Should Mark Whalberg's Films be Boycotted?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Despite how well known Mark Whalberg is, the criminal antics of his troubled teenage years don't seem to be known at all. When he was fifteen, he threw rocks at Black children while calling them the N-Word - on two separate occasions! When he was sixteen, he attacked a middle-aged Vietnamese man with a wooden stick, knocking him unconscious - all the while yelling out racial epithets. However, these aren't the worst of his crimes; the same day he attacked the Vietnamese man, he attacked another Vietnamese man and beat him so badly that the man permanently lost sight in one of his eyes! He was sentenced to two years, but served only forty five days.

So, I beg the question: Should Whalberg's films be boycotted?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

One thing I have heard is that since he's a convicted felon, he shouldn't be allowed to handle firearms in his movies (or in the training for his movies)

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

yes.. we should all judge people by the stupid shit they do as teenagers, when they're at their most brilliant.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58902 Posts

At least he's not Jimmy Jimmy Savile.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I need proof.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BluRayHiDef

@comp_atkins said:

yes.. we should all judge people by the stupid shit they do as teenagers, when they're at their most brilliant.

FYI, I'm merely posing the question. I'm still going to see Age of Extinction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Naw. If you do you might as well boycott everyone in Hollywood's films.

He hasn't been in a good film in forever so

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib

@BranKetra said:

I need proof.

proof of what?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By branketra

@lostrib said:

@BranKetra said:

I need proof.

proof of what?

When he was fifteen, he threw rocks at Black children while calling them the N-Word - on two separate occasions! When he was sixteen, he attacked a middle-aged Vietnamese man with a wooden stick, knocking him unconscious - all the while yelling out racial epithets. However, these aren't the worst of his crimes; the same day he attacked the Vietnamese man, he attacked another Vietnamese man and beat him so badly that the man permanently lost sight in one of his eyes! He was sentenced to two years, but served only forty five days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Yes, not because he's a horrible person but because he's a horrible actor.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

This is news to me, is this all confirmed??

Not gonna lie though, that video was pretty harsh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@behardy24 said:

Yes it's all true. He's admitted it in interviews and given halfhearted apologises.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@BranKetra said:

@lostrib said:

@BranKetra said:

I need proof.

proof of what?

When he was fifteen, he threw rocks at Black children while calling them the N-Word - on two separate occasions! When he was sixteen, he attacked a middle-aged Vietnamese man with a wooden stick, knocking him unconscious - all the while yelling out racial epithets. However, these aren't the worst of his crimes; the same day he attacked the Vietnamese man, he attacked another Vietnamese man and beat him so badly that the man permanently lost sight in one of his eyes! He was sentenced to two years, but served only forty five days.

It's not exactly hidden, it's even on his wikipedia page since he did get convicted after all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wahlberg

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/back-day-marky-marks-rap-sheet-0

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib

@toast_burner said:

@behardy24 said:

Yes it's all true. He's admitted it in interviews and given halfhearted apologises.

I'm not sure he's even given a real apology, and definitely not made any amends with the guy he blinded

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58902 Posts

Cancelling Transformers 4 should make up for it.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

he shouldn't be judged for things he did as a teen. he's a changed man now, goes to church every day and gives money to charity.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Cancelling Transformers 4 should make up for it.

I like your way of thinking. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@lostrib said:

@toast_burner said:

@behardy24 said:

I'm not sure he's even given a real apology, and definitely not made any amends with the guy he blinded

That's what I meant by half hearted. I think he said something generic like "I've done some things I regret"

EDIT: Here it is "I did a lot of things that I regret, and I have certainly paid for my mistakes." "You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning."

