Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3801 Posts

10 being the best

• Movies 7/10: 2010 movies started off strong but has got worst in the last few years IMO.
  • Video Games 8/10: Great decade for gaming but not as good as the 00's for me.
  • TV series 9/10 Some of the best shows have come from this decade like Mr. Robot and Black Mirror ect..
  • Music 1/10 Worst decade of music since I have been alive and it's only getting worst but hey that's just my opinion man.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45408 Posts

@warmblur said:

10 being the best

• Movies 7/10: 2010 movies started off strong but has got worst in the last few years IMO.
  • TV series 9/10 Some of the best shows have come from this decade like Mr. Robot and Black Mirror ect..
  • Music 1/10 Worst decade of music since I have been alive and it's only getting worst but hey that's just my opinion man.

Yeah I kind of agree.

Everything was pretty good except for music, it just got worse and it wasn't exactly great in the 2000's to be frank.

That's not to say there is no good music out there, it's just the shit on the radio and what passes at mainstream is shit. You really gotta dig for the good stuff and frankly that turns a lot of people off. Plus you mention "indie" music and people sometimes have an automatic, negative reaction to it.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warmblur

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

10 being the best

Yeah I kind of agree.

Everything was pretty good except for music, it just got worse and it wasn't exactly great in the 2000's to be frank.

That's not to say there is no good music out there, it's just the shit on the radio and what passes at mainstream is shit. You really gotta dig for the good stuff and frankly that turns a lot of people off. Plus you mention "indie" music and people sometimes have an automatic, negative reaction to it.

For me music took a turn for the worst in the late 90's and never recovered. I never mention indie music though I'm not sure where you saw that?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 5348 Posts

I'll rate it a solid 5 out of 10.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6744 Posts

Eh a 7/10 overall. I don't watch much TV but personally this decade TV is great compared to 90s all to 2000s.

For movies and music, international films and music getting lots of noise which some music were absolutely amazing while others one of the worst like KPOP (BTS, Twice). Watched lots of Bollywood, Japanese and Korean films and some Southeast Asian films as well. This year we got Parasite (korean film) which is phenomenal and Kimi No Nawa (Japanese anime film) is just superb, my top ten film of the decade.

I am all for globalization.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45408 Posts

@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

10 being the best

Yeah I kind of agree.

For me music took a turn for the worst in the late 90's and never recovered. I never mention indie music though I'm not sure where you saw that?

I meant the "royal you" as in "anyone", not "you specifically".

I was just saying it's not all bad, just the mainstream stuff is no good (I was implying that the independent music is good, unlike the "pop"/mainstream stuff). Trying to put a positive spin on it :D

Don't think I've really listened to the FM radio for about 15 years now, sort of like I haven't had cable TV for that long, too.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 warmblur

@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@warmblur said:

10 being the best

Yeah I kind of agree.

I meant the "royal you" as in "anyone", not "you specifically".

I was just saying it's not all bad, just the mainstream stuff is no good (I was implying that the independent music is good, unlike the "pop"/mainstream stuff). Trying to put a positive spin on it :D

Don't think I've really listened to the FM radio for about 15 years now, sort of like I haven't had cable TV for that long, too.

Oh, ok got it lol.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 68 Posts

I think tv is doing great. Alot of show that I really like started in or had multiple seasons during the decade. Would probably pick this decade over the previous.

Movies - my interest level in movies has plummeted over the past few years. In part because I've grown to prefer tv series but I also think the quality has taken a dip. Worse then the previous decade.

Games - The end of the PS3/360 era was solid strong. This gen has been meh for the most part. Would easily take the previous decade over this one.

Music - I don't really actively look for new music but what little I hear in like commercials or public is either the typical pop song that's forgotten by next month or terrible garbage that I find shocking anybody could listen to... Previous decade for sure

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9310 Posts

I generally agree with OP, except I think TV has...kind of gotten worse. Movies have gotten worse. And music, yeah it isn't as good these days imo, but I'll still occasionally hear some newer stuff I'll want to listen to.

I think TV shows are worse because everything has gotten too sci-fi, and too drama, and too serialized.

