Should Deep Space 9 have been applauded for being diffrent?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

The first two seasons of Deep Space 9 are basically typical trek: albeit on a different setting. Then in the next 5 seasons: it felt like a different show.

At the time: response was mixed.Critics praising it, fans disliking it. Some people still dislike it to this day. A large story-arc, war and politics took precedents over Gene Roddenberry utopian vision.

After Deep Space 9, "voyager" and "enterprise" went back to the original style. These had their followings even though "enterprise" was cancelled.

For me: Deep Space 9 was the best show, partly because it was different and (for the time) it was rare to have a show with a progressive structure of shit actually happening - rather than a reset button every episode.

How feels you on Deep Space 9? Assuming some of you are old enough to remember or somehow have this "netflix" thing people bang on about.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Most people I know liked it an laud it for it's depth and quality of writing.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I loved Deep Space 9... It's a quality program and went in a great direction for Star Trek.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

For the longest time I was convinced that TNG was the "best" trek series, mainly because of Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes. However, after many repeated viewings of DS9, I have to conclude that it is the best, for a variety of reasons, such as deeper and more interesting characters, a progressive narrative (which was practically unheard of on television at the time and which network execs thought would never work), more meaningful story arcs, and some great work on the space conflict scenes, especially towards the end of the series.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Deep Space Nine actually paid homage to Gene's vision in an profound way. Typically the shows had the cast and species of proper lore to give that "utopia" feeling. Deep Space Nine was about contrast to that utopia and even delved into it when the changelings went to Earth. It was mostly situated at a set point in space on the edge of several territories including the bleeding edge into many new ones. To have utopia on deep space nine would of been... outright silly.

Also of Enterprise, not much unlike DS9 in direction, they too had the long story arc with war and all such things.

Voyager was just strange as hell. Watched the entire series but, strange as hell.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

I can respect it for what it did, although it didn't suit my particular tastes. Deep Space Nine is the series in which I lost interest in Star Trek. I think that's largely because it lost a lot of the philosophical underpinnings of the original series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup
@Allicrombie said:

For the longest time I was convinced that TNG was the "best" trek series, mainly because of Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes. However, after many repeated viewings of DS9, I have to conclude that it is the best, for a variety of reasons, such as deeper and more interesting characters, a progressive narrative (which was practically unheard of on television at the time and which network execs thought would never work), more meaningful story arcs, and some great work on the space conflict scenes, especially towards the end of the series.

Agreed.

"In The Pale Moonlight" especially stands out for me. People praise "The Dark Knight "for the hero throwing himself on the sword and taking the blame. In this episode Benjamin Sisko outright has to allow a murder to occur and drag the Romulans (potentially killing thousands) through a lie in order to survive the Dominion.

That was a fucking great episode.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

What an amazing series. As a kid I thought it was the most boring of all of them. I watched it again this year and I have to say it's my favorite.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

No. It sucked.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Allicrombie

@uninspiredcup said:
@Allicrombie said:

Agreed.

"In The Pale Moonlight" especially stands out for me. People praise "The Dark Knight "for the hero throwing himself on the sword and taking the blame. In this episode Benjamin Sisko outright has to allow a murder to occur and drag the Romulans (potentially killing thousands) through a lie in order to survive the Dominion.

That was a fucking great episode.

That's definitely one of the better episodes, I agree.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 presents great content to consider. I recommend it for those seeking to understand coexistence, disunity, and growth.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

It was the most soap-opera esque star trek, which isn't really a bad thing. I liked how it focused on it's characters.

I really miss star trek on TV, the new movies are more like action flicks, I don't really like them. It would be cool if they made a new series based on Starfleet Academy, like a high school series, but Star trek.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Allicrombie

@TheFlush said:

It was the most soap-opera esque star trek, which isn't really a bad thing. I liked how it focused on it's characters.

I really miss star trek on TV, the new movies are more like action flicks, I don't really like them. It would be cool if they made a new series based on Starfleet Academy, like a high school series, but Star trek.

