Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#51 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37052 Posts

@johnd13 said:

@uninspiredcup: Yeah Palpatine deserved a place in this trilogy. He's been the main villain of the entire Skywalker story. Though they went a little overboard imo. I agree, it pretty much nullifies Darth Vader's sacrifice from the OT. I would have been ok with him being a force ghost manipulating everything or something instead of having survived and wielding unlimited power again.

Is Darth Reddit Kylo Ren? Lol. Kylo is the most interesting character in these movies. We pretty much witnessed the conflict inside him in all its glory with him killing his father. I would very much rather he survived in the end instead of Rey. We've seen the bad guy finding redemption by sacrifice before. I want to see him finding redemption AND surviving to face his criminal past moving forward. Plus, he's a Skywalker. Rey is not, regardless of what she said lol.

Yea that ending was supremely dumb. Don't own it, just pretend something else!

Also if Snoke was created, and Palpy wanted her to take over and kill im', why the **** was Snoke trying to kill her? What was the point of Snoke? Shit makes no fucking sense.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9915 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@johnd13 said:

@uninspiredcup: Yeah Palpatine deserved a place in this trilogy. He's been the main villain of the entire Skywalker story. Though they went a little overboard imo. I agree, it pretty much nullifies Darth Vader's sacrifice from the OT. I would have been ok with him being a force ghost manipulating everything or something instead of having survived and wielding unlimited power again.

Is Darth Reddit Kylo Ren? Lol. Kylo is the most interesting character in these movies. We pretty much witnessed the conflict inside him in all its glory with him killing his father. I would very much rather he survived in the end instead of Rey. We've seen the bad guy finding redemption by sacrifice before. I want to see him finding redemption AND surviving to face his criminal past moving forward. Plus, he's a Skywalker. Rey is not, regardless of what she said lol.

Yea that ending was supremely dumb. Don't own it, just pretend something else!

Also if Snoke was created, and Palpy wanted her to take over and kill im', why the **** was Snoke trying to kill her? What was the point of Snoke? Shit makes no fucking sense.

It's almost like the decision to bring Palpatine back wasn't made until after JJ began working on RoS. Rian Johnson killed of Snoke so he had to bring in another baddy. I remember reading about all the theories regarding Snoke (could he be Darth Plagueis) after TFA, it was nice having this mysterious new villain. But nope, he was nothing. Back to basics!

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1328 Posts

Ultimately Disney is the one to blame. To not write out the trilogy arc from start to finish was a huge mistake.

Telling JJ Abrams, Rian and that other guy they were each going to make a film without telling them what the arc would be was a huge mistake.

There was no planning at all. They legit just winged the entire trilogy and made it up as they went along.

Rian Johnson has never watched a Star Wars movie before he wrote TLJ.

TLJ is the worst Star Wars movie and just a terrible movie in general.

Kathleen Kennedy also needs to take a huge part of the blame because her, Rian and the other cronies did their best to destroy Star Wars and they succeeded.

They forever killed Star Wars and Disney has lost potentially Billions in Toy money among other revenue streams because of the failure of the TLJ.

Listen, I like TFA and I liked TROS. Neither are perfect and I have very minor complaints I can overlook. I can watch those 2 films tons of times and be entertained.

In fact, I suggest all of you just watch TFA, skip TLJ and go straight to TROS and you pretty much have the perfect story.

TLJ was the most pointless movie of the trilogy especially when you realize that Finn, Rose and Poe all could have died at the start of the movie and NOTHING would have changed by the end of TLJ.

At least in TROS they are a bit more useful and not completely overlooked.

Man, I wish JJ Abrams just did all 3 movies but Kathleen Kennedy had to push politics and destroy Star Wars.

And Disney is going to continue killing Star Wars because they are starting a new trilogy within 2 years.

