Shooting at Washington Navy Yard.

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/police-search-for-active-shooter-on-grounds-of-washington-navy-yard-in-southeast-dc/2013/09/16/b1d72b9a-1ecb-11e3-b7d1-7153ad47b549_story.html

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
If only the U.S. Navy had a gun; then this might never have happened.
Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

Ban all the guns we shall fightwith sticks and rocks!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts
If only the U.S. Navy had a gun; then this might never have happened.Makhaidos
all of their guns ( conveniently ) were out to sea at the time... CONSPIRACY!
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
I'm assuming a place like that has plenty of good guys with guns, yet people are still laying dead and injured, with a shooter on the rampage.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
I'm assuming a place like that has plenty of good guys with guns, yet people are still laying dead and injured, with a shooter on the rampage.Randolph
Weren't there also "good guys with guns" working at the time at Columbine and VA Tech?
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Randolph
[QUOTE="Randolph"]I'm assuming a place like that has plenty of good guys with guns, yet people are still laying dead and injured, with a shooter on the rampage.Engrish_Major
Weren't there also "good guys with guns" working at the time at Columbine and VA Tech?

Yep. Apparently good guys with guns are not the all encompassing solution our friends at the NRA say they are. What are the chances this guy has an assault rifle and a few thousand bullets?
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

gun free zones are killing zones

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="Randolph"]I'm assuming a place like that has plenty of good guys with guns, yet people are still laying dead and injured, with a shooter on the rampage.Randolph

Yep. Apparently good guys with guns are not the all encompassing solution our friends at the NRA say they are. What are the chances this guy has an assault rifle and a few thousand bullets?

If he's a marine there is a good chance. If he's just some random guy then the chances are pretty unlikely.

Naval yards have armed security checkpoints and are very tightly controlled. They'll have to investigate how he could get a gun inside of a place like this.

Anyways the shooter is down. Sounds like a bit more than just a random act of violence. A person doesn't just bring a gun into a place like this.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
A shooter has died (according to BBC news right now)
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Engrish_Major

If he's a marine there is a good chance. If he's just some random guy then the chances are pretty unlikely.

Naval yards have armed security checkpoints and are very tightly controlled. They'll have to investigate how he could get a gun inside of a place like this.

Anyways the shooter is down. Sounds like a bit more than just a random act of violence. A person doesn't just bring a gun into a place like this.

Wasdie
I've only heard that one of the shooters has been downed. Anyway, since some of the victims are police/security, perhaps they just shot their way in?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

So I'm guessing we won't be able to go amonth without a shooting event in this country. 

I wonder how upset the NRA with the shooters, who are easily prepetuating the anti-gun feeling in this country. The NRA certainly can't argue that more guns could have solved this one. 

Ultimately, the media blitzes that go along with these events are what makes them keep occuring. I'm sure not all shooters want their 15 minutes of fame, but I'm sure some do.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Engrish_Major

I've only heard that one of the shooters has been downed. Anyway, since some of the victims are police/security, perhaps they just shot their way in?

Everything is unconfirmed. One source is saying that the shooter had a double barreled shotgun and was targeting specific people. Aimed first for the base officer. Could have more weapons on him. Certainly doesn't seem like a random act of violence.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
I'm assuming a place like that has plenty of good guys with guns, yet people are still laying dead and injured, with a shooter on the rampage.Randolph
The military doesn't walk around with guns. MPs yes.....but in general...no.:|
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

-

872.jpg

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

So I'm guessing we won't be able to go amonth without a shooting event in this country. 

I wonder how upset the NRA with the shooters, who are easily prepetuating the anti-gun feeling in this country. The NRA certainly can't argue that more guns could have solved this one. 

