Sex vs finances, which would you rather discuss with a stranger?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Sex vs finances, which would you rather discuss with a stranger? (18 votes)

Sex 39%
Finances 61%

To be clear this is your pesonal financial situation, how much you have, how much you make, how much you save etc VS. what types of positions you like, who you're into, what aspects you're into, stuff like that.

Which would you rather discuss with someone you don't really know?

I'm personally interested to see what people feel is the more taboo subject.

• 
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#1 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Neither

A stranger does not need to know either.

The only one i would discuss either with is my partner.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

I'm not discussing this with you.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Neither

This!

Only you and your partner should be discussion this only.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Finances if I had to choose. Then again sex is an off limits topic for me because I'm ashamed not to have done it...

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I would prefer to have the extreme self confidence to select Sex as my answer but I do not. so money it is

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I am willing to discuss finances in broad strokes with strangers should they be interested in my particular field.

-Byshop

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Byshop: "in broad strokes"

Nope, has to be personal and specific. In this hypothetical the only bad thing to come from this conversation is your own discomfort.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
@davillain- said:
@Jacanuk said:

Neither

This!

I guess the better way of asking this question is which would make you more uncomfortable?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@davillain- said:
@Jacanuk said:

Neither

This!

I guess the better way of asking this question is which would make you more uncomfortable?

Hmm, both would make me uncomfortable since i am an extremely private person but if you took a gun to my head and said pick one, I would pick Finances since that have a bigger chance of causing jealously.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:

Nope, has to be personal and specific. In this hypothetical the only bad thing to come from this conversation is your own discomfort.

Fair enough. I'd still take finances. Although I find it distasteful, I have on occasion told people my salary when they really pressed. I don't have a fundamental problem with sharing that information. Having a better understanding of what people make (like your co-workers) is something that employers discourage because if gives you more power when negotiating your salary. It's more a question of I have a problem with -why- people usually choose to share that kind of information (i.e. bragging or complaining).

-Byshop

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105

@Byshop said:
@Serraph105 said:

Fair enough. I'd still take finances. Although I find it distasteful, I have on occasion told people my salary when they really pressed. I don't have a fundamental problem with sharing that information. Having a better understanding of what people make (like your co-workers) is something that employers discourage because if gives you more power when negotiating your salary. It's more a question of I have a problem with -why- people usually choose to share that kind of information (i.e. bragging or complaining).

-Byshop

Yeah, I feel that.

I think a lot of people would be uncomfortable with the discussion because it can make others feel uncomfortable, or even that they don't like having a numerical display of what they may percieve as their own failures.

My little revelation as of recently is that people keep those so called failures not only from others, but also from themselves in a way. This keeps them from learning from those mistakes and that only has the potential to hurt themselves in the future and it's to other people's benefit for them to make those mistakes all over again.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

@Serraph105 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Yeah, I feel that.

I think a lot of people would be uncomfortable with the discussion because it can make others feel uncomfortable, or even that they don't like having a numerical display of what they may percieve as their own failures.

My little revelation as of recently is that people keep those so called failures not only from others, but also from themselves in a way. This keeps them from learning from those mistakes and that only has the potential to hurt themselves in the future and it's to other people's benefit for them to make those mistakes all over again.

Yeah, I recently got into a discussion with someone I know. He works in tech as a developer and has his own business, but he doesn't make a ton of money and he lives with his parents. He was looking to get a job with a decent salary and he asked me for advice a few times. Each time I tried to explain what he needed to do in order to make more money, he'd argue the point with me and basically insist that he knew better and that he had a lot of worth because of his skills. I kept trying to explain the differences between doing small potatoes IT work and doing it on a larger, corporate scale but he just didn't want to listen. I was happy to provide advice since he asked, but I wasn't interested in debating it with him. He kept expecting me to convince him the advice I was giving him was right, which was both frustrating and annoying since he asked my advice in the first place because there was a pretty obvious difference in the level of success we have each had in our respective careers.

I was really tempted to say something along the lines of "Dude, you asked me for my advice. If you think you know better then by all means, go do better but I make -literally- ten times what you make so just -maybe- there's a change I know WTF I'm talking about!" but I restrained myself and just excused myself from the conversation before I got any more aggravated. Had I been that blunt, I might have actually gotten through to him to get him to listen to the advice but there was no way for me to do that without being somewhat of an asshole, and a desire to help didn't excuse that behavior for me in that situation. Besides that, if I told him that information, then it could have become common knowledge among the group of friends I have who hang out at that bar. Nobody I know in that circle makes anywhere close to what I make, and I would prefer not to rub that in anyone's face. They already have somewhat of an idea because the car I drive is a bit on the pricey side, but that's not the same as knowing someone's actual take-home.

As for sex, I've been married for 8 years. I've had a few partners before my wife but the majority of the sex I've had in my life has been with my wife by a pretty significant margin. It's one thing to be the single guy in a group regaling the married guys with stories of your weekend escapades or describing an anecdote involving an ex-girlfriend but it's another thing when you're describing the details of something that took place between you and your wife.

-Byshop

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I love to brag about my house being paid off, my cars paid off and rolling $8000 in my checking account. That said I don't mind talking about sex either. I get laid plenty and have had my share of women with pics to boot so I can talk about either with whoever is interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Neither because my life is sad and pathetic it's amazing that I'm still alive to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

American Captives: serving the almighty god dollar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5c2e78cbd8d85
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts

Both of those areas in my life are equally depressing so I don't care.

Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

I have six figures to brag about financially.

But I'm not very attractive, and though I'm not inexperienced sexually, there's not much to brag about there as far as I know.

So, money. Too bad neither aspect is contributing to my happiness at this point in life.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Neither; too much of a gentleman to discuss sex with strangers, and my finances are nunya beezness.

As Dave Chappelle says, stop asking me all these personal questions.

Loading Video...

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Byshop said:

I am willing to discuss finances in broad strokes with strangers should they be interested in my particular field.

-Byshop

Finances in Broad Strokes....should they be interested

I can't tell which topic you really want to discuss.

roidphysx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 roidphysx
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

Objective answer: Sex

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Probably sex. I have zero sense of propriety.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Well I get paid and get laid in equal measure, AKA very little.

So to summarise, whatever...

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Honestly, I'm super open about sex. For me it's such a beautiful thing, hell I'm a manwhore. I think I fill the whole "Why are gays so promiscuous" stereotype. But strangers... don't think random people would be interested in that. They might think I'm a creep. So finances.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Finances. I'm a prude pervert.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I have sex every Tuesday. It's has become a habit and could be called OCD. I have to do it or something bad will happen.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

I am fine with both.

I am on welfare but I get laid almost whenever I want because the females in my city are easy LOL

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts
@SUD123456 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

"broad strokes"

so both then....

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator

@SUD123456 said:

@comp_atkins said:

"broad strokes"

so both then....

Wakka, wakka, wakka.

@pimphand_gamer said:

I love to brag about my house being paid off, my cars paid off and rolling $8000 in my checking account. That said I don't mind talking about sex either. I get laid plenty and have had my share of women with pics to boot so I can talk about either with whoever is interested.

As opposed to vampires who don't show up on film?

-Byshop

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@mandzilla said:

Ouch, dude, condolences.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@theone86 said:
@mandzilla said:

Ouch, dude, condolences.

C'est la vie.