reincarnation paradox?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Whats more believable? That something came from nothing or something came from something?

I believe in reincarnation. So there is at least some believability to work with. There is evidence of something.

On the atheist front, they cant answer how something came from nothing. There is no evidence that there was nothing from the beginning. 

So wouldnt that mean reincarnation is more believable than how we exist today?

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
You've concluded nothing does not = something. How is that true?
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slipknot0129

You've concluded nothing does not = something. How is that true?lo_Pine
You ever cut someone one zeroth of a pie? Im gonna cut you one zeroth of a pie anyways for the sake of it. 

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]You've concluded nothing does not = something. How is that true?slipknot0129

You ever cut someone one zeroth of a pie?

No. But I know what having 0 pie is like.
mmwmwmmwmwmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mmwmwmmwmwmm
Member since 2008 • 620 Posts
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"](a)On the atheist front, they cant answer how something came from nothing. There is no evidence that there was nothing from the beginning. (b)So wouldnt that mean reincarnation is more believable than how we exist today?

I am not following how you got from A to B.
JinjonatorX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JinjonatorX
Member since 2010 • 639 Posts
Reincarnation as an explanation still leaves just as many questions as anything else. Let's say I was a koala in my past life. That koala was a spider in its past life. The spider was a bird. And you keep going back and back and back and... then what? Where did this chain of reincarnation begin? You yourself said something can't come from nothing, so how does your reincarnation idea account for this? Where did the very first thing in my reincarnation lineage come from?
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slipknot0129

Reincarnation as an explanation still leaves just as many questions as anything else. Let's say I was a koala in my past life. That koala was a spider in its past life. The spider was a bird. And you keep going back and back and back and... then what? Where did this chain of reincarnation begin? You yourself said something can't come from nothing, so how does your reincarnation idea account for this? Where did the very first thing in my reincarnation lineage come from?JinjonatorX
I thought I was on to something but it all comes back to the beginning. Since we exist there must have always been something. 

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="JinjonatorX"]Reincarnation as an explanation still leaves just as many questions as anything else. Let's say I was a koala in my past life. That koala was a spider in its past life. The spider was a bird. And you keep going back and back and back and... then what? Where did this chain of reincarnation begin? You yourself said something can't come from nothing, so how does your reincarnation idea account for this? Where did the very first thing in my reincarnation lineage come from?slipknot0129

I thought I was on to something but it all comes back to the beginning. Since we exist there must have always been something. 

Well, I guess you were right if we all came from something. Even if nothing = something. Then what you said "since we exist there must have always been something" is true. So, is the perpetuation of the first something God, or is the perpetuation nothing?
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="JinjonatorX"]Reincarnation as an explanation still leaves just as many questions as anything else. Let's say I was a koala in my past life. That koala was a spider in its past life. The spider was a bird. And you keep going back and back and back and... then what? Where did this chain of reincarnation begin? You yourself said something can't come from nothing, so how does your reincarnation idea account for this? Where did the very first thing in my reincarnation lineage come from?lo_Pine

Well, I guess you were right if we all came from something. Even if nothing = something. Then what you said "since we exist there must have always been something" is true. So, is the perpetuation of the first something God, or is the perpetuation nothing?

Maybe its simply that either nothing is possible or everything is possible. There is no in between. So since we exist, every possibility exists. Down to lifeforms, universes, and dimensions. 

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Everything did not come from nothing, everything was part of a super-dense mass that exploded, the resulting fragments making up the various parts of our universe.  Even if we accepted your premises, I don't know how that proves reincarnation.  Human beings can come from something without their consciousness existing before their physical bodies.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="slipknot0129"]I thought I was on to something but it all comes back to the beginning. Since we exist there must have always been something. 

slipknot0129

Maybe its simply that either nothing is possible or everything is possible. There is no in between. So since we exist, every possibility exists. Down to lifeforms, universes, and dimensions. 

So, in absolutes "either nothing is possible or everything is possible", does that mean the fact me and you are communicating right now is an event is evidence in the proof that that we are not simply nothing? If that's the case then we are both in the realm/dimension of something.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I think people believe in reincarnation because they can't conceive of the idea of themselves not existing.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lo_Pine

Everything did not come from nothing, everything was part of a super-dense mass that exploded, the resulting fragments making up the various parts of our universe.  Even if we accepted your premises, I don't know how that proves reincarnation.  Human beings can come from something without their consciousness existing before their physical bodies.

theone86
If the multiverse theory is true then we did, in fact, come from something. We were the sprout of extra space of another universe. So his reincarnation statement is metaphorically true. Of course, unless we were the first universe to exist, then where would that come from?
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

theone86
That is the current theory. However we never calculated the mass of the universe before/after said "super dense mass" exploded, nor do we know the origin of said "super dense mass". One could just as easily surmise that the universe is infinitely vast and will continue to grow at an unknowable rate. With infinite mass and space, the only thing limiting something from happening are natural laws and probability (which only increases with time and more chances)
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

When I saw this thread title....

d

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

d

ShadowsDemon

I'd bet money that this topic will morph into the usual OT religion thread.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lo_Pine

d

ShadowsDemon
That's what I'm doing, quite literally.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]

d

GreySeal9

I'd bet money that this topic will morph into the usual OT religion thread.

Of course it will. Hardcore atheists and religious preachers use every goddamn chance they have to do so.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]

d

lo_Pine

The four of us, and Sansa, should have a booze party :P
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]

d

ShadowsDemon

Ill bring the Guinness Draught.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] That's what I'm doing, quite literally.

