really late saying this but i miss the old GS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slvrraven9 (9254 posts) -

let me start by saying that i just came back to GS today after having been away for about a year almost. first off...didnt know that its a jumbled cluttered mess on I.E. so i now HAD to install Chrome (not really a firefox fan) just to view the website....i miss the old links and things that i at least sometimes used...others im fine without and a few other things on here. and on top of it all, i miss the soft black welcoming background that i dont have to adjust my brightness for.

Meh, i guess ill adjust to it in time....how did you guys adjust at first? i know its been a minute for most of you all.

#2 Posted by foxhound_fox (96695 posts) -

I don't.

#3 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

I have severely limited my time on GS and the forums since the change. I have been pretty much told that I need to use a different browser than the one I prefer due to this new site being built to newer browser engine standards. That still does not account for others who are using the other browsers that meet them who are still having problems.

#4 Posted by nait2k4 (73 posts) -

I actually like the forums a little more than I used to, but the main site is a big pain in the ass. I'll get used to it, I imagine, around the same time as they schedule the next big series of changes :)

#5 Edited by CrimsonOtaku (25 posts) -

Yeah. There's a learning curve to the new layout, but I'll get used to it.

#6 Posted by Paragoob (31 posts) -

I disagree, this new GameSpot looks great in my opinion, could be a bit tidier but I like it more than IGN's current layout.

#7 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

i miss the features.

still waiting on a reliable way to tell if we have read a thread or not. and still waiting for a way to go to the first unread post in a thread.

i find myself spending more time at /b/ now than here.

#8 Posted by Trail_Mix (2579 posts) -

I still like the old better, but meh, I've gotten used to this one.

#9 Edited by sukraj (27268 posts) -

I like the new one.

#10 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I don't.

#11 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I miss the design circa 2007. Seems like every time they change it it gets more jumbled and difficult to navigate.

#12 Edited by curono (7713 posts) -

I miss the old days when people wanted to discuss and propose topics. Now I can leave and return a few days later... and there are not really new topics.

#13 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

The old site was better and if you think you'll get used to this one good luck with that...

#14 Posted by Gaming-Planet (18647 posts) -

I still don't know where after hours is at.

#15 Edited by HALO2cookie (5846 posts) -

The new one is way better.. not.

#16 Edited by Horgen (116397 posts) -

I miss the features we had in the old design... Wish they spent more time getting things done before they rolled this out. And making the site "lighter" somehow... It feels so heavy...

Other than that... I am starting to like it. The general design at least. And that we all can post youtube vids now I think.

#17 Posted by Ugalde- (3701 posts) -

I just hate how my sig and avy got removed. I had my sig forever, but I don't have it saved on my computer. Now really sure how to get it back now.

#18 Posted by quadraleap (36553 posts) -

Im still getting used to it myself...with mixed feelings. Ugh, gotta learn it over again, assuming it works correctly. ;)

#19 Edited by KittenNipples (3013 posts) -

Its still taking some getting use too. I dont mind most of the changes and I love that the video player works well now.

#20 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

I still don't know where after hours is at.

It no longer exists.

#21 Posted by _en1gma_ (14934 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I don't.

#22 Posted by playmynutz (7877 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77: that blows

OT vets shouldn't give up, imagine posting here 30+ Years from now

#23 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

This site has many faults. I really do not like reporting as many as I do in the Bug and Feedback Forum. Besides that place, the evidence is apparent everywhere in the site from the video player to the blogs, notifications, and stacks. There should have been more use of the betas because it was not ready in October to be overall better than the old site. It remains in the same condition despite modifications. Though the basic needs are met which are basic, but limited functionality, and good users I talk with, I need more from a website I access daily.

#24 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

This site has many faults. I really do not like reporting as many as I do in the Bug and Feedback Forum. Besides that place, the evidence is apparent everywhere in the site from the video player to the blogs, notifications, and stacks. There should have been more use of the betas because it was not ready in October to be overall better than the old site. It remains in the same condition despite modifications. Though the basic needs are met which are basic, but limited functionality, and good users I talk with, I need more from a website I access daily.

I have stated that this place wasn't ready for prime time often in the Bug Reporting and Feedback forum as well as the fact that they needed more people to beta test this so they are at least aware of that one true fact. They still have image issues though they locked the one thread that was pinned about it (as well as unpinned it). They are also locking threads about the place sucking (I can almost understand that), but the fact remains, they really need to get things fixed before that add more features.

