Shock Graphics Show Severity of Proposed Obama Budget Cuts

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Increase taxes and cut military spending, omg I solved the American debt crisis.

I can't understand how Americans freak out when the idea of tax raises come up and when the idea of specific spending cuts come up. I blame the republicans for this situation, if you want to call for budget cuts man up and produce some resonable ideas.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]What does he mean when he says: "when the federal government spends money, those are resources that are drained from the state, diluted by way of large Washington bureaucracy, and sent back to the school districts with red tape and strings attached."BMD004
Basically means that the states can handle a lot of things that Washington does much more efficiently.

That doesn't sound like what he is implying...more specifically how does the federal government spending money drain resources from the state? Much of this money is actually spent in and for the state and it's programs. Unless I am misunderstanding what he is trying to say.

Anyways like what I sorta alluded to in my earlier post, I think he's incorrectly attributing our educational performance just on the money spent on it federally (there's other reasons imo). Aside from the standardized testing issue, I'd throw plain old simple civil decay into the mix lol.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

Increase taxes and cut military spending, omg I solved the American debt crisis.

I can't understand how Americans freak out when the idea of tax raises come up and when the idea of specific spending cuts come up.

I would gladly pay more taxes if it meant getting us out of this mess. There're over 300 million people in the US. I know a large portion of that are kids, so lets just call it 100 million to be safe. Now lets just say they add 500 dollars worth of annual income taxes. Thats 50 billion bucks right there. What's wrong with that?
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts
Well getting this Great Country back to where it needs to be is not pretty.Obama is making the tough choices. Not the most popular ones.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]What does he mean when he says: "when the federal government spends money, those are resources that are drained from the state, diluted by way of large Washington bureaucracy, and sent back to the school districts with red tape and strings attached."Renevent42

Basically means that the states can handle a lot of things that Washington does much more efficiently.

That doesn't sound like what he is implying...more specifically how does the federal government spending money drain resources from the state? Much of this money is actually spent in and for the state and it's programs. Unless I am misunderstanding what he is trying to say.

Anyways like what I sorta alluded to in my earlier post, I think he's incorrectly attributing our educational performance just on the money spent on it federally (there's other reasons imo). Aside from the standardized testing issue, I'd throw plain old simple civil decay into the mix lol.

He's saying the state is more capable of spending its money than Washington is of doing it for them. Basically, Washington getting involved is just messing things up because they throw in all sorts of limitations and stipulations that just make things harder than they need to be.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"] Basically means that the states can handle a lot of things that Washington does much more efficiently. MrSelf-Destruct

He's saying the state is more capable of spending its money than Washington is of doing it for them. Basically, Washington getting involved is just messing things up because they throw in all sorts of limitations and stipulations that just make things harder than they need to be.

Speaking with many teachers and even a few principles almost all of them tell me the funds they receive from the feds is crucial. I get the red tape (and even testing falls into that) but if you cut the funds what's magically going to replace them? And again, he specifically says money spent by the feds drains state resources...I still don't completely understand that.

Under his proposed 'tax cuts' the only option is raising property taxes and other state taxes...he is simply passing the buck back. In other words, those tax savings will simply trickle back down to us when we pay our property taxes (for those of us who own a home).

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I can't understand how Americans freak out when the idea of tax raises come up and when the idea of specific spending cuts come up. I blame the republicans for this situation, if you want to call for budget cuts man up and produce some resonable ideas.

htekemerald

Well I agree with you that we need to cut military spending (and other spending as well), but raising taxes isn't a great long-term deficit solution. The problem is that while raising taxes may raise taxes in the short run (decreasing real GDP from raising taxes only partially offsets revenue gains at our current tax rates), it's not a great long-term solution (in the long run, the decrease in real GDP will eventually match or outweigh the revenue gains). Now that's not to say we don't need to raise enough tax revenue to cover our expenditures, but we should go about decided where/how to cut spending, do it, and then see what our budget situation is before we start talking about raising taxes (of course, I'd push for reforming the tax code (eliminating exemptions/tax expenditures, reducing marginal tax rates) before cutting spending, then cut spending, then look into raising taxes).

