This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Okay, I don't make race topics, and I generally find them stupid. But I'm going to make one anyway.

So anyway, I'm black. And as a black person, one of the things that pisses me off to no end is when black people act just like how racist people expect them to act. Especially when it's me.

Example: Does anyone remember that Chappelle's show sketch where Dave Chappelle is on a plane and asks for a meal, and the stwardess says that she has chicken and fish? Haha. Then a little black minstrel genie appears on Dave's shoulder and says "get the chicken!" But Dave says he wants the fish. So then the stewardess goes to get the fish. But then she comes back and tells Dave that they're out of fish. And dave asks how the chicken is prepared, and she tells him that it's fried. Then the little dude on his shoulder says "HALLELUYA!!" and does a little minstrel jig.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

So anyway, there was a new waiter at the restaurant where I work. And she's black. Only black waiter in the whole place. First black waiter I've seen in the 6 months I've been there. So I just started thinking, "well, she's not gonna be here long."

Fast forward to a couple of weeks later. She gets fired. When I ask around as to why, I find out that one day whe it was foggy and there was a lot of condensation on the windows of the restaurant, she wrote obscene messages on the windows as a joke.

And I just had to shake my head in shame.

I mean, damn. 50 freaking waiters working at the place, all but one or two being white. For at least a half a year, not one ****ing black waiter. This chick gets hired, despite being black, and she has to **** it up by doing some absolutely stupid ass ghetto ****.

And what pisses me off is that now, when the next 20 black people apply for the job, they're gonna have the odds stacked against them even more, just because the only black person to have that job in the last 6 months ****ed things up by being stupid.

Now, I'm just wondering how you guys feel about this. Like, does it absolutely piss you off and make you saddened when you see people of your race/ethnic group acting exactly like the stereotypes about them? Or do you really not care?

Or do you SOMETIMES care, but other times NOT care? As in, I live in the ghetto, so I see lots of black people acting like STEREOTYPICAL black people. But hey, it's the ghetto. What else am I gonna expect? But when I see black people who have everything going well for them, and they STILL **** things up, that just makes me angry and sad.

Does the same thing happen to you? For all of the hispanics, asians, Irish-Americans out there, etc, does this sort of stuff bother you as much as it bothers me? Or am I just being silly?

GTA3_Darkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTA3_Darkel
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
Well stereotypes IS based on how each race acts in a different way that is either odd or uncommon to other races, so it's kinda hard to tell a race to stop it if it's been like that for years.
d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 d51man
Member since 2005 • 6143 Posts
stereotypes are stupid. Anyone who believes in them should be ashamed of themselves. Only time I use stereotypes is with my close friends when were joking around caues none of us take it seriously. Anyone who says them to be rude should be stabbed.
leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 leegar88
Member since 2006 • 5307 Posts
Why disd you automatically assume she wasn't going to be there long, and she wasn't doing anything extremely ghetto. I have seen plenty of people who weren't black write stupid things on a window. But agree it is stupid when people act stereotypical.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I'm white but I can see what you mean. I can only observe, but we live in a messed up world. Just last Friday I was leaving the cinema around 10pm in my nearby richy rich town. A black couple drove by bumping a little, but not loud at all. Then there is this white cop that just walks up to their car with a flash light and starts giving them the 20 questions. Next I see them pulled over getting a ticket. I was like, omg, they just got a dwb. Total bull crap, those Birminham cops are fascists.
leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 leegar88
Oh also I heard that was one of the reasons chappele quit the show, but he wasn't just making fun of blacks he did it to a hispanic, asian, and white guy in the skit.
UglyDude_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UglyDude_07
Member since 2005 • 2574 Posts
Bush doesn't care about black people...
Axed54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Axed54
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
I'm old and a little jaded. About 85% of all the people I've ever met, have sadden or disappointed me. The other 15% gives me hope.
Loonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Loonie
Member since 2003 • 3455 Posts

I always enjoy your posts MrGeezer, except this one time, but whatever generally they entertain or enlighten me.

And what is with the fried chicken thing, my friend lived with some guys from zimbabwe for a while and based on this anecdotal evidence told me that black people love fried chicken. I was skeptical and claimed that chicken was good, most people probably love it, but im seeing more and more evidence that he was actually right, or at least the stereotype exists (i was unaware of it). Maybe people just start acting a certain way because people expect them to act like that.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

I know where your coming from.

