Shock Graphics Show Severity of Proposed Obama Budget Cuts

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Well then if that's true I am a little surprised you would even mention that as a response to cutting 350 billion from our budget. Last time I checked the current federal deficit is something like 1.3 trillion dollars...it doesn't take an accountant to see that a cut of that magnitude would have a tremendous impact on our overall budget and deficit.surrealnumber5
running deficit but that does not count its actual debt, even with that large cut to military spending the debt would still be increasing by 10% in the next year.

Are you sure you are an accountant? If we cut the budget by 350 billion dollars that's a 25% reduction in our mounting debt annually vs had we done nothing.

It doesn't fix the problem, but how one can just brush a reduction like that aside is beyond me.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Ontain"]Taxes as a whole needs to be reformed. right now no corporation pays the actual corporate tax rate or even close to it. Heck Exxon paid nothing in 2009 federal while making billions in profits AND got a rebate of 106 million. why do we still have subsidies for the oil industry at this point? that's like 36billion a year. subsidies for alternatives are like 500million this year :P There's businesses using off shore offices just to avoid our taxes. Just one example is one 4 story building with 18,000 companies registered to it. the republicans also want to repeal the estate tax that only benefits the top 0.3% and would cost over 1 trillion over 10 years.

The oil companies would just charge us $5 a gallon instead lol...well actually it's not funny it's pretty sad. Not sure how i feel about subsidies myself. I think they can be a great tool to get big projects done and to stimulate local economies...but I think they are in all likely hood being abused.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]Well then if that's true I am a little surprised you would even mention that as a response to cutting 350 billion from our budget. Last time I checked the current federal deficit is something like 1.3 trillion dollars...it doesn't take an accountant to see that a cut of that magnitude would have a tremendous impact on our overall budget and deficit.Renevent42
running deficit but that does not count its actual debt, even with that large cut to military spending the debt would still be increasing by 10% in the next year.

Are you sure you are an accountant? If we cut the budget by 350 billion dollars that's like a 25% reduction in our mounting debt annually.

1t/10t = 1/10 or 10% if we have a running deficit of one trillion and a total debt of 10 (though its more like 14 now) then it would be 10% if you feel better with it being a 7% increase of 14 trillion we can go with that. running a debt is running a debt and we need not to run any. its funny how you are all for cutting military spending to get our countries finances under control but you are fine with continuing destructive spending policies as long as the military is cut
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Renevent42
There's a difference between our debt and our budget deficit. We will never get out of debt (or at least get it back in line with GDP) unless we balance our budget...a 350 billion dollar reduction is 25% of our current deficit. That's a huge saving and a giant step in the right direction. "its funny how you are all for cutting military spending to get our countries finances under control but you are fine with continuing destructive spending policies as long as the military is cut" That's the weakest strawman argument I've seen in this thread...can you please show me exactly where I said anything like that?
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 surrealnumber5
There's a difference between our debt and our budget deficit. We will never get out of debt (or at least get it back in line with GDP) unless we balance our budget...a 350 billion dollar reduction is 25% of our current deficit. That's a huge saving and a giant step in the right direction. "its funny how you are all for cutting military spending to get our countries finances under control but you are fine with continuing destructive spending policies as long as the military is cut" That's the weakest strawman argument I've seen in this thread...can you please show me exactly where I said anything like that?Renevent42
youre fine with running debt hell you just defended it in this post. it is not ok to run a debt it is really really bad to do so and it should not be tolerated.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]You are downplaying the seriousness of it by pointing to another problem...and maybe you were just being silly at the time but you also called the people who pointed out the defense budget cry babies. I don't think the rate of entitlement spending we have now is responsible either, never said that anywhere.surrealnumber5
and i never said the military should not have cuts, but where we might be able to cut that spending in half that still would do nothing to get us out of debt because of runaway entitlement programs.

