Should a New Star Trek Show Be Made?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

With the quality of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films in mind, I am wondering what I asked in the title of this thread. The previous Star Trek movies starred actors from the shows. The current Star Trek films have a good cast and I think they could make a new show work. It would not have to be on television only or at all. Instead, it could be available for viewing by using an online service like Netflix.

What say you, GameSpot?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No. I don't even like the new movie.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Nope

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Sure.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

I'd watch a new show...if it was a completely original crew and Abrams has nothing to do with it.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Yeah. I think a new director is coming in. So there will be another Star Trek movie. I will miss those lens flares though.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Yes, bring on Enterprise season 5!

Also you should check out Star Trek renegades, it is going pilot online next year, and is going to feature alot of the voyager cast back. It is made by alot of people who worked on the show. Looks fantastic

Loading Video...

Also Star Trek Continues is being made by fans. Its basically Season 4 of TOS, If you love TOS, you love this pilot.

Loading Video...

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Yes the new cast is great on these new Star Trek movies. I thought about this too, it would be great if they were to do a tv series. I would definitely watch it. It would also be great to see some of the old actors take part in it once in a while.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

I would have a reason to watch TV again~ bring it~

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I think its time.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I think it'll happen at some point down the line but with the success of the recent films, I think the studio is gonna ride that train for awhile before thinking about going back to television.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

I think it'll happen at some point down the line but with the success of the recent films, I think the studio is gonna ride that train for awhile before thinking about going back to television.

I would think that they would want to do it now because of the popularity of the movies. Strike while the iron is hot~

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@GamingTitan said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

I would think that they would want to do it now because of the popularity of the movies. Strike while the iron is hot~

The movies are probably going to wind being bigger moneymakers than any new TV show they can come up with, not to mention there's already a huge offering of genre shows on television currently. It's a lucrative franchise, and I think CBS/Paramount is gonna take their time in making a new show that's going to be both a hit and profitable.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I liked the first of the JJ Abrams Star Trek films, but didn't care for Into Darkness that much, was rather displeased by it. Maybe someone else should take over as I doubt Abrams can keep up with its needs while he's making the next Star Wars film.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@ultimate-k said:

Yes, bring on Enterprise season 5!

Also you should check out Star Trek renegades, it is going pilot online next year, and is going to feature alot of the voyager cast back. It is made by alot of people who worked on the show. Looks fantastic

Loading Video...

Also Star Trek Continues is being made by fans. Its basically Season 4 of TOS, If you love TOS, you love this pilot.

Loading Video...

I've been enjoying this Star Trek episode above, will finish once i get home. Trippy ! Who are these people ? Not bad.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I would love for a new Star Trek show. But a rehash? **** that shit. I want originality. If I wanted to watch Kirk and Spock, I'd watch them in ToS. I don't understand people's obsession with rehashes. Also, J. J. Abrams movies were barely Star Trek. I'd love for the show to be like an evolution of Deep Space 9. I want more politics, diplomacy, and less shooting and punching bad guys in the face.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

That renegades trailer looked awesome - I would like for that to be made into a show. Ensign Kim is ftw.

When/if they do make a new show - hopefully the creative team will be full of great writers that can truly take star trek where no star trek show has gone before. More epic but at the same time not dumbed down in any way whatsoever (like the movies).

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

I would love to see a new Trek show attempted. It would need good writers to do it justice, though.

The reboot cast is strong and I think they'd have an audience.
Otherwise something completely new as long as its not like Enterprise.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

it will probably happen because the always make money, but each time there is another the quality goes downhill. Enterprise was the last Star Trek entry I truly enjoyed, it had some really good acting but that last few movies could have been replaced with something that was worth making.

A lesson for the makers of these is if you are going to use the name Spock stay true to the persona of Mr. Spock and don't F if up like the last one did. He would have made a great Romulan but he was in no way Spocko and he for damn sure wasn't a Vulcan any more than Turtle Head was in The Last Degeneration.

You know....I liked Picard but he was limited by the new Prime Directive of Baldly Go into the new frontier and instead of fighting he was required to talk at the enemy until they surrender out of boredom.

Except for a couple of seasons when they quit and ran to get away from Guinan xD

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

@Master_Live said:

No. I don't even like the new movie.

almost nobody that remembers the original Star Trek series and movie likes the last couple of shows - as time goes by they have continued to move a little further away from the original Star Trek every time there is something new made. each movie is less like ST and more of a generic Sci Fi flick.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'd like to see a new Star Trek that's about post-Dominion War and post-Borg. I liked the TNG-DS9-Voyager universe and how each show was interconnected with one another. But, I doubt we'll see one like it again.