Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Link

For our non-wrestling fans, Ronda Rousey took the leap from MMA to WWE not too long ago. After her debut during Wrestlemanin last year, she went from being popular to getting mixed reactions. Last Monday, during her buildup to defending the Women’s Championship during this year’s Wrestlemania, she move over to the dark side and told the fans how she really feels about her.

But she didn’t stop there, on her personal YouTube channel she “told” the world that wrestling is scripted and now she is going to do what she wants and the WWE can’t stop her.

After her video (which is what they call a “work,” or scripted events they make appear to be real life), memes have been coming out making fun of Rousey’s revelation. Making fun of the memes, she tweeted the following:

The tweet is in reference to her getting her hair done while she went into her profanity-laced revelation about the WWE. Other memes that have came out are as follows:

Wrestling fans, what do you think?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@ad1x2:

The business was exposed way before this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'm not a wrestling fan, but WWE is scripted.

When people call it fake, as I have in the past, it doesn't capture the true meaning because it implies that the punches, the falls, the body slams, etc are somehow an illusion and they're not, they're really happening. It's just that those things were planned, the winner was already set to win, the loser was always going to lose, and the people who are there being entertained by it are still entertained.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ad1x2

@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

People have known about wrestling being scripted for decades, Rousey’s words are part of a storyline where she is claiming she won’t follow the script. It kind of reminds people of this classic from almost 20 years ago:

Loading Video...

duncanae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 duncanae
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts

I really have enjoyed a lot of what Ronda has done since she’s been in the WWE but this recent bit is kind of cringey to me. Of course we all know pro wrestling is scripted and I think that it is pretty cool when they work that into the storylines sometimes I just don’t think that it’s been all that well implemented here, at least for now. I’m willing to wait and see where this goes.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Wrestling is scripted?! No it isn't... right? ?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ad1x2

@Archangel3371 said:

I really have enjoyed a lot of what Ronda has done since she’s been in the WWE but this recent bit is kind of cringey to me. Of course we all know pro wrestling is scripted and I think that it is pretty cool when they work that into the storylines sometimes I just don’t think that it’s been all that well implemented here, at least for now. I’m willing to wait and see where this goes.

I’m watching to see where they take things, but it almost seems like they low-key rehired Vince Russo to write storylines. Although there are others saying that this one is courtesy of Paul Heyman.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Why do I feel this is scripted...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@Serraph105 said:

When people call it fake, as I have in the past, it doesn't capture the true meaning because it implies that the punches, the falls, the body slams, etc are somehow an illusion and they're not, they're really happening. It's just that those things were planned, the winner was already set to win, the loser was always going to lose, and the people who are there being entertained by it are still entertained.

Can't say the punches actually are all that real, though. Most strikes, you can tell are being pulled, the punches especially look awful. Slams and all that, true, but they're also prepared for the impact. You can see them signaling each other before they deliver them. And I mean, if Undertaker was actually doing real Tombstones, then he'd have broken hundreds of necks by now. They all know when something is coming, so it's definitely not as real as an actual fight.

@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

And I think it's because of that which is why all the memes are coming out. It's Captain Obvious stuff.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58923 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

You're telling me the Undertake can't control electricity?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Serraph105

@uninspiredcup said:
@Serraph105 said:

LOL his character does that?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#13  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Serraph105: They're not hitting each other with full force, so it's not like real fights are really happening. But what is happening is a lot of play-fighting, choreography, and stunt work, which can be risky if they screw up. To be a WWE wrestler means being a stuntman, actor and entertainer rolled into one. In some ways, WWE fights are like martial arts movies, but live in real-time like a theater production.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Serraph105

@Jag85: Yup, and if we're being honest here, Ronda is probably saying these things because she was told to do so and it's probably part of her character. My guess is that, and this is just the view of an outsider who has read about the various stories WWE has done over the years, all of this will end up being some story or theme on a feminist character in the show.

The whole, "They can't tell me what to do" corresponds nicely with the idea that men aren't going to hold women back anymore and saying the things that men don't want to hear, because of course they can tell her what do. It's still WWE's show, they can just be like, "Shut up or you're fired."

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

Yep all the way back to 1996 curtain call or earlier.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I'm just amazed wrestling is still relavant?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ad1x2

@warmblur said:
@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

It's way earlier than 1996. Vince McMahon officially revealed that it was predetermined in 1989 while speaking to the New Jersey State Senate, although it was well before then that people had their suspicions it wasn't real. The link I posted also mentions the 1984 incident between John Stossel and David Schultz.

It makes me laugh when someone that isn't a fan of wrestling thinks they're doing fans a favor by reminding them that wrestling isn't real, most fans of wrestling realized it was scripted before they hit puberty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ad1x2 said:
@warmblur said:
@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

It's way earlier than 1996. Vince McMahon officially revealed that it was predetermined in 1989 while speaking to the New Jersey State Senate, although it was well before then that people had their suspicions it wasn't real. The link I posted also mentions the 1984 incident between John Stossel and David Schultz.

It makes me laugh when someone that isn't a fan of wrestling thinks they're doing fans a favor by reminding them that wrestling isn't real, most fans of wrestling realized it was scripted before they hit puberty.

This is what I was thinking of I knew it was earlier.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Serraph105 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Serraph105 said:

Loading Video...

It's real dammit.

@vfighter said:

It's ratings are lower than they use to be. Having started rewatching it again, none of the characters seemed to be as fun as the likes of the older 90/2000's, barring maybe Asuka, she's great fun to watch.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Ronda Rousey stating that wrestling is scripted

https://media0.giphy.com/media/1kIzz8gc3os9yY49cU/giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c86d234634c43556b7f51d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

This guy use to be a long time wrestling fan just like me he makes some great points I can relate to this so much I'm sure alot of old wrestling fans that watched in the 90's and early 00's can understand.