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Speaking with many teachers and even a few principles almost all of them tell me the funds they receive from the feds is crucial. I get the red tape (and even testing falls into that) but if you cut the funds what's magically going to replace them? And again, he specifically says money spent by the feds drains state resources...I still don't completely understand that.

Under his proposed 'tax cuts' the only option is raising property taxes and other state taxes...he is simply passing the buck back. In other words, those tax savings will simply trickle back down to us when we pay our property taxes (for those of us who own a home).

Well, I'm with you on that part. I don't know how giving them money is draining their resources at all. I honestly think the man is a complete idiot to even suggest they rob one of the most important institutions in any nation so blindly. Education is crutial to our future. Otherwise, why are we fighting so hard right now? What's the damn point of getting this country out of recession when its gonna be run by total morons in twenty years anyway? My wife is a middle school English teacher and while I'm not sure she knows much about thier budget and spending I do have to hear daily about how almost every kid is failing and the school board is forcing the teachers to pass them anyway. Why do you think that is? Because under the new standardized system when a school performs poorly federal steps in and takes full control.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

Since the TC's link references the Rand Paul proposal, allow me to discuss Senator Paul's proposed budget cuts. For those of you who are at all curious, here is a detailed view of the proposal for the new Rand Paul budget that shows how he would save the U.S. $500 billion per year. Before I proceed further, I want to show you all two important visual representations of how the U.S. spends your tax dollars if you live in this country.   Now, back to Senator Paul's budget. Look at it. I mean REALLY look at it. This is about as dead on arrival as is politically possible for a budget proposal to be. These two items positioned right next to each other show you everything that you need to know. DEFENSE.......................................................$47,500,000,000. (6.5%) EDUCATION..................................................$78,000,000,000 (83%) Only the Pell grant program survives. Cutting out 47.5 billion dollars from the Defense budget would only reduce it by 6.5%, but Rand Paul would rather eliminate over 83% of our Education Budget? This is honestly nothing more than a Republican fantasy dream put on paper. I doubt that there are even that many Republicans that want to go face the voters and say things like: "Because we think our children are the future of this country and we're falling behind the rest of the world in things like math and science, we've cut spending on their education by 83%."

"Because it's so important for the U.S. to be on the cutting edge of new scientific developments, we've cut the National Science Foundation by 62%."

"Because we think it is important that there be no discrimination when it comes to Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, we're eliminating the Department of Housing and Urban Development completely." (Among other things that cabinet level position is responsible for...) You get the idea. These programs/government entities exist and get more and more funding every year for two very important reasons: 1. They do useful things. Things that we, as a country, have felt is the legitimate role of government for decades.

2. The U.S. keeps growing each year, therefore the jobs that these programs/government entities do needs more resources because the job they need to do keeps getting bigger. As a simple analogy, think of staffing a tech support call center. Let's say that three people can handle 40 calls a day and give good service. If the call volume goes up to 80 per day, then those three people may not be enough and you need to invest in a larger tech support staff. Pretty basic right? It's the same way things like education work. If the number of kids that need to be educated goes up, then the money you need to spend to do things like build and maintain more schools, hire and train more teachers and support staff, etc. also goes up. And since the U.S. population is going to continue to grow, so is the size of government if we want to continue to have a public school system. So for Mr. Paul to blithely suggest cutting the education budget by 83%, what does he think is going to be the result? Unless you really feel that our education system is so bloated and inefficient that we can magically IMPROVE the quality of our schools and our education by removing 83% of the funding then what will happen is that our kids will get deeply dumber, less of them will be able to go to college, and the U.S. will gradually over time lose our ability to compete globally. Go through the rest of the list and think about what each one does and how slashing their funding billions and billions of dollars a year will impact their ability to do what they do successfully. So all these cuts that would utterly ravage our government's ability to do important things, and it still wouldn't actually accomplish it's goal. We'd still have a huge budget shortfall of approximately 800 billion to 1 trillion dollars. Let me repeat that: Even if every single one of Senator Paul's draconian cuts to all these discretionary spending programs went through, we'd still have an annual budget deficit of one trillion dollars. A serious approach to reducing the longterm structural deficit involves precisely three things. 1. Entitlement program changes (Social Security, Medicare, etc.) 2. Defense/military changes 3. Tax changes Any deficit reduction plan that is not 95% composed of some combination of cuts to Entitlement and Defense and increases in taxes is, flat out, not a serious deficit reduction strategy. It is unserious from a political standpoint, since I would wager even the majority of Republicans will run away as fast as they can from Rand Paul's recommended cuts to the "everything else" category of the first pie graph above. And it's unserious from the end goal it is trying to accomplish: actually reducing the longterm deficit since those are not the major areas we spend the vast majority of our money.