Give Star Wars movies a long break. Like at least 10 years. Focus on TV shows and cartoons.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#54 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 24974 Posts

@ajstyles: I agree with everything except for anything you said about TLJ. All of that was wrong.

TLJ was very much the movie that was trying to make Star Wars great again, taking what TFA introduced and doing something new and interesting with it. Rian Johnson is a massive Star Wars fan and created the perfect, most authentic Luke from the original trilogy. Yeah, he kinda sidelined Finn by making the whole movie about Luke and Kylo Ren, but if you are complaining that nothing would have changed by the end of the movie if those characters had died, then you really missed the whole point of the movie, which was to develop the characters as they failed to complete their respective missions. For example, Finn went from a deserter to a devoted Resistance soldier by the end of the movie. Also, in what universe did the billion dollar and critically acclaimed TLJ was a failure?

Also, politics was completely absent from the Star Wars sequels, it being one of the main things Disney and Kennedy did not want to carry over from the prequels. Unless you have a certain different definition of politics....

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55  Edited By Mighty-Lu-Bu
Member since 2007 • 3087 Posts

@ajstyles said:

Ultimately Disney is the one to blame. To not write out the trilogy arc from start to finish was a huge mistake.

Telling JJ Abrams, Rian and that other guy they were each going to make a film without telling them what the arc would be was a huge mistake.

There was no planning at all. They legit just winged the entire trilogy and made it up as they went along.

Rian Johnson has never watched a Star Wars movie before he wrote TLJ.

TLJ is the worst Star Wars movie and just a terrible movie in general.

Kathleen Kennedy also needs to take a huge part of the blame because her, Rian and the other cronies did their best to destroy Star Wars and they succeeded.

They forever killed Star Wars and Disney has lost potentially Billions in Toy money among other revenue streams because of the failure of the TLJ.

Listen, I like TFA and I liked TROS. Neither are perfect and I have very minor complaints I can overlook. I can watch those 2 films tons of times and be entertained.

In fact, I suggest all of you just watch TFA, skip TLJ and go straight to TROS and you pretty much have the perfect story.

TLJ was the most pointless movie of the trilogy especially when you realize that Finn, Rose and Poe all could have died at the start of the movie and NOTHING would have changed by the end of TLJ.

At least in TROS they are a bit more useful and not completely overlooked.

Man, I wish JJ Abrams just did all 3 movies but Kathleen Kennedy had to push politics and destroy Star Wars.

And Disney is going to continue killing Star Wars because they are starting a new trilogy within 2 years.

Give Star Wars movies a long break. Like at least 10 years. Focus on TV shows and cartoons.

I pretty much agree with everything.

I do have some minor gripes with TFA, but generally speaking, I think it is a very good movie.

I have even fewer gripes with TRoS and even though I can acknowledge that it isn't perfect, it is still a great Star Wars film in its own right. It was a massive improvement in just about every measurable aspect when directly compared to TLJ, I truly believe that this is the best film we could have gotten with how bad TLJ was.

It just sucks because if JJ Abrams would have directed all three, we wouldn't have TLJ which seems ridiculously out of place for this entire trilogy.

I think that it is also important to acknowledge two things- first and foremost, based on user reviews, TRoS was well-received (based on data from Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb and Metacritic), but based on user reviews, TLJ was NOT well-received (based on the same criteria). Second, the critics are undoubtedly being too harsh with TRoS and in actual critic reviews, I have seen critics accuse the film of being both sexist and racist which is ridiculous. Unlike TLJ, the TRoS did not go out of its way to cater to SJWs (which I thought really hurt TLJ).

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11320 Posts

Members Berries: The Movie. I legit fell out of my theater chair laughing when the star destroyer blows up a planet.

"So, how about the death star comes back for a fourth time? Not just a new death star. Not just a bigger death star. A fleet of death stars!"

