Registering for next semesters classes, should I take C# or Java???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

Which do you all recommend? I'm more of a web developer and currently do HTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript so I would think Java would be the way to go...but I have an equal interest in C# and would love to learn that side of things as well. What do you all think?

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

I don't know about C# or Java but I do know a bit o C++. My teacher says it's best to learn C++ before Java because they're pretty similar. If C# is similar to C++ then I suggest you start with C# and then learn Java by yourself.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I don't know about C# or Java but I do know a bit o C++. My teacher says it's best to learn C++ before Java because they're pretty similar. If C# is similar to C++ then I suggest you start with C# and then learn Java by yourself.

lancea34
C# is just like java. It doesn't matter TC, I'd go with java first, since that's what I did. C# is much more similar to java than C++, also I'd probably learn java first than C++, since well C++ is harder.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Java first but since everyone here is saying C# is similar to Java then it doesn't matter in the end. But I gotta agree that C++ is more harder than Java.
lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordlunch2
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll go Java first then. Part of why I ask is I'm wondering which language is more useful today?
G13RainbowSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 G13RainbowSix
Member since 2005 • 908 Posts

Im in cs161 learning python which is so stupid as every cs162 class is c++ at my school. Also my prof doesnt even like/use python wtf?

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts
[QUOTE="lancea34"]

JigglyWiggly_
C# is just like java. It doesn't matter TC, I'd go with java first, since that's what I did. C# is much more similar to java than C++, also I'd probably learn java first than C++, since well C++ is harder.

C++ is harder? Then I guess I won't have problems learning other languages because I find C++ to be relatively easy.
jockie_chan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jockie_chan
Member since 2010 • 435 Posts

Which do you all recommend? I'm more of a web developer and currently do HTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript so I would think Java would be the way to go...but I have an equal interest in C# and would love to learn that side of things as well. What do you all think?

lordlunch2

don't be fooled by the words javascript, it has nothing to do with java apart from have the same 4 letters.

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lordlunch2

[QUOTE="lordlunch2"]

jockie_chan

don't be fooled by the words javascript, it has nothing to do with java apart from have the same 4 letters.

I know this lol, from what I can tell Javascript is the easiest crap alive compared to Java
xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts
C++ is harder? Then I guess I won't have problems learning other languages because I find C++ to be relatively easy.lancea34
Yeah I think C++ is harder too. It's just a bit more... technical than the newer ones. Java/C# are easy as pie to pick up.
jockie_chan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jockie_chan
Member since 2010 • 435 Posts

[QUOTE="lancea34"]

JigglyWiggly_

Well, C/C++ is the main programming language that both java and C# are derived from. Think of C++ as the father, so i'd think it'd make sense to learn that first. i also disagree about it being harder.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Learn Haskell like a boss. Java seems like it would be more suited to your web-ness, so it's probably the better choice. They're both fine languages that are demanded so you're not loosing out on too much regardless of what you take.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

C# is Microsoft's version of Java. It is mainly used for .NET programming. Java is more popularly used than C#. Both are "easier" than C++ in the sense that C# and Java hold your hand through every step (no memory management. Automated array-bounds checking. etc). Both require some grasp of OO-design to use effectively. I say learn Java unless you REALLY want to get into .NET in the future.

Learn Haskell like a boss.forgot_it

Hell no. Prolog is where it's at.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

If you can learn both, I'm in a class that teaches C#, Perl, LISP, ForTran, and COBOL, and this is after learning C++ in an earlier course.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If you can learn both, I'm in a class that teaches C#, Perl, LISP, ForTran, and COBOL, and this is after learning C++ in an earlier course.

CJL13
Who learns fortran in 2011?
waitaseck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 waitaseck
Member since 2006 • 2309 Posts
I'd go for Java, it's just more practical to know. A lot more things are coded in Java.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

JigglyWiggly_
Who learns fortran in 2011?

I think they just released Fortran09.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
You should go with Java first and take C# next semester.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

You should really learn PILOT or Logo.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Java, afterwards you can easily learn C# if you want but you'll find java more useful IMO.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

You should really go for C# if you're ever planning on actually working in this field.

Java is a jdecent language on its own, except its pretty much junk in any kind of business environment. The one and only advantage on Java is platform independance - and im not aware of a single instance of Java where thats actually used on a regular basis.

You'll get a hell of a lot more "real-world" experience using C#. If you need any more proof, feel free to look at any job recruiting site and search between C# and Java, and i can promise you you'll get far more C# hits.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#22 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Java is a jdecent language on its own, except its pretty much junk in any kind of business environment. The one and only advantage on Java is platform independance - and im not aware of a single instance of Java where thats actually used on a regular basis.XaosII

I think by "this industry" you mean games. I can't argue that C# isn't more useful in that arena, but as someone who has worked for many many years in corporate business software, Microsoft's .NET environment has not come close yet to replacing J2EE in enterprise software. Java is used far more widely than C# for most business applications, particularly large enterprise applications that require platform independence.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

For web Java is more useful i think but a lot of companies do use C# to make dynamic pages with ASP.net. Also take a clas in SQL if you haven't already and possibly something including OLAP DBs, big sites are really just database frontends.