Should Ex-Felons Be Allowed to Vote?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Dems split on restoring felons voting rights

From the story:

Attorney General Eric Holder’s call to restore voting rights to felons after they’ve served their time in prison has split Senate Democrats.

Liberal Democrats who are not facing tough re-elections this year say it’s the right thing to do, but vulnerable incumbents are steering clear of the proposal.

Holder has become increasingly outspoken recently. This week he declared that state attorneys general are not obligated to defend laws that are discriminatory.

Political experts say barring ex-felons from voting impacts African Americans disproportionately.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, if you did the time then you can vote. So restore my brother's voting rights.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Of course the Democrats want them to vote.

Oh God *smh* Political experts saying it affects black people disproportionately can suck a fat one. I prefer to call them professional shit-stirrers.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Yes they should be allowed to vote. I also believe that you shouldn't be banned from owning a gun just because you have a felony. It should depend on the felony. Actually now that I think about mit. That same rule should apply to voting. Depending on your felony as to whether or not you should be allowed to vote.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Master_Live

@Boddicker said:

Oh God *smh* Political experts saying it affects black people disproportionately can suck a fat one. I prefer to call them professional shit-stirrers.

Regardless of how they would vote, shouldn't you be allowed to vote once you "pay your debt" to society?

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

I think after a person has served their sentence they should be allowed to vote.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Boddicker

@Master_Live said:

@Boddicker said:

Regardless of how they would vote, shouldn't you be allowed to vote once you "pay your debt" to society?

I could see their being provisions for people with 1 or maybe 2 felonies, but repeat offenders?

No.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts

yes, they are still citizens and still should have a say.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Felons and ex-felons should be aloud to vote. That being said Eric Holder is a putz and we should also be able to vote for attorney general.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts

@Boddicker said:

the proliferation of political "experts", commentators, bloggers, etc... have been the worst thing to happen to the media over the past 20 years.. they contribute nothing of value to our civilization.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

I think after a person has served their sentence they should be allowed to vote.

Bingo.

I do not understand the infatuation with making life harder for ex-cons. First not being allowed welfare and now not being allowed to vote. Crap like this just encourages recidivism.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Master_Live

@DaBrainz said:

Felons and ex-felons should be aloud to vote. That being said Eric Holder is a putz and we should also be able to vote for attorney general.

People in jail voting? No.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

Bingo.

I do not understand the infatuation with making life harder for ex-cons. First not being allowed welfare and now not being allowed to vote. Crap like this just encourages recidivism.

Because it makes people feel happy and that 'justice' has been done. They don't think of the damaging effect it will have to society.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

If you serve your time I see no reason why not.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44699 Posts

Yes, considering 3% of the adult population is in some form of incarceration, probation, or parole, they'd have great insight into where the system failed them and should have a say in electing people to political office. Besides, like the argument goes against defunding the prison industrial complex (all those people will lose their jobs) being a criminal is almost a civic duty and they should at least be awarded the right to vote.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Though it's a common belief that most felons can't vote, in fact they can once sentence is served in most states.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Yes they should once they've served their sentence.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@Boddicker said:

Why? its true

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Boddicker

@l34052 said:

@Boddicker said:

Why? its true

That doesn't mean it's unfair.

They chose to break the law so they lost their right to vote.

Color shouldn't come into the equation but OMG it's affecting black people disproportionately. Watch out!!!!

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Yes they should be allowed to vote. I also believe that you shouldn't be banned from owning a gun just because you have a felony. It should depend on the felony. Actually now that I think about mit. That same rule should apply to voting. Depending on your felony as to whether or not you should be allowed to vote.

This. It's all circumstantial.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

The question is kinda goofy. It's like asking 'should women and Blacks have voting rights.' People are not obligated to provide a justification for maintaining voting rights. It's the state that has the burden of providing a justification for revoking said rights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

There should be a path and a set of standards for a felon to vote. 2Chainz can vote and he is an educated felon

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Dems split on restoring felons voting rights

From the story:

Attorney General Eric Holder’s call to restore voting rights to felons after they’ve served their time in prison has split Senate Democrats.

Liberal Democrats who are not facing tough re-elections this year say it’s the right thing to do, but vulnerable incumbents are steering clear of the proposal.

Holder has become increasingly outspoken recently. This week he declared that state attorneys general are not obligated to defend laws that are discriminatory.

Political experts say barring ex-felons from voting impacts African Americans disproportionately.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, if you did the time then you can vote. So restore my brother's voting rights.

It should be based on the degree of the felony. If it was a victimless or non-violent crime I think you should be able to vote after time served. I think crimes such as rape, burglary, child molesting, any violent crime, etc.... no way.

It is pretty sad that Democrats are going down this road, how desperate can you be to stay in power where you need to get votes through criminals and people in country illegally?

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I believe banning any criminal from voting brings you one step closer to a totalitarian government.

It's easy think about rapists and the lowest common denominator from having any rights at all because you think they don't deserve any sort of empathy. But U.S. has a lot of laws and a lot of ridiculous methods to turn a non-violent person into a felon.

If a felon's vote is dangerous to a country's society, then I think it has far worst problems...

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The way the U.S. is, it's probably necessary. In no time probably half the adult population will have spent some time behind bars.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Why shouldn't they be able to vote? Because they got caught committing a crime? Many (if not most) people commit crimes, and the majority of those who do are never even caught. If a dude who's on a death bed expected to die in 3 days can vote, why can't a guy who's in prison?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Master_Live

As for people IN PRISON, no, no way. You gave up that right when you committed your crime, when you complete the punishment deemed fit by society then you can vote again, not a day earlier.

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Why shouldn't they be able to vote? Because they got caught committing a crime? Many (if not most) people commit crimes, and the majority of those who do are never even caught. If a dude who's on a death bed expected to die in 3 days can vote, why can't a guy who's in prison?

The thread is about people who have been in prison but have completed their sentence.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

After prison, parole and rehabilitation to introduce the person back into being a productive member of society, then you earn the right to vote again.

I don't believe felons should lose their voting rights forever because half of the people who you're voting for are committing felonies, misdemeanors, or in some way or another doing something illegal. They just don't get sent to jail for it. If your corrupt politicians are allowed to vote, why not your ex felons?

You prove you deserve a vote and you get one.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Blue-Sky said:

It's easy think about rapists and the lowest common denominator from having any rights at all because you think they don't deserve any sort of empathy. But U.S. has a lot of laws and a lot of ridiculous methods to turn a non-violent person into a felon.

Yes it is easy to think that about rapists....and they DESERVE to be thought of in that way. And wtf do you mean the U.S. turns non-violent people into felons? You sound like an apologist for rapists, wtf? Care to elaborate?

The problem with the United States Justice System is it is not good at rehabing these people, it is just a "punishment". The recidivism rate is absurd for sex offenders, you picked a poor example.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Of course. They payed their debt to society, why shouldn't they have the right to vote?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

I agree.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Of course. What's the point of denying political representation to citizens who have already been given the appropriate punishment by the state?