Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Title says it all!

Would appreciate any recommendations you have. I'm not the biggest anime fan, but it's something I can enjoy :D And there is a metric crap-ton of it on streaming services, it seems.

To give you some idea, a lot of Anime I've enjoyed in the past is either really cute and sweet, or totally screwed up.

• Every Studio Ghibli film I've seen:
    • Princess Mononoke
    • Ponyo
    • Grave of the Fireflies
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Spirited Away
  • Elfen Lied: the violence was entertaining, and I sort of enjoyed the whole dual-personality aspect of it, sort of how these people love this young girl who has done horrible things.
  • Ninja Scroll: what can I say, I enjoy some ****ed up stuff.
  • Kill la Kill: I enjoyed the very self-aware, self-deprecating humor of how it more or less pokes fun at itself and anime in general. It got a little old, though, after a while.
  • One Punch Man: probably the funniest anime I've seen in my life.
  • Castlevania: it was a short series but I enjoyed it for the most part.
  • Honorable mentions: non-anime but sort of like anime, and other mature animation:
    • Most of the DC animated films
    • Justice League/Justice League unlimited

Hope that helps. Thank you! :D

*thread title updated to clarify this is an "or" option

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Have you seen the film Pom Poko? Gate, Space Battleship Yamato and of course Attack on Titan are also great.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

My recommendation is to stop relying on streaming services like Netflix and watch the shows, in this case anime, you actually want to watch. Yes, you'll potentially be spending more money, but you'll be using the little time you have in this world better.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

You’d enjoy Higurashi. (When They Cry) It’s not on Netflix though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@mandzilla said:

Have you seen the film Pom Poko? Gate, Space Battleship Yamato and of course Attack on Titan are also great.

Yes I enjoyed Attack on Titan a lot!

Space Battleship Yamato sounds good

@ezekiel43 said:

My recommendation is to stop relying on streaming services like Netflix and watch the shows, in this case anime, you actually want to watch. Yes, you'll potentially be spending more money, but you'll be using the little time you have in this world better.

That is a very good idea, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions as far as what to watch?

Is Crunchyroll a good service? Or do they just do anime news?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

That is a very good idea, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions as far as what to watch?

Is Crunchyroll a good service? Or do they just do anime news?

I don't suggest anime or much of anything anymore. Usually feels like a wasted effort. People can be so particular. Small chance that they'll watch it and smaller chance that they'll like it.

I've never used Crunchyroll. I don't like streaming that much.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I'm just gonna mention shows, I don't know if they are on streaming services.

Ghost in the Shell (GITS), don't go by the movie.

Sword Art: Online (SAO), its for gaming fans.

Initial D, very old, but if you're a car fan, its for you.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

If you like Rocky I'd recommend Hajime no Ippo. Don't think it's on Steaming services or even an English dub, which is odd, it's really good.

Loading Video...

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I binge stuff on Funimation sometimes for a month since it's $6 for 1 month. There's a free trial as well for maybe 1 or 2 weeks. Some stuff that I know is on there that I'd recommend is Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Steins; Gate, Tokyo Ghoul, and Psycho-Pass. I'm pretty sure Death Note and/or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are on Netflix and those 2 are definitely some of my favorites.

Anyway, I've had a decent experience with Funimation, although lately I've been having to refresh videos and sit through it randomly lowering the resolution from time to time even though I have 1080p selected and a fast internet connection.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mrbojangles25: it has to be avaible on both amazon and Netflix ?

Not either or ?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25

@thehig1 said:

@mrbojangles25: it has to be avaible on both amazon and Netflix ?

Not either or ?

either one, I have a subscription to Netflix and Amazon Prime (so I get Amazon Video).

Thank you for pointing that out, thread title updated

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@SoNin360 said:

I binge stuff on Funimation sometimes for a month since it's $6 for 1 month. There's a free trial as well for maybe 1 or 2 weeks. Some stuff that I know is on there that I'd recommend is Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Steins; Gate, Tokyo Ghoul, and Psycho-Pass. I'm pretty sure Death Note and/or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are on Netflix and those 2 are definitely some of my favorites.

Anyway, I've had a decent experience with Funimation, although lately I've been having to refresh videos and sit through it randomly lowering the resolution from time to time even though I have 1080p selected and a fast internet connection.

Yeah seems like at least half the anime I enjoy is from Funimation haha

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mrbojangles25: would have been a seroous limitation on what people could recommend if that was the case lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've noticed a lot of these places have "if you liked ____, you might also enjoy ____, _____, and ________" so that's handy. It works about half the time for movies and shows might be somewhat successful with anime.

The only problem is...anime fans tend to really like their shows. I've never seen so many things rated five stars in my life. I mean, The Godfather is rated four stars, but Samurai Champloo is five?

@thehig1 said:

@mrbojangles25: would have been a seroous limitation on what people could recommend if that was the case lol

haha right?