Russia proposes manned Moon base.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
Russia is discussing the possibility of a permanent manned outpost on the Moon with NASA and ESA. Vladimir Popovkin of the Russian space agency Roscosmos is hoping to establish a research facility on the Moon both to learn more about it and to advance the field of manned space exploration. "We don't want man to just step on the moon...Today, we know enough about it, we know that there is water in its polar areas...we are now discussing how to begin exploration with NASA and the European Space Agency," he said. Popovkin has also suggested building an orbiting space station around the Moon and plans for two unmanned missions in 2020 called Luna-Glob and Luna-Resource. Can't link sorry. http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/318175
#2 Posted by cd_rom (13951 posts) -

About fu*king time.

#3 Posted by CajunMadePunk (7425 posts) -
I will volunteer to be one of the first to colonize the moon, I always wanted to live on a moonbase.:D
#4 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
I really hope this ignites some sort of competitive spark in the current American politicians and makes them give some more goddamn funding to NASA.
#5 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
I hope there will be lunar town :)
#6 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -
Go Russia.
#7 Posted by MrMe1000 (2215 posts) -

now we need to make a bunch of clones

#8 Posted by ColdExistence (974 posts) -

About fu*king time.

cd_rom
Yes, this.
#9 Posted by themajormayor (25729 posts) -

There's water on the moon?

#10 Posted by Darthkaiser (12447 posts) -
I hope Muse gets to play in Space Oh, and about time we get that lunar base
#11 Posted by PSN-SCRODE (652 posts) -

About time. This is past due.

#12 Posted by Steameffekt (4950 posts) -

Pretty soon we'll have a bridge connecting the Moon and Earth. :D

#13 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -
I like that they want to work with us and not against us. Good for them in trying to work WITH other nations instead of China's route of doing it themselves. It is about time we ended the ignorant idea of each nation having separate space programs and started uniting all of them into a global one and work together. Same should happen with health care as we would reach a cure for cancer a lot faster!
#14 Posted by weezyfb (14703 posts) -
Shut up and take all our tax dollars
#15 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -
Great. I fully support this, unless they go all USSR on us again.
#16 Posted by MystikFollower (4061 posts) -

There's water on the moon?

themajormayor
Old buddy. Discovered it awhile ago. Quite a bit of water in fact.
#17 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -
Great. I fully support this, unless they go all USSR on us again.BranKetra
Hope not. Never want another cold war.
#18 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

What do we have to gain from a lunar base? Besides bragging rights.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

airshocker

Practically speaking, resources would be the most beneficial. Since the moon has water, it could potentially be extracted. Beyond that, I'm not sure. They could use it as an outer space technology facility. Without the need to fuel liftoff beyond the earth's atmosphere, spaceships could be improved. That's just wishful thinking, though. It would more likely be a military base.

#20 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Practically speaking, resources would be the most beneficial. Since the moon has water, it could be potentially be extracted. Beyond that, I'm not sure. They could use it as an outer space technology facility. Without the need to fuel liftoff beyond the earth's atmosphere, spaceships could be improved. That's just wishful thinking, though. It would more likely be a military base.BranKetra

We have water on earth.

This doesn't sound worth it to me, even though it would be cool.

How are the people on the base going to breathe? It would cost millions just to bring air up to them.

#21 Posted by Rougehunter (5873 posts) -

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

BranKetra

Practically speaking, resources would be the most beneficial. Since the moon has water, it could be potentially be extracted. Beyond that, I'm not sure. They could use it as an outer space technology facility. Without the need to fuel liftoff beyond the earth's atmosphere, spaceships could be improved. That's just wishful thinking, though. It would more likely be a military base.

The moon also has plenty of resourses that we can use on Earth like iron, silicon, and aluminium

#22 Posted by Blaminator1221 (455 posts) -

airshocker
It will be the first and most important step towards galactic colonization... Humanity has to expand, it can't stay in the same planet for millions of years.
#23 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

It will be the first and most important step towards galactic colonization... Humanity has to expand, it can't stay in the same planet for millions of years.Blaminator1221

I doubt we'll even exist in a few thousand years. Let alone a million.

#24 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

They first have to land there....

#25 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

The moon also has plenty of resourses that we can use on Earth like iron, silicon, and aluminium

Rougehunter

So how do we get those resources back to earth and who is going to pay for it?

#26 Posted by sonofsmeagle (4317 posts) -

now we need to make a bunch of clones

MrMe1000
and get Kevin Spacey to voice all the robots
#27 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Practically speaking, resources would be the most beneficial. Since the moon has water, it could be potentially be extracted. Beyond that, I'm not sure. They could use it as an outer space technology facility. Without the need to fuel liftoff beyond the earth's atmosphere, spaceships could be improved. That's just wishful thinking, though. It would more likely be a military base.airshocker

We have water on earth.

This doesn't sound worth it to me, even though it would be cool.

How are the people on the base going to breathe? It would cost millions just to bring air up to them.

