Share food at a restaurant

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Do you believe in sharing food at a restaurant? Like if you eat there with your family and everyone is like: "OH TRY A BITE OF THIS!"

I hate it. keep your food to yourself. Your order, your food. Plus its embarrassing as hell.

you ot?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I don't mind.

I add it as part of the experience.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Do you believe in sharing food at a restaurant? Like if you eat there with your family and everyone is like: "OH TRY A BITE OF THIS!"

I hate it. keep your food to yourself. Your order, your food. Plus its embarrassing as hell.

you ot?

Explain to me the embarrassment in this?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14812 Posts

It's kind of annoying. I hate it when you decline and they insist on you trying it...waving their food in your face.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

We do it all the time among family members. Sometimes, the order is so big, it takes two people to finish it. My wife would order a meal and give 1/3 of it to our youngest kid.

I've never seen complete strangers offer to share their food with us........ever. What country is this where it occurs? I've been to many states in the US and I've never seen anyone wave their food at us.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheHighWind

@chaoscougar1 said:
@TheHighWind said:

you ot?

Explain to me the embarrassment in this?

You're in public. Wait staff and other patrons can see the circus going on at your table.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@TheHighWind: What circus?

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2384 Posts
Loading Video...

Joey speaks for me.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It really does depend.

Is it a resturant where it is a certain dish that's for the whole table, is it just a small taste from the one you're eating with who also has their own meal?

What I find irritating is if you go to eat, you all order except for one that isn't hungry and then the same person starts to ask others if they're gonna eat that and if they can have it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

i don't have a problem with people doing it. it's part of the social bonding experience of sharing a meal with other people.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Only on Facebook... they do too much of it. retarded IMO

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

I don't see it as an embarrassment. You go to a place, have a meal, trade some foods, and everyone is happy.

My family does it. My friends do it. Who cares. Besides, I love pork but that fried chicken over there looks good so, trade a piece?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I'm fine with it.

I know if it's a fancy place i shouldn't, but i hardly go there.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

What's wrong with politely declining?

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheHighWind

@thegerg said:

@TheHighWind:

You're a little full of yourself. The servers and other patrons don't give a shit about you sharing your food, and they hardly think it's a "circus."

Are you the guy who posted over and over about how he didn't like hearing his dad chew?

I don't have a problem with my dad chewing.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I don't understand why this would bother anyone. Sure, there's such a thing as personal boundaries but why would anyone ever be embarrassed by someone at their table offering them a bite of something?

-Byshop

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Yeah we do. We also do this on takeaways. One time though we got one and there where 6 of us and we all share but my uncle said no one having mine what I picked. So we all said OK but yu not having rest. While where still eating he was finished and hungry still but we still didn't give him anything. lol.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

you ot?

I know exactly what you mean. Except when it is at a Chinese restaurant, and it has the thing in the middle where the food can go around. Me and the fam always order lots of various boxes and the food spins around for us to grab some of each.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Restaurant_serving_turntable_restaurant_in_China,_1987.jpg

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44327 Posts

I don't have a problem with it myself, seems perfectly fine and natural to me. My family and friends do this sometimes. I doubt that anyone has ever looked at us oddly for doing that.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

I don't see it as an embarrassment. You go to a place, have a meal, trade some foods, and everyone is happy.

My family does it. My friends do it. Who cares. Besides, I love pork but that fried chicken over there looks good so, trade a piece?

Ditto! That piece of chicken you have always looks better than what I ordered.

edwise18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 edwise18
Member since 2008 • 1533 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

i don't have a problem with people doing it. it's part of the social bonding experience of sharing a meal with other people.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nope don't mind it..when its family or close friends. :P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

If it's family it's not a problem, but if it's just friends it's a little weird.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'm OK with having a plate of fries or something like that for the table to share, but that's about as far as I go.

I can't eat off anyone else plate, and hate when others try to eat off my plate, took me a while to be comfortable even doing that with my Mrs, and she is the ONLY person who i'll do that with. Oh, and even worse is when they offer it to me off the fork they've stuck in their mouths multiple times.

