Shazam wins the box office weekend and Pet Sematary (2019) performance are in a mix bags!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts
  1. Shazam - $53.4 Million (new release)
  2. Pet Semetary - $25.0 Million (new release)
  3. Dumbo - $18.2 Million
  4. Us - $13.8 Million
  5. Captain Marvel - $12.6 Million
  6. The Best of Enemies - $4.5 Million (new release)
  7. Five Feet Apart - $3.7 Million
  8. Unplanned - $3.2 Million
  9. Wonder Park - $2.0 Million
  10. How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World - $1.9 Million

I think Shazam made about as much as was expected, if not a bit more. Still seems a bit underwhelming for a DC comic book movie these days, Aquaman did a fantastic job but I actually expected more out of Shazam. I think its a victim of its release date, all the buzz is about Endgame right now. Shazam would have done better as a late summer release. Pet Sematary is low and I have yet to watch it, I expect to be much higher then $25 million. Enjoy Shazam and looking forward to another Shazam movie in the future.

April 5-7 mojo's box office weekend

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Shazam was pretty good one of the better DC films

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Really nice to see DC getting it's shit together.

Who knows, maybe the final Henry Cavill Superman movie he's contracted to do could end up being really great,

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Who knows, maybe the final Henry Cavill Superman movie he's contracted to do could end up being really great,

I'd be more surprised if it actually happens. The ONLY ones who are safe are Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa. Afleck stepped dow,n Warner Bros. is more likely going to let Ezra Miller's contract run out in May, so he's probably gone... I think anyone attached to the early incantation of the DCEU--actors, Zack Snyder--is gonna be on the chopping block.

Oh, Margot Robbie isn't going anywhere. Almost forgot about her.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Didn’t know they made another Pet Semetary movie. Gonna have to check it out as I loved the first.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@davillain-:

I just saw Pet Sematary with my little one on Friday. It was actually really good! Just when I thought I knew what was gonna happen next, the movie makes a full 180. In some ways, it does things better than the original. Solid 9/10. In the same spirit of the original but with a modern twist. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake. ?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@davillain-:

I just saw Pet Sematary with my little one on Friday. It was actually really good! Just when I thought I knew what was gonna happen next, the movie makes a full 180. In some ways, it does things better than the original. Solid 9/10. In the same spirit of the original but with a modern twist. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake. ?

Good to hear it's a solid movie. Will go see it this Monday myself.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I'd be more surprised if it actually happens. The ONLY ones who are safe are Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa. Afleck stepped dow,n Warner Bros. is more likely going to let Ezra Miller's contract run out in May, so he's probably gone... I think anyone attached to the early incantation of the DCEU--actors, Zack Snyder--is gonna be on the chopping block.

Oh, Margot Robbie isn't going anywhere. Almost forgot about her.

Defended Zack Snyder over Watchman, was a very good movie imo. But now he's arguably worse than Joel Schumacher for what he's done to DC movies.

Speaking of which, have you seen that deleted, totally not a rip-off of starwars scene with not-manbat? That scene and a couple of others, removed the entire context of the ending where it just turns into a simple hallucination for the RIddler with a very vague speech.

Loading Video...

Joel Schumacher gets a lot of crap, but he originally wanted to do it in the darker more serious tone, but was basically forced by the studios to make it kid friendly. Too bad, I think he actually could have made some decent Batman movies if he had the freedom to do that.

Tim Burton had massive, massive freedom by comparison, DC practically let him do whatever he wanted for Batman Returns.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@uninspiredcup: At least DC and Warner is trying to make course corrections going forward. I can't even watch those Joel Schumacher movies--Jim Carey ruins that third movie, and Batman & Robin is just a hot mess all the way around.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@hallenbeck77: "Jim Carey ruins that third movie,"

You're nuts if you're talking about"Batman Forever"

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Pet Sematary sucked.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

So the DC-Marvel stranglehold on Hollywood continues. Disgusting.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@PSP107: I said what I said!