Ultimately, the media blitzes that go along with these events are what makes them keep occuring. I'm sure not all shooters want their 15 minutes of fame, but I'm sure some do.

jimkabrhel
Shootings happen every day.....you just don't hear about them. And while other countries don't have shootings per se....they do have murders as well. People just suck.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Another day another shooting.  Murder, among other things, is what happens when people don't have a strong moral foundation.  Where do people get strong moral foundations in modern society?  Family and Church, both of which have been attacked by government.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b78379493e12

Another day another shooting.  Murder, among other things, is what happens when people don't have a strong moral foundation.  Where do people get strong moral foundations in modern society?  Family and Church, both of which have been attacked by government.

hoola

:roll:

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

hoola
Yeah, I'm sure not enough church lead to this tragedy. There's no other option here.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hoola

[QUOTE="hoola"]

jimkabrhel

These people obviously think murdering innocent people is ok.  You have to question why that is, otherwise you aren't going to know why they were capable of doing it.  And I don't necessarily buy the mental illness excuse.  There are millions and millions of people with mental problems who are fine and wouldn't hurt a fly, so why do some become violent?  Once again I get back to family and church (I'm viewing the church as more of a community rather than a religion).  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

hoola

These people obviously think murdering innocent people is ok.  You have to question why that is, otherwise you aren't going to know why they were capable of doing it.  And I don't necessarily buy the mental illness excuse.  There are millions and millions of people with mental problems who are fine and wouldn't hurt a fly, so why do some become violent?  Once again I get back to family and church (I'm viewing the church as more of a community rather than a religion).  

Religion doesn't have a monopoly on community and morals. In fact, religion often gives the potential shooter the "moral obligation" to commit the act, based on word-for-word reading of scripture etc.

You have a valid point: family and community are being pushed by the wayside in our ever increasingly fast-paced culture, based too much on technology. But the government isn't to blame, not by attacking church, nor by attacking family.

The worst offender is our entire culture's refusal to fix the one thing that could help: education.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hoola

[QUOTE="hoola"]

HoolaHoopMan

Yeah, I'm sure not enough church lead to this tragedy. There's no other option here.

Being surrounded by people who all behave similarly and have similar morals can affect someones behavior.  Are you suggesting otherwise?  

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="hoola"]

hoola

Being surrounded by people who all behave similarly and have similar morals can affect someones behavior.  Are you suggesting otherwise?  

I'm suggesting your assessment is pure bullshit. Church attendance has dropped and children being born out of wedlock has been rising for decades while violent crime, including murder, has continuously dropped as well.

Suggesting that people need more church in order to avoid events like these?  Its absurd. 

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Engrish_Major

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="hoola"]

hoola

Not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that we force people to go to church?
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
It seems now that there is a shooting of this caliber at least once a month these days.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hoola

[QUOTE="hoola"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

Religion doesn't have a monopoly on community and morals. In fact, religion often gives the potential shooter the "moral obligation" to commit the act, based on word-for-word reading of scripture etc.

You have a valid point: family and community are being pushed by the wayside in our ever increasingly fast-paced culture, based too much on technology. But the government isn't to blame, not by attacking church, nor by attacking family.

The worst offender is our entire culture's refusal to fix the one thing that could help: education.

Although I understand the "moral obligation" argument, I believe peopel are far more likely to be involved immoral acts (like this) if they are distanced from the church (billions of religious people, maybe a few thousand who are willing to murder for it).

Regarding education, I don't really agree.  We are basically forced to go to school for a decade or longer and I don't see how improving that education is going to make someone a more moral person.  In fact, schools are often used as recruiting grounds for gangs (although it doesn't sound so far like gangs were the murderers in this situation).  We go to school to learn facts, not what right and wrong are.  Right and wrong are what determine whether someone will be a criminal or not and those two things are taught by church and family.  In school, right and wrong are not taught so right and wrong become irrevelant.  It becomes a matter of want vs ability.  