but it should still be done. along with major cuts to entitlements, along with increased taxes / or a reformed tax code which would have the affect of increasing government revenues... it is ALL needed.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]You are downplaying the seriousness of it by pointing to another problem...and maybe you were just being silly at the time but you also called the people who pointed out the defense budget cry babies. I don't think the rate of entitlement spending we have now is responsible either, never said that anywhere.comp_atkins
and i never said the military should not have cuts, but where we might be able to cut that spending in half that still would do nothing to get us out of debt because of runaway entitlement programs.

but it should still be done. along with major cuts to entitlements, along with increased taxes / or a reformed tax code which would have the affect of increasing government revenues... it is ALL needed.

i would need to see one hell of a good faith effort on the part of the government (cuts) before i backed a tax hike of any sort.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]There's a difference between our debt and our budget deficit. We will never get out of debt (or at least get it back in line with GDP) unless we balance our budget...a 350 billion dollar reduction is 25% of our current deficit. That's a huge saving and a giant step in the right direction. "its funny how you are all for cutting military spending to get our countries finances under control but you are fine with continuing destructive spending policies as long as the military is cut" That's the weakest strawman argument I've seen in this thread...can you please show me exactly where I said anything like that?surrealnumber5

youre fine with running debt hell you just defended it in this post. it is not ok to run a debt it is really really bad to do so and it should not be tolerated.

I never said anywhere I was fine with running a debt, I am in favor of getting back to a surplus and to start paying off our total debt. That particular comment is in reference to how most countries (and even a lot of businesses) are run. They run a debt as it increases the pace at which a country/company can grow. The problem is it's usually done at a certain ratio to total GDP/revenue and we have gone way out of whack with it.

Also, I stated exactly the opposite many times in this thread and agreed entitlement programs need to be cut too. Your argument is starting to degenerate into strawmans and other fallacies...

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#109 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I'm sorry, but anyone who wants to cut over eighty percent of our educational funds and actually thinks that's a good idea is about as credible as a raving psychopath.Theokhoth
If someone believes Education is better handled by the states, and not by Governmental programs -- then, that makes them a raving psychopath? Or someone who has an opinion in which does not coincide with your own? I for one do not agree with making that substantial of a cut towards education, but to insult people who feel that way... that's what's wrong with the current political environment--People have issues respecting other views.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] and i never said the military should not have cuts, but where we might be able to cut that spending in half that still would do nothing to get us out of debt because of runaway entitlement programs. surrealnumber5

i would need to see one hell of a good faith effort on the part of the government (cuts) before i backed a tax hike of any sort.

problem with that is everyone's standard for "a good faith effort" would be different. some would never accept a rate increase no matter what, others would accept it with no cuts.. where do you put the bar?
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]I'm sorry, but anyone who wants to cut over eighty percent of our educational funds and actually thinks that's a good idea is about as credible as a raving psychopath.Stevo_the_gamer
If someone believes Education is better handled by the states, and not by Governmental programs -- then, that makes them a raving psychopath? Or someone who has an opinion in which does not coincide with your own? I for one do not agree with making that substantial of a cut towards education, but to insult people who feel that way... that's what's wrong with the current political environment--People have issues respecting other views.

... I would agree if it were not for the fact that the United States includes the Bible Belt.. Especially Texas.. Do we really want Texas to be completely running their education system? I don't think so.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#112 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="Ontain"]Taxes as a whole needs to be reformed. right now no corporation pays the actual corporate tax rate or even close to it. Heck Exxon paid nothing in 2009 federal while making billions in profits AND got a rebate of 106 million. why do we still have subsidies for the oil industry at this point? that's like 36billion a year. subsidies for alternatives are like 500million this year :P There's businesses using off shore offices just to avoid our taxes. Just one example is one 4 story building with 18,000 companies registered to it. the republicans also want to repeal the estate tax that only benefits the top 0.3% and would cost over 1 trillion over 10 years.

