Scalper buys $650 The Interview tickets now wants refund

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I just thought this was funny.

An Ohio man thought he was being clever by buying up a block of tickets for the infamous movie. Then Sony decided to put it online.

Entrepreneurs are the most venerated people on our Earth.

They create profit, jobs and admiring glances from people who just want to be intimate with their entrepreneurship.

Sometimes, though, the good ship Entrepreneur runs aground.

Take Jason Best. He's not best pleased. He heard that there would be only one theater in his region showing the great dramatic work known as "The Interview."

Surely, he reasoned, hordes of Ohio's freedom fighters would flock to see the movie starring James Franco and Seth Rogen and the exploding head of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. So he bought $650 worth of tickets, with profit the motive.

"I saw all the hype about 'The Interview' on the 23rd and I thought, 'Hey, folks are selling these tickets in other cities. It seems like that's the thing to do right now and why not give it a shot?'"

His business instincts might seem a touch breezy to some. I'm not sure "that's the thing to do right now" is a thought that inspires too many successful businesspeople.

Suddenly, a spanner was tossed into his entrepreneurial works. Sony also decided to release the movie online. Which means that the freedom fighting hordes could watch it in the glory of their Christmas Day pajamas.

Best had paid $13 each for 50 tickets. Online, you could rent the movie for $6. Perhaps Best then thought to himself: "WWPTD?" Yes, What Would Peter Thiel Do?

So he went and asked for a refund. The response was as positive as the movie's reviews in the Pyongyang Post.

Best, then, stopped the charge on his credit card. Now we're in difficult emotional and legal territory. The theater company's president, Gary Goldman, told WCPO that he doesn't consider Best a customer. Instead, he sees him as an entrepreneur just trying to make his profit explode.

Best countered that the tickets clearly say that they're refundable up to 30 minutes prior to showtime. Then there were intimations from the theater management that "The Interview" wasn't a movie, but a special event. Special events don't qualify for refunds. Best said that's the first he's heard.

Goldman told WCPO he's prepared to donate the $650 to charity. Best countered that he's prepared to donate only $100 of the money to a good cause.

With my head expanding involuntarily at these plot twists, I contacted the theater management to ask whether the tickets were actually refundable and whether it's prepared to push this dispute to the legal limits. I will update, should I hear.

One does wonder, though, whether Best tried to mitigate his losses by at least trying to sell some of the tickets, even if at a discount. There were surely some people, as there were in many cities, who wanted to experience the movie in larger format and in solidarity with their comrades.

In the world of scalping, though, there are good days and bad. Sometimes, you can wander near a theater or a stadium and discover that the market has spoken. Fewer people than expected might have wanted to see Kanye West in concert with Josh Groban at your local Roxy.

Scalpers might be offering tickets at below face value, just to get rid of them. They accept it as part of their business. (Although you never quite know whether the tickets are real.)

Best says his credit card company told him he's in the right. But might a compromise be reached here? Might the movie's creators get involved to support an enterprising attitude?

Rogen and Franco could offer Best a tiny part in their next movie. Perhaps he could be a body double in one of their legendary unclothed scenes.

After all, doubling is every entrepreneur's dream.

Link to original article, courtesy of cnet.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

This whole Interview movie ordeal feels much too topsy-turvey.

And 650 dollars for tickets? Ouch, no way I'd ever spend that much in tickets.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

Best, then, stopped the charge on his credit card.

@Allicrombie said:

Best says his credit card company told him he's in the right.

So has him been charged already? If not, then let the theater bring that lawsuit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL what a moron. **** scalpers

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Dude is a moron. Theater doesn't do refunds for Special Events, says it on the site he purchased the tickets on. Why he would then think it smart to bitch and complain on TV about how he wants a refund on the tickets he intended to scalp anyway is beyond me.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@Master_Live said:

@Allicrombie said:

Best, then, stopped the charge on his credit card.

@Allicrombie said:

Best says his credit card company told him he's in the right.

So has him been charged already? If not, then let the theater bring that lawsuit.

I'd assume if he stopped the charge and disputed it with the credit card company, then he wouldn't have to pay, except he's still asking for a refund, meaning he already had the charge accepted and the payment accepted.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

**** scalpers I hope he ends up having to pay for them

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Deal with it

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

How is releasing The Interview in theaters considered a special event?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

This article is hilarious, he should have to pay ! I hate Scalpers.

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts

While the guy sounds like a total loser if the tickets say they can be returned for a refund 30 minutes before the movie than the theater is in the wrong. The theater may be trying to say it's a special event so he can't, but if that wasn't clearly noted than the theater would obviously lose in court.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

LOL what a moron. **** scalpers