Good man . . . er, cheshire cat? :P
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] The four of us, and Sansa, should have a booze party :P

Good man . . . er, cheshire cat? :P

Hehe, we're all mad here ;)
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
Clearly you are clueless. I suggest you look at the work of Lawrence Krauss. Our ideas of what constitutes something and nothing are changing. Believe it or not there are extremely intelligent people still trying to figure out what is happening here... as opposed to making comments without knowing anything.
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#24 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]You've concluded nothing does not = something. How is that true?lo_Pine

You ever cut someone one zeroth of a pie?

No. But I know what having 0 pie is like.

haha
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I've always pondered the possibility. We've come to life once before, so it's not an impossibility that our conscious mind may recreate itself elsewhere, atom by atom, in a new brain, that's totally oblivious to past lives.

When you think of why we die in the the first place, to feed new life, it kind of makes you think. The only reason we don't like death is because it's a natural instinct to fear it. Then again, it was a natural instinct to fear fire, and look how good that stuff turned out to be!

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Reincarnation relies on the idea that consciousness survives death. Energy not being able to be destroyed is a law of Newtonian physics. I don't see how they are connected.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

On the atheist front, they cant answer how something came from nothing.

slipknot0129

Something comes from nothing all the time. Particles and anti-particles are all the time popping into and out of existence.

Try another argument.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
My theory is we evolved from some form of bacteria.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Well, I guess you were right if we all came from something. Even if nothing = something. Then what you said "since we exist there must have always been something" is true. So, is the perpetuation of the first something God, or is the perpetuation nothing?lo_Pine

So, in absolutes "either nothing is possible or everything is possible", does that mean the fact me and you are communicating right now is an event is evidence in the proof that that we are not simply nothing? If that's the case then we are both in the realm/dimension of something.

Going by my thought of everything or nothing, since we exist then every possibility will happen. So by luck I could die and live again with all my memory from this life. 

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Whats more believable? That something came from nothing or something came from something?

I believe in reincarnation. So there is at least some believability to work with. There is evidence of something.

On the atheist front, they cant answer how something came from nothing. There is no evidence that there was nothing from the beginning. 

So wouldnt that mean reincarnation is more believable than how we exist today?

slipknot0129
There is also no evidence that there was something from the beginning...and according to Lawrence Krauss, it depends on you definition of "nothing".
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts

What if God only created one person: you. Every single time you die, you get placed back into the world, past or present, to gain a new experience. Every single person you've come into contact with is just another form of you, at a different time.

Once you have learned all there is to learn, only then can you truly live.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I've always pondered the possibility. We've come to life once before, so it's not an impossibility that our conscious mind may recreate itself elsewhere, atom by atom, in a new brain, that's totally oblivious to past lives.sune_Gem

If it's totally oblivious to past lives then it's not really your conciousness anymore. It's someone else's. Another person with totally different life experiences, thoughts, feelings, awareness, etc.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

I've always pondered the possibility. We've come to life once before, so it's not an impossibility that our conscious mind may recreate itself elsewhere, atom by atom, in a new brain, that's totally oblivious to past lives.worlock77

If it's totally oblivious to past lives then it's not really your conciousness anymore. It's someone else's. Another person with totally different life experiences, thoughts, feelings, awareness, etc.

aaand /thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

I've always pondered the possibility. We've come to life once before, so it's not an impossibility that our conscious mind may recreate itself elsewhere, atom by atom, in a new brain, that's totally oblivious to past lives.wis3boi

aaand /thread

Not to mention if you believe karmatic reincarnation, you are being punished for what a completely different person with a different mindset/personality/experiences did in a life you had nothing to do with, or are being rewarded for someone elses work.
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

I've always pondered the possibility. We've come to life once before, so it's not an impossibility that our conscious mind may recreate itself elsewhere, atom by atom, in a new brain, that's totally oblivious to past lives.worlock77

So, would you consider someone who suffered fatal amnesia a different person?

I'm not saying I specifically believe in it all, I'm just saying it seems a more possible truth than a lot of other beliefs. The universe is always recycling things after all. Then again you can't share any sort of belief on AtheistSpot.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Let me ask you something.  Have you ever seen a real dinosaur?  Of course you haven't and you never will - FACT. 

That's because they never existed.  And science, heh heh science, is a lie. 

I mean have you actually ever seen a sperm?  We've all tried. 

All you have to do is read and understand the Epsilon tract and the secrets of the universe will be open to you.  This is a life altering experience.  All your mortal fears will be at ease. 

The Epsilon Program.  This time God, it's personal.

http://www.epsilonprogram.com/

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

I've always pondered the possibility. We've come to life once before, so it's not an impossibility that our conscious mind may recreate itself elsewhere, atom by atom, in a new brain, that's totally oblivious to past lives.sune_Gem

I'm not saying I specifically believe in it all, I'm just saying it seems a more possible truth than a lot of other beliefs. The universe is always recycling things after all. Then again you can't share any sort of belief on AtheistSpot.

"Fatal amnesia"? I've never heard of amnesia being fatal, but if it were that person would be dead. So yeah, that person would cease to exist. There are different kinds of amnesia but none really result in permanent loss of all memory.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sune_Gem

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

"Fatal amnesia"? I've never heard of amnesia being fatal, but if it were that person would be dead. So yeah, that person would cease to exist. There are different kinds of amnesia but none really result in permanent loss of all memory.

Now you're just finding words to pick at to avoid answering the obvious question that was asked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Now you're just finding words to pick at to avoid answering the obvious question that was asked.

I'd say they are different people, they would have none of the past relationships, experiences, memories, knowledge of the person before, and might even have completely different stances on most things because they don't remember why they dislike/liked it in the first place.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

How did I not answer the question? Do I need to spell it out for you? Amnesia doesn't really result in a permanent loss of all memory. So no, the person suffering from amnesia would not really be a different person.