Saw 2 spiders literally the size of a quarter...

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danyopizzle
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

They were both the size of quarters, chillin on my door on my way out, I could not pass till someone killed them, thank god they dead. I live on the west coast, I don't understand how spiders are so big this year, ive never ever ever in all my life seen spiders this size! its America not Australia! wth is going on? If your wondering how I survived, my gf's brother had to kill them since he was in Iraq and has seen camel spiders, and if your wondering what those are, they are basically the biggest spiders in the world.

FYI when I say a quarter, I mean a solid size, not just the legs, but the body and legs, in fact the legs were thicker than normal to compensate for there body size, it was disgusting, I don't know what there eating this year but its crazy.

Anyone else noticing a rise in spider sizes in your area?

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By danyopizzle

wow sorry for the double post! my bad! why cant we delete our posts! ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Just send a message to the mods and ask them to delete your other thread. You can see the "contact the moderators" on the right side under the list of GS boards =)

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 danyopizzle

@korvus:

thank you!

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

I have some HUGE ones this year - and I live in the midwest. Never saw webs that big - and one spider was about the size of a 50 cent piece! There's 3 of them living in my front yard bushes. I've named them Larry, Moe and Curly. I figure I leave them alone and let them get on with their work - eating bugs. They'll die off this winter anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@danyopizzle: No problem. Happy to help =)

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 danyopizzle

@Detroit222: wow and that's what I mean man, maybe the bugs the spiders are eating eat at mcdonalds, who the F knows

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#8 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3673 Posts

done :)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

woah. that's pretty cool. Where do you live? in the woods?

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danyopizzle

@pyro1245: No I live in a quite neighborhood next to "downtown" but near a park

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pyro1245

@danyopizzle said:

@pyro1245: No I live in a quite neighborhood next to "downtown" but near a park

crazy. I used to get lots of big spiders when I lived in the mountains.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 danyopizzle

@pyro1245: when you mentioned that it made me think that the climate here has really changed, maybe this has made them move around, or something is making them run from the mountains? im just baffled by there sizes, I have arachnophobia, and never in my life has a spider terrified me more to the point of feeling traumatized

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pyro1245

@danyopizzle:

well if it makes you feel better spiders usually aren't concerned with humans. They just want to eat bugs.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 danyopizzle

@pyro1245: well thank you, that is true

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@danyopizzle

How in this day in age you didn't take a picture?

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 danyopizzle

@PSP107 said:

@danyopizzle

when I saw them I naturally ran to the nuclear bomb shelter that locks itself until I solve the rubik's cube that randomizes itself upon closing.... soooooo I couldn't

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danyopizzle

@PSP107 said:

@danyopizzle

no seriously though, I was scared, plus I wud not want to see the spider on my tablet, it wud be nasty and id probably fling the dang thing, which I just purchased last night lol. I thought that was a silly question so I gave out a silly answer

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Spiders are great, sorry to hear you killed them. But if they are in the house, that means you have a problem with bad guy insects, as spiders hang out in areas where prey is available.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

That's.....not actually that big.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Spiders that big occasionally appear in my basement. Fortunately I notice them fairly quickly and then kill them.

I don't get though how people live with the really huge ones lurking around....

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

@danyopizzle said:

They were both the size of quarters, chillin on my door on my way out, I could not pass till someone killed them, thank god they dead. I live on the west coast, I don't understand how spiders are so big this year, ive never ever ever in all my life seen spiders this size! its America not Australia! wth is going on? If your wondering how I survived, my gf's brother had to kill them since he was in Iraq and has seen camel spiders, and if your wondering what those are, they are basically the biggest spiders in the world.

FYI when I say a quarter, I mean a solid size, not just the legs, but the body and legs, in fact the legs were thicker than normal to compensate for there body size, it was disgusting, I don't know what there eating this year but its crazy.

lmaoo. Dude, somehow you manage to be funny through text. Bravo.

And to answer your question, I haven't seen any larger-than-normal spiders recently here in NJ...

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Come to the South.

I see spiders the size of quarters all the time not counting daddy long legs (which are technically not spiders). Banana spiders routinely get much bigger and are probably the most common "big" spider I see.

