Should i quit my job after the first day?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -
Well i started a job today at burger king, and i worked from like 11am to 7pm and i hated it.
The smell in the place was horrible, i have to dress like a geek, it's boring and repetitive, should i quit though?

I don't really want to go back and i hate working that much because i would rather be online.

What should i do?? Please help
#2 Posted by kayn83 (2214 posts) -
Keep it for a bit, look for something else. Better to be employed for as long as possible. The minute you get the new job, put in your two weeks notice at Burger King.
#3 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

If you think you can find a job you like better, then yes, quit.

Be aware though that if you quit, you may not be able to have much spending money if you can't find a replacement job quickly. Still, no sense working a summer job that you hate.

#4 Posted by McMurmur (1427 posts) -
Ah, the good ol' work and wave. I don't know how many times I've done it, but I know I can't work at any of the telemarketing places in town anymore.
#5 Posted by Hockey_Slayer (3213 posts) -

Give it awhile before you quit man, quiting on the first day just does not give people a good impression. The first day is always the worse man believe me, the first week always sucks, but no matter how bad the job is it will always get just a little bit better.

#6 Posted by wigan_gamer (3293 posts) -
Give it time to settle in..... get to know some people and it makes work less miserable :D
#7 Posted by im_really_rich (1371 posts) -
No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.
#8 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -

No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.im_really_rich

I know but i'm also really tired and geez 11am to 7pm is too long, i don't know if i can go back :(
It's too hard to stand on my feet all day

Avatar image for sinistergoggles
#9 Posted by sinistergoggles (9919 posts) -
I don't recommend doing that; might be bad for your resume and future jobs. The proper way to quit is to give notice in advanced.
#10 Posted by DDX2 (6317 posts) -

stick with it for a week or two before you quit. After i got to know the people i worked with, they turned out to be a pretty fun bunch. once you get into the flow of things, youll be alright.

I used to work at BK too :)

#11 Posted by wdave92 (4956 posts) -
keep it for 3-6 months it dosent look good on your resume if you quit after the 1st day or so it makes you look undicided and jumpy
#12 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -

stick with it for a week or two before you quit. After i got to know the people i worked with, they turned out to be a pretty fun bunch. once you get into the flow of things, youll be alright.

DDX2

Didn't the smell make you sick though?
It's such a bad smell, and i have to smell it like every second in there.
I am not a very socialable person though, so i don't enjoy to be around people.
In fact, i hate to be around people. Being around people for that many hours a day, i don't think i can stand it.

#13 Posted by Dark__Link (32653 posts) -

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.joshrocks2245

I know but i'm also really tired and geez 11am to 7pm is too long, i don't know if i can go back :(

Too long? That's a normal length shift. :|

#14 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.Dark__Link

I know but i'm used to sitting around all day and barely never standing.
Theres only like a 30 minute break, geez it's a bad job.

#15 Posted by greenprince (3332 posts) -
Well i started a job today at burger king, and i worked from like 11am to 7pm and i hated it.
The smell in the place was horrible, i have to dress like a geek, it's boring and repetitive, should i quit though?

I don't really want to go back and i hate working that much because i would rather be online.

joshrocks2245
11am-7pm? Damn, is this your first job?
#16 Posted by omfg_its_dally (8068 posts) -
Don't feel bad if you do. My brother only lasted at McDonads for 3 days.
#17 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -

[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]Well i started a job today at burger king, and i worked from like 11am to 7pm and i hated it.

greenprince

Nope.
I used to work at a pharmacy warehouse back in 2005, i worked there for 8 months.
Then i worked at a telemarketing place but i only worked there for 5 days because i couldn't make any sales, so they fired me.
At least with those 2 jobs i didn't have to stand around and smell that horrible food all day.

#18 Posted by Shrapnel99 (7143 posts) -

[QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]Well i started a job today at burger king, and i worked from like 11am to 7pm and i hated it.

joshrocks2245

Nope.
I used to work at a pharmacy warehouse back in 2005, i worked there for 8 months.
Then i worked at a telemarketing place but i only worked there for 5 days because i couldn't make any sales, so they fired me.
At least with those 2 jobs i didn't have to stand around and smell that horrible food all day.

You'll get used to the smell, trust me.

#19 Posted by greenprince (3332 posts) -

[QUOTE="greenprince"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]Well i started a job today at burger king, and i worked from like 11am to 7pm and i hated it.

joshrocks2245

Nope.