The trick is to just ignore it. Stop caring about it.

Even if your life is somehow worsened by it (very little chance, considering most people are not, at least, openly racist), you don't have to get angry at someone else for ruining things for you, whether it be the fellow "brotha" that was there 6 months ago and did some stupid **** or some other person who judges people of your skin tone from that one guy. Pity them both, but even so, do it in moderation, they are not worth the emotions.

Hope my little rant wasn't too fragmented...:(

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer

Why disd you automatically assume she wasn't going to be there long, and she wasn't doing anything extremely ghetto. I have seen plenty of people who weren't black write stupid things on a window. But agree it is stupid when people act stereotypical.leegar88

Because, as I've alreasdy said, for the last six months (maybe more) there hasn't been ONE black waiter in the whole place.

And I know for a fact that there is no shortage of blsck people looking for jobs as waiters in my area.

The obvious implication being that, if black waiters had a tendency to last at that place, I would have at least seen ONE black waiter in the last few months.

bradleybhoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bradleybhoy
Member since 2005 • 6501 Posts

I don't know. I think "black popular culture" in America is a big force in influencing young blackpeople. I mean everyone needs an identity and so far the dominant black identites in American popular culture are rapper, sportsperson or entertainer of some kind. Really narrow. Rappers are out of control too. So yah blame it on BET and MTV.

But really though that is a very complex question and it could only be answered with avery complex explanation.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
As a proud Southerner, I hate it when the KKK uses the Confederate Flag. The flag was never meant to be used as a racist symbol and when those ignorant bigots use it it makes the rest of us look bad. The Confederate flag is supposed to represent a stong sense of pride in Southern heritage and ideals, and it sickens me to see it used like that.
numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 numismatic
Member since 2005 • 775 Posts

Wait I thought the op was black yet he metnions the waitress as the only black person working at the restaurant. If you feel that every black person should be uplifting the race then the world is going to burn you alive. I am black and I don't care and you have to admit that if the management gave one black person a chance they will surely do it again in the future, or not either way I hope they make that judgment based on their character not their race. Their is a myth in America that every black person has to beatify the race through their action. If race played in my mind for every little decision I make in life I will go mad. BTW are you really black?. I suspect not.

The confederate flag is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the antebellum south, No respected historian would argue that the ideals of the south were ultimately those of slavery and slave ownership hence the civil war.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer

I always enjoy your posts MrGeezer, except this one time, but whatever generally they entertain or enlighten me.

And what is with the fried chicken thing, my friend lived with some guys from zimbabwe for a while and based on this anecdotal evidence told me that black people love fried chicken. I was skeptical and claimed that chicken was good, most people probably love it, but im seeing more and more evidence that he was actually right, or at least the stereotype exists (i was unaware of it). Maybe people just start acting a certain way because people expect them to act like that.

Loonie

I don't know man. But for some reason, there's just te stereotype that black people love fried chicken, watermellons, chitterlings and other various "pork by-products" such as "hog maws" and pig's feet, and grape kool-Aid.

Now, I have some hypotheses as to the origin of some of these stereotypse. While others just confound me.

But anyway, I LOOOVE fried chicken. Don't like watermelon. Dont eat chitterling or pig's feet or pig's penises or any part of the pig that isn't absolutely disgusting.

But I LOOOOVE fried chicken. And honestly, that's sort of embarassing for me. It's not that everyone else doesn't like fried chicken. It's that I'm SUPPOSED to like it because I'm bladck. So when I actually DO like it, it feels like I'm admitting that the stereotypes about black people are correct.

N

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
I dont like sterotypes :|
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer

Wait I thought the op was black yet he metnions the waitress as the only black person working at the restaurant. If you feel that every black person should be uplifting the race then the world is going to burn you alive. I am black and I don't care and you have to admit that if the management gave one black person a chance they will surely do it again in the future, or not either way I hope they make that judgment based on their character not their race. Their is a myth in America that every black person has to beatify the race through their action. If race played in my mind for every little decision I make in life I will go mad. BTW are you really black?. I suspect not.

The confederate flag is a symbol of everything that is wrong with the antebellum south, No respected historian would argue that the ideals of the south were ultimately those of slavery and slave ownership hence the civil war.

numismatic

Would you believe that I'm black if I typed in ebonics?