So apparently he paid for his mistakes by spending only 45 days in prison and then becoming a well paid actor. And he thinks that asking for forgiveness is important yet has yet to ask for it from the people he actually attacked.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

This is pretty common knowledge stuff. Even I knew this and I don't care about Mark Wahlberg at all. It has been covered several times in magazines and he has openly discussed it in interviews. Having said that, he does seem to get let off the hook a lot pretty easily on account of being a "dumb teen" at the time. But I guess I just feel that way because when I was that age, I personally had no such behavioural problems or violent inclinations. I wasn't raised in the same kind of environment that he was though, so I guess I can't really judge.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

People keep mentioning the fact that he was a teen, I don't know about you but I wasn't leaving people blind on one eye when I was 15. That ain't small potatoes in my book.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Should all people be forever judged by their past or can their later actions become what define them?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@ferrari2001 said:

Should all people be forever judged by their past or can their later actions become what define them?

Yes people can redeem themselves. But do you think simply saying "I was a dumb kid back then" is enough to be redeemed for attempted murder?

WiiPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WiiPants
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

That's messed up. I always thought he looked a bit feral and crazy eyed.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Have you been perfect BRHD? I've read your threads dude.....

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@LJS9502_basic said:

I merely asked the question; I've expressed no judgments. Also, I've never harmed Human beings (without justification).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I merely asked the question; I've expressed no judgments. Also, I've never harmed Human beings (without justification).

however you have tortured animals...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib

@toast_burner said:

@lostrib said:

@toast_burner said:

@behardy24 said:

That's what I meant by half hearted. I think he said something generic like "I've done some things I regret"

EDIT: Here it is "I did a lot of things that I regret, and I have certainly paid for my mistakes." "You have to go and ask for forgiveness and it wasn't until I really started doing good and doing right by other people, as well as myself, that I really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning."

So apparently he paid for his mistakes by spending only 45 days in prison and then becoming a well paid actor. And he thinks that asking for forgiveness is important yet has yet to ask for it from the people he actually attacked.

Yeah, and while he says you have to go and ask for forgiveness, as far as I know he has never done so from the man he blinded

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

When I was 15 and 16 I played World of Warcraft and made silly posts on Gamespot.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By branketra

@lostrib said:

@BranKetra said:

@lostrib said:

@BranKetra said:

I need proof.

proof of what?

It's not exactly hidden, it's even on his wikipedia page since he did get convicted after all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wahlberg

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/back-day-marky-marks-rap-sheet-0

All I was asking for is a source since I had not known about these things. You did, so I will say thank you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lostrib

@thegerg said:

@lostrib said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

however you have tortured animals...

And he's expressed his agreement with Elliot Rodger.

shall we wait for when he tells us that was just a joke?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Um, as far as I know he served the time given to him. And considering he did most of this stuff in his early teens, I think it is quite foolish to condemn him for anything...but that is just the opinion of an adult, which you apparently have not quite become Blu.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Mark Wahlberg 4 eva

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BluRayHiDef

I think my time on these boards is done. Things have gotten to a point where I can't post anything without being subjected to personal attacks. I merely asked a question and never expressed any judgments, yet several posters have already insulted me. At this point, I'm just genuinely annoyed at the community here, which was the only thing keeping me here despite the changes made to the site.

I know that some of you will rationalize your unwarranted onslaught by citing supposedly "stupid shit" I've posted in the past as examples, but just keep in mind that though some of what I've posted in the past may have been in disagreement with how you felt/ feel, I've never personally attacked anyone and certainly not as harshly as some of you have done to me.

Anyhow, after scrambling my password, I will be changing the email address associated with this account to a new one with a password I won't bother remembering.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lostrib

@BluRayHiDef said:

I think my time on these boards is done. Things have gotten to a point where I can't post anything without being subjected to personal attacks. I merely asked a question and never expressed any judgments, yet several posters have already insulted me. At this point, I'm just genuinely annoyed at the community here, which was the only thing keeping me here despite the changes made to the site.

I know that some of you will rationalize your unwarranted onslaught by citing supposedly "stupid shit" I've posted in the past as examples, but just keep in mind that though some of what I've posted in the past may have been in disagreement with how you felt/ feel, I've never personally attacked anyone and certainly not as harshly as some of you have done to me.

