Racist Hunger Game Fans

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#101 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
I would of thought Hunger Game fans would be similar to that old Twilight craze fans, nuggets.
King-Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 King-Kai
Member since 2012 • 934 Posts

[QUOTE="King-Kai"]Considering the fact that Suzzane Collins - the author of the books - is American, and the fact that Blacks have a historical presence in America, it is safe to assume that the characters are intended to be Black, not indian. In America, dark brown skin == Black.OrkHammer007

No, it doesn't. Dark brown skin == dark brown skin... it's a f***ing description, not a racial identity.

Quick: which of these people has dark brown skin:

hallesendhil

...hint: it's NOT the black person.

Halle Berry is half White. So, she doesn't count. Also, What I meant was that considering the historical presence of Blacks in America, when an American person reads adescription which uses terms like dark skin, they are more likely to thinik of a Black person than any sort of other dark skinned person.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#103 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

To be honest, I was pretty surprised to see that Rue was played by a black actress. Given that she was described as very Prim-like, I imagined a white girl. Other than that, though, I never really thought about ethnicity.

Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Hubadubalubahu
Member since 2005 • 1081 Posts

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="King-Kai"]Considering the fact that Suzzane Collins - the author of the books - is American, and the fact that Blacks have a historical presence in America, it is safe to assume that the characters are intended to be Black, not indian. In America, dark brown skin == Black.King-Kai

No, it doesn't. Dark brown skin == dark brown skin... it's a f***ing description, not a racial identity.

Quick: which of these people has dark brown skin:

hallesendhil

...hint: it's NOT the black person.

Halle Berry is half White. So, she doesn't count. Also, What I meant was that considering the historical presence of Blacks in America, when an American person reads adescription which uses terms like dark skin, they are more likely to thinik of a Black person than any sort of other dark skinned person.

It would make more sense to picture a Native American.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#105 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

1.) Halle Berry is half White. So, she doesn't count. Also, What I meant was that considering the historical presence of Blacks in America, when an American person reads adescription which uses terms like dark skin, they are more likely to thinik of a Black person than any sort of other dark skinned person.King-Kai
1.) According to who, you? I'm sure Ms. Berry would love to hear you dismiss her racial make-up out of f***ing hand like that.

2.) As an American, I'm extremely offended by your assumption. When I see "dark skin" or "dark brown skin," the last thing I'm thinking is "is this guy of African descent." I'm thinking, "This guy has brown/dark brown skin." I actually envisioned Rue as being Native American, simply because the story takes place in North America. Go figure.

You're making assumptions you can't prove, and dismissing evidence simply because it doesn't fit your view. Again... I believe you're a bit racist and don't want to admit it.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
ITT: Idiots who argue semantics about skin color rather than addressing the issue that these people are claiming a movie was ruined because of the casting of a certain ethnicity that is accurate to the description of the character in the book.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
I thought Rue was castes perfectly, exactly how I envisioned her.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 OrkHammer007

ITT: Idiots who argue semantics about skin color rather than addressing the issue that these people are claiming a movie was ruined because of the casting of a certain ethnicity that is accurate to the description of the character in the book.Ace6301
How about reading the entire f***ing argument before resorting to name-calling? My points are absolutely legitimate, and I still believe the TC is racist for freezing out other dark-skinned ethnicities in favor of his own in regards to the description in the book.

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 layton2012
I would of thought Hunger Game fans would be similar to that old Twilight craze fans, nuggets.shadowkiller11
It's more gender neutral, there are fangirls, but a lot of guys like it too, including me.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]ITT: Idiots who argue semantics about skin color rather than addressing the issue that these people are claiming a movie was ruined because of the casting of a certain ethnicity that is accurate to the description of the character in the book.OrkHammer007

How about reading the entire f***ing argument before resorting to name-calling? My points are absolutely legitimate, and I still believe the TC is racist for freezing out other dark-skinned ethnicities in favor of his own in regards to the description in the book.

Now, now, I called both of you idiots.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Not really. Its a hateful word and black people more than anyone should know better. Doesnt matter about the context. Even if its just a friendly greeting. Just seems an utter spit on the face of the forefathers of these people who fought for civil rights and had to go through all that stuff.

Embarrasses me really when i here.

Hubadubalubahu

You will be alright...its here and its not going anywhere soon sadly. Like I said much like politics the word now means something different. Time changes things...if a person has a problem with it they don't have to say it.