The oil companies would just charge us $5 a gallon instead lol...well actually it's not funny it's pretty sad. Not sure how i feel about subsidies myself. I think they can be a great tool to get big projects done and to stimulate local economies...but I think they are in all likely hood being abused.

well they have the option to do that but remember they are still making crazy profit and not paying much or nothing in taxes. and overly high price would just shift the demand from gas to more electric cars. as for subsidies, i think they are fine for funding new innovation or helping some struggling sector that we feel is in the national interest to have. alternative or clean energy is going to be the future and china and other nations are ahead of us. Those governments also support those programs so really it's a way for us to stay competitive globally. the oil industry doesn't need it though. they are profitable and making record profits.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

... I would agree if it were not for the fact that the United States includes the Bible Belt.. Especially Texas.. Do we really want Texas to be completely running their education system? I don't think so.

sSubZerOo

What they want to do with their educational system is *their* business. Not mine.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="Ontain"]Taxes as a whole needs to be reformed. right now no corporation pays the actual corporate tax rate or even close to it. Heck Exxon paid nothing in 2009 federal while making billions in profits AND got a rebate of 106 million. why do we still have subsidies for the oil industry at this point? that's like 36billion a year. subsidies for alternatives are like 500million this year :P There's businesses using off shore offices just to avoid our taxes. Just one example is one 4 story building with 18,000 companies registered to it. the republicans also want to repeal the estate tax that only benefits the top 0.3% and would cost over 1 trillion over 10 years.

well they have the option to do that but remember they are still making crazy profit and not paying much or nothing in taxes. and overly high price would just shift the demand from gas to more electric cars. as for subsidies, i think they are fine for funding new innovation or helping some struggling sector that we feel is in the national interest to have. alternative or clean energy is going to be the future and china and other nations are ahead of us. Those governments also support those programs so really it's a way for us to stay competitive globally. the oil industry doesn't need it though. they are profitable and making record profits.

Can't say I disagree with you...
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Ontain

sSubZerOo
yeah seriously. do we really want one of our most populous states to start pumping out kids that think the earth is 6k years old and that dinosaurs walked with man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Stevo_the_gamer

What they want to do with their educational system is *their* business. Not mine.

Actually it is our business if they provide a increasingly bias view on certain things that are incorrect that hamper the system.. Thats why we try to have a standardized education system to insure that things are being taught to how the scholars think is the most accurate account.. Something that can change consistently based upon peer review.. This may hinder the children for jobs that are out of state.. Or may provide increasing amounts of misinformation.. States are not seperate countries.. They are interconnected and one can affect all, just as all can affect one. With this kind of logic we can make arguments on states should have the right to deside what are capital offences and are not.. Or numerous other possibilities.. States have a well set of powers.. This isn't the 1700s... States should not control every facet of their working.. Thats not how system works anymore.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Actually it is our business if they provide a increasingly bias view on certain things that are incorrect that hamper the system.. Thats why we try to have a standardized education system to insure that things are being taught to how the scholars think is the most accurate account.. Something that can change consistently based upon peer review.. This may hinder the children for jobs that are out of state.. Or may provide increasing amounts of misinformation.. States are not seperate countries.. They are interconnected and one can affect all, just as all can affect one.

sSubZerOo

If the university system starts being hampered by "bias" (bias again relative to whatever you--yourself--believe) then I would be worried--the elementary level I could care less about. When children hit high school, they have the mental capacity to believe whatever they so please.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Actually it is our business if they provide a increasingly bias view on certain things that are incorrect that hamper the system.. Thats why we try to have a standardized education system to insure that things are being taught to how the scholars think is the most accurate account.. Something that can change consistently based upon peer review.. This may hinder the children for jobs that are out of state.. Or may provide increasing amounts of misinformation.. States are not seperate countries.. They are interconnected and one can affect all, just as all can affect one.

Stevo_the_gamer

If the university system starts being hampered by "bias" (bias again relative to whatever you--yourself--believe) then I would be worried--the elementary level I could care less about. When children hit high school, they have the mental capacity to believe whatever they so please.

:| Any person half versed in education and pyschology would realize that some of the youngest ages are the most important for education..

