Sheriff candidate would use deadly force on abortion providers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nocoolnamejim (15136 posts) -
Link [quote="Frank Szabo"] Frank Szabo said that as sheriff, he would arrest any doctor performing elective or late-term abortions in his jurisdiction. "There is a difference between legal and lawful," Szabo said. Szabo explained the difference by referring to the issue of slavery, which he said used to be legal but was never lawful under the Constitution. He said that even though elective abortions are legal in New Hampshire, with some restrictions, he doesn't consider them lawful. But Szabo may have inflamed the issue further when asked if he would use deadly force to prevent an abortion. "I would respond specifically by saying that if someone is under threat, a full-grown human being, if they're under threat, what should the sheriff do? Everything in their power to prevent them from being harmed," he said. When pressed about what he would do if he learned that a doctor was about to perform an elective abortion, Szabo replied he would do what it took to prevent that from happening. "Absolutely," he said. "Well, I would hope that it wouldn't come to that, as with any situation where someone is in danger, but again, specifically talking about elective abortions and late-term abortions, that is an act that needs to be stopped." Republican House Speaker Bill O'Brien called on Szabo to quit the race in light of his statements. "Mr. Szabo's comments make it clear that he does not understand the constitutional role of sheriff in New Hampshire. Moreover, no elected official is given the latitude to take the law into his or her own hands and decide he or she knows better than the Legislature and governor what should be enforceable laws," O'Brien said in a written statement. "It is our hope that Mr. Szabo will withdraw from this race and think long and hard about grounding himself in constitutional law and principles before considering political office in the future." ... Szabo maintains that the county sheriff is a position that doesn't answer to any other public official. "The county sheriff doesn't have a superior officer," he said. "They are the chief law enforcement officer of the county. If a public official tells them to do something, they need to ask why and not just automatically do it."

I'm a little surprised at this. New Hampshire is a slightly liberal leaning state. Typically you see candidates like this for public office in much more conservative leaning states. This seems to be the sort of thing that could incite violence. We've seen abortion doctors killed for doing so by private citizens.
#2 Posted by dave123321 (35329 posts) -
smh
#3 Posted by juden41 (4447 posts) -
Good. Kill them all!
#5 Posted by sonicare (55326 posts) -

If it's not illegal, then he can do nothing.

#6 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

Why, all of a sudden, are there candidates for office that are speaking out in support of fringe ideas? I don't agree with this "by any means necessary" crap when it comes to pushing your beliefs on to others who don't share them.

#7 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

Is it just me or does it seem political candidates have gotten more extreme recently? It seems people on both sides have been saying some crazy things. I remember a few months ago, during a primary debate, Democratic candidates for Senate in my state actually said that the federal government has the authority to force Catholic hospitals to perform abortions (two out of five candidates said they would support that, two didn't really give a straight answer, and the guy who eventually won the primary pretty much said that he is against that). Of course the Catholic Bishops of Connecticut did not take this lying down.

#8 Posted by Wasdie (53437 posts) -

Sheriff candidate...

Every county has a sheriff and many candidates for the job. Odds are one of them is going to be off of his rocker.

#9 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (9336 posts) -
Fire him. Simple enough.
#10 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

To be fair, Szabo does have a point: lethal force is often used on one person in order to prevent them from taking someone else's lives.

#11 Posted by Wasdie (53437 posts) -

Fire him. Simple enough. HoolaHoopMan

He's not even in office. Sheriffs are voted on.

He's some guy who wants the job. Could be any idiot.

#12 Posted by dave123321 (35329 posts) -

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]Fire him. Simple enough. Wasdie

He's not even in office. Sheriffs are voted on.

He's some guy who wants the job. Could be any idiot.

OT won't care.
#13 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35510 posts) -

Godammit Svabo, don't make us hampshirites look bad.