He is saying everything your forefathers went through and every race card an african american pulls now is pointless. To take such insults and turn them into a title of endearment is beyond stupidity. Just because we can choose how we want to respond to an external stimulus doesn't mean that said stimulus doesn't pack a punch. I think it's really cute how you guys made the word your own and all but words dont change meaning. Enough said. You can say it is a slang word now but it holds the same meaning it did then and will not change. You cannot just drop the historical baggage one moment and then bring it up when it suits you. The notion that it's acceptable for african americans to refer to each other using the n-word while considering it racist for others to use sets up a clear double standard And the fact that african americans can call white people crackers and we can't call you the N word is again a double standard and shows no respect for us or yourselves. To me, the notion that one ethnic group has property rights to a term is a reductio ad absurdum argument, since language is a public enterprise. Most of the inner city african americans I deal with are more racist then most white people. Sometimes I think everyone would be happy if african americans would of stayed oppressed. Would sure give peoples bitc*ing more weight. What's needed here is a history lesson. Reclaiming racist words like the n-word doesn't eliminate its ugly historical baggage - or the power dynamics between whites and blacks in this country. All it does is paper over the past, pretending that we can overlook the historical injustice of slavery. It numbs Americans to the use and abuse of power in this country - undermining the daily struggle of those Americans who daily endeavor to improve race relations. inb4 im called a bigot.

I didn't read it because I know what my forefathers fought for. I just don't get butthurt over my own people saying it. And honestly you only live once, no reason to let a single word bother me so much...

D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
Why do people hate Blacks so much? Discuss.King-Kai
People are mad that Tom Cruise is playing Jack Reacher, a man depicted as physically imposing in the books, in the upcoming movie. WHY DO PEOPLE HATE WHITES SO MUCH!? You're either a complete and utter bottom-feeder or I have been trolled.
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Hubadubalubahu
@Mgamer If you don't read anything over two sentences long what's the point of being on an internet forum.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts

[QUOTE="MgamerBD"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Not really. Its a hateful word and black people more than anyone should know better. Doesnt matter about the context. Even if its just a friendly greeting. Just seems an utter spit on the face of the forefathers of these people who fought for civil rights and had to go through all that stuff.

Embarrasses me really when i here.

Hubadubalubahu

You will be alright...its here and its not going anywhere soon sadly. Like I said much like politics the word now means something different. Time changes things...if a person has a problem with it they don't have to say it.

He is saying everything your forefathers went through and every race card an african american pulls now is pointless. To take such insults and turn them into a title of endearment is beyond stupidity. Just because we can choose how we want to respond to an external stimulus doesn't mean that said stimulus doesn't pack a punch. I think it's really cute how you guys made the word your own and all but words dont change meaning. Enough said. You can say it is a slang word now but it holds the same meaning it did then and will not change. You cannot just drop the historical baggage one moment and then bring it up when it suits you. The notion that it's acceptable for african americans to refer to each other using the n-word while considering it racist for others to use sets up a clear double standard And the fact that african americans can call white people crackers and we can't call you the N word is again a double standard and shows no respect for us or yourselves. To me, the notion that one ethnic group has property rights to a term is a reductio ad absurdum argument, since language is a public enterprise. Most of the inner city african americans I deal with are more racist then most white people. Sometimes I think everyone would be happy if african americans would of stayed oppressed. Would sure give peoples bitc*ing more weight. What's needed here is a history lesson. Reclaiming racist words like the n-word doesn't eliminate its ugly historical baggage - or the power dynamics between whites and blacks in this country. All it does is paper over the past, pretending that we can overlook the historical injustice of slavery. It numbs Americans to the use and abuse of power in this country - undermining the daily struggle of those Americans who daily endeavor to improve race relations. inb4 im called a bigot.

Since when?I think you have comedians confused with regular black people

Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Hubadubalubahu
Merely pointing out a double standard. And yes it is still used as an insult. Also if that is all you took in out of that I worry about you.
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

" Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif "

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Merely pointing out a double standard. And yes it is still used as an insult. Also if that is all you took in out of that I worry about you.Hubadubalubahu
Im pretty sure a black person never came up to you and said,excuse me cracker whats the time
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Oh dear
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Hubadubalubahu"]Merely pointing out a double standard. And yes it is still used as an insult. Also if that is all you took in out of that I worry about you.Bucked20
Im pretty sure a black person never came up to you and said,excuse me cracker whats the time

:roll:
D3nnyCrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 D3nnyCrane
Member since 2007 • 12058 Posts
"Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif "infinite884
Michael Jackson in that gif is clearly preferring the perfectly white popcorn at the top of the box as opposed to the burnt black ones down at the bottom. WHY DOES MICHAEL JACKSON HATE BLACK POPCORN!?
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Hubadubalubahu
[QUOTE="Hubadubalubahu"]Merely pointing out a double standard. And yes it is still used as an insult. Also if that is all you took in out of that I worry about you.Bucked20

Nope can't say they have, it's completely out of context for a derogatory term. Argue well if you want to argue pointlessly. Once again you choose to focus on a very insignificant thing and completley overlook what I was saying as a whole. Im sorry you cant come up with any sort of intelligence to actually debate but if you want to keep nitpicking on a word you for some reason dont believe exists go for it.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

It doesn't matter if they could be portrayed as other races with dark brown skin. The issue is that having black actors is certainly apt considering the descriptors in the novel. There should be no outrage that black actors were chosen, and it is monumentally racist that people consider the portrayals to be "less innocent" or "story-ruining" because the actors are black. End of story. I don't know how anyone can argue.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 OrkHammer007

It doesn't matter if they could be portrayed as other races with dark brown skin. The issue is that having black actors is certainly apt considering the descriptors in the novel. There should be no outrage that black actors were chosen, and it is monumentally racist that people consider the portrayals to be "less innocent" or "story-ruining" because the actors are black. End of story. I don't know how anyone can argue.