This is not difficult to understand when you take a high level view and look at where our spending really comes from as a country.nocoolnamejim

That is all.

I like this thread.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

chessmaster1989

Well I agree with you that we need to cut military spending (and other spending as well), but raising taxes isn't a great long-term deficit solution. The problem is that while raising taxes may raise taxes in the short run (decreasing real GDP from raising taxes only partially offsets revenue gains at our current tax rates), it's not a great long-term solution (in the long run, the decrease in real GDP will eventually match or outweigh the revenue gains). Now that's not to say we don't need to raise enough tax revenue to cover our expenditures, but we should go about decided where/how to cut spending, do it, and then see what our budget situation is before we start talking about raising taxes (of course, I'd push for reforming the tax code (eliminating exemptions/tax expenditures, reducing marginal tax rates) before cutting spending, then cut spending, then look into raising taxes).

America is in a structural deficit, even with harsh cuts to the military you will still be adding to the debt every year. Unless there are hundreds of billions that can be added to the budget through tax reforms tax increases are inevitable. Either that or there need to be deep cuts to programs no one wants cut.

and I'd say that the interest charged on the debt would more than counter balance any small growth in GDP caused by keeping taxes low.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

How did this thread become about Rand Paul?

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problem
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problemsurrealnumber5

There isn't really a problem with SS, but medicare will cause trouble.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problemFormer_Slacker

i am against them both in theory, if either were ran efficiently i would not be so vocal, though i still would not support them. i have no problem with private waste but public waste is the waste of other peoples money and i find that absolutely deplorable
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Renevent42
lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problemsurrealnumber5
No, the fact our defense budget is as large as every other country in the world combined and is one of our largest expenditures isn't part of our budget problem. You are absolutely right...and the BILLIONS of dollars annually we are spending in Iraq/Adghanistan has nothing to do with it either. All that stuff get's paid for with Monopoly money!
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="htekemerald"]

I can't understand how Americans freak out when the idea of tax raises come up and when the idea of specific spending cuts come up.

I would gladly pay more taxes if it meant getting us out of this mess. There're over 300 million people in the US. I know a large portion of that are kids, so lets just call it 100 million to be safe. Now lets just say they add 500 dollars worth of annual income taxes. Thats 50 billion bucks right there. What's wrong with that?

taxes are job killing, puppy punching, kitten stomping, baby poisoning blood of satan!!!
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problemRenevent42
No, the fact our defense budget is as large as every other country in the world combined and is one of our largest expenditures isn't part of our budget problem. You are absolutely right...and the BILLIONS of dollars annually we are spending in Iraq/Adghanistan has nothing to do with it either. All that stuff get's paid for with Monopoly money!

where did i say i was against cutting money from the military or for the war? please if you would point it out for me.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Renevent42
50 billion doesn't even begin to address the deficit unfortunately. I don't like paying taxes as much as anyone else...but if we want to have a budget like this what else can we do? There is no way growth alone will handle the difference...something has to give.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problemsurrealnumber5

where did i say i was against cutting money from the military or for the war? please if you would point it out for me.

