LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Its that time of year here, Hallows Eve and its all about a good scare.

Name me the scariest movies please. I have some nephews at age 12 and 13 who say they have never seen a scary movie. That the scariest was the exorcist. Well i don't think i can beat that, but there has to be scary movie out there that are truly scary.

For me it was Poltergeist, them movies were great. Please help me out with some scary movies you know. Share some of your scariest line up. I sure would like to put out some thrillers that will send chills up their spines.

Righty on OT !

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Horror movies that still (well kinda) scares me are:

• The Conjuring
  • Pumpkinhead series
  • Village of the Damned
  • Inside
  • Friday the 13th (come on now, it maybe dated but gotta admit, the nostalgia still get's ya)
  • The Cabin in the Woods (now this is some scary shit man, check it out)
  • The Omen (2006)
  • Misery (It did scared me as a kid but I guess it's worth check for a 1990)
  • Evil Dead
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (Classic but still gives ya nightmares)
  • Child's Play

The scariest movie for me has got to be: "IT" the new version, not the old one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

Movies aren't really scary, ever. Unless in the sense of "it's scary that people like this" or "this was so wonderful it's kind of scary".

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Ghost Ship. The part where the thieves killed all the VIPs (aka passengers) attending a ball. Dying by (high speed) steel cable is a gruesome way to go.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

The Shining

Evil Dead (Couldn't stop jumping)

Suspria (MUST WATCH!)

Carrie

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Have never been scared by grotesque or violent scenes in horror movies. War movies scare me more than horror movies, things like "we know Charlie is out there, take the point and draw him out." Don't know how those soldiers did it and kept their cool.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
  • Insidious
  • Pontypool (not the scariest but really interesting story)
  • It Follows
  • The Descent (original UK cut)
  • [REC] (the Spanish film that Quarantine was based on)
  • Alien

-Byshop

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

the Exorcist and The Omen. Period.

The thought of invisible evil forces is scary to me when it comes to true demons.

Oh wait, the first Alien was scary to me also. You just never knew where they would get you from.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

The only movie I have seen that legit frightened me was the first time I saw exorcist.

Sometimes jump scared work, but most scary movies aren't psychologically frightening.

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

The Thing (1982)

Jaws

Hell House LLC

The Babadook

Halloween 1+2

The Witch

The Descent (original ending)

Jacob's Ladder

The Devil's Candy

The Hills Have Eyes

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (old one)

Blair Witch Project

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

@InEMplease said:

INORITE?!?!?! The US release ruined the film.

-Byshop

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

@Byshop: They gotdang tried 'a ruin it with that BS pampered ending, they did.

And in case you haven't seen the Descent 2, avoid that movie at all costs. It sucks enormous donkey dick.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

1. EVIL DEAD

2.HELLRAISER

3.JU ON THE GRUDGE 1 and 2

4.RING

5.THE CURSE

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Paranormal Activity.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

The only movie I have been literary scared of is The Babadook. All others movies are about loud noise factor to scare you and make you jump where the sound is very low and all of a sudden boom. But the The Babadook for some reason scared the shit out of me and probably will never watch it again.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

@InEMplease said:

@Byshop: They gotdang tried 'a ruin it with that BS pampered ending, they did.

And in case you haven't seen the Descent 2, avoid that movie at all costs. It sucks enormous donkey dick.

As if the US version ending weren't bad enough, the sequel was based off the US ending of the film. Plus they changed the setting to the US. Plus multiple characters who died for sure in the original version survived. Plus... it was a travesty.

-Byshop

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LexLas

@AFBrat77 said:

The thought of invisible evil forces is scary to me when it comes to true demons.

Oh wait, the first Alien was scary to me also. You just never knew where they would get you from.

Aha, The Omen classic. After reading most of your posts the issue is kids these days aren't afraid of blood, violence. Grusome is different then scary. Scary though is like The omen here, Halloween Mike Myers, all pretty good. But really scary is what i'm looking for. Like MaMa was not so bad, but i am searching for even scarier. What is The Babadook ? Never heard of this movie. I also have not heard of INORITE ? @Byshop you say the US version messed it up, where is it originally from ?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@LexLas said:
@AFBrat77 said:

Aha, The Omen classic. After reading most of your posts the issue is kids these days aren't afraid of blood, violence. Grusome is different then scary. Scary though is like The omen here, Halloween Mike Myers, all pretty good. But really scary is what i'm looking for. Like MaMa was not so bad, but i am searching for even scarier. What is The Babadook ? Never heard of this movie. I also have not heard of INORITE ? @Byshop you say the US version messed it up, where is it originally from ?

