completely forget which book it was though, anyone know?cslayer211

The movie "logan's Run" was based on a book written by 'W Noland' and 'G.C Johnson'.. But humans were terminated at just 30 years of age

#22 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="cslayer211"]IIRC what your saying was a policy in some book where old people got sent to some place to be killed at a certain age... completely forget which book it was though, anyone know?DecadesOfGaming

The movie "logan's Run" was based on a book written by 'W Noland' and 'G.C Johnson'.. But humans were terminated at just 30 years of age

There's also an old Star Trek TNG episode about this.
#23 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22648 posts) -

IIRC what your saying was a policy in some book where old people got sent to some place to be killed at a certain age... completely forget which book it was though, anyone know?cslayer211

The movie, "Logan's Run?"

#24 Posted by MissLibrarian (9589 posts) -

Soilent Green Is PEOPLE!

#25 Posted by TacticaI (1273 posts) -

Are you suggesting, with respect to the elderly, we actually define what a burden is and then have them killed...no, gracefully swallow pills, should they be deemed a financial burden? You've got to be **** kidding me.

#26 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
Was it maybe The Giver? I know they killed people in that book, that was a crazy-ass book for kids to read. If you didn't fit in with the norm they killed you or something.
#27 Posted by fueled-system (6529 posts) -

I have seen some bad threads over my many years here but man...this one might be the worst yet..

#28 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
I know there's a call for everyone living longer and that action must be taken but killing them? I mean where will it end? If 80 is too old then what about the 78 year old woman who require constant care day in day out? Should she be put down?(hypothetical woman). What about paralyzed people, they need the same care or sometimes even more to get out of bed or even dressed, should they also die? I think you're being more ageist rather than trying to solve a problem.
#29 Posted by Bloodseeker23 (8338 posts) -
Who are you to govern over life of a human?
#30 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7014 posts) -
Uhhhh no.
#31 Posted by Lu-Kang (1010 posts) -

lol no unless they really don't wanna live anymore.

#32 Posted by hiphops_savior (8438 posts) -
This thread is insane. It's almost as bad as the Panel of Death rhetoric.
#33 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

[QUOTE="cslayer211"]IIRC what your saying was a policy in some book where old people got sent to some place to be killed at a certain age... completely forget which book it was though, anyone know?jun_aka_pekto

The movie, "Logan's Run?"

There was some story about this village where once you got old (I dunno, 60 or something, I don't remember) you were sent to the woods to die. Then there was something about threading a string through a curvy hollowed out stick, and nobody in the village could figure out how to do it except one old person who tied the string to an ant and put some sugar on the other side. And after that the old folks were allowed to live. And the moral of the story was your grandma is smart than you or some sh*t. F*cked if I can remember the name of it though, it's been probably 25 years since I read it in school.

#34 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6960 posts) -

What a dumb idea. But you are right, old people are a burden. But your idea seems like something Hitler would think of.

Should all people start working at age 10, and after they are too old to work (age 70) be killed? that would be super effecient for the economy and military, breeding a race of super humans. And then 95% of the population would be paying tax, only kids age 1-9 won't.

While we're at it, lets make 7 day work weeks, no holiday and 14 hour work shifts. Imagine the economical benefits!

#35 Posted by Treflis (13341 posts) -
I see someone has seen "Logan's Run" and thought " Hey, that's not a bad idea" Yeah...It is a bad idea.
#36 Posted by Omni-Wrath (1970 posts) -

Yes. Personally, all the mentally retarded people, people who can't move, people who are vegetables, and people who don't have jobs should also be put down. With getting rid of all the useless people on the Earth, we can fix our economy and have a true society--a society in which everyone is productive!

Honestly, we can circumvent old people from being a financial burden by introducing microchips that cause their bodies to not decay as fast and shock them when they are not being productive. Then, we should get rid of the retirement program and make sure people work--retirement only fuels unproductively and laziness.

#37 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
No. Giving the state the right to decide life and death would be extremely dangerous. Even then, the elderly still to contribute to society in terms of family relations, in jobs and the voluntary sector, among many, many other things.
#38 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -

Soilent Green Is PEOPLE!

MissLibrarian
Eh....Ketchup fixes anything.
#39 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

lol

#40 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

You can kill yourself at any age... I think we should put down those vegetable people to be honest.

Fightingfan

when you say 'vegetable people'.. Do you mean broccoli people and cauliflower people?;)

#41 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

What a dumb idea. But you are right, old people are a burden. But your idea seems like something Hitler would think of.

Should all people start working at age 10, and after they are too old to work (age 70) be killed? that would be super effecient for the economy and military, breeding a race of super humans. And then 95% of the population would be paying tax, only kids age 1-9 won't.

While we're at it, lets make 7 day work weeks, no holiday and 14 hour work shifts. Imagine the economical benefits!

Mozelleple112

now that's just silly isn't it! lol

#42 Posted by Omni-Wrath (1970 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"]

DecadesOfGaming

now that's just silly isn't it! lol

As about vacuous as your original statement.

#43 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

Are you suggesting, with respect to the elderly, we actually define what a burden is and then have them killed...no, gracefully swallow pills, should they be deemed a financial burden? You've got to be **** kidding me.

TacticaI

Would you like to be a burden on your children at 90 years old? Washing you, taking you to the toilet! Lets be honest, it's probably better for everyone concerned if you simply wasn't around !:)

#45 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

Would you like to be a burden on your children at 90 years old? Washing you, taking you to the toilet! Lets be honest, it's probably better for everyone concerned if you simply wasn't around !:)

DecadesOfGaming

You just lost my respect by posting this.

#47 Posted by Bloodseeker23 (8338 posts) -

[QUOTE="TacticaI"]

DecadesOfGaming

You were a burden to them when you were a baby. Stfu and pay your dues.
#48 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

[QUOTE="DecadesOfGaming"]

bloodling

Im just being honest, I certainly wouldn't want my children to be my carers when older.. I love them too much to want then to see me like that.. It simply wouldn't be fair to them.. Would want them to live their life.

#49 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

DecadesOfGaming

Im just being honest, I certainly wouldn't want my children to be my carers when older.. I love them too much to want then to see me like that.. It simply wouldn't be fair to them.. Would want them to live their life.

What does that have to do with killing them? Why are you implying that your children have to be your caregivers?

#50 Posted by Omni-Wrath (1970 posts) -

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

DecadesOfGaming

Then commit suicide. Don't force it upon other old people.