• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

So I'm being nice and offering a neighbor a ride about an hour ago since her car is in the shop. We get in, I buckle up, and wait for her to.

She doesn't.

So I tell her, "You'll need to buckle up."

She then goes on a rant about how her uncle was in a car wreck and 'they' said he would have died if he had been wearing his seatbelt, this that and the other thing.

So once she finishes, I'm like "you'll need to buckle up."

So then she huffs and puffs and buckles up, but then takes off the shoulder strap and puts it behind her.

"Properly," I said, at which point I get another long rant about personal freedom and decisions.

I still haven't started the car, so we just sit there in silence for a minute before she finally huffs "fine" and does herself up properly. Then off we go.

Seriously, everyone I know who doesn't wear seatbelts has the same story about an uncle or a cousin (never someone I have met) who 'they' said would have died had they been wearing a seatbelt. It's old, tired and stupid.

Most of the road fatalities I read about usually mentions "seatbelts were not in use". Is it so damn hard to understand basic laws of physics?

Seriously.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Always when driving or in the passenger seat. Less in the back seat. And that woman was being silly. Your kindness, your car, your rules.
CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#3 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

I honestly think people who don't buckle up are just asking for it. I've never driven on the road without buckling up, being a passenger or a driver.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 br0kenrabbit

Always when driving or in the passenger seat. Less in the back seat. And that woman was being silly. Your kindness, your car, your rules.MrPraline

If you don't buckle up in the back seat, you're a danger to those in front of you. Throw a person at the back of another persons head at sufficient speed, and it's not going to be pretty.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

I always wear mine and anyone in my car is required to wear theirs. However, I don't think it should be illegal to not wear one. If you want to take the risk, you should be allowed.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

I always wear it when I'm driving or in the front passenger's seat, but not always when I'm in the back seat.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 br0kenrabbit

I always wear mine and anyone in my car is required to wear theirs. However, I don't think it should be illegal to not wear one. If you want to take the risk, you should be allowed.

WiiRocks66

A body flying about in a rolling car is a danger to everyone in the car.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]Always when driving or in the passenger seat. Less in the back seat. And that woman was being silly. Your kindness, your car, your rules.br0kenrabbit

If you don't buckle up in the back seat, you're a danger to those in front of you. Throw a person at the back of another persons head at sufficient speed, and it's not going to be pretty.

Mm, makes sense. Never really thought about that and not very often in the back seat at all. But good call.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 br0kenrabbit

Mm, makes sense. Never really thought about that and not very often in the back seat at all. But good call.MrPraline

I knew a guy in high school who was in the back seat when some arse ran a red light and his mom (the driver) T-boned him. She was wearing a seatbelt, he wasn't, and he ended up breaking her neck as he flew over the seat and into the dashboard.

They both recovered but it's a lesson I'll never forget.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

1: first off your car. your rules. SO sounds like she don't want a ride...

2: seatbeats and pro's in cons.

anyways i wear mine not because of car crashes. I wear mine because the way i drive. I drive fast which i tend to take turns fast. IF i don't wear seatbelt i can slide too much

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I think seatbelts are pointsless in older vechiles. Example. Why do I need to wear my seat belt in my 1967 Dodge Polara? If I get in a car accident the dash board is going into my chest, and there's no surviving that. Personally I always wear my seat belt for safety reasons. I would of tolf that b*tch to put here seatbelt on because I'm not getting a ticket for her negligence.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 br0kenrabbit

I drive which i tend to take turns fast. IF i don't wear seatbelt i can slide too much

k2theswiss

That's....about as dumb as not wearing a seatbelt. If you fish-tail you may not regain control in time to prevent an accident.

And that also means you're probably speeding, which is dumb in and of itself.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 br0kenrabbit

If I get in a car accident the dash board is going into my chest, and there's no surviving that. Fightingfan

Collisions don't always happen from the front.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Mm, makes sense. Never really thought about that and not very often in the back seat at all. But good call.br0kenrabbit

I knew a guy in high school who was in the back seat when some arse ran a red light and his mom (the driver) T-boned him. She was wearing a seatbelt, he wasn't, and he ended up breaking her neck as he flew over the seat and into the dashboard.

Christ, that's heavy.
Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
should've stopped short
ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ROFLCOPTER603
Member since 2010 • 2140 Posts

As of my vote 8 out of 8 voted yes. Thank god. I live in a state with relaxed laws and there are so many people that just refuse to wear seatbelts. Same with helmets. Luckily none of my friends are that way but it's just stupid to not wear one. Seatbelts aren't even uncomfortable. I feel weird without one on.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

One word: Always.