Well you basically called the people pointing at the defense budget cry babies, and while you said you wouldn't mind trimming the fat you didn't consider it part of this countries budgetary problem. Maybe I miss understood you, but you sounded pretty condescending and a little contradictory.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 comp_atkins
50 billion doesn't even begin to address the deficit unfortunately. I don't like paying taxes as much as anyone else...but if we want to have a budget like this what else can we do? There is no way growth alone will handle the difference...something has to give.Renevent42
we either cut spending and raise taxes a bit soon or have to make huge spending cuts and large tax increases later. there's no way around it. i'd rather see a 5% tax increase now than have to pay a 15% increase 20 years from now...
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Renevent42"] No, the fact our defense budget is as large as every other country in the world combined and is one of our largest expenditures isn't part of our budget problem. You are absolutely right...and the BILLIONS of dollars annually we are spending in Iraq/Adghanistan has nothing to do with it either. All that stuff get's paid for with Monopoly money!Renevent42

Well you basically called the people pointing at the defense budget cry babies, and while you said you wouldn't mind trimming the fat you didn't consider it part of this countries budgetary problem. Maybe I miss understood you, but you sounded pretty condescending and a little contradictory.

its not the main issue that needs to be addressed, meaning it is not the biggest budgetary problem, i have no problem yelling at the dog pooping on the rug, but i do have issue with people ignoring the 800lb gorilla in the room
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Renevent42
How is it not? Is it not one of our biggest expenditures? Is it not grossly out of balance with what other countries spend? I am not saying it's only place that needs cutting, or that if we cut it it solves everything...but the defense budget IS the 800 lb gorilla in the room.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 surrealnumber5
How is it not? Is it not one of our biggest expenditures? Is it not grossly out of balance with what other countries spend? I am not saying it's only place that needs cutting, or that if we cut it it solves everything...but the defense budget IS the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Renevent42
no, the 800lb gorilla takes the form of entitlement spending, military is still part of discretionary spending. entitlements are the largest portion of our spending are going to increase exponentially in the upcoming years as the boomers retire, military is already doing self-imposed cuts. one is already the largest and is about to explode the other is number two and shrinking
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Renevent42

Yeah I saw the proposed military cuts...they were a joke. The defense budget is right up there with entitlement spending in our overall budget anyways...and when you compare it to other discretionary spending budgets it's literally like 60% of our budget. It's insane...

As for the wars we are already well above a trilliion dollars...that's a pretty sizeable amount of money. And with no end in sight it will just continue to grow and grow. Can you imagine if we invested that into our own country isntead?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 comp_atkins

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]How is it not? Is it not one of our biggest expenditures? Is it not grossly out of balance with what other countries spend? I am not saying it's only place that needs cutting, or that if we cut it it solves everything...but the defense budget IS the 800 lb gorilla in the room. surrealnumber5
no, the 800lb gorilla takes the form of entitlement spending, military is still part of discretionary spending. entitlements are the largest portion of our spending are going to increase exponentially in the upcoming years as the boomers retire, military is already doing self-imposed cuts. one is already the largest and is about to explode the other is number two and shrinking

yup. ss and medicare are an ever growing % of the govt's total expenditures and if not reigned in will pretty much engulf all the discretionary budget items until our budget consists of pretty much ss, medicare, a little for defense and interest payments on debt with nothing left for anything else.. people bicker over crumbs and ignore the loaf of bread sitting right in front of them...

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Renevent42
The defense budget is right up there with SS and medicare.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 surrealnumber5

Yeah I saw the proposed military cuts...they were a joke. The defense budget is right up there with entitlement spending in our overall budget anyways...and when you compare it to other discretionary spending budgets it's literally like 60% of our budget. It's insane...Renevent42
2010 spending

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Renevent42

You took 3 different programs and rolled them into a single category.

There's no way to ignore our defense budget is out of control. I do agree that we need to do something all around though, and I think we need to raise taxes too. We can't have two wars and all the issues internally and just keep going cutting taxes just because it sounds good in speeches.

This country has had many times in our history with higher taxes and we didn't drive ourselves into the ground. In fact, many times of prospecrity were during periods where the taxes were higher than what they are today.

Both parties are being irresponsible, and the American peope too. We keep voting in the same type of politician over and over again...we deserve what we get.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

You took 3 different programs and rolled them into a single category.

There's no way to ignore our defense budget is out of control. I do agre that we need to do something all around though, and I think we need to raise taxes too. We can't have two wars and all the issues internally and just keep going cutting taxes just because it sounds good in speeches.