Loading Video...
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#22 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@ad1x2 said:
@warmblur said:
@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

Pretty sure it was known even earlier than that, at least since the '70s. In 1976, there was a match between Muhammad Ali and Inoki in Japan, which was an early proto-MMA, mixed-rules, boxer vs. wrestler match (i.e. like the Mayweather vs. McGregor of its time). In some interviews with Inoki, he called-out American wrestling as "fake", and claimed that Japanese wrestling is "real" (but in reality, Japanese pro wrestling was also "fake"). This leads me to believe that word of pro wrestling being "fake" had been circulating for a long time, at least since the '70s.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Serraph105 said:

That's a good point. Sometimes bones are broken and muscles ripped and they continue.

Loading Video...

And people get sniffy about it, like it's a 0 effort low quality art.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107

@warmblur said:
@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

What's funny about the "curtain call" was the begining of the next wrestling boom period. NWO and Attitude Era took off big time.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Does anyone care? wrestling is just for f-list wannabe actors with a steroid addiction.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I don't watch wrestling, but I do watch UFC. Rousey got wasted the last time she fought and she still thinks she is God's gift to the UFC. So I'm really not surprised about her comments about the WWE. Loud and cocky, that's all she is.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I thought this was common knowledge............

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I mostly just stick with WWE's NXT these days. Raw and Smackdown are a bit garbo and it's always a shame seeing one of the NXT guys get "promoted" to the main shows because NXT just has better wrestling.

@uninspiredcup said:
@Serraph105 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Serraph105 said:

Loading Video...

It's real dammit.

@vfighter said:

It's ratings are lower than they use to be. Having started rewatching it again, none of the characters seemed to be as fun as the likes of the older 90/2000's, barring maybe Asuka, she's great fun to watch.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Serraph105 said:

Can't say the punches actually are all that real, though. Most strikes, you can tell are being pulled, the punches especially look awful. Slams and all that, true, but they're also prepared for the impact. You can see them signaling each other before they deliver them. And I mean, if Undertaker was actually doing real Tombstones, then he'd have broken hundreds of necks by now. They all know when something is coming, so it's definitely not as real as an actual fight.

@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

And I think it's because of that which is why all the memes are coming out. It's Captain Obvious stuff.

And sometimes mis-queues happen

Loading Video...

You can tell from Vince McMahon's voice that he was not happy for that botch

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireEmblem_Man
@mandzilla said:

Wrestling is scripted?! No it isn't... right? ?

You tell me

Loading Video...

2 of them are now in the WWE, can you guess which?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Kayfabe is long gone. Even shoots are far and few in between.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PSP107

@FireEmblem_Man:

1. That was a deadly pedigree.

2. Was that more Triple H's fault or the other guy because it seems like he took it wrong.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FireEmblem_Man
@PSP107 said:

@FireEmblem_Man:

1. That was a deadly pedigree.

2. Was that more Triple H's fault or the other guy because it seems like he took it wrong.

It was the guy's fault, they were signalling for the Pedigree, the guy thought he was doing the DDT, which explains why he rose his body.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mandzilla  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man: Wow haha, that's Angela Fong? Who's the dude in the mask, he made it to the WWE?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
@mandzilla said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Wow haha, that's Angela Fong? Who's the dude in the mask, he made it to the WWE?

Yes, that's Angela Fong, and no, that mask guy didn't make it. The Japanese wrestlers that did though, are in WWE NXT going against Ronda's other horsewomen

Loading Video...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FireEmblem_Man
@Jag85 said:

@Serraph105: They're not hitting each other with full force, so it's not like real fights are really happening. But what is happening is a lot of play-fighting, choreography, and stunt work, which can be risky if they screw up. To be a WWE wrestler means being a stuntman, actor and entertainer rolled into one. In some ways, WWE fights are like martial arts movies, but live in real-time like a theater production.

Yeah, like this. The American Chinese Karen Q vs Chinese Native Xia Li. One advantage of Xia is she knows Wu Shu

Loading Video...

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mandzilla  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man: Wow I see, really need to get back into watching NXT again!

Gwynbleidd_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gwynbleidd_91
Member since 2018 • 137 Posts
@ad1x2 said:
@warmblur said:
@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2:

Never saw that incident from 1984, dude slapped the life out of him.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

WWE is more scripted than Playstation movie games.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PSP107

@ad1x2: @warmblur:

Did the reporter get $425,000 for being slapped?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ad1x2

@PSP107 said:

@ad1x2: @warmblur:

Did the reporter get $425,000 for being slapped?

Wikipedia says yes, and that he regretted suing later on.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I know WWE is fake and scripted but its entertaining which why I used to watch it. Not so much anymore. Of course WWE is fake, but 90% of TV shows are as well. Jersey Shore is incredibly fake but nobody is complaining about that.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@realistic44 said:

I know WWE is fake and scripted but its entertaining which why I used to watch it. Not so much anymore. Of course WWE is fake, but 90% of TV shows are as well. Jersey Shore is incredibly fake but nobody is complaining about that.

That's a different kind of fake *wink wink*

But then again, WWE also has those "fakes"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: that's not a botch. trips took care of him. There was nothing dangerous about that at all.

It's called making it look good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I knew wrestling was scripted back in the late 1980's when I was 4.

It's literally an athletic soap opera. All the shit they DO is real, but the story behind it isn't.