Serious question. What happened to Crowds like this? (WWF/E related)

Evil_Loli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Evil_Loli
Member since 2018 • 232 Posts

My brother and me were watching old school WWF, we both notice something, the crowds in this vid were really loud and hype but as we notice nowadays in current WWE, we don't hear the crowds as loud as this in the video. Did everyone lost interest chanting and getting hype or am I'm missing something?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3218 Posts

@evil_loli said:
Loading Video...

My brother and me were watching old school WWF, we both notice something, the crowds in this vid were really loud and hype but as we notice nowadays in current WWE, we don't hear the crowds as loud as this in the video. Did everyone lost interest chanting and getting hype or am I'm missing something?

Wrestling was cool back then there was characters you actually cared about and storylines that kept you hooked. It's not like the soulless weak product that is today. Also if you think that crowd was crazy check this out look at all the signs!!! this was the wrestling boom era they where basically rockstars at this point.

Loading Video...

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DaVillain-
Member since 2014 • 38584 Posts

Like Good old JR said, this crowd is JACKED! But not anymore and because. I know this is going to be a cop-out answer to this but, Cellphones happened and killed the crowds after 2005. Also, lack of willing suspension of disbelief in the moment which isn’t helped by the workers not being very good at creating it among the audience either.

@warmblur said:
@evil_loli said:

Wrestling was cool back then there was characters you actually cared about and storylines that kept you hooked. It's not like the soulless weak product that is today. Also if you think that crowd was crazy check this out look at all the signs!!! this was the wrestling boom era they where basically rockstars at this point.

You pretty much nailed it warmblur. There wasn't anything like it while growing up in the late 90's, WWF had actual characters that we all love and care. People are lazy these days, cheering only gets the wrestler over they do chants to get themselves over so greed and lazyness have a lot to do with it. I'm convinced that WWE pumps some kind of sedative into the air in these arenas throughout the show. Other then cellphones, I just can't think of any other explanation for why these crowds look so damn bored and docile.

Looking at those vids, I really miss Stone Cold vs The Rock moments and if you look at the mayhem, it's crowds like this was worth the watch. Even Wrestlemania today's standards can't get the crowd JACKED! I was one of those people, waiting for RAW/Smackdown to come on because I was JACKED and ready for action. Not anymore I'm not :(

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warmblur

@davillain- said:

Like Good old JR said, this crowd is JACKED! But not anymore and because. I know this is going to be a cop-out answer to this but, Cellphones happened and killed the crowds after 2005. Also, lack of willing suspension of disbelief in the moment which isn’t helped by the workers not being very good at creating it among the audience either.

@warmblur said:
@evil_loli said:

You pretty much nailed it warmblur. There wasn't anything like it while growing up in the late 90's, WWF had actual characters that we all love and care. People are lazy these days, cheering only gets the wrestler over they do chants to get themselves over so greed and lazyness have a lot to do with it. I'm convinced that WWE pumps some kind of sedative into the air in these arenas throughout the show. Other then cellphones, I just can't think of any other explanation for why these crowds look so damn bored and docile.

Looking at those vids, I really miss Stone Cold vs The Rock moments and if you look at the mayhem, it's crowds like this was worth the watch. Even Wrestlemania today's standards can't get the crowd JACKED! I was one of those people, waiting for RAW/Smackdown to come on because I was JACKED and ready for action. Not anymore I'm not :(

I agree the rise of smart phones, internet, and social media is a huge part of why the business sucks these days it destroyed trying to suspend your disbelief completely. Especially when you see tweets of heel wrestlers hanging out with the babyfaces. Also the wrestlers these days are boring they do their high spots to try to get over. There really isn't anymore stars these days that's why they always keep bringing back the legends to try and boost the ratings.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 5455 Posts

A combination of smart marks, a watered down/homogenized product, and lack of appealing talent.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 10739 Posts

Dwayne Johnson seem to be better professional wrestler than actor.

also wrestling was peak at late 90s. now no one cares anymore.