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

:| Any person half versed in education and pyschology would realize that some of the youngest ages are the most important for education..

sSubZerOo

A different view on Biology is not going to have detrimental effects on their future. Just because I believe in Evolutionism apposed to Creationism--or vice versa--does not mean my skills in Criminal Justice have been nullified.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Absolutely...I can't believe that person even made that comment.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Renevent42"] Absolutely...I can't believe that person even made that comment.

Because I see liberals love to make huge-sweeping bloody murder cries because some individuals believe in Creationism, and that their future is inherently doomed by clouded bias because they were taught that. I think the older generations of America would like to have a seat and talk with you, sons.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ontain

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Stevo_the_gamer

A different view on Biology is not going to have detrimental effects on their future. Just because I believe in Evolutionism apposed to Creationism--or vice versa--does not mean my skills in Criminal Justice have been nullified.

it means your skills in sciences may be. if you can actually understand all the evidence to support evolution and still think Creationism is more valid then you're not a very good scientist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Your logic fails.. View on biology would have a huge problem if it were based upon medicine or other related fields.. And it could have a huge deal in Criminal justice if we are talking about their grasp in history.. Are we to accept a judge that may never believed or accepted the historical precidence the civil rights movement had? In fact we have already had a few judges in the south make a full on mockery of it with things such as denying interacial marriages..http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/15/interracial-couple-denied_n_322784.html

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Ontain"] it means your skills in sciences may be. if you can actually understand all the evidence to support evolution and still think Creationism is more valid then you're not a very good scientist.

It could be, but then that could be anyways if you're going to church all the time with a deeply religious family. If one were to go into that field, the choices of education are wide and broad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Renevent42"] Absolutely...I can't believe that person even made that comment.Stevo_the_gamer
Because I see liberals love to make huge-sweeping bloody murder cries because some individuals believe in Creationism, and that their future is inherently doomed by clouded bias because they were taught that. I think the older generations of America would like to have a seat and talk with you, sons.

I could care less if people believe in Creaitonism.. And furthermore don't label.... Because in my mind this shouldn't be a Republican Democrat issue.. If kids want to believe in Creationism thats their business, afterall their parents can teach them all they want outside of school.. But when you have a official board specifically tryign to teach a specific religious view or bias.. There is a problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Ontain"] it means your skills in sciences may be. if you can actually understand all the evidence to support evolution and still think Creationism is more valid then you're not a very good scientist.Stevo_the_gamer
It could be, but then that could be anyways if you're going to church all the time with a deeply religious family. If one were to go into that field, the choices of education are wide and broad.

The difference being is your argueing with a pseronal Liberty against a government ran institution.. What your supporting is a violation of the first amendment.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Your logic fails..

View on biology would have a huge problem if it were based upon medicine or other related fields.. And it could have a huge deal in Criminal justice if we are talking about their grasp in history..

Are we to accept a judge that may never believed or accepted the historical precidence the civil rights movement had?

In fact we have already had a few judges in the south make a full on mockery of it with things such as denying interacial marriages..

sSubZerOo

We're not.

Wat.

This is why we have checks and balances; bad eggs exist in every field.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

The difference being is your argueing with a pseronal Liberty against a government ran institution.. What your supporting is a violation of the first amendment.

sSubZerOo

Are you sure about that?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Renevent42"] Absolutely...I can't believe that person even made that comment.

What are you blabbering about? Sons? I have kids myself...
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Ontain
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Ontain"] it means your skills in sciences may be. if you can actually understand all the evidence to support evolution and still think Creationism is more valid then you're not a very good scientist.

doing it on your own time is your choice. having the state purposefully teach science badly to children just makes society worse off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Are you sure about that?

:| Yes the public education system is a government institution.. It has government precedence and standards..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Your logic fails..

View on biology would have a huge problem if it were based upon medicine or other related fields.. And it could have a huge deal in Criminal justice if we are talking about their grasp in history..

Are we to accept a judge that may never believed or accepted the historical precidence the civil rights movement had?

In fact we have already had a few judges in the south make a full on mockery of it with things such as denying interacial marriages..

Stevo_the_gamer

We're not.

Wat.