This country has had many times in our history with higher taxes and we didn't drive ourselves into the ground. in fact, many times of prospecrity were during periods where the taxes were higher than what they are today.

entitlements are entitlements.... discretionary spending can be changes at a moments notice, entitlements just grow.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Renevent42

But they don't change it...it's been like this for years and isn't changing anytime soon. This is where we stand and where it has been for a very long time. You could roll up all the discretionary spending into one too but that (like what you are doing) merely obfuscates the obvious.

There's no way around it, the defense budget is a HUGE part of our budget and is wildly our of whack with the rest of the world. If we want to cut down our deficit, we will have to make major cuts there as well as many other places.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

But they don't change it...it's been like this for years and isn't changing anytime soon. This is where we stand and where it has been for a very long time. You could roll up all the discretionary spending into one too but that (like what you are doing) merely obfuscates the obvious.

There's no way around it, the defense budget is a HUGE part of our budget and is wildly our of whack with the rest of the world. If we want to cut down our deficit, we will have to make major cuts there as well as many other places.

again i am not against cutting military spending but it is not the big problem at hand. i do not think we should be fighting two wars and i dont think we should have stations around the world but that has nothing to do with what our biggest fiscal issue is, and that is the entitlement programs.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

To be fair, this is exactly what Rand Paul says about Education:

The mere existence of the Department of Education is an overreach of power by the federal government. State and

local governments, parents, and teachers are far better equipped to meet the needs of their students than this redtape laden department, which benefits teachers' unions more than pupils. However, Pell Grants will be preserved in

this proposal.

The Department of Education has increasingly meddled with the more traditional idea of education being tailored to

the needs and requirement of communities and states. The growth in education spending at the federal level has

gone from nearly $53 billion in 2001 to an estimated $95 billion in FY2011 – an 80 percent increase. When the

federal government spends money, those are resources that are drained from the state, diluted by way of large

Washington bureaucracy, and sent back to the school districts with red tape and strings attached.

During the first half of the past century, America ranked among the most educated population in the world. Since that

time, the role of the federal government in education has expanded significantly, at one point (FY2009) accounting for

10 percent of all government spending. The expansion of the role of the federal government in education has been

detrimental, as the U.S. now ranks far below other economically developed countries. In December 2010, the OECD

reported that the U.S. ranked 14th in reading skills, 17th in science, and 25th in mathematics (considered below

average) out of 35 developed nations.

BMD004

Your point is shot down when your comparing those rankings with other other countries that all have public schooling systems and not the prviate Rand Paul is suggesting. Which means it being as a public institution is not the problem just certain things within the system that need to be changed and fixed.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Renevent42
Our biggest issue is we are spending more money than we collect from taxes, and our defense budget is a huge part of that. Entitlements as well. I don't understand why we should downplay the defense budget just because entitlement spending is also a major part of the problem.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#85 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"][QUOTE="BMD004"] What are your thoughts on Rand Paul's explanations that I posted a few posts up... on education and energy. Does it change your opinion any?BMD004

I wouldn't say that there aren't mitigating factors in what you say. I'm not one of those "throw money at things and it will fix it all" folks. But I don't think it changes my overall analysis of the situation. 1. Rand Paul's cuts are draconian. - Example: Do any of us REALLY think that the Department of Education is SO bloated that an 83% cut isn't going to have negative ramifications? If they are bloated, then what are the changes needed to make them more efficient? 2. Rand Paul's cuts aren't from the areas where the fat is - Every single one of Paul's cuts are from a tiny slice of the overall federal budget. Combined with them being draconian, they aren't long-term efficient relative to the impact caused by what you're cutting. I do think he's a well-intentioned, if in my opinion incorrect, man. He's genuinely trying to govern. But I think he is ultimately wrong and too blinded by his own libertarian ideology to realize the impact of his own proposals. My personal view is that the magic formula remains... 1. Economic recovery out of the recession 2. Letting some of the Bush Tax cuts expire 3. Ending the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan 4. Making some adjustments to Entitlement programs along the lines of retirement age in social security.

