Should I upgrade my DVD collection to Blu-ray?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

I have approx. 130 or so DVD's not including all my Simpsons, Family Guy, and Fresh Prince and I just got a PS3 last fall. I love blu-ray and would love to have all my movies in blu-ray but obviously it would be very expensive. Blu-rays for the most part are $15-$20 minimum.Anybody here with big collections have any good advice for me?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I'd upgrade your favorites and then just stick to BR from now on.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I have approx. 130 or so DVD's not including all my Simpsons, Family Guy, and Fresh Prince and I just got a PS3 last fall. I love blu-ray and would love to have all my movies in blu-ray but obviously it would be very expensive. Blu-rays for the most part are $15-$20 minimum.Anybody here with big collections have any good advice for me?

Josh5890
how about you just buy Blu-ray from now on and keep a dvd player around
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Josh5890"]

Serraph105

He doesn't even have to do that. His PS3 will upconvert his old DVDs.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="Josh5890"]

Pirate700

He doesn't even have to do that. His PS3 will upconvert his old DVDs.

oh thats cool.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless you find the Blu-rays extremely cheap. I've got about 350-400 DVDs and TV sets and haven't done much in the way of upgrading. Image quality isn't massive in most cases, as some Blu-rays have lazy transfers (Gladiator comes to mind recently) or simply don't have the source material to benefit a ton from the increased resolution. TV shows seem to be particularly bad for that. I've just been buying new movies as Blu-rays.
Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Josh5890

Quick side note, anybody have any thoughts on the Godfather Trilogy on blu-ray? I've heard mixed reviews online about it. I just hate the audio I get from my DVDs, too staticy plus some of the video is grainy. Godfather is a top5 favorite franchise for me. I just wanna hear from people who have viewed both formats.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

i wouldnt upgrade them all in one go, blu ray is only going to get cheaper. so unless you really want to see one of your collection in really high def (in which case you can just buy the blu ray), leave it for the moment. or upgrade one at a time

swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

Just upgrade your favorites and start buying new movies on Blu-ray.

As time passes, and Blu-ray costs come down, start upgrading more of your DVD collection.

I've started seeing more and more Blu-rays at low costs like $10.

nick339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nick339
Member since 2005 • 1256 Posts

I wouldn't bother. Blu ray players generally upconvert DVDs really well. It's definitely not worth the cost of buying new blu rays.

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
just get new movies comin out on BR...like Avatar on the 22nd:)
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Josh5890

Yeah. My advice is to stick with your old DVD's.

Mark my words...I ****ing GUARANTEE you that if enough people are going to update their DVD collections to Blu-Ray, that we're going to see unneeded format shifts regularly just to get consumers to buy the same thing over and over again. If you don't mind buying the same **** over and over again, then by all means, upgrade to Blu-Ray.

Otherwise, keep your old DVD collection, and only upgrade the movies that either were badly transferred to DVD, or that would benefit the MOST from a Blu-Ray upgrade.

Think of it this way...you probably have a limited budget, or limited time. Otherwise, you'd probably have more than 130 DVDs by now. With the limited money and time that you're willing to spend on movies, assess what you're getting. Suppose that from now on, you NEVER buy another DVD ever again, just Blu-Rays. Still...your Blu-Ray collection is going to be hindered by money and time, just as your DVD collection was. Is it better to spend your limited Blu-Ray budget on movies that you already saw? Or would you be better off simply sticking to the DVDs that you already own, while using your Blu-Ray budget on movies that you have yet to see?

With a few rare exceptions, I guarantee that I plan on sticking with my DVDs for as long as is humanly possible. Going Blu-Ray for future releases? Fine. But I've got limited money and time, I'm not willing to spend this kind of money upgrading my entire ****ing collection every decade or so.

VENOM192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VENOM192
Member since 2009 • 1385 Posts

Pirate700

This. Just upgrade to those you like and then just buy Blu-ray from now on.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
Switching to Blu is a good choice but I would not make it the priority of getting all the DVDs on the blu format, The good thing with me is that most of the films in my DVD collection are only available on DVD. So yeah just switch by getting new stuff on the format and slowly change you collection..
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Rather than repeat what everyone else said I'll add to it. Keep your eye on places like zavvi, CDWow, DVD.co.uk and even places like SAnity (believe it or not) as they occasionally have sales that make it very viable to update your collections. For example I got seasons 4,5 and 20 of the Simpsons for $25 each at the start of the week from SAnity (AU currency). They retail for around $80 normally!

