Should I get Windows 10 (its currently free), or nah?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

So is windows 10 worth it and any good?

I just Windows 8 and tho it aint great and all them apps menu are worthless, but Im used to it.

Are you on Windows 10?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Yes, Windows 10 is Microsoft's best OS to date. Great features, fantastic apps, and a very responsive and quick interface.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3  Edited By deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Can't go wrong with free. And windows 8 blows.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Feels like 8.1 with a few tweaks. I don't like how the control panel changed in some areas and put into the settings menu.

suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

I have a Lenovo y40 and tried to update to Win10, but seems there's a glitch all of the lenovo y40s. There is a restart loop and says it's an internal power error. Looked it up and apparently it has to do with the AMD drivers. Tried to uninstall them, but don't have enough time between restarts. Even tried it in safe mode. Just be weary about upgrading if you have this laptop as well.

In the end, I just went back to Win8

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@sonicare said:

Is it really free though? i remember this vaguely, but i've read somewhere that it's for free for one year, then you have to pay for upgrades, whatever that means. (i assume they aren't talking about windows 10.1 when they mean upgrades).

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

I say definitely for sure. But I would maybe wait a month or two so they can smooth out some more of the glitches.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Besides a few glitches windows 10 seems to be runnine great on my laptop.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I like it a lot. Haven't had any issues other than learning some new menus in the settings. I say go for it!

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#10 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

There's a few bugs here and there, so you may want to give it a month or 2 if you don't want to put up with them, but it's a free upgrade for a year - no payments or anything after the year, just after the 1st year you won't be able to upgrade for free any more, it's basically a limited time free offer to encourage people to upgrade instead of sticking with older OSs to avoid the cost and inconvenience of an upgrade.

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

I dont see why not.

Kristaok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kristaok
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

Free isn't always better. XP and 7 are the best. 8 is garbage, and 10 is basically 8 with a start menu and extra backdoors for spying.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RTUUMM

@robotopbuddy said:

There's a few bugs here and there, so you may want to give it a month or 2 if you don't want to put up with them, but it's a free upgrade for a year - no payments or anything after the year, just after the 1st year you won't be able to upgrade for free any more, it's basically a limited time free offer to encourage people to upgrade instead of sticking with older OSs to avoid the cost and inconvenience of an upgrade.

when is the free download year over?

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RTUUMM

@magicalclick said:

@RTUUMM:

It is a lot better than Win8. The start menu is back with for easier access to geek tools. The modern apps now run in window mode, which is like 1000000% greater than full screen mode.

Also their apps like Music loads several times faster than before. It is more like Windows Media Play, it loads fast, shows your collection, and does not slap you with their music store bluntly. And Groove Music has OneDrive feature. You can upload your songs on OneDrive, either stream it (plays online) or download it (plays offline) on any device you want. It is an cross platform experience.

It has all the Win8 app, tiles, gestures, but without all the jarring tradeoffs of Win8.

but i dont give a flying **** about apps and shit

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Great operating system besides it's overly invasive habit snooping practices that are all 100% turned on by default. I'd look up where to turn all that shit off, and do so before actually doing any kind of normal computer use. For example your password for your wifi network and all your wifi credentials get thrown up on the cloud, they can read your Microsoft emails to better find out things about you, and they have the right in the terms of service to keep track of what's in your personal files and make a profile on you and everything about you right down to your location at any given time.

So it's better in most regards, but completely shit in regards to privacy concerns.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#18 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@RTUUMM: Around this time next year, it's been officially available since July 29th I believe so it should be around then next year that it ends. You've got plenty of time if you want to hold off for a bit while all the bugs/glitches get ironed out. Just make sure you don't lose track of time and miss it completely as it won't be cheap after the free upgrade offer expires.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I upgraded yesterday and quite like it. I didn't hate the start screen in 8/8.1(you can still use it in 10 if you like btw) but having the little start menu back is a nice welcome. Also no more full screen metro apps is nice as that always bothered me. The only metro app I ever use is the mail app(super handy imo) and maybe once in a blue moon the weather app but still I'm glad they're no longer full screen.

The new image, music and movie apps a lot better than the old media player and photo viewer apps. They load fast and look nicer.

Other than that there isn't much difference between 8/8.1 tbh other than design tweaks. If you're used to 8 you'll get used to 10 pretty quick.