I think LOST is a show that really kicked off this interest in re-examining the serialized drama last decade, and it wasn't a perfect show but it was pretty good. But the thing is, even with the sci-fi aspects of that show, it still remained grounded. LOST was essentially about a super-powered being trying to keep a group of people in a dream-like world because it didn't realize life and the struggle it entails are necessary for personal growth and connections to others. Even with elements of time-travel, super-powers and fantastical happenings, the show at its core was about people that you could relate to.

Comedy television continues to be hit-or-miss. It seems like the better comedy shows usually don't get the recognition they deserve, while the annoying ones stick around for a decade. If a good one does get recognition later on and comes back, usually it's not as good lol.

Movies, again the superhero/sci-fi thing. And now so much of a movie is CGI, and there is less acting going on. I feel like there used to be genres of movies that existed that simply don't now, because so much focus is on these big CGI-filled blockbusters that film companies are betting all their chips on. What happened to most of the great comedies that used to be around? And why do action movies and horror movies have to repeat themselves over and over once they have a hit on their hands??? Don't get me started on all of the remakes.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17627 Posts

@Ovirew:

Movies/TV haven't been good since the 90s.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 168183 Posts

Good and bad in every decade...…….you just have to know where to look. But I will say pop music sucks now. There is no good in that but people eat it up. Also reality shows suck.....the pop of tv.

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ovirew

@PSP107: I don't agree that TV and movies have been awful for the last 20 years, but I will agree that 90's television was pretty damn good.

These days I watch a lot of broadcast reruns of old sitcoms, and shows that aired at some point during the 90's were typically pretty good. I can turn on a lot of those shows and watch them anytime and enjoy it.

I think some really smart and funny shows have come out since, but maybe for me it gets harder to relate to modern times because I miss things about the 90's.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16275 Posts
@Ovirew said:

These days I watch a lot of broadcast reruns of old sitcoms, and shows that aired at some point during the 90's were typically pretty good.

I am always struck at how much arguing goes on in those family sitcoms. I can't watch it. Was watching According to Jim marathon or something at my parents over the holidays...holy shit is this how people expect a family to behave?

Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ovirew

@br0kenrabbit: According to Jim. Eh, it's alright, but that's like one of those shows that whenever it's on, I'm really wishing one of the other shows on the network would be on instead lol.

According to Jim also debuted in 2001, so it was never on at any point during the 90's, not that it matters much though.

Umm on the topic of family sitcoms and arguing, yeah I guess that did happen in a lot of shows. But I mean, that's what family sitcoms usually are, there will be some problem that arises between family members and they'll talk it out or something. The arguing does get a little extreme sometimes, but I guess you could chalk it up to the show just trying to be entertaining lol. It's like, if a show had a lot of episodes of a family sitting around and not doing much and no issues are going on then it might not make for good TV. Of course, I am sure that somewhere along the lines those British sitcoms already proved me wrong. I guess even Seinfeld kind of did, depending on the episode in question lol.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79707 Posts

Movies: 7. I really enjoyed a lot of films I've watched. Great comedies, some really awesome horror flicks. Then of course, we saw the Avengers saga wrapped up. But, I took a point off because we also saw a new Star Wars saga wrapped up.

TV: 6. Not that big into TV. Broadcast is pretty meh, and I don't have cable, so I watch very few of them when they come out on video. I loved the Walking Dead when it started, but it's dragging on like an actual zombie. Mostly Netflix shows for me.

Video games: 7. A lot of great games, but PS4 and Xbox One failed to live up their predecessors, and Switch could only have gone upward from the Wii U. I still expect a lot more from Nintendo, though. A lot of controversies and questionable business practices also mucked things up.

Music: 6. Too. Much. Mumble. Rap. Seriously, it's been hard to be a rap fan this decade, but on the other side of the coin, we've seen some reprisals from some of my favorite groups like A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang and Black Eyed Peas. Lots of great artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator, J. Cole, Joyner Lucas, etc. also started rising through the 10s.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#16  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14035 Posts

Games - 7/10

Movies - 7/10

Music - 6/10

Television - 9/10

Almost every medium has declined, with the exception of television. Thanks to the rise of online streaming, the market for TV shows are expanding, leading to increasing budgets for TV shows and many of the best screen-writers moving to television. Streaming television is taking over, and gradually eating into the movie box office industry.