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
[QUOTE="Loonie"]

MrGeezer

I don't know man. But for some reason, there's just te stereotype that black people love fried chicken, watermellons, chitterlings and other various "pork by-products" such as "hog maws" and pig's feet, and grape kool-Aid.

Now, I have some hypotheses as to the origin of some of these stereotypse. While others just confound me.

But anyway, I LOOOVE fried chicken. Don't like watermelon. Dont eat chitterling or pig's feet or pig's penises or any part of the pig that isn't absolutely disgusting.

But I LOOOOVE fried chicken. And honestly, that's sort of embarassing for me. It's not that everyone else doesn't like fried chicken. It's that I'm SUPPOSED to like it because I'm bladck. So when I actually DO like it, it feels like I'm admitting that the stereotypes about black people are correct.

N

Man, screw that noise.

You like what you like because you like it. Not because of the tone of color of your skin or your ethnicity.

If that was true, I would love fish curry, like every other Bengali person I have ever met. No, instead, I despise it more than Mcdonalds.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
I hate it in anyone, especially when they're proud of it. Heh, stereotypes and fads.
numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 numismatic
[QUOTE="numismatic"]

MrGeezer

Why would that prove you were black? I just thought it funny that you repeatedly mention the fact that she was the only black person working at the restaurant without including yourself. Now if I were to do some pop psycho analysis on you I'd say that although you were ultimately proven right in your assumption that you feel somewhat ashamed to be black, well at least when you feel that the actions of others have impugned your reputation let alone that of the entire black race by one immature girl. If you took the time to read your original post it would be obvious as to why I or anyone logical enough would doubt your claims to be black when you repeatedly mention the girl as the only "black" worker in the restaurant.

d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 d51man
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

numismatic

Why would that prove you were black? I just thought it funny that you repeatedly mention the fact that she was the only black person working at the restaurant without including yourself. Now if I were to do some pop psycho analysis on you I'd say that although you were ultimately proven right in your assumption that you feel somewhat ashamed to be black, well at least when you feel that the actions of others have impugned your reputation let alone that of the entire black race by one immature girl. If you took the time to read your original post it would be obvious as to why I or anyone logical enough would doubt your claims to be black when you repeatedly mention the girl as the only "black" worker in the restaurant.

He might now work at the resteraunt...he could just eat there :?

Loonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Loonie
Member since 2003 • 3455 Posts
[QUOTE="Loonie"]

MrGeezer

N

I live in england so we dont have kool-aid and i never heard of the watermelon or pig feet thing. Anyway if you love fried chicken then you love it, maybe do what dave chappelle does and embrace the stereotype, seems like a pretty harmless one you could have a laugh about, at least amongst your friends, but i can understand how it could get a little tedious.

Like english people are supposed to love tea, and to be honest i have never been a big fan of tea but the more i drink it the more i start to love it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

numismatic

I did NOT say that she was the only black person working at the restaurant. I said that she was the only black WAITER.

We have a black bartender. We have a black manager. We have a WHOLE LOT of black dishwashers.

Now, before you start getting all know-it-all with me, try reading my post again. I didn't even mention the fact that 90% of the dishwashing staff is black, because I wasn't talking about dishwashers.

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sca321
Member since 2003 • 1903 Posts
[QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

d51man

He said she was the only black waiter. There are other jobs at a restaurant besides waiter.
numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 numismatic
food stereotypes are harmless for the most part and there are historical genetive to bear out the fact that certain ethnic/race groups eat more of certain foods than others mainly due to geography and their economic status. It is well documented fact that the staples of Slaves in the south was heavily subsidized by pork and chicken. If you've ever been below the equator or close to it tell me who in their right mind would turn down a juicy watermelon on a hot day in the middle of the summer. Trying to demean people through food is one of the most ridiculously pathetic ways to insult an ethnicity/race. No one should be self conscious of food unless they are watching their weight and calorie intake.
d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 d51man
[QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

sca321

He said she was the only black waiter. There are other jobs at a restaurant besides waiter.

:o I missed where he said he was waiter

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sca321
[QUOTE="sca321"][QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

d51man

He never said he was a waiter.
numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 numismatic
[QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

MrGeezer

I did NOT say that she was the only black person working at the restaurant. I said that she was the only black WAITER.

We have a black bartender. We have a black manager. We have a WHOLE LOT of black dishwashers.