I want to be able to feel like I live in one of the saner states. :(

#14 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

Link [quote="Frank Szabo"] Frank Szabo said that as sheriff, he would arrest any doctor performing elective or late-term abortions in his jurisdiction. "There is a difference between legal and lawful," Szabo said. Szabo explained the difference by referring to the issue of slavery, which he said used to be legal but was never lawful under the Constitution. He said that even though elective abortions are legal in New Hampshire, with some restrictions, he doesn't consider them lawful. But Szabo may have inflamed the issue further when asked if he would use deadly force to prevent an abortion. "I would respond specifically by saying that if someone is under threat, a full-grown human being, if they're under threat, what should the sheriff do? Everything in their power to prevent them from being harmed," he said. When pressed about what he would do if he learned that a doctor was about to perform an elective abortion, Szabo replied he would do what it took to prevent that from happening. "Absolutely," he said. "Well, I would hope that it wouldn't come to that, as with any situation where someone is in danger, but again, specifically talking about elective abortions and late-term abortions, that is an act that needs to be stopped." Republican House Speaker Bill O'Brien called on Szabo to quit the race in light of his statements. "Mr. Szabo's comments make it clear that he does not understand the constitutional role of sheriff in New Hampshire. Moreover, no elected official is given the latitude to take the law into his or her own hands and decide he or she knows better than the Legislature and governor what should be enforceable laws," O'Brien said in a written statement. "It is our hope that Mr. Szabo will withdraw from this race and think long and hard about grounding himself in constitutional law and principles before considering political office in the future." ... Szabo maintains that the county sheriff is a position that doesn't answer to any other public official. "The county sheriff doesn't have a superior officer," he said. "They are the chief law enforcement officer of the county. If a public official tells them to do something, they need to ask why and not just automatically do it." nocoolnamejim
I'm a little surprised at this. New Hampshire is a slightly liberal leaning state. Typically you see candidates like this for public office in much more conservative leaning states. This seems to be the sort of thing that could incite violence. We've seen abortion doctors killed for doing so by private citizens.

We have also seen abortionists commit or attempt to commit acts of violence against pro-lifers. The violence goes both ways.

#15 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Yikes, I'm against late term abortions (like come on lady, its a binary choice you should really spend more then a few days thinking about), but this guy sounds like he's against all abortion, and he isn't making a lot of sense or good arguments to his position. I'd say he's just a little crazy, to put it mildly.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
#16 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (18526 posts) -

To be fair, Szabo does have a point: lethal force is often used on one person in order to prevent them from taking someone else's lives.

whipassmt

Facepalm-1.jpeg

It frightens me to think people this stupid exist....

#17 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
We should put every man without hands in prison for committing genocide.
#18 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
We should put every man without hands in prison for committing genocide.
#19 Posted by TopTierHustler (3894 posts) -

The stupid conservative candidates are coming out in force in the last couple weeks.

So far I've heard in the last couple weeks.

"people surprised evolution is on standardized tests"

"rape doesn't cause pregnancy"

"Obama was born in Kenya"

"deadly force on abortionists"

lulz lulz lulz

#20 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

LostProphetFLCL

Facepalm-1.jpeg

Judging by their armaments I'de say these people are prepared to use deadly force.

#21 Posted by Serraph105 (31645 posts) -

You know, republicans respond to abortion by saying that they want to take away your right to have it. Democrats respond by trying to make birth control more accessible thus reducing the chance that an abortion would be an option to begin with.

#22 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -
Save lives! KILL DOCTORS!
#23 Posted by TopTierHustler (3894 posts) -

Save lives! KILL DOCTORS!CJL13
Probably the same people that say abortion is wrong cause it says killing is wrong in the bible but turn around and support the death penalty.

Stupid people bing stupid.

#24 Posted by Audacitron (971 posts) -

Topic title is very misleading.

The guy's a fool, but they clearly pushed him on what is a very, ridiculously hypothetical scenario.

#25 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29832 posts) -

And the carnival of stupid continues.

#26 Posted by whipassmt (15375 posts) -

Topic title is very misleading.

The guy's a fool, but they clearly pushed him on what is a very, ridiculously hypothetical scenario.

Audacitron

yeah, the media is like that sometimes, they back candidates into a corner and then spin their words out of context.

#27 Posted by MrGeezer (59096 posts) -

Yikes, I'm against late term abortions (like come on lady, its a binary choice you should really spend more then a few days thinking about), but this guy sounds like he's against all abortion, and he isn't making a lot of sense or good arguments to his position. I'd say he's just a little crazy, to put it mildly.

SPYDER0416
That he's opposed to all abortion isn't even the issue. The point is that as sheriff it's his duty to obey the law. It doesn't even matter what his position on abortion is, he doesn't just get to ignore the law because he doesn't like it.
#28 Posted by worlock77 (22552 posts) -

I don't know what's more moronic this:

"There is a difference between legal and lawful," Szabo said.

or this little nugget from the comments section:

"Read it carefully crazy people. Deadly force means JAIL not necessarily killing."