ShuLordLiuPei

They could have cast green people painted brown for all I care. The TC falt out said "dark brown skin == black person," which is a bad assumption. That's where I'm coming from.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I guess people thought of dark brown as tanned rather than black... just people ranting about nothing on twitter, nothing new
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Read the books, have trouble seeing characters in my head, thought she was white, was surprised she was black, moved on, enjoyed the movie. Every character I read about I always picture as white unless race is a significant part of the book (which I usually hate).

They did a great job with the casting to be honest. I can't wait to see the next one.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 OrkHammer007

Let's fix the book so there's no further confusion and racist idiocy, shall we? It'll take exactly two words.

Suzanne Collins' version:

And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.The Hunger Games

Same sentence, with an edit that clarifies what she allegedly was aiming for:

And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown (ALMOST BLACK) skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.The Hunger Games

Holy s***, Rue's black!!! The casting guys got it right!!!

It still doesn't excuse Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, by the way. She should have had darker hair and skin (she looks like she only stepped outside long enough to shoot some action shots, then ducked back into her dressing room, not like the accomplished hunter in the novels).

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

It seems like most of the idiots went without reading the book. I can clearly remember reading that Rue and Cinna were dark-skinned.

It still doesn't excuse Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, by the way. She should have had darker hair and skin (she looks like she only stepped outside long enough to shoot some action shots, then ducked back into her dressing room, not like the accomplished hunter in the novels).

OrkHammer007

Acting > skin colour. Jennifer killed it.

DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Never go to Youtube TC, you'll die from the comments alone.King-Kai

I see racist comments on YouTube every day. They don't affect me. I created this thread not because I'm personally hurt or suprised (I'm neither), but because I simply think it's worth discussing. That's all.

Then discuss it, but don't get ticked off and start insulting people when they express a view different from your own.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

Nope ... I imagined them all as black. Though I imagined Cato as asian though because the name sounded like the Green Hornet side kick who is asian.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
There's racist fans who read Harry Potter, Twilight, the Bible, etc. Doesn't really matter.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

Nope ... I imagined them all as black. Though I imagined Cato as asian though because the name sounded like the Green Hornet side kick who is asian.

greenskittles

It also sounds like the Roman statesman/philosopher (and his grandfather) who was named... wait for it... "Cato."

Princess_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Princess_Lime
Member since 2010 • 429 Posts

"I know, rue is too black for what I pictured." lmao... the girl that plays her is light skinned. wtf?

I hope these aren't Marvel fans either because they'll be greatly disappointed with Nick Fury in the Avengers.

flipin_jackass
I would understand the anger if the cannon characters weren't black. Like I'd rage and stuff at a black Spiderman or a white storm. Ultimate Nick was actually based on Mr Jackson that's why he was used.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

[QUOTE="greenskittles"]

ShuLordLiuPei

It also sounds like the Roman statesman/philosopher (and his grandfather) who was named... wait for it... "Cato."

Good point .. that just shows you my ancient roman history education.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

There's racist fans who read Harry Potter, Twilight, the Bible, etc. Doesn't really matter.NiKva

Well DUH

Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#135 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts

Yes, lots of people on twitter are dumb. JML897
This. full of idiots

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 layton2012

Let's fix the book so there's no further confusion and racist idiocy, shall we? It'll take exactly two words.

Suzanne Collins' version:

[quote="The Hunger Games"]And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.OrkHammer007

Same sentence, with an edit that clarifies what she allegedly was aiming for:

And most hauntingly, a twelve-year old girl from District 11. She has dark brown (ALMOST BLACK) skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor.The Hunger Games

Holy s***, Rue's black!!! The casting guys got it right!!!

Jennifer's acting skill made up for the distinction, I thought the movies casting was perfect. Best movie of 2012 so far IMO.
Avatar image for TwighlightBlade
TwighlightBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 TwighlightBlade
Member since 2012 • 872 Posts

I want them to stick to the books. Anyone who has a problem with another person just because of skin collor can just deal with it. It's life.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#138 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I think the TC is overly sensitrive, just because a few people say something on the internet doesn't meaan anything.