Dude that sucks, I remember when I had my first job it was MacDonald's and I had a similar experience of smelly foods. Good luck, you'll find another job or atleast somewhere more decent like Tim Hortons or Starbucks.
#20 Posted by -AK47- (3277 posts) -
lol at the big mac i your avatar. Go work at mcdonalds then........
#21 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

greenprince

Nope.

Dude that sucks, I remember when I had my first job it was MacDonald's and I had a similar experience of smelly foods. Good luck, you'll find another job or atleast somewhere more decent like Tim Hortons or Starbucks.

I don't think i want to work in food anymore.
I hate people bossing me around and telling me what to do, some people can take it but i can't.
Maybe i should start up my own business hey? lol

#22 Posted by GodLovesDead (9755 posts) -

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.joshrocks2245

Be thankful you're not pushing carts all of those 8 hours. Standing is one thing, but pushing 10+ carts is another.

#23 Posted by scorch-62 (29763 posts) -
If you think this after the first day, why did you get a job there?
#24 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -

I say you should stay there for a couple of more weeks so it doesn't make yourself look bad, but in that time you should look for a better job?

Why did you take that job in the first place?

#25 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -

I say you should stay there for a couple of more weeks so it doesn't make yourself look bad, but in that time you should look for a better job?

judog1

Well my sister used to work there for 8 years so the boss from burger king emailed her and said he needs workers.
So she told him i could work there, so i got a job there right away.
I knew it would be bad though because my sister used to complain every single day after work, when she worked there.

Avatar image for torontomapleafs
#26 Posted by torontomapleafs (2019 posts) -
I would give it more of a try. When i first got my job at McDonalds i felt the same with my feet always hurting and the smell was horrible. But you do adjust to it after awhile and it becomes bareable. I still hate my job but it gets better after the first couple of months. But if your an adult i would think you should get a better job but if your just in your teens i would stick with it for atleast a couple of months.
#27 Posted by chester706 (3856 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

This pretty much tells me that you are lazy.
#28 Posted by dragonball3900 (8511 posts) -
Become an ice cream man, youll make more money and you can sit around all day.
#29 Posted by edgewalker16 (2286 posts) -
It gets alot better when there aren't many customers and the manager isn't around. Then you can take food. Also, keep the BK job while you're looking for another one, that way you'll get some money in the process. Don't forget, if anyone asks, you work at the BK Lounge.
#30 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.chester706

This pretty much tells me that you are lazy.

I am lazy lol
Standing for so many hours making food though is insane, then i have to do what other people say.
What a waste of time, they have stupid rules as well.
Maybe tommorow i will go in and just not obey the rules lol I'll have a fun last day hahaha

#31 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -
[QUOTE="judog1"]

joshrocks2245

Well my sister used to work there for 8 years so the boss from burger king emailed her and said he needs workers.
I knew it would be bad though because my sister used to complain every single day after work, when she worked there.

In your position I wouldn't quite on the first day especially since your sister has worked there for 8 years, that would be a disappointment.

That's funny, your avatar is of a big mac.

#32 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15044 posts) -
So lets all get this straight:

You don't like standing

You don't want to work too hard

You don't like having a boss.

You want more then a 30 minute break.

You give up easley.

Ok well looks like you are totally screwed because no job meets your requirements.

#33 Posted by DDX2 (6317 posts) -
[QUOTE="DDX2"]

joshrocks2245

In fact, i hate to be around people. Being around people for that many hours a day, i don't think i can stand it.

in all honesty, I love fast food so the smell didnt bother me too much. Im a pretty shy person also. Really, the only advice i can give you is to tough it out a little longer to really determine if you dont like it; If you decide you dont like it, just quit.

#34 Posted by mrgab (23329 posts) -
Quit it, its just a beginner type job, and you dont like it all, quit. I did that once, after 2 days I quit. Hired as a busboy which would had been fine, but 90% of the time was the dishwasher which truly stinks.
#36 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -
Quit it, its just a beginner type job, and you dont like it all, quit. I did that once, after 2 days I quit. Hired as a busboy which would had been fine, but 90% of the time was the dishwasher which truly stinks.mrgab
What kind of job were you working if you could be a busboy but all you did was wash dishes?
#37 Posted by -OpaK- (2728 posts) -
Your icon is of a big mac. You're destined to work at McDonalds
#38 Posted by mrgab (23329 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrgab"]Quit it, its just a beginner type job, and you dont like it all, quit. I did that once, after 2 days I quit. Hired as a busboy which would had been fine, but 90% of the time was the dishwasher which truly stinks.judog1
What kind of job were you working if you could be a busboy but all you did was wash dishes?