I also HATE when their is a sauce or dip that's for the table to share, and someone dip's fries or chicken into it, bites the dunked end and then re-dipps, bitten end first.

Their is one other exception, Pizza. I think it's because everyone has their own slices that it doesn't bother me like other food.

I'm the same with drinks, I can't share drinks, and if someone drinks out of mine, I'll just throw away what's left away. Also, people who drink straight out of the bottles for pop/milk, instead of pouring themselves a glass, need to be shot.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

Absolutely. My family and I are a bunch of foodies, and we love to share our experiences.

It's funny because people are either totally OK with it, or not OK with it at all. It is rumored that when Julia Child went out to eat with people, she had everyone order the same thing so no one would have to share.

With that said, sharing should be voluntary, and not expected. But in general I find it a good trait when people are both excited about food, and generous enough to share their experience with the people around them. There are exceptions, however; if you sit down with a huge group of people, sharing is not ideal because by the time you shared something you only have a fraction of what you ordered left to eat.

But yeah, I like to share and like it when people share. But I don't look down on people when they don't want to.

@spike6958 said:

I also HATE when their is a sauce or dip that's for the table to share, and someone dip's fries or chicken into it, bites the dunked end and then re-dipps, bitten end first.

It has been proven that "double dipping" leads to no significant increase in risk of disease. Youre actually more likely to get sick standing next to a person than sharing a communal bowl of dip/sauce/etc with them, so if we are being logical about it, you shouldn't be in the same room with people if your concern is disease.

But I suppose I can understand if people are OCD/germiphobes and even the idea (realistic or not) of someone's trace amounts of saliva getting into the dip upset them.

I do get a bit offended when we are sitting around passing a pipe or bong and people take their lighter to "sterilize" the mouthpiece. It's just rude; what, you're too good to swap a bit of saliva? Do I look sick, contagious, unhealthy? Get over yourself; the sharing of saliva/skin flakes/etc is how you build up immunity. The harder you fight infection, the more prone you are to getting infected. You want to be like the Quarians in Mass Effect?! GET OUT THERE AND ROLL AROUND IN THE DIRT! Herd immunity, and so forth

/end rant

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I don't really mind to be honest.

We went for an Indian meal last night at our local Indian Restaurant. She won't share my vindaloo and she says it burns her anus!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

I only do that when I eat out with my GF.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

My fiance and I share all the time. Often we want to try more than one thing on the menu, so we both order different things and share both dishes. I'm not sure why this would bother anyone.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@fenriz275 said:
Loading Video...

Joey speaks for me.

Thats is man, you got it. Joey knows the deal. Order whatever you want, just don't touch my plate, lol .. It all changes when you have kids though, they always want stuff from your plate, lol ..

dbzee_cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dbzee_cool
Member since 2003 • 277 Posts

Don't mind at all, don't care either at what others would be thinking.. It adds to the experience and it's kinda fun. You sound like a teen

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Just lick your food when your plate arrives.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

I guess your talking as a western here? I am have been to countries in Asia, Japan being one of them, where you suppose to share food and drinks. You're mostly an anti-social dickhead if you don't. You maybe know of Tapas? Food that you are suppose to share with people are your table?

I don't mind sharing food with wife, family or friends

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18801 Posts

@kaealy: "I don't mind sharing food with wife, family or friends"

Is there a limit?

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Usually they pick some of my food and I do the same to them without saying anything but that's only among my family.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Myself and my girlfriend often buy meals with the intention of sharing a fair amount of it. My girlfriend loves to have a chicken pot pie at our local pub but simply cannot eat it all. She gets to eat as much as she wants, I get my meal plus whats left of hers and no food gets wasted everybody wins. Likewise she will steal the corn on the cob from my plate because I believe it to be the spawn of Lucifer.

Edit - I also enjoy the cliche spoon feeding dessert into my girlfriends mouth. I find it pretty attractive. I guess there is a reason the cliche came to be.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

try to take my food and watch what happens next

besides i eat it all in like a minute or 2 tops