Pertains to self anywhere and any passengers in any vehicle I am driving.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]If I get in a car accident the dash board is going into my chest, and there's no surviving that. br0kenrabbit

Collisions don't always happen from the front.

A car from the 60s has no crumble zone. Regardless how I get hit I'm either going to the E.R, or dying.

*I don't wear the seabelt in the polora at times, but it's not like I'd get a ticket since the seatbelt is a waist hugger type thing.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]I drive which i tend to take turns fast. IF i don't wear seatbelt i can slide too much

br0kenrabbit

That's....about as dumb as not wearing a seatbelt. If you fish-tail you may not regain control in time to prevent an accident.

GrI0m2.gif

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]I drive which i tend to take turns fast. IF i don't wear seatbelt i can slide too much

k2theswiss

GrI0m2.gif

u do not understand how that meme is supposed to work

ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ROFLCOPTER603

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

coolbeans90

GrI0m2.gif

Going the speed limit? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'd say he has it down.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

coolbeans90

GrI0m2.gif

i know i know.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts
Always.....
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

GrI0m2.gif

ROFLCOPTER603

I'd say he has it down.

o

didn't contextualize, cuz that does work

is often used as 'tl;dr'

nice sig

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

I always wear a seatbelt because I don't feel comfortable in a car without one. Even if it's parked.

But I don't care so much if the people I'm in the car with choose not to wear a seatbelt. Sure, it is potentially a stupid self harming choice, but I'm in no place to judge on making choices that are potentially harmful to oneself.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Always. I've been in a couple of crashes both of which I was unharmed due to my seatbelt. People who don't are just idiots.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

So I'm being nice and offering a neighbor a ride about an hour ago since her car is in the shop. We get in, I buckle up, and wait for her to.

She doesn't.

She then goes on a rant about how her uncle was in a car wreck and 'they' said he would have died if he had been wearing his seatbelt, this that and the other thing.

So then she huffs and puffs and buckles up, but then takes off the shoulder strap and puts it behind her.

"Properly," I said, at which point I get another long rant about personal freedom and decisions.

I still haven't started the car, so we just sit there in silence for a minute before she finally huffs "fine" and does herself up properly. Then off we go.

Seriously, everyone I know who doesn't wear seatbelts has the same story about an uncle or a cousin (never someone I have met) who 'they' said would have died had they been wearing a seatbelt. It's old, tired and stupid.

Most of the road fatalities I read about usually mentions "seatbelts were not in use". Is it so damn hard to understand basic laws of physics?

Seriously.

br0kenrabbit

Shaddap

Safety nazis

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

GrI0m2.gif

ROFLCOPTER603

I'd say he has it down.

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

She probably made you change the radio station too. I hate that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Mm, makes sense. Never really thought about that and not very often in the back seat at all. But good call.MrPraline

Christ, that's heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Qhmdk4VNs

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 br0kenrabbit

I'd say he has it down.

ROFLCOPTER603

The speed limit is not an arbitrary number, it's an engineering decision taking into account the type of asphalt, the grade of the road, the run of the road (straight, curvy, blind hill, etc.), traffic and intersection data.

If you're speeding and someone else hits you, you can still be assigned some fault.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 br0kenrabbit

jimkabrhel

I don't use the radio in my car. I like to pay attention to what's going on around me since so many people are IDIOTS behind the wheel.

ROFLCOPTER603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ROFLCOPTER603

[QUOTE="ROFLCOPTER603"]

I'd say he has it down.

br0kenrabbit

The speed limit is an arbitrary number, it's an engineering decision taking into account the type of asphalt, the grade of the road, the run of the road (straight, curvy, blind hill, etc.), traffic and intersection data.

If you're speeding and someone else hits you, you can still be assigned some fault.

It certainly has some uses. I know that if there were no speed limits there would be people going 80 down residential roads. But certainly there are roads that could use higher limits. There's this major route near where I live where the speed limit is 30... It's completely straight and wide open. It's even 45 for a stretch of 50 feet for whatever reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

br0kenrabbit

I don't use the radio in my car. I like to pay attention to what's going on around me since so many people are IDIOTS behind the wheel.

What about idiots sitting next to you in the car? :)

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#36 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

She doesn't.

Seriously.

br0kenrabbit

I have a friend who refuses to wear seatbelt, not even because he says it's safer without it, he just provides no reason at all, the guy is driving, and I tell him "dude, buckle up" and he says "no, I dont wear a seatbelt".

