same-sex marriage: state or federal government?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mouse380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mouse380
Member since 2005 • 3092 Posts

Do you guys know of any credible internet sources or books that discusses the pros and cons of the Federal government passing a law making same-sex marriage legal or keeping it within the realm of the state government?

Don't worry, I'm not trying to begin a debate :P I just need to discuss it for a speech communication class that I'm taking this semester. I've already found some sources, I'm just trying to obtain as much as I can.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Credible, in regards to prohibiting it? I can't think of one.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
The federal government recognised inter-racial marriage, so they should pass a law recognising same-sex marriage. A marriage is a marriage, regardless of where it was performed.
mouse380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mouse380

Credible, in regards to prohibiting it? I can't think of one.duxup

no, I need sources explaining why same-sex marriage should be decided by state governments, as it is now. And I also need sources explaining why the Federal Government should decide whether to make it legal or not.

I have to discuss both sides in my speech.

Sorry, I hope that makes sense.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

[QUOTE="duxup"]Credible, in regards to prohibiting it? I can't think of one.mouse380

no, I need sources explaining why same-sex marriage should be decided by state governments, as it is now. And I also need sources explaining why the Federal Government should decide whether to make it legal or not.

Sorry, I hope that makes sense.

If you're looking for government involvement in such things think of marriage as a contract between two parties. In civil terms that is what a marriage is. The government is already involved in other civil contract issues so marriage isn't a big surprise, although the motivation for some folks IMO are just to impose their religious point of view on others, there are also good reasons to make sure contracts are honored or dealt with including marriage.
lynxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 lynxed
Member since 2009 • 129 Posts

This site might be a good start. Not 100% clear on what you're looking for, but this seems pretty comprehensive.

mouse380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mouse380

Yeah, that's great, thanks.

Sorry, I know it's an incredibly broad topic. It's going to be a pain to narrow all of it down in my speech :P