Today alone, I have gotten errors from my browser with the page not loading or the pages taking an extraordinary long time to load. It also appears that GS needs more servers or a better server to support this site. That CBS didn't think this through is readily apparent and has been since the changeover.

#25 Edited by dave123321 (35329 posts) -

Site was down for me since late last night till now

#26 Edited by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

its so fucking slow today. what the ****?

took about 3 minutes just to load this page.

its been what, a month since this new "better" site launched? and all they have really done is put our usernames and post count under our avatars and put the link to the main board at the bottom of the page.

we have made countless threads requesting simple features that the old site had, that made posting nice and easy. but still, nothing.

keeping up with threads now is a chore.

and when the **** are they gonna start bringing over the other boards? i was told that OTAH was actually a i pretty highly trafficked board and there is a good chance it will be brought back. but at this rate, i highly doubt it.

im trying real hard to be optimistic about this site and this forum. but this place is barren and slow now. i find myself spending less and less time here. i used to spend hours here at a time. now i usually drop in for about 15 minutes a day, sometimes ill post a thing or two. and the next day i wont miss a damn thing, the topics move at a snails pace.

#27 Posted by TAMKFan (33250 posts) -

I miss the features from the old site, such as the unions and levels. I can see why they did this revamped design, but for right now, things just feel lacking, compared to the old site.

#28 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77: I think the staff is being cautious about which users they reciprocate after the effects of a previous major change to the site (ToU becoming relaxed and users unbanned) were not beneficial to site activity. I do not have any empirical data of the decrease in traffic, but any forum regular of the past few years could make a declaration of truth similar to my own. You have been here for years, so I imagine you noticed for example. I just hope the next time major changes occur, the staff views opinions more objectively than in the past and do not succumb to the effects of skillful persuasion.

#29 Posted by GrayF0X786 (4185 posts) -

it has become boring.

#30 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12605 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@WhiteKnight77: I think the staff is being cautious about which users they reciprocate after the effects of a previous major change to the site (ToU becoming relaxed and users unbanned) were not beneficial to site activity. I do not have any empirical data of the decrease in traffic, but any forum regular of the past few years could make a declaration of truth similar to my own. You have been here for years, so I imagine you noticed for example. I just hope the next time major changes occur, the staff views opinions more objectively than in the past and do not succumb to the effects of skillful persuasion.

Yes, I have been a GS member for quite some time (10+ years) and have noticed the changes and have stated in a different thread on OT about why it has slowed down. I honestly thing some of the changes have caused people to leave. Some of the best forums I have been a part of banned topics on religion, politics and didn't allow cursing and flaming/trolling and time and again, people have stated that they love how well behaved people were and how much they preferred those forums over others such as here. Few people were banned at those forums.

Letting people run rampant can have adverse affects and if one looks back, some of those who advocated for the free-for-all atmosphere here left after the changes and haven't been back. Would increasing the strictness of the ToU bring people back? Not necessarily, but it would do much to keep those who are are still here, here.

That GS needs to reboot the website and make changes and get wanted features (even if the unions are not but comparable forums for those who wanted their union brought over) implemented before opening it up unlike this monstrosity.

#31 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

well the new gamespot finally works on my cell phone so i guess that is a plus.

#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161972 posts) -

@konvikt_17 said:

i miss the features.

still waiting on a reliable way to tell if we have read a thread or not. and still waiting for a way to go to the first unread post in a thread.

i find myself spending more time at /b/ now than here.

This. And sometimes when I try to cut down the quote chain...the entire fucking thing disappears. Also....stacks are unwieldy and not as good as the old collections were. Hard to find new blogs etc. I don't mind the generic new look per se....but it just doesn't work as well.

Everything is more difficult to find.

#33 Posted by PsychoLemons (3163 posts) -

It could have been better.

#34 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9513 posts) -

It's garbage and the forums are slower than goddamn ever before.

The site loads slow, there is no incentive to post and finding forums is a nightmare of clutter and confusion.

#35 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1791 posts) -

this new mess is boring and professional. not good for an off topic forum.

#36 Posted by Truf89 (4680 posts) -

I miss it too. In terms of content.. However the design is really nice to look at. But a lot is gone now.