Re-watch Dragon Ball GT, why was GT hated among fans?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

It's been a long time since I watch the series on Cartoon Network Toonami many years ago and love it. I didn't follow the fans on this though and after re-watching GT, what went wrong with this series? I thought it was awesome and Goku and Pan are my favorite Z Fighters.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I used to watch it on the same channel too. Remembered it broadcast between the hours of 4pm - 6pm. I like GT. Probably rank it as Z > Dragonball > GT > the rest.

I, too, question why people don't like GT.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

It sucks like all other versions of Dragonball.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

Not really sure why people hate on GT. I always thought it had better pacing than most of Z, though I guess it wasn't as funny.

Maybe that's the problem. Not enough jokes.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Plot holes was why I remember giving up on GT. They started with Buu, but seriously ramped it up with GT. I never actually finished GT ultimately.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts
Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

Oh I can answer this, and this is coming from a long time Dragon ball/Z/Kai/Super fan for a long time. First let me say I personally don't hate GT, I just didn't like how the series started out.

Full of plot holes, full of pointless plots that doesn't go anywhere, full of disappointing fights, and the series never got better after Z. Sadly, most Dragon Ball Z fans didn't like GT because it does not follow the manga and it is not "Canon" to be part of DBZ. Toriyama was experimenting something and that something was giving the series to somebody else. They downgraded so many characters in the series. The producers ruined the potential of Pan, Bulla, and other characters, but my personal grip (and other fans out their) is the Saiyan females in this series never turn to Super Saiyans. Is it so hard for the producers to have a female Saiyan turn Super Saiyans? they made a false statement that Pan (Bulla) cannot turn super Saiyan because she is 1/4 Saiyan, however her great grandson or grandson Goku Jr. who is 1/16 Saiyan can turn into a super Saiyan. This action make me believe the producers are sexist or lack imagination, I'm gonna go with the letter and say it was sexist, fans were hyping Pan to be the first super Saiyan female in the Dragon Ball universe but it never happened. Then they made up a reason stating they do not know what a female super Saiyan looks like. (Facepalm) Explain why their are female super Saiyans in Dragon Ball: Heroes and Dragon Ball: Online and not in the main series? (I was upset about that part) I mean, they never allowed female fighters to shine in the series. The female fighter that had her moment was Android 18 beating the daylights out of Vegeta, but that was only it.

I loved the Golden great ape form and super Saiyan 4, personally I like the Baby Saga, I find the Shadow Dragon Saga to be okayish, the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga was most likely my least favorite thing about Dragon Ball GT ever and the only thing I liked about the Super 17 Saga was Vegeta's Final Shine Attack moment. I did like Omega Shenron though despite he's just a generic final boss character and he doesn't have much character other then what other villains have but Baby saga was way better.

Dragon Ball GT had lots of problems and it's really just a spin-off from the main series and when Battle of Gods came into the fray, it was basically telling fans to forget about GT, it's an alternate universe and Dragon Ball: Super is what GT should have been.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

I think GT was cool and still cool. But probably because I was a kid then and just want to enjoy my anime. Anyhow GT definitely have one of the best japan opening track ever, the song is awesome!

Also super saiyan 4 and super saiyan 5 tranformation is epic as heck. Still dont remembers a thing about the last 20 episodes though, only remembers the last spirit bomb part.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

What @davillain- said, GT sucked.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19542 Posts

It wasn't bad, but GT just wasn't as good as DB or DBZ. But the same could also be said for DBS, which also isn't as good as DB or DBZ.