Most likely other influences on these people overrode what they may have been taught as a child.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

ncis-poster.jpg

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
CBS tweeted the name of the confirmed shooter, only to tweet again later that they were wrong. And they still haven't deleted the first one. The media in 'Murica is amongst the worst the world has ever known.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
Ironically military bases are usually the most strict when it comes to gun laws. CCPs aren't even valid on most of them regardless of if it being valid in the state you are in.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol at "whars the good guy with a gun?"

if you take a tragedy and politicize it for your own advantage you are an asshole.

right now you can go on tv and the internet and watch who is doing this for a 100% effective asshole barometer.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Well, this sure sounds familiar.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Engrish_Major
Crap. Now they've confirmed 12 dead.
nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

Has CNN already started do their sensationalist "analysis" yet?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

hoola

Although I understand the "moral obligation" argument, I believe peopel are far more likely to be involved immoral acts (like this) if they are distanced from the church (billions of religious people, maybe a few thousand who are willing to murder for it).

Regarding education, I don't really agree.  We are basically forced to go to school for a decade or longer and I don't see how improving that education is going to make someone a more moral person.  In fact, schools are often used as recruiting grounds for gangs (although it doesn't sound so far like gangs were the murderers in this situation).  We go to school to learn facts, not what right and wrong are.  Right and wrong are what determine whether someone will be a criminal or not and those two things are taught by church and family.  In school, right and wrong are not taught so right and wrong become irrevelant.  It becomes a matter of want vs ability.  

Most likely other influences on these people overrode what they may have been taught as a child.

You are mistaken in your assumption that when I say "Education", I necessarily mean school. Schools are part of it, and a good education that included politics, ethics and history SHOULD teach students what is write and what is wrong. In addition, it's a responsibility of parents to instill understanding of right and wrong in children, not to place them in front of a TV.

Churches can offer community and morals to a point, but there is also a lot of hate that gets spewed by fanatic sects and church leaders who want a theocracy, rather than a secular government.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
There are millions and millions of people with mental problems who are fine and wouldn't hurt a fly, so why do some become violent?  hoola
Maybe because not all mental illness is the same?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="hoola"]

hoola

There are millions of people from broken families and who don't go to church, and they aren't killing anyone either. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm replying to you since you're obviously just trolling.
TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

BRING ON THE TIN FOIL HATS.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
inb4 illuminati, government conspiracy to ban guns, NWO, aliens, etc etc
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

nomsayin

No, but Fox News has. They're already blaming Obama.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

He almost makes up for the innocent lives you take around the world.......... or not even close!

Good for him!   Going out with a bang!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="nomsayin"]

Netherscourge

No, but Fox News has. They're already blaming Obama.

Not shocking in the least.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Randolph
Although I understand the "moral obligation" argument, I believe peopel are far more likely to be involved immoral acts (like this) if they are distanced from the churchhoola
Statistics show quite the opposite. Areas with increased religiosity have higher crime rates all across the board.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Master_Live
[QUOTE="hoola"]Although I understand the "moral obligation" argument, I believe peopel are far more likely to be involved immoral acts (like this) if they are distanced from the churchRandolph
Statistics show quite the opposite. Areas with increased religiosity have higher crime rates all across the board.

Link or it didn't happened.
lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

I love how the media  always wants to paint the portrait of these shooters as "quiet" "geeky" "loner" "played video games" etc. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

I love how the media  always wants to paint the portrait of these shooters as "quiet" "geeky" "loner" "played video games" etc. 

lostfan132
Do they? If that's what's reported by people that knew them.....what do you want the media to do? Anyway most people play games now....
liberalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 liberalus
Member since 2013 • 791 Posts

i am shocked by this news we need to fix our gun laws

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Master_Live

i am shocked by this news we need to fix our gun laws

liberalus
What would you suggest Liberalus?
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
The issue is they did not have a gun at all times all the time. The people knew that there would be a large amount of people in their and not many armed. The NRA is once again being blames by fools and the media that don't see the whole painting through the Window. Has anyone that was backed by the NRA ever been attacked? NO, because those who follow their suggestions live peaceful lives.