It's something you'd pitch for a Star Wars parody.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2172 Posts

Heard the movie did much more worse than Last Jedi. Yikes, that is next level shit bad.

sonicare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#58 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57168 Posts

Give it a C-. Whole new trilogy has been fairly underwhelming to be honest. Just felt like something was missing this entire series. Poor writing, sloppy and inane plot, etc. etc. etc. I liked some of the actors and they did well with what they were given, but there just seemed to be a lack of any coherent point to the entire series.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2129 Posts

Gonna post this again, since my thread was mostly ignored.

I did rather enjoy The Rise of Skywalker, but the more I think about it, the more it bothers me. This trilogy is a mess and I have no desire to ever see it again.I liked the message of The Last Jedi, that Sith and Jedi, it’s all one, and we should learn to let go of the past. It respected the original trilogy more than bringing back Palpatine and undoing the importance of what Luke and his father did. I liked that Kylo Ren unshackled himself from his master. Episode IX really should have just had Kylo Ren in charge, instead of once again going back to the pawn of the evil master idea. I really thought he had finally become his own man after TLJ and that we might see a more confident, clear-headed ruler in Episode IX. Destroying the helmet that made him feel more like Vader was a part of that. I’m so confused that Luke searched for Palpatine while exiling himself, or searched for Palpatine between training the new Jedi and exiling himself. This dumb retcon just so Kylo Ren could have a master again.

I really didn’t want Rey to be related to anyone and was so relieved when The Last Jedi said that she was no one, came from nothing. It meant that anyone could be a chosen one or whatever, that the force didn’t just select those from the families. My biggest fear for Episode IX was that JJ Abrams would undo that, and he fucking did. I hoped they’d explain her power some other way. Why another offspring? It’s so predictable, so dumb, like every hero in the galaxy has to be related. Rey’s whole arc was about finding out where she belongs and who she is. I did like the idea presented in Rise of Skywalker that she can be whoever she wants to be, but we could have gotten there just fine by continuing from where TLJ ended.

I’m pretty sure if a moon crashed into Kef Bir, which is itself a moon, that moon would be freaking gone. Death Star II has a diameter of 160 km. That’s enough to destroy Earth’s atmosphere. It’s sixteen times the size of the meteor that ended the dinosaurs. Even if just half or a third the space station landed on Kef Bir, it would be absolutely catastrophic. And how the hell can so much of it be seen from within the moon’s atmosphere? It’s too massive. We saw the whole exterior of the space station get obliterated in Return of the Jedi. I think I’m pretty open minded with Star Wars, but they stretched my suspension of disbelief beyond belief.

Disney pussed out in the presence of all the backlash, and in the end it broke the trilogy even more than if they had just followed the path Rian Johnson set.

I actually blame The Force Awakens for most of the problems in The Last Jedi and the trilogy as a whole. It’s Rian Johnson who tried to salvage Abrams’ mess. Abrams and Disney didn’t even TRY to imagine what the galaxy might really be like after the deaths of Palpatine and Vader. The Empire wouldn’t have just turned to “ashes,” as the opening crawl in The Force Awakens stated. There still would have been much to do for the Rebels. I would have imagined Leia as representative of the peace keepers trying to help govern a new Republic or expanded Alliance. Perhaps Commander/General Solo with forces of the new Republic/Alliance would have tried to mop up the remaining Empire. Think about that scene at the end of Rise of Skywalker when the huge allied space fleet shows up to save the day. That should have been the allies from the start of Episode VII. I actually would have started the new trilogy with the Empire on the losing side, from the perspective of Storm Trooper Finn or maybe an Imperial Rey. The first movie would have been about the Empire’s resurgence or the First Order rising from the shambles (not the ashes) of the Empire, under the leadership of a new force user, whom I haven’t decided should be Sith or not. Or, perhaps even better, a band of force users, a few who left Luke’s school. They would have been unique characters who actually interact, wearing no masks (so as to give them more character), with Kylo Ren or whoever sort of but not quite at the top. They would have been more of a threat to Rey, the Knights of Ren that are briefly mentioned in The Force Awakens. That would have been SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