But seriously, it was nothing but Jim Carey, Careying it up. After seeing what was done in the animated series, Carey just craps all over it with bad puns and horrible dialogue. For someone whose character is supposed to be intelligent, you expect something close to wit, not someone who's acting like he has severe brain damage. I mean, he throws someone out a window into the ocean, and the best quip he has is "Surf's up, big kahuna"? Screw his performance. Tommy Lee Jones was the ONLY one in that movie who gave a good show.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@PSP107: I said what I said!

But seriously, it was nothing but Jim Carey, Careying it up. After seeing what was done in the animated series, Carey just craps all over it with bad puns and horrible dialogue. For someone whose character is supposed to be intelligent, you expect something close to wit, not someone who's acting like he has severe brain damage. I mean, he throws someone out a window into the ocean, and the best quip he has is "Surf's up, big kahuna"? Screw his performance. Tommy Lee Jones was the ONLY one in that movie who gave a good show.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face was horrible too. The problem with the movie is it was done in the same vein as the 60's Batman show. That's why both Two Face and Riddler who are normally dark and serious characters were turned into fools that laughed maniacally at everything they said or did. I think Carrey would have been a great Joker but he wasn't known when the first Batman was made. TL Jones could have been a great Two Face if they would have had a darker script.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Shazam was pretty good

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@heathen75: "The problem with the movie is it was done in the same vein as the 60's Batman show. That's why both Two Face and Riddler who are normally dark and serious characters were turned into fools that laughed maniacally at everything they said or did."

That's a good point. Despite that, I thought it was still enjoyable at the time. What was your thoughts on Val Killer as Batman and Chris O'Donnell as Robin?

"I think Carrey would have been a great Joker but he wasn't known when the first Batman was made."

Wasn't he popular on "In Living Color"?

Also, wasn't Ace Ventura and The Mask successful?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Part of the issue with Shazam is the fact they were pushing so many early free screenings. I get the strategy of an advanced screening - it's meant to deliver the hype when the screenings build excitement, but it's also been proven that it is a bad strategy when they push for too much of these free screenings. That's what happened with Shazam. All the core DC fans are going to scramble to see a free screening and especially weeks in advance for such bragging rights - but when the actual movie comes out and you have just your typical moviegoers and fewer fans attending that truly sell the excitement; well, you're going to find many more quiet theaters.

Yeah, part of the issue is the movie is sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame, but there is no reason why it couldn't have gained much more in an otherwise dead week in between the two Marvel releases. Giving out so many free advanced screenings to DC fans drained the box office resources.

------

I'm really happy to be seeing Us with such a strong hold after these weeks. I can't stress it enough, but if you have not seen Us yet you NEED to. I can safely say it is easily one of the best films in theaters right now and I strongly suspect it will be one of the big standouts for a lot of people by the end of the year and on many favorite lists.

It's a film that's haunted my thoughts since I've seen it. It has significant impact on the mind and it likes to stay there. It's a very complex film and definitely one of those thinker pieces.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@PSP107 said:

@heathen75: "The problem with the movie is it was done in the same vein as the 60's Batman show. That's why both Two Face and Riddler who are normally dark and serious characters were turned into fools that laughed maniacally at everything they said or did."

That's a good point. Despite that, I thought it was still enjoyable at the time. What was your thoughts on Val Killer as Batman and Chris O'Donnell as Robin?

"I think Carrey would have been a great Joker but he wasn't known when the first Batman was made."

Wasn't he popular on "In Living Color"?

Also, wasn't Ace Ventura and The Mask successful?

For me, Kilmer is the worst Bruce Wayne/Batman out of all of the movies. How can you be billed as the lead in a movie, yet have no charisma whatsoever in the role? He was completely unremarkable in the movie. I still can't remember anything he did in that movie.

As for O'Donnell...

1. He was WAY to old to be playing Robin in either of those movies. It was just weird to see him hanging out in Wayne Manor wanting revenge for his family, trying to play a teenage--he was freaking 25! They couldn't find a teenage heartthrob in the '90s that was a real teenager?
  2. He was, but that first season of In Living Color didn't come out until about a year after that first Batman movie. Carey was the breakout star on that show. He was at least smart enough to stay on the show it out to the end instead of bailing on that final season.

And yes, the Mask and Ace Ventura were huge hits, but neither one of them hold up well after all these years.