I go "buckle up I said, it takes no effort"

and he just ignores me, he said something that he isn't afraid to die or something like that, OK cool maybe if he was in some war or doing something heroic, i'd appreciate that comment, but saying that you wont wear a seatbelt because "you aint afraid to die" is just dumb, the "im not afraid to die" card is supposed to be played before doing something that will help other people but might get you killed, not when there is absolutely no reason to be safe.

Also I have a friend who is a paramedic who told me that the "would have died with a seatbelt" thing is BS, he explained the exact reason to me, but I dont remember.

I always buckle up, and everyone should.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 br0kenrabbit

It certainly has some uses. I know that if there were no speed limits there would be people going 80 down residential roads. But certainly there are roads that could use higher limits. There's this major route near where I live where the speed limit is 30... It's completely straight and wide open. It's even 45 for a stretch of 50 feet for whatever reason.

ROFLCOPTER603

People with a lot more engineering experience than you made that decision.

Would you over-ride your doctor if he told you that you needed a specific surgery? Of course not, you expect your doctor knows more about such things than you. Same thing here: you don't have the specifics, just the superficial data.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lightleggy

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

br0kenrabbit

Everytime I see someone driving with earbuds, I just feel like ramming their car and then telling them "I tried to warn you to move, you didnt do anything!". That kind of things can cost people's lives.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrPraline

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

She doesn't.

Seriously.

lightleggy

I have a friend who refuses to wear seatbelt, not even because he says it's safer without it, he just provides no reason at all, the guy is driving, and I tell him "dude, buckle up" and he says "no, I dont wear a seatbelt".

and he just ignores me, he said something that he isn't afraid to die or something like that, OK cool maybe if he was in some war or doing something heroic, i'd appreciate that comment, but saying that you wont wear a seatbelt because "you aint afraid to die" is just dumb, the "im not afraid to die" card is supposed to be played before doing something that will help other people but might get you killed, not when there is absolutely no reason to be safe.

Also I have a friend who is a paramedic who told me that the "would have died with a seatbelt" thing is BS, he explained the exact reason to me, but I dont remember.

Yeah. I'm not afraid to die either, or care much about life, but not wearing a belt is dangerous also to other drivers and the people in my car. Driver should always wear 1.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

lightleggy

Everytime I see someone driving with earbuds, I just feel like ramming their car and then telling them "I tried to warn you to move, you didnt do anything!". That kind of things can cost people's lives.

Have you ever attempted to ram into them as a lesson?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 br0kenrabbit

lightleggy

Reminds me of this.

Derek Kieper was a smart, funny, intense young man who relished a good debate and would do anything for his friends.

Kieper, a 21-year-old senior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, died early Tuesday morning when the Ford Explorer he was a passenger in travelled off an icy section of Interstate 80 and rolled several times in a ditch. Kieper, who was riding in the back seat of the Explorer, was ejected from the vehicle.

Two others in the vehicle, including the driver, Luke Havermann of Ogallala, and the front-seat passenger,Nick Uphoff of Randolph Air Force Base in Texas, sustained non-life threatening injuries.

In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
I have never seen such an unanimous poll.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lightleggy
[QUOTE="lightleggy"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

She doesn't.

Seriously.

MrPraline

Yeah. I'm not afraid to die either, or care much about life, but not wearing a belt is dangerous also to other drivers and the people in my car. Driver should always wear 1.

Yeah risking your life for something so dumb is just...dumb
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Yes, I always wear seatbelts, except when I lay down on the back seats in the car to snooze. :P
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lightleggy
[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

dave123321

Have you ever attempted to ram into them as a lesson?

I havent done it on purpose, but there was this time I was driving on the freeway, and a girl on the other lane, she had to yield, but she skipped it, she was wearing earbuds and hitting the wheel as if it were a drum, I shouted and hit the horn like 3 times, had to do some Toretto sh*t to dodge her, and the girl never realized until I almost rammed her.
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Better safe than sorry.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

FrostyPhantasm

Christ, that's heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Qhmdk4VNs

awww how cute!

anyways true SH1T

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Better safe than sorry.

Legend002
Agreed, the world of driving (especially highways, at least imo) can be pretty unpredictable at times.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Always wear them b/c I'm not an idiot.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

My car starts a loud annoying beep if I don't use the seatbelt, so even if I didn't want to use it (which I do) I'm kinda forced to use it.