Recommend some good horror books?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'm a huge horror fan when it comes to books, my favourite of course is Stephen King. I've read and enjoyed every one of his books. I also enjoy short story anthologies (Best New Horror is great for this), but having trouble finding some good new authors or books. What are some of your favourites?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I read Stephen King's IT last year and really enjoyed it, didn't so much care for how it ended, seemed kind of redundant in the sense it basically overlaps the confrontation with the monster when they were kids and again when they were adults back to back... other than that though the rest of the book was pretty good, really hooked me and was an easy page turner for such a large book. I was going to recommend that personally but being as you're already a King fan I figure you have. I read it back when I heard that there's plans to re-adapt it to film. I started The Shining but never finished. Keep thinking of starting it over but I start reading something else. Want to go back to finish it though to read Dr Sleep.

Anyhow, I'd like to read more Stephen King, being as you're a big fan it'd be nice to know which books of his were your favorite.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 immortality20

@lamprey263 said:

I read Stephen King's IT last year and really enjoyed it, didn't so much care for how it ended, seemed kind of redundant in the sense it basically overlaps the confrontation with the monster when they were kids and again when they were adults back to back... other than that though the rest of the book was pretty good, really hooked me and was an easy page turner for such a large book. I was going to recommend that personally but being as you're already a King fan I figure you have. I read it back when I heard that there's plans to re-adapt it to film. I started The Shining but never finished. Keep thinking of starting it over but I start reading something else. Want to go back to finish it though to read Dr Sleep.

Anyhow, I'd like to read more Stephen King, being as you're a big fan it'd be nice to know which books of his were your favorite.

While I enjoyed all of his work for the most part, the top books (that you didn't mention) are probably The Dark Tower series, The Stand, Salem's Lot, Misery, Carrie, Pet Semetary and Insomnia. I could just keep on going though, what an author.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Swan Song by Robert McCammon. It's a pretty terrific post-apocalyptic book.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Alan Moore's run of "Swamp Thing".

Granted, it's a comic, but Moore fully and completely grasps what "horror" is and how to utilize it to maximum effect.

Also, "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski might apply as well. More experimental fiction that straight horror, but it can be unsettling at times (just not in a grotesque or disgusting manner).

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Alvin Schwartz has some scary books like his Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series, though they are meant for children, they are still creepy. And the art, well, that stuff is not suitable for children.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By immortality20

@foxhound_fox said:

Alan Moore's run of "Swamp Thing".

Granted, it's a comic, but Moore fully and completely grasps what "horror" is and how to utilize it to maximum effect.

Also, "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski might apply as well. More experimental fiction that straight horror, but it can be unsettling at times (just not in a grotesque or disgusting manner).

I heard lots of great things of Swamp Thing, have to pick up some graphic novels sometime. As for House of Leaves, I did read it but not a huge fan, maybe because of the style. It was just kind of hard to keep interested and be a page turner for me.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I've mostly read Stephen King, but I remember The Damnation Game by Clive Barker being quite good.

I don't read much horror. I'm more of medieval fantasy/scifi/post-apocalyptic kind of guy.