Now, before you start getting all know-it-all with me, try reading my post again. I didn't even mention the fact that 90% of the dishwashing staff is black, because I wasn't talking about dishwashers.

So why does this girl's action bother you so much, clearly there are black people above and below her in your establishment. I didn't say I knew it all I just find it strange that you repeatedly insinuate that her actions have somehow shamed the entire race thereby locking the door for any other person of color that wants to be a waiter. BTW what is your job in the place, and you mentioning the black staff makes your rant about her kind of moot from a racial perspective because clearly like you've said before race played very little role in her firing and therefore should not inhibit anyone else that is black from getting a job at your restaurant.

d51man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 d51man
[QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="sca321"][QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

sca321

Then stop lying to me :cry:

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
I don't really care at all.
leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 leegar88

[QUOTE="leegar88"]Why disd you automatically assume she wasn't going to be there long, and she wasn't doing anything extremely ghetto. I have seen plenty of people who weren't black write stupid things on a window. But agree it is stupid when people act stereotypical.MrGeezer

Because, as I've alreasdy said, for the last six months (maybe more) there hasn't been ONE black waiter in the whole place.

And I know for a fact that there is no shortage of blsck people looking for jobs as waiters in my area.

The obvious implication being that, if black waiters had a tendency to last at that place, I would have at least seen ONE black waiter in the last few months.

It kind of seems like you are making this a race issue when you don't need to. I mean there could be better places hiring, and also the person in charge of your job probablly isn't ignorant and won't judge the whole race by one person. Also it kind of seems like you were doing the stereotyping.

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

There are two ethnic stereotypes that I hate but that are uncomfortably common.. 1. Mexican girls get pregnant at a young age and 2. Mexican boys are generally gangbangers..

Just today, I learned that my ex and her sister are already pregnant.. they're barely 16-18 and both of them dropped out of school.. and of course they got pregnant by a couple of gangbangers.. That **** just pisses me off cause they make it so effing worse for the rest of us Immigrants that are here to excel, to give back to the community, and to help our children grow up in a positive environment that's not full of cows and cow ****.

And then I visit these forums were there's kids throwing statistics around pertaining to gang violence and I see my ethnic background as one of the majorities and it just breaks my heart to see all of these fools not only destroying their lives, but the lives of their families, friends, and most importantly, those of us who are here to do good and take advantage of the opportunities that this country has given us.

If it wasn't for those crazy *****, I wouldn't have such a hard time becoming a citizen. I already am but it took me most of my life to gain it even though I've been here since I was ~3 years old.

Not only that but I just effing hate it when those Mexican-American kids are born here, given immediate citizenship, and they go into gangs. I just wish this country wasn't such a ***** and it would kick those pigs out of here so they aren't ****** everything up for the people that are actually trying hard to succeed in life.

I got so pissed off when I went to the pro-immigration rally here in Chicago when I saw hundreds of gangsbangers hanging around trying to look political with their big boards with catchy phrases on them but they're just tools, they're not political, they're not activcists, they're just trying to stay here so they can smoke weed, have sex with misguided teenage girls, and make it worse for the rest of us. There were also those that were just there to be there. They wasted my ****ing air and space so they could be there, not so they could send a message out to those opposed to immigration.

leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 leegar88

There are two ethnic stereotypes that I hate but that are uncomfortably common.. 1. Mexican girls get pregnant at a young age and 2. Mexican boys are generally gangbangers..

Just today, I learned that my ex and her sister are already pregnant.. they're barely 16-18 and both of them dropped out of school.. and of course they got pregnant by a couple of gangbangers.. That **** just pisses me off cause they make it so effing worse for the rest of us Immigrants that are here to excel, to give back to the community, and to help our children grow up in a positive environment that's not full of cows and cow ****.

And then I visit these forums were there's kids throwing statistics around pertaining to gang violence and I see my ethnic background as one of the majorities and it just breaks my heart to see all of these fools not only destroying their lives, but the lives of their families, friends, and most importantly, those of us who are here to do good and take advantage of the opportunities that this country has given us.

If it wasn't for those crazy *****, I wouldn't have such a hard time becoming a citizen. I already am but it took me most of my life to gain it even though I've been here since I was ~3 years old.

Not only that but I just effing hate it when those Mexican-American kids are born here, given immediate citizenship, and they go into gangs. I just wish this country wasn't such a ***** and it would kick those pigs out of here so they aren't ****** everything up for the people that are actually trying hard to succeed in life.