@davillain- said:

The day they change from WWF to WWE, Rock and Stone cold left. wrestling died.

and now its just some kids show no one watch or care. im surprise it still exist.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5208 Posts

vkm is ruining the WWE brand by being his usual self who changes the script at the 23rd hour and pushes legitimately bad talent. The players are not interesting these days.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35539 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

@davillain- said:

and now its just some kids show no one watch or care. im surprise it still exist.

I would argue it was the Undertaker as he literally represented the old guard. He's still around, pointlessly.

Loading Video...

The dude in this video makes a really superb point about how it's real-time narrative.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 10739 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

@davillain- said:

I would argue it was the Undertaker as he literally represented the old guard. He's still around, pointlessly.

Loading Video...

The dude in this video makes a really superb point about how it's real-time narrative.

Loading Video...

This was best undertaker, actually feel like some horror movie.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17561 Posts

@ghosts4ever: "Dwayne Johnson seem to be better professional wrestler than actor."

lol, can you elaborate on that?

"The day they change from WWF to WWE, Rock and Stone cold left. wrestling died."

That and the 1st brand split

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow

WCW going defunct was the writing on the wall because shortly there after the WWE became very lazy with the writing.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warmblur

@Solaryellow said:

WCW going defunct was the writing on the wall because shortly there after the WWE became very lazy with the writing.

Yep, when the competition died so did WWE in a way they got lazy like you this said. I really hope AEW can light a fire under their ass but who knows AEW might bomb. I hope not but I really want wrestling to get good again. But I don't think it will ever reach the heights of what it use to be. There's no must see wrestlers anymore or good storylines.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79422 Posts

l still watch the pay per views when they come out on DVD because that's where all the grandiose moments are. The last time I actually watched Smackdown, though, I was bored to tears. But yeah, Stone Cold vs The Rock was the golden era. That's when it was at its best. Remember when Stone Cole kicked the shit out of Booker T. in a grocery story?

"Price check on jackass!"

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warmblur

@JustPlainLucas said:

l still watch the pay per views when they come out on DVD because that's where all the grandiose moments are. The last time I actually watched Smackdown, though, I was bored to tears. But yeah, Stone Cold vs The Rock was the golden era. That's when it was at its best. Remember when Stone Cole kicked the shit out of Booker T. in a grocery story?

Loading Video...

Those where the days 96- 2001 was the best WWE peaked at WM17 and then botched the alliance angle. The ruthless aggression era was pretty good though but for me Cena ruined it. 2005 was when the downfall really got started Christian, Dudley Boys left for TNA, Eddie Guerrero died and WWE ruining the Muhammad Hassan angle. The next year would be really bad too Kurt Angle left and the hokey gimmicks of the spirit squad and hornswaggle etc...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solaryellow

The old cliche about not knowing what you've got until its gone holds true especially when speaking of modern day wrestling. Years back as a child out this way we had an abundance of the WWF because Superstars was syndicated on the weekends and you occasionally had SNME on NBC. Even the George Michaels Sports Machine (late Sunday night/early Monday morning) sometimes mentioned the WWF. Even house shows were all WWF. Once cable became much more mainstream, we had even more WWF with TNT and a Sunday program at noon both on USA I believe. Until WTBS was available with the NWA/WCW and ESPN starting airing WCCW and the AWA in the mid 80's, the only way we found out about wrestling beyond CT was thanks to magazines. What am I getting at with my first sentence? Well, once we were able to see it, southern wrestling was so much better than its northern counterpart. Even the northwest and Canadian territories were bounds ahead of the WWF in terms of wrestling ability. Connecticut focused on flash and appearance while everyone else prioritized talent with the flash being a secondary priority.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35539 Posts
@JustPlainLucas said:

Loading Video...

The pre-fight hammy sketches were amazing.

Watching the WWF rip off Gladiator and have Maxmimus Stonyous take down Commodus Mcmahon was always the highlight of the week as a kid.

Now when I watch it, it's pretty much "who are these people?", and never feel invested enough to give a shit.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 396 Posts

Haven't watched wrestling in ages but I remember NXT being really good with hype crowds pretty much all the time. Writing for the main shows just seems a bit boring. Nobody seems to get to excel for any period of time and it's a revolving door of stardom. Fan favourites get buried in favour of the backstage golden boy no one really cares about. That's what eventually led me to stop watching it altogether.