Ready Player One (movie)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

This movie looks really interesting yet I hear no one talking about it. What's up with that? It's Steven fucking Spielberg doing sci-fi, and he's generally had a good reputation with sci-fi (Close Encounters of the Third Kind all the way up to Minority Report).

Ready Player One - if it turns out to be an excellent film - looks like it will be another film that captures gaming culture in modest ways...Could it join the leagues of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Wreck-It Ralph as far as encompassing geek culture goes?

What do you guys think of it? This one looks particularly interesting because it looks into the future of VR technology.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Ready Player One like Funko Pops is something I just can't understand.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@jaydan:

I'm afraid of it having the Wreck-It-Ralph effect. A movie with famous franchises as a gimmick but the rest of the movie is generally uninteresting.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

Did you ready Ready Player One book by any chance?

Ready Player One looks like it should be fine but my biggest gripe is, I can tell already it's going to be a nostalgia filled movie but it's going to be "cool" for a nerdy nerd. What I mean is in the book, the pop culture references (if you can even call it "pop" culture) is Dungeons and Dragons and Atari 2600 and that is nerdy even by nerdy standards. Is this movie gonna reference Zork and Tomb of Horrors and Dungeons of Dagorath?

I can already tell some people are gonna be pissed with replacing Ultraman in favor of the Iron Giant and this is coming from a Ultraman fan -_-

I don't know why, but suddenly I feel like I want to see this very badly now. It could be that "Jump" triggered some nostalgia feels for the original Power Rangers movie. That wasn't Jump, though but it was Van Halen.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, it´s a Spielberg movie so it can´t be that bad.

So I will def. give it a watch

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jaydan

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@jaydan:

I'm afraid of it having the Wreck-It-Ralph effect. A movie with famous franchises as a gimmick but the rest of the movie is generally uninteresting.

I disagree with your point on Wreck-It Ralph. When that movie was new my biggest worry was it was just going to be a cameo showcase, sacrificing character and story. The movie had plentiful gaming easter eggs, but it never got in the way of the story. I thought Wreck-It Ralph had an endearing coming-of-age story of acceptance and it felt more like a Pixar movie to me. Honestly of all the Disney Animation films made over the last ten years, Wreck-It Ralph was probably my favorite. Zootopia was awesome too, but Wreck-It Ralph to me...had a lot of sentimental feels when I watched it.

DumbDonald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DumbDonald
Member since 2012 • 77 Posts

Spielberg is beyond great but I fear he is out of his element here.

I feel like with this movie he is trying to hard to understand millenials

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@DumbDonald said:

Spielberg is beyond great but I fear he is out of his element here.

I feel like with this movie he is trying to hard to understand millenials

The source material is not written for millenials; if anything, it's was made for parents of millenials. Most of the references are from things that occured in the late 70's and early 80's. Hell I am a 34 year old nerd myself and I had to look up a lot of the stuff, too.

Glad I did. Discovered Rush's 2112 album and, oooooh my. Not sure how I missed that one haha.

But yeah when I started seeing Iron Giant, Tracer from Overwatch, and a bunch of other junk I was like "hmmm, that's a little too relevant". But, in the context of the book, it takes place in the future so Overwatch is going to be something only a 40 year old would have experienced (as opposed to some kid now).

TL;DR: looking forward to it, the book is great and Spielberg is awesome. But a little skeptical.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

It looks terrible.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

@jaydan: If you really want to know more on Ready Player One before seeing the movie, you should at least read the book if haven't already, give it a shot. If you were a nerdy kid in the 80's, there's plenty of nostalgia to be had. And while the plot isn't anything truly spectacular in it's own right, it's entertaining enough to keep you interested. However, I WOULDN'T recommend the second book, Armada. Seriously, if you want to write a derivative mashup of Last Starfighter and Iron Eagle, it's probably best to be subtle, NOT directly reference both films in the text.

I liked the book but it's not much more than a nostalgic trip, at least for me anyways and I think the movie is pushing that even more than the book did. Either way, I'll see it if for nothing else than to see why the book is better.

DwarccaNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DwarccaNation
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

read the book can't wait for the movie. They better not mess it up like every game related movie

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan

@davillain-: At both of your posts, that's pretty interesting how the book is more 80's than the movie, but it makes sense to me. It sounds like maybe it has to do with demographics between a novel and a movie, and both have a lot to do with pop culture from everything I'm learning. With that said, do you think it's acceptable if the movie is good to have pop culture more relevant to 21st-Century?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Ah, Rush 2112, one of my favorite albums in high school.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

I can feel the "Pixel" movie vibe here.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

The book was all kinds of awesome. Not holding out the most hope for the movie though. Like a few other people in this thread, I had to research a little bit to some of the references, but was thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.

Has anyone read Ernest Cline's second book, Armada? That's very good too.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Eh, it looks really good in ads. However, I get the sinking feeling it will not live up to gamer expectations.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

I think I should watch Sword Art Online instead than this but I might give this movie a try soon, maybe.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jaydan

@shellcase86: The nice thing about Steven Spielberg is, he's not only one of the greatest and influential filmmaker's still working today, he's also been very open over the years about his love for gaming and he's even created a few indie titles here and there. Spielberg is actually a gamer himself, and that gives me a boost of optimism that he'll likely captivate gaming culture modestly because he happens to be a part of it.

I predict at the very lowest, Ready Player One can at least an average film. I hope it's an amazing one, but for anyone to predict it will suck means going against Spielberg's mostly consistent track-record of making quality films including many which people swear as some of the greatest films ever created.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Loved the book, movie looks like it will be shit. Hopefully I'm wrong.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

I read the book last week, I see much potential but not sure this will live up to it, judging from the trailer they already drastically mutilated things. Probably would have been better as a Netflix mini-series. Still, I'll watch it, I expect a lot of liberties will be taken with the source stuff and try judging it for what it tries to do.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@stormcast said:

It looks terrible.

Exactly. Not going to waste my time on it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

@jaydan said:

@shellcase86: The nice thing about Steven Spielberg is, he's not only one of the greatest and influential filmmaker's still working today, he's also been very open over the years about his love for gaming and he's even created a few indie titles here and there. Spielberg is actually a gamer himself, and that gives me a boost of optimism that he'll likely captivate gaming culture modestly because he happens to be a part of it.

I predict at the very lowest, Ready Player One can at least an average film. I hope it's an amazing one, but for anyone to predict it will suck means going against Spielberg's mostly consistent track-record of making quality films including many which people swear as some of the greatest films ever created.

Fair points. I definitely do want to see it.