Should males care about grooming and fashion?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by indzman (27383 posts) -

While girls really care about grooming and fashion, should guys also care about grooming and fashion? personally i do like fashion (wearing stylish stuff at times), grooming no (only Haircut).Some of my freinds hardly care abourt either, they are comfortable wearing anything and being natural as they are.

What you say OT?

#2 Posted by Mega-Mustaine (2130 posts) -

It's definitely nice for them to do so. It's just plain decency to care a bit about both. And more attractive as well.

Unless you over do it. Then people will probably assume you're gay.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
#3 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (3915 posts) -
I'd say yes,a man knows what's best for his own appearances,but too much with it would make me think it's either a man in a dress or it's just my imagination
#4 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

They should.  I don't think most men realize just how important it is and how it can effect everything from one's career to their sex life.

#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
does it matter male or female? care about what you want
#6 Posted by Planeforger (17316 posts) -
They should if they ever plan on attracting members of the opposite sex (and perhaps even moreso for members of the same sex?)/
#7 Posted by Star67 (4195 posts) -

When you say groom do you mean clean? I would say yes. Who would want to have relations with some smelly, unshaven, poorly dressed man?

#8 Posted by Wolf-Man2006 (4187 posts) -

Its really up to them if they should care about grooming and fashion

#9 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
I thought we did.
#10 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58756 posts) -
I prefer my nasal hair to protrude as far as possible.
#11 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -
I think it's totally fine. I myself care about grooming quite a bit, so I try to take good care of my hair.
#12 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

If grooming means shaving, getting hair cuts, brushing your hair, etc.....yea.

Fashion...no.

#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161968 posts) -
I don't see why you separate genders....both should take care.
Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
#14 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (3915 posts) -
I prefer my nasal hair to protrude as far as possible.SolidSnake35
I feel grossed out if it happen,no one likes you for that
#15 Posted by comp_atkins (34308 posts) -
insofar as to meet basic hygiene standards for a particular society, yes.. any further is purely up to the individual.
#16 Posted by Celldrax (15035 posts) -

To me, fashion is a metal tee and pants.

I do at least look after myself, like having my showers, maintaining the short beard length, deodorant, etc. All guys should at least care about that sort of stuff.

#17 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22285 posts) -

The wife doesn't like me having a beard or moustache because they feel prickly when we smooch. I also have a dress and appearance code at work. I have to look presentable at work even though I work a lot of midshifts and people only see me on shift change (I'm the one going home). 

Fashionwise? Nope. Don't care. T-shirt, jeans and sneakers are fine with me. That or gym clothes.

#18 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

Depends on the person. I've always gone with a grungy, rough around the edges look and it has worked for me.

#19 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35516 posts) -

I think most men care about grooming and fashion themslevs to some degree. I do a a little bit.

#20 Posted by Diablo-B (4063 posts) -
Let me warn you youngin's. Whether you like it or not, whether you think it is fair or not, people will judge you by your appearance, your deportment, how you present yourself. If you dress like a hoodlum, people will treat you as a thug. If you dress sloppy, people wont take you serious. If you want people to treat you like a professional, like you know what you are talking about and like you belong in the business world then you have to dress the part, groom the part, talk the part, and walk the part.
#21 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

Let me warn you youngin's. Whether you like it or not, whether you think it is fair or not, people will judge you by your appearance, your deportment, how you present yourself. If you dress like a hoodlum, people will treat you as a thug. If you dress sloppy, people wont take you serious. If you want people to treat you like a professional, like you know what you are talking about and like you belong in the business world then you have to dress the part, groom the part, talk the part, and walk the part.Diablo-B

This is unfortunately true, however, some people have enough sense to not judge a person before they get to know them.

#22 Posted by Scissorman88 (154 posts) -

AS A FINE SCHOLARY GENTLEMAN WHO LIVES IN VIVA LAS VEGAS I THINK CARING ABOUT BOTH ARE IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT TO SUCCEED IN MAKING HOT PASSIONATE LOVE WITH FINE WOMEN, AND, OR SCORING A NICE JOB.

#23 Posted by o0squishy0o (2792 posts) -

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Let me warn you youngin's. Whether you like it or not, whether you think it is fair or not, people will judge you by your appearance, your deportment, how you present yourself. If you dress like a hoodlum, people will treat you as a thug. If you dress sloppy, people wont take you serious. If you want people to treat you like a professional, like you know what you are talking about and like you belong in the business world then you have to dress the part, groom the part, talk the part, and walk the part.Blueresident87

This is unfortunately true, however, some people have enough sense to not judge a person before they get to know them.

Unfortunately true? Not sure how that is unfortunate. It shouldn't be a supprise people will judge you on how you present yourself. I am not talking about physical looks (to a certain degree) but if you dress scruffy how can you expect anyone to look past how you dress. For sure there are some extreme cases where you can argue against people judging you but its a situation for an interview or anything even; a guy is dressed in a smart suit, looks well groomed and presents himself well, the other gentleman is a guy in a slipknot t-shirt, baggy jeans with rips in them and a pair of DC shoes.The guy has long messy hair and a bit of a beard. You would instantly think one was a professional and the other not. You can't try and force people to not judge because its estiantial that we judge people by their apperance. If not, we could all be dressed in our laziest dirtest clothes and that would have to be acceptable and to me its not. Its not about how you as such but more the envolvement and means behind your look. People shouldnt be so ignorant and up themselves to think that they should expect others not to judge them. Its apart of human nature and a survial instinct at its very core. Should cavewoman trust groomed caveman with her life and children or the dirty caveman who doesnt know how to wipe his own butt.
#24 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Definitely.
#25 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29945 posts) -

Obviously. If you look like a bum expect to be treated like one.