It's from the UK, hence everyone speaking British instead of American. ;)

-Byshop

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LexLas

@Byshop said:
@LexLas said:
@AFBrat77 said:

-Byshop

That'll be a challenge to watch, lol ..

Loading Video...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Byshop  Moderator
@LexLas said:
@Byshop said:
@LexLas said:

-Byshop

That'll be a challenge to watch, lol ..

I kid. They all are very posh so they are easy to understand.

Babadook is pretty good but it's not the scariest which is why I didn't throw it in my list.

-Byshop

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58949 Posts

And Shining.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Byshop said:
@InEMplease said:

-Byshop

does the OG ending not involve the monsters showing up? I loved this film when the horror came from them being stuck in a cave until the usual gorefest began

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator

@with_teeth26 said:
@Byshop said:
@InEMplease said:

-Byshop

does the OG ending not involve the monsters showing up? I loved this film when the horror came from them being stuck in a cave until the usual gorefest began

Here's the original ending:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/25/the-descent-horror-clip

The US ending is the same, but it cuts out at the at 3:25 at which point the credits roll. Sarah falls when trying to climb up and hits her head. She then gets up and notices a ray of sunshine she didn't see before and climbs to what ends up being a way out of the caves. She gets out, escapes to her car, drives away before she stops to vomit and is then startled by the appearance of a dead Juno in the passenger seat (presumably a trauma-induced hallucination as this movie isn't about ghosts/spirits). This ends the film on a typical Hollywood shlocky horror movie final jump scare, and it makes very little sense because they were very far underground and suddenly she just finds an exit to the surface that was nearby the whole time? The appearance of Juno in the passenger seat also doesn't really fit the tone of the rest of the movie.

The additional footage reveals after the jump scare that she's still on the ground where she hit her head and the last three and a half minutes were just a hopeful dream. She's still in the cave, only now she sees her dead daughter in front of her alive with a birthday cake lit with candles in place of the campfire. Sarah looks at her daughter and, even covered in blood, looks truly happy. The camera pans back showing that the daughter and the cake aren't really there, and Sarah just sits there smiling having basically completely retreated into her own mind and in reality resigning herself to the fact that she's going to die down there as the sounds of the creatures approaching gets louder and louder.

It's only an extra minute and a half or so of footage, but it COMPLETELY changes the tone of the ending from a typical "the final girl gets away" horror trope to something much deeper and sadder, and ultimately far more depressing. The US producers probably thought the original ending was too big a downer.

Side note: The US edited ending was basically used as canon for the second film in which Sarah escapes the cave and runs to the police to tell them about how all her friends got eaten by a bunch of CHUDs.

-Byshop

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 with_teeth26

@Byshop said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Byshop said:
@InEMplease said:

-Byshop

thanks, yea I saw the US ending then.

still, doesn't really fix my main problem with the film but thats definitely a more original ending.

I just dont generally get scared by the usual paranormal/supernatural gore fests that 90% of horror films turn into. I loved the first half of that film though.

I'll contribute to this thread:

Don't Breath. More believable premise and lots of great suspense.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@with_teeth26 said:
@Byshop said:
@with_teeth26 said:

thanks, yea I saw the US ending then.

still, doesn't really fix my main problem with the film but thats definitely a more original ending.

I just dont generally get scared by the usual paranormal/supernatural gore fests that 90% of horror films turn into. I loved the first half of that film though.

I'll contribute to this thread:

Don't Breath. More believable premise and lots of great suspense.

Don't Breathe was good. If you liked that one, check out Hush. You're Next isn't too bad, either.

-Byshop

VRex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VRex7
Member since 2017 • 49 Posts

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is super creepy!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 with_teeth26

@Byshop said:

Don't Breathe was good. If you liked that one, check out Hush. You're Next isn't too bad, either.

-Byshop

cheers, i'll check those out

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

@with_teeth26 said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

cheers, i'll check those out

Also check out "It Comes at Night". "The Transfiguration" is also pretty messed up. Both of these I think would be up your alley.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

As for the thread:

Autopsy of Jane Doe is also a recent and decent horror film.

Oooooh, and I forgot Ouija: Origin of Evil. It's a sequel to the mediocre Ouija that takes place prior to the original, but it's directed by a much better director (Mike Flanagan, the director of Hush). I'd say watch Ouija first even though it's not that great, because the story ties together with the second movie.

-Byshop