One thing I dislike about 10 though is that they removed the desktop from alt + tab. I don't know why they did that but now I have to get used to using win key + D. >_>

tl;dr I recommend the upgrade.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

You should definitely upgrade to OS X!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

No, don't listen to her, stick to upgrading to Windows 10!!!=p

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts

@hydralisk86 said:
@sonicare said:

Is it really free though? i remember this vaguely, but i've read somewhere that it's for free for one year, then you have to pay for upgrades, whatever that means. (i assume they aren't talking about windows 10.1 when they mean upgrades).

Welcome to Apple's business model! Pay for service packs.

centrifugal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 centrifugal
Member since 2015 • 104 Posts

Yeah. I'm going through the process of getting it right now. Hopefully whatever bugs and issues they have get worked out quickly in a patch.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@magicalclick said:

@hydralisk86:

It is free if you upgrade it within the first year. Once you get it free, it is yours forever.

After the first year, you cannot upgrade it for free. But, if you already upgraded it, you will keep your Win10.

That's correct. Microsoft is moving to a service oriented OS structure, reportedly, kind of like Android. Once on Windows 10, that machine will receive upgrades (in smaller, more recent batches) for the life of the machine.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@magicalclick said:

@hydralisk86:

It is free if you upgrade it within the first year. Once you get it free, it is yours forever.

After the first year, you cannot upgrade it for free. But, if you already upgraded it, you will keep your Win10.

That's correct. Microsoft is moving to a service oriented OS structure, reportedly, kind of like Android. Once on Windows 10, that machine will receive upgrades (in smaller, more recent batches) for the life of the machine.

What are the disadvantages of getting Windows 10 for free and not upgrading? I don't know if i want to pay for upgrades after getting it for free. Will upgrades most likely cost a lot?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@hydralisk86: They aren't doing a pay for update service or Service oriented OS structure. The only reason windows 10 is free is because it's the first windows to data mine the **** out the people who upgrade, and sell that information off to their "Trusted third parties" You will never have to pay for windows 10 after you upgrade. They just want your data, and the shit they want is down right fucking scary.

Hell they have access to your personal files and can do with that as they see fit, including reporting you to law enforcement or other corporations that hold copy rights, that they've partnered with. They are most likely getting tones of incentives for this kind of large scale Data mining of their users, from all sorts of industries, and they will probably make more off of selling that information to their "Trusted third parties" (Who's trust not mine that's for sure) for ad revenue or anything else they see fit, Then they would the initial purchase of the OS. Their terms of service gives them extremely vague and broad ranging allowances with all of your data even down to tracking your communications Microsoft based or not, and yep you guessed it putting it up on the cloud. Also having a large uptake of initial users, is probably a play to help push people into the Microsoft APP ecosystem, which has never been a good place to be looking for anything useful, that you couldn't find elsewhere.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@hydralisk86 said:

What are the disadvantages of getting Windows 10 for free and not upgrading? I don't know if i want to pay for upgrades after getting it for free. Will upgrades most likely cost a lot?

The upgrades afterwards don't cost money (things can change, of course, but that's the current plan and it's what I'll be speaking to throughout this post). They're actually charging business customers money to delay upgrading in the future (because that increases their support costs). They're going to release upgrades over the internet in more incremental approaches which is why this has been called, "The last Windows." Those small updates aren't scheduled to cost money - they want you to take them to get their active SKU numbers down.

In the end, this choice is different from past Windows. You can upgrade for free in the next year. You can upgrade for a fee after that year. You can cling to your current version of Windows for as long as is feasible and then move to another OS after that. Or take the plunge and move to another OS now/soon.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

Windows 10 is their best OS since windows 7, dare I say even better than XP. Even though i didn't have issues with windows 8, windows 10 has made improvements wit the issues windows 8 had. So glad the start button has returned.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

Then you can also pay 3x the price for the same hardware and suffer huge compatibility issues with many games! ;)

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

@hydralisk86 said:
@mattbbpl said:
@magicalclick said:

@hydralisk86:

There are no costs to upgrading, the free year period is to incentivize people to install Windows 10. People with Windows 7 or 8.1 have until July 29 2016 to upgrade for free, after that, there is a cost to the operating system. Whether you get it for free, or buy a copy of Windows 10, you will never be asked to purchase another copy for that PC - also once you get to Windows 10, that is it, no more buying Windows, as 10 is the last version.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@RTUUMM said:

I just Windows 8 and tho it aint great and all them apps menu are worthless, but Im used to it.