I wouldn’t have wasted the last thirty years of Luke’s life either. If I did make him a McGuffin, someone the Empire and Alliance are searching for, I would have, at the end, when Rey finds him, shown him not by himself on a little island, but with a school of apprentices he has been teaching in secret. The Force Awakens pissed on Luke before Johnson ever did. The trilogy could have also been about Luke and his apprentice, perhaps Leia’s son or daughter, and how he tries to train him/her with the dark shadow of his family hanging over them. We would have witnessed that instead of being told of the events by characters. I would have actually had him survive the trilogy.

Instead, Abrams under the poor direction of Disney to do a soft reboot just kept everything the same. Another desert protagonist. Rebels against a huge Empire again, barely mentioning the Republic or explaining anything that happened in the last thirty years. Another planet-destroying sphere. Solo still smuggling. The Jedi still just Luke, another hermit. Leia still with the underdog Rebels. Rey another child of a Sith. A Sith lord manipulating the antagonist again. It was all so lazy, safe, regurgitated and unrealistic, demonstrating Abrams barely thought the whole thing through. They wrote Episode VII and started filming in almost no time at all. I can see why Johnson wanted to cancel his mistake. They should have taken another year, at least, writing the three movies beforehand.

I hope they learned a lesson with this trilogy, to take their time writing it. Just because you paid 4 billion dollars for the franchise doesn’t mean you have to start pre-production like the next season. George Lucas had been cooking the idea for the three part story of The Star Wars in his head for years before he ever filmed the original. Some things obviously changed as they made the films, but it definitely helped having a plan. Next time, the writers should formulate a three part story covering the whole trilogy and then have the producer make sure the directors follow that vision. It’s okay if they take a long while to write it. I know one of the reasons Avatar 2 is taking so long is because James Cameron wrote out the whole rest of the series before he began filming the sequels, and I’m sure that will pay off in the end.

And for Christ’s sake, stop making the force users so ridiculous. Why in the hell would a force ghost be able to manipulate things in the real world, especially to such an extent as lifting an X-Wing? They could be much more helpful if they had that ability. What’s to stop the next Jedi protagonist from going into battle with an army of force ghosts behind him? Ridiculous.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11320 Posts

This trilogy was doomed the minute that Disney scrapped the extended universe and decided the new movies couldn't be based on any of it. The real sequel trilogy came out damn near 30 years ago, in the form of Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command". Imagine if Disney had just taken those books, hired a director who was a legit passionate fan and said, "you have Disney's money behind you. Go."

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 3386 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

This trilogy was doomed the minute that Disney scrapped the extended universe and decided the new movies couldn't be based on any of it. The real sequel trilogy came out damn near 30 years ago, in the form of Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command". Imagine if Disney had just taken those books, hired a director who was a legit passionate fan and said, "you have Disney's money behind you. Go."

As I understand it, Disney does not have complete ownership of the EU. They have to be very careful about lifting any characters or stories from it.

Solspear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Solspear
Member since 2015 • 49 Posts

@madrocketeer:

Rise of Skywalker is trash, just like Last Jedi.

The only idiots kidding themselves are the old farts that just appreciated seeing more Star Wars in Theaters and their kids too who want Laser Swords.

The story was fuked from the beginning when they went with another mysterious desert child with Force Powers

Another Empire that wasn't defeated just because their Supreme Leaders were defeated

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6931 Posts
@solspear said:

@madrocketeer:

Rise of Skywalker is trash, just like Last Jedi.

The only idiots kidding themselves are the old farts that just appreciated seeing more Star Wars in Theaters and their kids too who want Laser Swords.

The story was fuked from the beginning when they went with another mysterious desert child with Force Powers

Another Empire that wasn't defeated just because their Supreme Leaders were defeated

And? What does your opinion have anything to do with my posts?