Was at this restaurated called Cracker Barrel.

#39 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -

[QUOTE="judog1"][QUOTE="mrgab"]Quit it, its just a beginner type job, and you dont like it all, quit. I did that once, after 2 days I quit. Hired as a busboy which would had been fine, but 90% of the time was the dishwasher which truly stinks.mrgab

hmm...was it located at a bus staion?

It seems the the quick quote feature keeps on making my posts blank.

#40 Posted by omfg_its_dally (8068 posts) -
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]No. You have to stick it out and get used to it because you'll have to do it for the rest of your life, and believe me, everybody else would rather be having fun than working, so the fact that you would rather be doing something else is not unique.GodLovesDead

Be thankful you're not pushing carts all of those 8 hours. Standing is one thing, but pushing 10+ carts is another.

And that was my brother's other job which he understandably quit in 3 days.

#41 Posted by mrgab (23329 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrgab"]

[QUOTE="judog1"][QUOTE="mrgab"]Quit it, its just a beginner type job, and you dont like it all, quit. I did that once, after 2 days I quit. Hired as a busboy which would had been fine, but 90% of the time was the dishwasher which truly stinks.judog1

hmm...was it located at a bus staion?

It seems the the quick quote feature keeps on making my posts blank.

Nope, a good sized nice restaurant just off the interstate.

Yeah that blank message error seems to be never fixed, been going for over a year.

#42 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"][QUOTE="judog1"]

judog1

In your position I wouldn't quite on the first day especially since your sister has worked there for 8 years, that would be a disappointment.

That's funny, your avatar is of a big mac.

Well i really hate the job.
I know, Mcdonalds is way better then burger king.
I never want to work in food though.

#43 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -
Nope, a good sized nice restaurant just off the interstate.

Yeah that blank message error seems to be never fixed, been going for over a year.

mrgab

Oh, then am I missing something? What is a busboy?

Yeah the blank quote bug happens to me to but it's been happening with every message I post right now.

#44 Posted by joshrocks2245 (11248 posts) -
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"][QUOTE="DDX2"]

DDX2

in all honesty, I love fast food so the smell didnt bother me too much. Im a pretty shy person also. Really, the only advice i can give you is to tough it out a little longer to really determine if you dont like it; If you decide you dont like it, just quit.

I'm not that shy i just dislike being around people.
I don't know if i can still work there.
It's just such garbage work, i hate it so much.

#45 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -

Well i really hate the job.
I know, Mcdonalds is way better then burger king.
I never want to work in food though. joshrocks2245
So why don't you try working at gamestop or something like that?

And yeah McDonalds does seem like a better place to work at.

#46 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -

I'm not that shy i just dislike being around people.
I don't know if i can still work there.
It's just such garbage work, i hate it so much. joshrocks2245
Maybe you can try running an online business or something like that, maybe even start your own website and make money by advertisers...

I keep on forgetting not to use quick quote.

#47 Posted by mrgab (23329 posts) -
[QUOTE="mrgab"]Nope, a good sized nice restaurant just off the interstate.

judog1

Yeah the blank quote bug happens to me to but it's been happening with every message I post right now.

The ad stated busboy, they told me was hired as the busboy, but ended up just washing dishes. Basically like the bait and switch.

When I remember, I try to copy my message before pasting in case it gets that annoying error. :)

#48 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -
[QUOTE="judog1"][QUOTE="mrgab"]Nope, a good sized nice restaurant just off the interstate.

mrgab

The ad stated busboy, they told me was hired as the busboy, but ended up just washing dishes. Basically like the bait and switch.

When I remember, I try to copy my message before pasting in case it gets that annoying error. :)

I do that all the time no matter what, ctrl a and then ctrl c has become a habbit...

But what is a busboy?

#49 Posted by mrgab (23329 posts) -

But what is a busboy?

judog1

Busboy is meant to clean the tables, set the tables, in some restaurants bring out the water and/or some foods. Thats what I did in another job at another restaurant.

#50 Posted by judog1 (24653 posts) -
[QUOTE="judog1"]

But what is a busboy?

mrgab

Busboy is meant to clean the tables, set the tables, in some restaurants bring out the water and/or some foods. Thats what I did in another job at another restaurant.

Oh, how could I forgtet about that...

Yeah that seems much better than washing dishes.