I got so pissed off when I went to the pro-immigration rally here in Chicago when I saw hundreds of gangsbangers hanging around trying to look political with their big boards with catchy phrases on them but they're just tools, they're not political, they're not activcists, they're just trying to stay here so they can smoke weed, have sex with misguided teenage girls, and make it worse for the rest of us. There were also those that were just there to be there. They wasted my ****ing air and space so they could be there, not so they could send a message out to those opposed to immigration.

DeeJayInphinity

Sorry to hear that, but if you know that you are not like that andall your people aren't like that don't worry.

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DeeJayInphinity

Sorry to hear that, but if you know that you are not like that andall your people aren't like that don't worry.

leegar88

I have to worry because I'm not the one in control here. I can't say "Ok well not all of them are like that so lets give this random dude citizenship," it's all up to the people that control this country and if they see that there are plenty of us messing up their country, they're not going to give a crap if I want to study this or that, they will just want me out of here.

sca321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sca321
[QUOTE="sca321"][QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="sca321"][QUOTE="d51man"][QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

d51man

Then stop lying to me :cry:

He's not a waiter, she was. He said she was the only black waiter which is true. I don't see where the confusion comes in.
numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 numismatic
[QUOTE="leegar88"]

DeeJayInphinity

I have to worry because I'm not the one in control here. I can't say "Ok well not all of them are like that so lets give this random dude citizenship," it's all up to the people that control this country and if they see that there are plenty of us messing up their country, they're not going to give a crap if I want to study this or that, they will just want me out of here.

I don't think them acting like saints will change the mind of people who want to deport them if they entered this country illegaly. I haven't lived in a county in which hispanics made up a sizeable population since I was in middle school, but to be fair I did notice most of the things you write about and while it is tragic I think it has a lot to do with the county where I lived as a whole than with the hispanic population. Because I lived in a poor county where kids were just abandoned either through absentee parents--those working so many hours that they barely see their kids for more than an hour a day-- or those in single parent homes who don't have time for their children. Now as an immigrant I can empathize somewhat with what you described and my best advice is to stop caring, I live you with this empathic statement "Do you", meaning be true to yourself rather than constantly worrying about what other people think about you or your ethnicity. I am reluctant to say race because hispanics come in all flavors, its not really a racial group is it but a language/regional thing.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="numismatic"]

numismatic

Alm

So why does this girl's action bother you so much, clearly there are black people above and below her in your establishment. I didn't say I knew it all I just find it strange that you repeatedly insinuate that her actions have somehow shamed the entire race thereby locking the door for any other person of color that wants to be a waiter. BTW what is your job in the place, and you mentioning the black staff makes your rant about her kind of moot from a racial perspective because clearly like you've said before race played very little role in her firing and therefore should not inhibit anyone else that is black from getting a job at your restaurant.

Almost the entire dishwashing staff is black.

One black busboy.

One black bartender.

One black manager.

For anything above washing dishes, we've got 3 employees who are black. For everything washes dishes or lower, all but one employee is black.

Now, with those numbers, it would seem that black people are simply destined for the dish pit.

And 33% of the black people above dishwasher only got the job because he happened to be the brother of one of the general manager's good friends.

So yeah, the dishwashging staff is almost entirely black. The black bartender and manager simply are awesome, and the black busboy only got the job because his sister was friends with the head manager.

Now...think about this. I, AS A FREAKING BUSBOY, could tell that the new waiter was going to get fired soon. Would I have given her a chance? Sure. She seemed good enough, for as long as she was there. Hell, the managers gave her a chance.

Here's the thing. Based on her skin colour and her speech, I would've had second thoughts. I would've hired her anyway, but I would've secretly been uncomfortable with hiring her.

And man, I wanted to be wrong abouther. I really did. But when you've got a black manager who'se in charge of hiring people, and that black manager hasn't hired a black waiter in 6 months, you sort of have to wonder why.

And there are two options that I can think of. Option one is that the black guy who is incharge of hiring waiters happens to be racist against black people.

The second possibility is that the black manager is not racist against black people, but has on;y found one suitable black waiter in the last 6 months. Which, is in a way a LOT worse than the first possibility.