#26 Posted by Chutebox (43134 posts) -

No

#27 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29945 posts) -

No

Chutebox

Why not?

#28 Posted by supa_badman (16714 posts) -

Yes

#29 Posted by Scissorman88 (154 posts) -

Why would anyone say no? Grooming is important for our health, and fashion is up to you..

#30 Posted by rocinante_ (1772 posts) -

sure, why not. everyone likes to look and feel good--so long as they don't get obsessed with their image.

#31 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

Unless you over do it. Then people will probably assume you're gay.

Mega-Mustaine

Is that bad???????????????????????????????????????

#32 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

i got my eyebrows threaded last night so yes...

#33 Posted by Scissorman88 (154 posts) -

Im off to get my high and tight. 

#34 Posted by cheese_game619 (13317 posts) -
take care of yourself you fvcking slob
#35 Posted by Diablo-B (4063 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]Let me warn you youngin's. Whether you like it or not, whether you think it is fair or not, people will judge you by your appearance, your deportment, how you present yourself. If you dress like a hoodlum, people will treat you as a thug. If you dress sloppy, people wont take you serious. If you want people to treat you like a professional, like you know what you are talking about and like you belong in the business world then you have to dress the part, groom the part, talk the part, and walk the part.o0squishy0o

Unfortunately true? Not sure how that is unfortunate. It shouldn't be a supprise people will judge you on how you present yourself. I am not talking about physical looks (to a certain degree) but if you dress scruffy how can you expect anyone to look past how you dress. For sure there are some extreme cases where you can argue against people judging you but its a situation for an interview or anything even; a guy is dressed in a smart suit, looks well groomed and presents himself well, the other gentleman is a guy in a slipknot t-shirt, baggy jeans with rips in them and a pair of DC shoes.The guy has long messy hair and a bit of a beard. You would instantly think one was a professional and the other not. You can't try and force people to not judge because its estiantial that we judge people by their apperance. If not, we could all be dressed in our laziest dirtest clothes and that would have to be acceptable and to me its not. Its not about how you as such but more the envolvement and means behind your look. People shouldnt be so ignorant and up themselves to think that they should expect others not to judge them. Its apart of human nature and a survial instinct at its very core. Should cavewoman trust groomed caveman with her life and children or the dirty caveman who doesnt know how to wipe his own butt.

I couldn't have said it better myself. And its not just how you dress but how you talk and carry yourself.
#36 Posted by Jebus213 (10011 posts) -

While girls really care about grooming and fashion, should guys also care about grooming and fashion? personally i do like fashion (wearing stylish stuff at times), grooming no (only Haircut).Some of my freinds hardly care abourt either, they are comfortable wearing anything and being natural as they are.

What you say OT?

indzman
I want you to go one week without making a thread. You think you can do that?
#37 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

SaudiFury

What is the point of that?

#38 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

Pffrbt

how many straight guys you know, even think about doing that?

and it counts as grooming and looking nice so yea.

#39 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Grooming, yeah. Fashion, eh.

#40 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -
Just because I spend 3 hours a day picking out what I want to wear to work doesn't make me any different then most men.
#41 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

SaudiFury

I don't know anyone who would do it period. What does it even do?

#42 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

Pffrbt

makes your eyebrows sharper looking and cleaner looking as well. only reason i've kept it up is because the ladies apparently like it, and i've gotten positive comments about it.
#43 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

No

Chutebox
It's much better for them to look like slobs with no sense of style. Yup.
#44 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
I think anyone who says no is either kidding themselves, or a hermit with an internet connection.
#45 Posted by Shmiity (6089 posts) -

In my opinion, f*ck yeah you should. Have a cool haircut, confident style clothing you like, and groom/shave your facial hair.

Nothing bothers me more than dudes who just dont care. It just looks like a bad personality trait. Having a unique/confident/good look only helps make you look like you are your own person. 

"Shoes make the man" is the biggest issue I see. Your new balance/nike sneakers just do not match. Buy some proper style sneakers/shoes. Chucks, vans, loafers, anything, I dont care. 

#46 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29945 posts) -

I think anyone who says no is either kidding themselves, or a hermit with an internet connection.Sajo7
Well, this IS a video game forum. :P

#47 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] how many straight guys you know, even think about doing that?

SaudiFury

makes your eyebrows sharper looking and cleaner looking as well.
Can't you just smooth them out with your fingers?

only reason i've kept it up is because the ladies apparently like it, and i've gotten positive comments about it.

It seems so remarkably petty and insignificant.

#48 Posted by gameofthering (11100 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] how many straight guys you know, even think about doing that?

SaudiFury

makes your eyebrows sharper looking and cleaner looking as well. only reason i've kept it up is because the ladies apparently like it, and i've gotten positive comments about it.

Probably something I'd need to get done :P

#49 Posted by Scissorman88 (154 posts) -

I just got my nice high and tight haircut, and even my eyebrows waxed. The girl who did my hair was this really cute asian girl my age, she's like ever have your eyebrows done? Im like what? never, Ill try today tho, so they look nicer I guess? Not as bushy

my friend has real long hair, long goatee, looks disgusting. 

#50 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -

They should.  I don't think most men realize just how important it is and how it can effect everything from one's career to their sex life.

junglist101
Yeah people started to take me more seriously once I started taking care of myself in terms of looking good.