What he says here makes a lot of sense: "The growth in education spending at the federal level has gone from nearly $53 billion in 2001 to an estimated $95 billion in FY2011 – an 80 percent increase. When the federal government spends money, those are resources that are drained from the state, diluted by way of large Washington bureaucracy, and sent back to the school districts with red tape and strings attached." ^^ In addition to that, the education rankings in relation to the rest of the world have had an inverse relationship to increase in education spending. Why is education getting worse with the more money spent on it? I think he simply wants states to have more control over their education, and less from the federal government.

education is much more complicated than just to look at money spent. if we look at higher education sector we will see that they have also less rigor and performance now. these are places that ppl pay for (not free like k-12). http://www.npr.org/2011/02/09/133310978/in-college-a-lack-of-rigor-leaves-students-adrift "the fact that more than a third of students showed no improvement in critical thinking skills after four years at a university was cause for concern." I think it's more a societal thing than just money. but cuts to education would just aggravate the situation even more. there are plenty of schools that have little money for supplies. I know my parents never had to pay for supplies when i was in elementary. it's now commonplace. so if there has been great increases in educational spending it's either not going to the right place or not matching our growth.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 surrealnumber5
Our biggest issue is we are spending more money than we collect from taxes, and our defense budget is a huge part of that. Entitlements as well. I don't understand why we should downplay the defense budget just because entitlement spending is also a major part of the problem.Renevent42
military spending 1) defense spending is decesing 2) at some point the wars should end 3) there is already a large push to cut spending further here entitlement spending 1) entitlements are about to go up at an alarming rate 2) we are adding new entitlements not removing old ones 3) there is, almost, no push to deal with this issue.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Ontain
[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]lol everyone pointing out defense and crying, look at SS and medicare they should not even be. i am all for trimming fat off of defense but that is not this countries budgetary problemsurrealnumber5

i am against them both in theory, if either were ran efficiently i would not be so vocal, though i still would not support them. i have no problem with private waste but public waste is the waste of other peoples money and i find that absolutely deplorable

SS wasn't bad till Congress borrowed money from the fund that was supporting it and never repaid it. The government now owes the fund a lot. It's kicked the bucket down the road and hopes to cut SS so they don't need to pay much back. So basically they want to make large cuts to a program that was working till they robbed the program of money that it was owed to keep working well.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

Ontain

SS wasn't bad till Congress borrowed money from the fund that was supporting it and never repaid it. The government now owes the fund a lot. It's kicked the bucket down the road and hopes to cut SS so they don't need to pay much back. So basically they want to make large cuts to a program that was working till they robbed the program of money that it was owed to keep working well.

if it were run like any other retirement program, you know, setting up a fund and paying in what people pay in and giving them some low yield interest on the money, i would think it would be better off private but i would not think it to be the ponzi scheme it is now. you are correct, it was not designed to be another piece of the income pie for the gov but that is what it became and it did not take those politicians long after the program was started to rob that pot.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Our biggest issue is we are spending more money than we collect from taxes, and our defense budget is a huge part of that. Entitlements as well. I don't understand why we should downplay the defense budget just because entitlement spending is also a major part of the problem.surrealnumber5
military spending 1) defense spending is decesing 2) at some point the wars should end 3) there is already a large push to cut spending further here entitlement spending 1) entitlements are about to go up at an alarming rate 2) we are adding new entitlements not removing old ones 3) there is, almost, no push to deal with this issue.

Even if the wars end we will still have bases abroad and mentioning spending is decreasing is pretty empty considering the amount it is decreasing is laughable compared to what we spend overall on it. Also, they do make cuts to entitlement spending, and they also make adjustment (ie raise entitlement age ect). They are both part of the problem, ignoring one over the other get's us nowhere.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]Our biggest issue is we are spending more money than we collect from taxes, and our defense budget is a huge part of that. Entitlements as well. I don't understand why we should downplay the defense budget just because entitlement spending is also a major part of the problem.Renevent42

Even if the wars end we will still have bases abroad and mentioning spending is decreasing is pretty empty considering the amount it is decreasing is laughable compared to what we spend overall on it. Also, they do make cuts to entitlement spending, and they also make adjustment (ie raise entitlement age ect). They are both part of the problem, ignoring one over the other get's us nowhere.