Would love another trek series, with a focus on characterization and narrative.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Deep Space 9 gave a better view of what daily life in the show's world is like. Not everyone is on the move like those in other Star Trek shows.

It could get boring at times much like in the real world until events spice things up. But, that's just life and I can relate to it.

I loved DS9 because of the above.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

@TheFlush said:

One of the things that pissed me about Startrek 2009 was how obvious the Romulans are. They are basically angry Nosferatu in a big evil looking Gothic ship with Nero having the most simplest plot device imaginable.

If look at the Dominion in Deep Space 9: they had structure. Diplomatic, soldiers bread on a drug to keep them in line and the founders most just gave orders. They didn't just attack either: they came, looked around, influenced than attacked. Rather than them having some ultimate doom weapon as well: it is established well before the end of the series the Dominion will be beat. Digging themselfs in to kill as many as possible.

I understand in a movie you only have an hour an a half: but that didn't stop the undiscovered country having a good plot-line with themes and idea's.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

I thought DS9 was great. If it did more or less what the other star trek series did then it might as well have not bothered existing. Having a consistent story arc throughout and exploring the grittier side of war and politics gave a better insight into the star trek universe and a more relatable picture of the future. Gene Roddenberry's vision may have been utopian but I highly doubt humanity will ever completely shed the traits shown in DS9 that some star trek fans disapproved of.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've always gotten the impression DS9 was the most well-received of all the Star Trek's, while TNG was simply more popular. I really loved Deep Space 9, but honestly the show's idea and concepts are largely plagiarized from the much better show, Babylon 5. If there's any good reason why DS9 should get flak - it's for that. Despite DS9 being serialized and having a story in mind, it still feels largely non-serialized and aimless at times. There's a lot of extremely dumb stuff on the show too (like the shapeshifters assuming Odo's form 99% of the time, makes zero sense). Lots of really bad acting too, a lot of it from Sisko. Everything got a little silly as the series neared its end, the religious prophecy mumbo-jumbo was too much.

Babylon 5 was superior all-around, really. Though one episode from DS9 that I really loved was the Trouble with the Tribbles revisit.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup

Another thing I liked was that Chief O'brien got an expanded role. He was very minor in TNG and appeared to be one of the most likable character. Worf also got a more substantial role - he was getting mentally abused on the Enterprise.

Loading Video...

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I think it got just the right amount of adoration. It was a good addition to the Trekverse. It brought us into the 'dirty' part of the galaxy.

I would hope a new alternate universe series is being penned. Carry on from specific encounters from any of the series. Trek belongs on the tube. While I enjoy action films, the essence of ST is it's social commentary, not splosions.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

I believe they planned as "commander Worf" series at one point. It's currently been sitting on hiatus.

With these new movies: I think they will reboot it. But i'm not expecting it to be anything like star-trek - and not in the "good" Deep Space 9 way.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#22 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Heard that also. I think Worf had his story, it's time to start fresh.

I find it hard to believe it's been this long since ST was on the air, nearing a decade. I'd like a mini series format for a new show. 3-6 episodes with solid production value i.e. Sherlock.

Reizon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Reizon
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

I liked DS9, but just chose not to watch it after a while. Liked the few shows I watched, however.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

If you guys like Deep Space 9, you should check out Babylon 5, it's basically a better non-Star Trek version of the same concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I enjoyed Deep Space 9. It was a good series. I did like Voyager too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

I kinda viewed Voyager as "dumb trek". Aimed at a younger more mainstream audience. Saying that though: I did enjoy it.

I liked the episode with the "Meld" with the killer on board and "Distant Cousin" in which a race evolved from dinosaurs refuses to acknowledge it and forces a scientist to shut up Galileo style.

They over-abused the Borg imo. In the first episode in of TNG in which Q introduces them to set an example to Picard: they are genuinely intimidating because of the idea behind it - which has a great payoff of Picard having to ask for help.

However - in Voyager (and First Contact) they become space monsters.

One of the reasons I like the dominion (as mentioned above) is that hey have structure and behaviors. It's far more interesting than someone like Nero screaming his face off - because he mad.