There is a whole lot of water on earth, but the freshwater isn't going to last forever. In fact, there really isn't that much at this point when compared to the salted stuff. Note: The word "salt water" was automatically censored. Uh huh...

Scientists have been discussing building a space elevator for a while now. If one of those is designed, it would cut the cost of supplying outer space greatly imo. Link 1 Link 2

#28 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

There is a whole lot of water on earth, but the freshwater isn't going to last forever. In fact, there really isn't that much at this point when compared to the salted stuff. Note: The word "salt water" was automatically censored. Uh huh...

Scientists have been discussing building a space elevator for a while now. If one of those is designed, it would cut the cost of supplying outer space greatly imo. Link 1 Link 2

BranKetra

We have desalination plants for the very purpose of getting potable water from the ocean.

I dunno', still doesn't seem worth it.

#29 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

We have desalination plants for the very purpose of getting potable water from the ocean.

I dunno', still doesn't seem worth it.

I know about those. If not for mining, then I would support it for technology and science.
#30 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

I know about those. If not for mining, then I would support it for technology and science.BranKetra

There's one thing I can't criticize Obama on, and that's cutting funding to NASA. It would be great if we could give it the money it deserves, but right now we have bigger things to deal with.

#31 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I know about those. If not for mining, then I would support it for technology and science.airshocker

There's one thing I can't criticize Obama on, and that's cutting funding to NASA. It would be great if we could give it the money it deserves, but right now we have bigger things to deal with.

True. Apparently Russia can do it.
#32 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

True. Apparently Russia can do it.BranKetra

We'll see how well that works out. :P

#33 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rougehunter"]

airshocker

So how do we get those resources back to earth and who is going to pay for it?

Who says we want them on earth? Iron, Aluminum and Water. Sounds like perfect moon-base materials.
#34 Posted by Blaminator1221 (455 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blaminator1221"]It will be the first and most important step towards galactic colonization... Humanity has to expand, it can't stay in the same planet for millions of years.airshocker

I doubt we'll even exist in a few thousand years. Let alone a million.

Well i'm little bit more optimistic than you on this. :)

#35 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Well i'm little bit more optimistic than you on this. :)

Blaminator1221

At some point this grand experiment known as humanity will end. Whether we get to the point where we can have a God-Emperor of Mankind or not is anybody's guess.

#36 Posted by Firebird-5 (2848 posts) -
i want them to make robots that mine the asteroid belt and bring back delicious resources
#37 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -

This is good news. Now we're one step closer to actual moonwalking on the moon.

#38 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

soulless4now
it's already been done....
#39 Posted by King-gamer (5633 posts) -

About fu*king time.

cd_rom
Now they just need to invent a way to live forever....
#40 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
Wow, about freaking time. Jesus, this should have been happening 20 years ago. I mean, really. How long this took is just absurd. T___T /sarcasm Sounds really far-fetched, but cool nonetheless.
#41 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -

soulless4now
"That's one small step for man, and one giant step for mankind." It's been done.
#42 Posted by Candy-Star (4378 posts) -
lol what? lets fix the problems on earth first please
#43 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -
lol what? lets fix the problems on earth first pleaseCandy-Star
Problems, what problems?
#44 Posted by DarkOfKnight (2543 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I know about those. If not for mining, then I would support it for technology and science.airshocker

Cutting funding to NASA was wrong, you can't deny all the benefits a strong space program has given us. We need a strong space program, without it you would have a lot less of the advancements we have to day. http://curiosity.discovery.com/topic/physics-concepts-and-definitions/ten-nasa-inventions1.htmhttp://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/home/F_I_Use_NASA_Stuff_Everyday.htmlhttp://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/aug/06/ben_bova_nasa_has_given_us_much_more_moon_rocks_an/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/50-years-50-giant-leaps-how-nasa-rocked-our-world-879377.html#more
#45 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
lol what? lets fix the problems on earth first pleaseCandy-Star
There are too many to handle, which is why we'll go to the moon, then screw that place up too.
#46 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

just went tot he NASA base in florida this past summer...they get very little funding as it is, it's amazing the things they can do with so little money. But seeing the last space shuttle sitting upright on the launch pad was priceless
#47 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

I know about those. If not for mining, then I would support it for technology and science.BranKetra

just went tot he NASA base in florida this past summer...they get very little funding as it is, it's amazing the things they can do with so little money. But seeing the last space shuttle sitting upright on the launch pad was priceless

Yeah. I wasn't there in person, but I saw it lift off on television. We went outside to see it, but the view was blocked by trees and clouds.
#48 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -
sounds good but it is not far enough from earth for me to jump ship
#49 Posted by DJ-PRIME90 (11292 posts) -

About fu*king time.

cd_rom
#50 Posted by PSN-SCRODE (652 posts) -
[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

CaptainAhab13
"That's one small step for man, and one giant step for mankind." It's been done.

You completly missed this one. Actual moonwalking on the moon