who is ignoring, and expending less no matter how much less is always better than expending more. you call the cuts in the military a joke but not the raise in SS age that will not kick in for years down the road? somehow in your mind a cut today is laughable but two years of possible constant a many years down the road is responsible?
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Renevent42
You are downplaying the seriousness of it by pointing to another problem...and maybe you were just being silly at the time but you also called the people who pointed out the defense budget cry babies. I don't think the rate of entitlement spending we have now is responsible either, never said that anywhere.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 surrealnumber5
You are downplaying the seriousness of it by pointing to another problem...and maybe you were just being silly at the time but you also called the people who pointed out the defense budget cry babies. I don't think the rate of entitlement spending we have now is responsible either, never said that anywhere.Renevent42
and i never said the military should not have cuts, but where we might be able to cut that spending in half that still would do nothing to get us out of debt because of runaway entitlement programs.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Renevent42

Half the defense budget is almost 350 billion dollars annually...that would have a tremendous impact on our deficit. Would it fix it? No of course not, but it would be a huge step in the right direction. And guess what, cutting entitlement programs alone wouldn't solve our deficit problem either.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 surrealnumber5
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Half the defense budget is almost 350 billion dollars annually...that would have a tremendous impact on our deficit. Would it fix it? No of course not, but it would be a huge step in the right direction. And guess what, cutting entitlement programs alone wouldn't solve our deficit problem either.

350 B is just a drop in the bucket when you consider the underfunded liability of SS alone, it is around 80 trillion, yes trillion with a T
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Renevent42

You realize that's over a very long period of time and not annually?

I would also be careful throwing around figures like that...most of the time they don't include things like growth, projected adujstments, tax rates, ect...opponent to entitlement programs have been using big scary figures like this for decades. If it were true we should have been bankrupted decades ago.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 surrealnumber5
You realize that's over a very long period of time and not annually?Renevent42
yea i know a lot about accounting for numbers as i do it for a living, because i am an accountant, i know what a underfunded liability is and i also know if the fed had to use GAAP it would be insolvent right now.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Renevent42
Well then if that's true I am a little surprised you would even mention that as a response to cutting 350 billion from our budget. Last time I checked the current federal deficit is something like 1.3 trillion dollars...it doesn't take an accountant to see that a cut of that magnitude would have a tremendous impact on our overall budget and deficit.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 surrealnumber5
Well then if that's true I am a little surprised you would even mention that as a response to cutting 350 billion from our budget. Last time I checked the current federal deficit is something like 1.3 trillion dollars...it doesn't take an accountant to see that a cut of that magnitude would have a tremendous impact on our overall budget and deficit.Renevent42
running deficit but that does not count its actual debt, even with that large cut to military spending the debt would still be increasing by 10% in the next year.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Ontain
Taxes as a whole needs to be reformed. right now no corporation pays the actual corporate tax rate or even close to it. Heck Exxon paid nothing in 2009 federal while making billions in profits AND got a rebate of 106 million. why do we still have subsidies for the oil industry at this point? that's like 36billion a year. subsidies for alternatives are like 500million this year :P There's businesses using off shore offices just to avoid our taxes. Just one example is one 4 story building with 18,000 companies registered to it. the republicans also want to repeal the estate tax that only benefits the top 0.3% and would cost over 1 trillion over 10 years.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 surrealnumber5
Taxes as a whole needs to be reformed. right now no corporation pays the actual corporate tax rate or even close to it. Heck Exxon paid nothing in 2009 federal while making billions in profits AND got a rebate of 106 million. why do we still have subsidies for the oil industry at this point? that's like 36billion a year. subsidies for alternatives are like 500million this year :P There's businesses using off shore offices just to avoid our taxes. Just one example is one 4 story building with 18,000 companies registered to it. the republicans also want to repeal the estate tax that only benefits the top 0.3% and would cost over 1 trillion over 10 years. Ontain
why do we have subsidies at all? why is it ok for the gov to pick winners and losers? i dont like the whole special interest group tax and supplement system, it just shows how corrupt our system is