Anyhow, after scrambling my password, I will be changing the email address associated with this account to a new one with a password I won't bother remembering.

You brought most of this on yourself. so too bad, so sad

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

@BluRayHiDef:

That seems a bit drastic. They did kind of gang up on you but leaving because of it is weak. So you have enemies? Good. That means you once stood for something, sometime in your life or to make that quote more applicable to forums. You once said what you actually believed rather than what you thought others wanted to hear. In either case you need to deal with the consequences and stand strong though.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Despite how well known Mark Whalberg is, the criminal antics of his troubled teenage years don't seem to be known at all. When he was fifteen, he threw rocks at Black children while calling them the N-Word - on two separate occasions! When he was sixteen, he attacked a middle-aged Vietnamese man with a wooden stick, knocking him unconscious - all the while yelling out racial epithets. However, these aren't the worst of his crimes; the same day he attacked the Vietnamese man, he attacked another Vietnamese man and beat him so badly that the man permanently lost sight in one of his eyes! He was sentenced to two years, but served only forty five days.

So, I beg the question: Should Whalberg's films be boycotted?

You should be boycotted for making posts

It's not because you're a loser and the other guy is too, you gotta go pic on winners

Threw rocks at black children and calling him the n-word?

So what, he was fifteen. Go make some posts ask about somone elses sex life, or go see voyeur cams, or better yet go see on people's facebook pages how many friends they've got and drule at the pictures

This.

Grow up BRHD

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

If we boycotted people based on who they were as teenagers, we would have to boycott everyone.

@BluRayHiDef said:

just keep in mind that though some of what I've posted in the past may have been in disagreement with how you felt/ feel, I've never personally attacked anyone and certainly not as harshly as some of you have done to me.

You attack anyone who offers the slightest bit of criticism towards you and your ideas, even when you explicitly ask for it.

Though I will grant you that some people are unnecessarily rude to you.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Don't ragequit or escape. Try to make better and meaningful threads so no one will try to personally attack you anymore. You are a good guy , and no one hates you here ( i personally like you very much ) but your threads are kinda stupid ( This thread for instance , why'd we care what mark wahlberg did at age 15 ??? , if he used N word or beat up a a man for being racist currently at his present age we'd understand ).

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@thegerg: "Well once those future actions actually take place they will become part of the past. Unless you figure out how to see into the future we will continue to have to judge people by their past"

"Anyway, if you need to change your password and email in order to deceive yourself you may have some serious issues"

You're a killer gerg you show no mercy lol

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

The way I see it, the question is, "what's in it for me?"

If I boycott his movies, what's in it for me? Well, that'd surely mean avoiding the bad ones (which I could do even if I didn't boycott him), and I suppose I could pat myself on the back for not really doing anything.

If I don't boycott his movies, what's in it for me? Well, assuming that he's in a good movie, I get to watch it.

As someone who likes movies, I feel I'm personally getting the better deal if I don't boycott his movies.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

No. It doesn't really matter to me.

Orson Scott Card is homophobic. That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not Ender's Game is a good piece of science fiction.

Jean-Baptiste Luly raped little boys. I still sing "Bois Epais" as part of my repertoire.

Roman Polanski raped a girl. "Chinatown" is still one of my favorite movies.

It doesn't matter. I don't care what shit he did as a teenager. My sole criteria on whether or not I see one of his movies is if it's a good movie or not.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Movies should be boycotted for being bad movies and not boycotted for what one actor did in his teenage years, so should all the actors in Marks' films be punished for what Mark did as a teenager?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@ariabed said:

Movies should be boycotted for being bad movies and not boycotted for what one actor did in his teenage years, so should all the actors in Marks' films be punished for what Mark did as a teenager?

That's life, dude. It's impossible to be "fair" to everyone. If I find out that my favorite restaurants is hiring convicted child molesters, I'm never taking my family there again. Is that "fair" for the rest of the staff? No, but tough shit.