And the second possibility is what really bugs me. First possbility doesn't bug me at all. If one racist is the only reason that we've only had one black waiter, I could accept that. After all, that would be just one racist out of many.

What bothers me is the thought that te manager is blzck. That all but one black person who applied in the last 6 months got fired. That that waiter then got fired in less than 2 weeks,.The thought that if te managers aren';t discriminatory about blacks, that the lack of black waiers is aklmost ENTIRELY a result of black people ****ing up.

And as a black guy, T^HAT'S what bothers me..

DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DeeJayInphinity

I don't think them acting like saints will change the mind of people who want to deport them if they entered this country illegaly. I haven't lived in a county in which hispanics made up a sizeable population since I was in middle school, but to be fair I did notice most of the things you write about and while it is tragic I think it has a lot to do with the county where I lived as a whole than with the hispanic population. Because I lived in a poor county where kids were just abandoned either through absentee parents--those working so many hours that they barely see their kids for more than an hour a day-- or those in single parent homes who don't have time for their children. Now as an immigrant I can empathize somewhat with what you described and my best advice is to stop caring, I live you with this empathic statement "Do you", meaning be true to yourself rather than constantly worrying about what other people think about you or your ethnicity. I am reluctant to say race because hispanics come in all flavors, its not really a racial group is it but a language/regional thing.

numismatic

It would certainly help, however, and it would also help if those girls would turned off the factory for once in their lives. Whenever I see people speaking out against immigration, they don't just mention the number of immigrants moving into the country. I doubt that's such a big issue since there's a lot of room for all of us in here.. They use a lot of gang statistics, jail population statistics, and employment statistics. They see that there are a lot of Mexicans/Latinos in jail for gang-related crimes, there are a lot of Latino-gangs all over the United States and then they quote a big ass number to give an idea of how many latinos are involved in gangs, and then they move on to the teen pregnancy statistics, which are all horrible.

It just sickens me to see so many people ruining everyone else's chances.

I'm not saying that these stereoytpes are true, I'm just saying that they're blatantly problematic within the latino population.. I know there are a lot of latinos out there who are good people who follow the rules..The reason I said "Mexican" is because I've grown up in a Mexican community and young teens don't just get pregnant here but in Mexico as well. I'm not sure about other countries or other nationalities, so I try not to make too many assumptions. But whatever works..

Laymsp0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Laymsp0t
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts

Okay, I don't make race topics, and I generally find them stupid. But I'm going to make one anyway.

So anyway, I'm black. And as a black person, one of the things that pisses me off to no end is when black people act just like how racist people expect them to act. Especially when it's me.

Example: Does anyone remember that Chappelle's show sketch where Dave Chappelle is on a plane and asks for a meal, and the stwardess says that she has chicken and fish? Haha. Then a little black minstrel genie appears on Dave's shoulder and says "get the chicken!" But Dave says he wants the fish. So then the stewardess goes to get the fish. But then she comes back and tells Dave that they're out of fish. And dave asks how the chicken is prepared, and she tells him that it's fried. Then the little dude on his shoulder says "HALLELUYA!!" and does a little minstrel jig.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

So anyway, there was a new waiter at the restaurant where I work. And she's black. Only black waiter in the whole place. First black waiter I've seen in the 6 months I've been there. So I just started thinking, "well, she's not gonna be here long."

Fast forward to a couple of weeks later. She gets fired. When I ask around as to why, I find out that one day whe it was foggy and there was a lot of condensation on the windows of the restaurant, she wrote obscene messages on the windows as a joke.

And I just had to shake my head in shame.

I mean, damn. 50 freaking waiters working at the place, all but one or two being white. For at least a half a year, not one ****ing black waiter. This chick gets hired, despite being black, and she has to **** it up by doing some absolutely stupid ass ghetto ****.

And what pisses me off is that now, when the next 20 black people apply for the job, they're gonna have the odds stacked against them even more, just because the only black person to have that job in the last 6 months ****ed things up by being stupid.

Now, I'm just wondering how you guys feel about this. Like, does it absolutely piss you off and make you saddened when you see people of your race/ethnic group acting exactly like the stereotypes about them? Or do you really not care?

Or do you SOMETIMES care, but other times NOT care? As in, I live in the ghetto, so I see lots of black people acting like STEREOTYPICAL black people. But hey, it's the ghetto. What else am I gonna expect? But when I see black people who have everything going well for them, and they STILL **** things up, that just makes me angry and sad.