This is why we have checks and balances; bad eggs exist in every field.

Checks and balances for local government in matters like this? Are you sure about that? Especially when each branch is just as bias as the other in a state government? Should we start allowing a state to have complete autonomy? Yeah your right that worked so well in the Reconstruction period after the Civil War where the South was left alone shortly after..

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

:| Yes the public education system is a government institution.. It has government precedence and standards..

sSubZerOo

I do believe you should glance over my previous comments; I don't think you understood by what I meant by highlighting that.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Renevent42"] What are you blabbering about? Sons? I have kids myself...

Calm down, it's an expression. The older generation has you beat, so you damn well would be a son to them.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Checks and balances for local government in matters like this?Are you sure about that?Especially when each branch is just as bias as the other in a state government?Should we start allowing a state to have complete autonomy?Yeah your right that worked so well in the Reconstruction period after the Civil War where the South was left alone shortly after..

sSubZerOo

Yes.

Yes.

The System does not end at the State Supreme Court.

States should follow the Law of the Land (Constitution).

Then =/= Now.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"] What are you blabbering about? Sons? I have kids myself...Stevo_the_gamer
Calm down, it's an expression. The older generation has you beat, so you damn well would be a son to them.

Beat on what? And you know, not every person from the "older generation" believes that non-sense anyways.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Beat on what? And you know, not every person from the "older generation" believes that non-sense anyways.

Renevent42

Age. Creationism is nonsense? That could be a very offensive comment--what other people believe is their business, but regardless of whether or not they believe it, you cannot say they weren't taught it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Renevent42
Yeah scientifically creationism is non-sense...and since we are discussing education and more specifically science...yeah it has no place in the classroom. In a philosophy class (or similar studies) I have absolutely no issue with it being explored in a classroom setting though.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]There's a difference between our debt and our budget deficit. We will never get out of debt (or at least get it back in line with GDP) unless we balance our budget...a 350 billion dollar reduction is 25% of our current deficit. That's a huge saving and a giant step in the right direction. "its funny how you are all for cutting military spending to get our countries finances under control but you are fine with continuing destructive spending policies as long as the military is cut" That's the weakest strawman argument I've seen in this thread...can you please show me exactly where I said anything like that?Renevent42

I never said anywhere I was fine with running a debt, I am in favor of getting back to a surplus and to start paying off our total debt. That particular comment is in reference to how most countries (and even a lot of businesses) are run. They run a debt as it increases the pace at which a country/company can grow. The problem is it's usually done at a certain ratio to total GDP/revenue and we have gone way out of whack with it.

Also, I stated exactly the opposite many times in this thread and agreed entitlement programs need to be cut too. Your argument is starting to degenerate into strawmans and other fallacies...

fallacy, businesses only run in the red when they are A)failing B) reinvesting for future growth, the government does not operate like a business and does not reinvest for future profit. it having a growing debt will only grow the debt faster in the future because of interest. you may try to equate how a business runs and how the government runs all day but it will never work for a slew of reasons. just so you know, it is risky and as a norm unwise for a business to ever take a gamble on planning a year in the red.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="comp_atkins"] but it should still be done. along with major cuts to entitlements, along with increased taxes / or a reformed tax code which would have the affect of increasing government revenues... it is ALL needed.comp_atkins

problem with that is everyone's standard for "a good faith effort" would be different. some would never accept a rate increase no matter what, others would accept it with no cuts.. where do you put the bar?

youre right it is subjective, and lets just say my bar would be set mighty high

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="comp_atkins"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i would need to see one hell of a good faith effort on the part of the government (cuts) before i backed a tax hike of any sort. surrealnumber5

youre right it is subjective, and lets just say my bar would be set mighty high

Unfortuantely the bar would be set unrealistically high by most..

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#142 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Age. Creationism is nonsense? That could be a very offensive comment--what other people believe is their business, but regardless of whether or not they believe it, you cannot say they weren't taught it.