Are you on Windows 10?

I just read this article below that Windows 10 can turn on your camera, record you and all your data. I am definitely not getting it.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RTUUMM

@LexLas said:
@RTUUMM said:

Are you on Windows 10?

I just read this article below that Windows 10 can turn on your camera, record you and all your data. I am definitely not getting it.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

i dont have a camera

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@RTUUMM said:
@LexLas said:
@RTUUMM said:

Are you on Windows 10?

i dont have a camera

Then it will digital 3d input one into your screen. Your still screwed, lol .. It records sound too, and all of your inputs. Not good.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RTUUMM

@LexLas said:
@RTUUMM said:
@LexLas said:
@RTUUMM said:

Are you on Windows 10?

i dont have a camera

Then it will digital 3d input one into your screen. Your still screwed, lol .. It records sound too, and all of your inputs. Not good.

meh...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Just make sure you disable all the botnet features.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

If you want to impress girls and make them want to have sex with you, then you must get Windows 10. Microsoft is borrowing from Apple's marketing strategy to sucker people in getting the "latest and greatest".

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I'm still on Windows 7, and not planning on moving over anytime soon, heh.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@LexLas said:
@RTUUMM said:

Are you on Windows 10?

Other apps besides Windows 10 can do that.

Even so, you can turn off Cortana's data collection as one of the first prompts that Windows 10 displays to a new user. That article you linked to even show how you can turn off that collection.

If you are worried about forced data collection with Microsoft Edge and Cortana, it is not as bad as you describe like that.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@BranKetra said:
@LexLas said:
@RTUUMM said:

Are you on Windows 10?

Other apps besides Windows 10 can do that.

Even so, you can turn off Cortana's data collection as one of the first prompts that Windows 10 displays to a new user. That article you linked to even show how you can turn off that collection.

If you are worried about forced data collection with Microsoft Edge and Cortana, it is not as bad as you describe like that.

Umm yes it is. When they literally tell you they are collecting your wifi credentials (including passwords), Communications of all forms and everything about said communications ( As they don't specify Microsoft based communications), what's in your personal files (In which they say they can and will use to protect themselves, their partners and or help law enforcement), what you type, where you are, what you do online, what you use on your computer etc.. etc.. and I could literally probably sit here for an hour and actually write out a list of shit that could span pages if I actually wanted too.

If you think having access to everything in your computer and everything you do with said computer and where you did said things isn't as bad as he describes it then I honestly don't understand what you think is considered to be bad or invasive data snooping.

I also highly doubt opting out will even work for long. Take facebook for example. The moment their terms of service about privacy change, your privacy settings often refer back to default settings. So expect one change in their terms of service to put you right back on that defaulted spy list they had you on without you even knowing it.

Windows 10 wants to know everything about you, the fact people like you don't seem to care is the sole reason why companies are getting away with shit like this. We're losing our privacy, and the Why should I care, and It's not that bad group of people are the sole reason. If I told you 10 or 20 years ago this would be a thing you'd scoff at me and tell me to go put on my tinfoil hat. Well I did and the rest of you didn't bother, now we're all fucked.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@ribstaylor1,

As a matter of fact, I do care. By caring, I recognize that the situation is more complex than "Windows 10 can turn on your camera, record you and all your data" thus it is so bad that we ought not to use it. Users are given the option to turn off these settings from the beginning of use of this operating system. This information is from experience and the article LexLas posted.

Next, you are generalizing applications. In one respect, Windows 10 is different than Facebook because of the kind of applications they are. Windows is a system application and Facebook is a web application. For more clarity, every computer program is coded by a programmer which means that they are not all the same. The notion that because one application does something it is thus that another must or is even likely to act the same is incorrect.

Besides that, it is important to recognize that there are multiple possibilities as to what purpose your data is utilized for once collected. In some cases, it is collected for cybersecurity purposes by the United States government and security agencies. In other cases, your data is mined to personalize advertisements to show you products that are most likely of interest to you based on your browsing history. Other cases are definitely nefarious, but to say that they all are is incorrect. This shared information is a part of the Digital Age that we live in. Similar to the printing revolution of Europe that caused those nations to grow into democracies while the Ottoman Empire's rulers banned the printing press, effectively pausing their development, the Digital Age is bringing new challenges. Let's work with the internet and reap its rewards.