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Josh5890

Thanks for your advice everyone. As far as Avatar is concerned, I'm going to hold off. I'm not crazy about the 3 versionsthat are coming out so I'm gonna wait for the one in November with the special features probably. They say that the first version will be "flawless" and take up the whole disc space and have nothing but the movie itself on it. That A-scares me into thinking that the later version will be degraded from the April version and B-are they just trying to scare me into buying two copies? Normally I'm not into special features. Heck I barely have time to watch these movies as it is. But considering the circumstances behind this film, I am a little curious as to how some things were done. Also the 20-40 minutes of extra footage is appealing. I might just give a couple rents and then decide. What are you guys doing with Avatar?

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Honestly for the extra price of BR it isnt worth it, Only time i watch blu-ray is renting them out as they cost the same as a regular DVD and i am yet to see a massive difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
deactivated-5bb421ab1b937

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

While we're on this topic, should I upgrade my Beta collection to VHS?

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1494 Posts

Yes. Upgrading to Blu-Ray gives more advanced DVD watching.

Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts

Josh5890
in my house we have 90 blu rays, id say just buy the ones you really want 1st, and get everyone to chip in some money :')
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Just buy BluRays from now on. Maybe buy the odd favourite on BluRay if you see it at a decent price.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Favorites, who has money for 100 blu-rays........hit the deal thread at avsforum, that would be the only time i would buy some, usually Amazon has really good deals every few weeks.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Josh5890
The Simpsons, Family and Fresh Prince aren't even out on Bluray yet.
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlindBluMonstah

Favorites, who has money for 100 blu-rays........hit the deal thread at avsforum, that would be the only time i would buy some, usually Amazon has really good deals every few weeks.X360PS3AMD05

i just counted our blu ray collection we have 96 :| it seems my brother has enough money ''/ XD

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Favorites, who has money for 100 blu-rays........hit the deal thread at avsforum, that would be the only time i would buy some, usually Amazon has really good deals every few weeks.BlindBluMonstah

i just counted our blu ray collection we have 96 :| it seems my brother has enough money ''/ XD

I have...3. xD
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Not really. Perhaps for s few select titles , but honestly I do not find it worth it.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Pirate700

This is probably best. Would cost too much to get all of them in Blu-Ray.

BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlindBluMonstah

[QUOTE="BlindBluMonstah"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Favorites, who has money for 100 blu-rays........hit the deal thread at avsforum, that would be the only time i would buy some, usually Amazon has really good deals every few weeks.MushroomWig

I have...3. xD

i own about 5 of the 96 >.< XD

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
VHS players stopped getting made just very recently, look how long they've been around. DVD players won't go out for quite some time so I think it's a big waste of money to repurchase all of them now.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MushroomWig

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="BlindBluMonstah"]

BlindBluMonstah

I have...3. xD

You still own more than me!? :( arhh!
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I do want to repurchase The Godfather 1 & 2. I have the dvd that came out in 2001 and I rented the Blu-ray and it was a significant improvement. Mostly because it was a restored version.
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BlindBluMonstah
[QUOTE="BlindBluMonstah"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] I have...3. xDMushroomWig

You still own more than me!? :( arhh!

i dont even have a job XD but i spend spend spend :3
Mr_Versipellis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#33 Mr_Versipellis
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Pirate700
Yeah, agreed.
albatrossdrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 albatrossdrums
Member since 2008 • 1178 Posts
Just replace the films/shows you love the most and for which there is a real point in getting better pic quality. For example I would argue that if you are a big fan of Family Guy, South Park or The Simpsons I don't see a huge amount of incentive to replace those dvds with blu ray - the quality will be better for sure but ask yourself if in those cases whether or not it really matters all that much (I've seem SP in Hd and it looks great, but the show is just as funny without it). Also there are a few blu rays out there that are only a hair better than their dvd counterparts due to the company being cheap and minimizing their transfer or restoration costs, so I'd start reading some mags / websites that review blu ray releases.
Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Josh5890

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll slowly, very slowly, I'm gonna upgrade my collection. For the most part it, I'm just going to wait for really cheap deals, with a few of my favorite films being a priority.

I'm still on the fence on Avatar though. They say that the April version is the "best" quality while the November version will have special features, including deleted scenes. What are you guys getting?