And they say liberals are the ones that are politically correct.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]
youre fine with running debt hell you just defended it in this post. it is not ok to run a debt it is really really bad to do so and it should not be tolerated.surrealnumber5

fallacy, businesses only run in the red when they are A)failing B) reinvesting for future growth, the government does not operate like a business and does not reinvest for future profit. it having a growing debt will only grow the debt faster in the future because of interest. you may try to equate how a business runs and how the government runs all day but it will never work for a slew of reasons. just so you know, it is risky and as a norm unwise for a business to ever take a gamble on planning a year in the red.

A business/government leveraging debt is not the same as running in the red. And the governement definetly is setup to leverage debt for growth. Also, check your facts...almost every 1st world country runs with some form of debt...for the explicit reason of growth.

This is going off on a tangent anyways, I never said I supported debt and I never once implied I only wanted to cut the defense budget and say the hell with everything else. I explicitly said otherwise multiple times throughout this conversation.

If you want to keep harping on this line of thought have at it but you are basically just talking to yourself at this point and not arguing against anything I said.

My position is clear:

I want to cut spending in MANY areas of government including defense and entitlements..in addition...I wouldn't be totally unsupportive of some sort of tax increase if need be either. I would of course expect the budget cuts to come first though, if the governement gets serious about addressing our debt problem then I wouldn't mind doing my part either.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

A business/government leveraging debt is not the same as running in the red. And the governement definetly is setup to leverage debt for growth. Also, check your facts...almost every 1st world country runs with some form of debt...for the explicit reason of growth.

This is going off on a tangent anyways, I never said I supported debt and I never once implied I only wanted to cut the defense budget and say the hell with everything else. I explicitly said otherwise multiple times throughout this conversation.

If you want to keep harping on this line of thought have at it but you are basically just talking to yourself at this point and not arguing against anything I said.

check my facts? if you run on borrowed money you expect to do that forever? it does not matter that most countries/states run off of barrowed cash, it does not make it sound governing. i am sorry if you think this is healthy because that would explain your arguments up to this point. the government does not make investments, it taxes the people for its income, or sells notes that it will need to repay. your basic economic understanding is lacking
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Renevent42

Are you really an accountant or were you just blowing smoke up our ass? When you borrow money the intent is to grow your economy/business larger than if you didn't have those funds. That growth in turns pays the interest and the following year you borrow more (in proportion to your revenues/gdp) and the cycle continues. This model is intended for moderate but steady growth and is used all over the place.

And I never said I think this is a healthy model...only pointing out how it works and that it's used everywhere.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 surrealnumber5

Are you really an accountant or were you just blowing smoke up our ass? When you borrow money the intent is to grow your economy/business larger than if you didn't have those funds. That growth in turns pays the interest and the following year you borrow more (in proportion to your revenues/gdp) and the cycle continues. This model is intended for moderate but steady growth and is used all over the place.

And I never said I think this is a healthy model...only pointing out how it works and that it's used everywhere.

Renevent42

the government does not create productive jobs, it does not create productive jobs, the jobs the government creates does not help the economy, the economy is not helped by government spending. the socialist/keynesian modle has been disproved numerous times. the government commanding the market does not work and it has not worked. it has caused japan to have a 25 year stagnation, a lot of europe is going bankrupt it ended the Soviet union, caused the problems we have in the states, created hyperinflation a few times in my life time in south america the eastern block and zimbabwe. the government can not create wealth it can only control the basis of that wealth, the market and the people create the wealth by mixing goods with labor and having voluntary trade. when money is printed it only debases that wealth, think of it as increasing the denominator on a fraction.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Renevent42

Wow...you totally went off on a tangent there didn't you lol. Why are you even telling me this? What does that have to do with any of my points?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#149 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Stevo_the_gamer

So would it be offensive to call it nonsense when someone tries to tell you the Earth is flat? Would you hurt flat Earthers' opinions now?
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] So would it be offensive to call it nonsense when someone tries to tell you the Earth is flat? Would you hurt flat Earthers' opinions now?

It's about respectfully disagreeing. It's about having "cIass" in a discussion.