The biggest spider I have seen was in my yard. I'm trying to think of something to compare it to and the best I can come up with his 1.5X the circumference of a silver dollar. It wasn't in my house so I let it live. It had fangs I would estimate .5 inch long. It was grey and furry.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Yeah in Scotland were already getting bigger spiders due to the mild and long summer, now they're all coming into house looking to mate, saw a little girl bitten by one was hospitalized and was only a house spider that bit her. Looms like spiders are a growing(hah!) problem everywhere.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Yup, west coast here too. Hot and dry here. Plenty of moths and other insects popping out. Crickets keep popping on the stairway outside, but I didn't both killing those.

Theres also a tiny spider outside and it looks like it isn't doing its job :\

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#25  Edited By Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Dat camel spider.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

its that time of year where the giant house spider (the fastest or second fastest spider in the world (there is some debate over whether the sun spider is actually a spider :P)) is looking for some action. at least it is in europe. they seem very rare in the US.

its been a good year for them so i have the napalm and high yield explosive ready for the impending battle ahead. i hope i dont lose another house :S.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

It's always been like that here in San Francisco. Where in the West Coast do you live? I am terrified of spiders too but, I gather the stomach to kill them after a good half hour of staring right at it, hahaha.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

@Wilfred_Owen: Those things are freaky.

@Motokid6 said:

@DaJuicyMan: I live in NJ too. Biggest spider I've ever seen was on a solar job in Manalapan. It was the size of my hand with its legs sprawled out. Not kidding. No idea what it was, but it had a thick, elongated body with a triangular thorax. And it was VERY colorful which probably means very poisonous. Just chilling in the middle of its web.

As we got near it... The spider started shaking its entire web. Saying get the hell away lol. After that nobody got within ten feet of it until my buddy picked up a dead cicada and threw it in its web. The following scene was one of the freakiest things I've ever seen.

I.....kinda wanna know what happened after your friend threw the bug at it.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@Detroit222 said:

I have some HUGE ones this year - and I live in the midwest. Never saw webs that big - and one spider was about the size of a 50 cent piece! There's 3 of them living in my front yard bushes. I've named them Larry, Moe and Curly. I figure I leave them alone and let them get on with their work - eating bugs. They'll die off this winter anyway.

That's not a good idea. For all you know they could be planning to take over your house..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Once when I was younger we had a dragonfly with the body the size of a large adult finger. My older brother though it was some kind of plastic/rubber toy of mine and went to go reach for it but then it flew away and it was real. Big sucker. Happens I guess. The other night I saw a moth outside the apartment door against the exterior wall, wings were folded up behind the body (which was smaller), but the wings draped down were at least 3 1/2 inches long, probably would have been 7-8 inches extended, didn't want to disturb it to find out, thing was nasty looking.

Once years back I was doing yard work when I picked up a rock to find a centipede that must have been well over a foot long, absolutely disgusting I dropped the rock back on it and ran inside and said "**** it I hate gardening".

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#33 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Thats one small ass spider. There used to be a tarantula nest right above the frame of my room's door. I wish I were kidding.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#34  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Seriously? You call that big?

Jesus Jenny, you West Coast folks are pussies. I know from personal experience with extended family from Cali who came here (to Tennessee) to visit.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

As I was taking a piss yesterday, in the library toilet room, a fucking huntsman started crawling up the wall right between the urinal I was using and the one to my left. Alas, I could not piss my pants. I'm from Canada and it was the first time I saw one. It started up slowly then sped all the way up to the ceiling.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts
@harry_james_pot said:

@Detroit222 said:

That's not a good idea. For all you know they could be planning to take over your house..

I consider them my GUARD spiders. Anybody creeping around the front of MY HOUSE will get a nasty surprise!

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@danyopizzle said:

It aint that bad
You leave em alone
They'll leave you alone

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@DaJuicyMan: I live in NJ too. Biggest spider I've ever seen was on a solar job in Manalapan. It was the size of my hand with its legs sprawled out. Not kidding. No idea what it was, but it had a thick, elongated body with a triangular thorax. And it was VERY colorful which probably means very poisonous. Just chilling in the middle of its web.

As we got near it... The spider started shaking its entire web. Saying get the hell away lol. After that nobody got within ten feet of it until my buddy picked up a dead cicada and threw it in its web. The following scene was one of the freakiest things I've ever seen.

Did it look like this?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@Detroit222 said:

Not necessarily. Most spiders can and do survive the winter months.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

That's ... that's not big at all.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points