Does the same thing happen to you? For all of the hispanics, asians, Irish-Americans out there, etc, does this sort of stuff bother you as much as it bothers me? Or am I just being silly?

MrGeezer
I dont know why you grouped Irish Americans with blacks and hispanics. I take real offense to that. I, like many of your black "leaders" say that black people are their own worst enemies, and the ONLY thing holding yourselves down.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="leegar88"]Why disd you automatically assume she wasn't going to be there long, and she wasn't doing anything extremely ghetto. I have seen plenty of people who weren't black write stupid things on a window. But agree it is stupid when people act stereotypical.leegar88

It kind of seems like you are making this a race issue when you don't need to. I mean there could be better places hiring, and also the person in charge of your job probablly isn't ignorant and won't judge the whole race by one person. Also it kind of seems like you were doing the stereotyping.

1) There are no better restaurants hiring. There are no better restaurants within a 1000 mile radius. People travel here from Japan and Germany and Russia just to eat at our awesome restaurant.

2) Yes, I OBVIOUSLY was doing the stereotyping. I think I stated that pretty clearly. However, what saddens me weas that I was right. I wanted to be wrong, I really did. I was rooting for her to be one of the best waiters that ever workd here. But shne was gonna screw it up. I knew it. I ****ing knw it was gonna happen. When it happened after only 2 weeks, I wanted to cry.

Dude, I don;t tak ANY pride or pleasue in tis. This makes me sad as hell.

This is like when I'm about tio go to th movies with oneof my white friends, and they joke about how black people are gonna screw it up.

And I'm like,"hey, did you forget that I am black? Just stop with that racial ****."

Then they say that they're sorry, and we go to the movies together.

And it turns out that when the movie starts playing, a group of 6 or 7 black peoplesstartd hooting and hollering, And you're just shaking your head ins shamr.

numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 numismatic
C'mon you and I both know that black people can be just as prejuidiced against black people as any other person can be. But I digress, your original post made it sound like the girl was fired not only for her character but in getting fired that she has irrevocably damaged the chances of black waiters in that restaurant forever. Just how many black people have applied for the job in the past six months? I don't know the exact logistics of running a restaurant but if one jackass got fired for being a jackass I don't see how that has anything to do with race. Maybe I am a naive lefty but I don't think that the manager is all of a sudden going to stop hiring qualified applicants. I see this as less of a race issue than you though which is surprising considering that I go to an HBCU with strong leftist philosophical approach with a constant theme of pride. America, assuming that you do live in America, is a wonderful place despite the inequities you can rise above them if you put in the effort. This girl obviously didn't and I am not so sure that there was any inequity in your work place in respect to her. I cannot claim that your manager is a racist itching to fire her at any excuse simply because I don't have all the facts, but I do know that racism and prejuidice knows no color which is ironic for such a hateful ideal. But strong evidence points to the girl being a jackass, her getting what she deserves, and not really a racial issue at all. If black people are clamoring to waiter in your region I am sure that one will turn up eventually. if not, the manager can always give one of the dishwashers a break. They've proven themselves right?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer

Maybe I am a naive lefty but I don't think that the manager is all of a sudden going to stop hiring qualified applicants.numismatic

No, that's exactly my poitn.

I KNOW that black people are applying.

She was the only black person hired in at least 6 months.

If te mnanagers have NOT been hiringany black applucants within the last 6 months, and those managers are NOT biased against blacks, that indicates that in the last 6 months, there has only been ONE black applicant who was good enough to get hired.

And she ****ed it up in just about the most stupid way imaginable.

And THAT'S what I find absolutely depressing. That after six months of having to turn down lack applicants, the one black applicant tat they hire ends up getting fired for doing some of the mopst ghetto **** ever done by any waiter.

numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 numismatic
I would like to know just how many black people applied for this job. bah, what is irrefutable is that her firings is in no way racial going by your posts. Therefore it really isn't a racial topic, If the managers really wanted black waiters above all else then they wouldn't be above looking past character flaws, but clearly the management is operating on the basis that nobody deserves a free ride based on their skin color which is admirable.
hell_blazer899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hell_blazer899
Member since 2006 • 1907 Posts
Most people lack stereotypical judgment and are confused as such.
leegar88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 leegar88
I know how you feel Geezer but there will always be people who fit stereotypes we can't change that.