"Global warming believers are feeling the heat"

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

On Friday the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change delivers its latest verdict on the state of man-made global warming. Though the details are a secret, one thing is clear: the version of events you will see and hear in much of the media, especially from partis pris organisations like the BBC, will be the opposite of what the IPCCs Fifth Assessment Report actually says.

As an exercise in bravura spin, these claims are up there with Churchills attempts to reinvent the British Expeditionary Forces humiliating retreat from Dunkirk as a victory. In truth, though, the new report offers scant consolation to those many alarmists whose careers depend on talking up the threat. It says not that they are winning the war to persuade the world of the case for catastrophic anthropogenic climate change but that the battle is all but lost.

Source.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
I wish I could make a living writing bullshit.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Any article with the phrase, 'eco-brainwashed populace', is pretty garbage worthy.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts
I wish I could make a living writing bullshit.Person0
You probably could if you wanted. As a first step I would check to see if Fox News or The Daily Mail is currently hiring. If not I'm sure there are plenty of other avenues.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
I wish I could make a living writing bullshit.Person0
Is this post for or against global warming believers?
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420783/Worlds-climate-scientists-confess-Global-warming-just-QUARTER-thought--computers-got-effects-greenhouse-gases-wrong.html#ixzz2gW9OwNoR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Most global scientists are backing off all their crazy claims.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AdamPA1006

I feel really sorry for anyone who changes their life and pays out the ass for "green" energy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="Person0"]I wish I could make a living writing bullshit.loco145
Is this post for or against global warming believers?

Its against idiots like the author of that 'news' article.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

why do people bother linking to blogs? 

Anybody can write these, literally anybody.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MakeMeaSammitch

World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420783/Worlds-climate-scientists-confess-Global-warming-just-QUARTER-thought--computers-got-effects-greenhouse-gases-wrong.html#ixzz2gW9OwNoR

AdamPA1006

so this would still mean global warming is occuring dumb ass.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="Person0"]I wish I could make a living writing bullshit.Serraph105
You probably could if you wanted. As a first step I would check to see if Fox News or The Daily Mail is currently hiring. If not I'm sure there are plenty of other avenues.

You gotta be good at it, and a master troll like Bill O'Reily.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Much much slower than all these experts thought. AL gore said in his BS noble price speech in 07 that there would be no ice caps in 2013
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

AdamPA1006
Yep.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

MakeMeaSammitch
On either side of any argument.....
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Oh wow some conservative said it on his blog, it must be true!! Especially when he has a personal stake in opposing the belief of climate change!
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

LJS9502_basic

On either side of any argument.....

exactly.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]

AdamPA1006

Much much slower than all these experts thought. AL gore said in his BS noble price speech in 07 that there would be no ice caps in 2013

So you've finally come around to believing in it?

Progress is progress.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

On Friday the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change delivers its latest verdict on the state of man-made global warming. Though the details are a secret, one thing is clear: the version of events you will see and hear in much of the media, especially from partis pris organisations like the BBC, will be the opposite of what the IPCCs Fifth Assessment Report actually says.

As an exercise in bravura spin, these claims are up there with Churchills attempts to reinvent the British Expeditionary Forces humiliating retreat from Dunkirk as a victory. In truth, though, the new report offers scant consolation to those many alarmists whose careers depend on talking up the threat. It says not that they are winning the war to persuade the world of the case for catastrophic anthropogenic climate change but that the battle is all but lost.

Source.

loco145

I thought you did not write that. After reading the source, I became sure of it.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Translation: people don't know what La Nina is, how statistics work. 

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]so this would still mean global warming is occuring dumb ass.

MakeMeaSammitch

Progress is progress.

I believe that humans contribute too it, but in NO WAY is it a cause for alarm or big lifestyle change. I'm not gonna get my panties in a twist, like I say in every global warming thread, just wait for the next big VOLCANO eruption to naturally bring back down earths temperatures. Oh and for every pound of carbon you cut from your yearly pollution or however you want to call it, there is 5 people in china and 3 in india who dont give AF, so I'm not gonna spend extra tax for green energy, or spend thousands extra on a hybrid
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
We talked about this subject in my environmental and resource economics class back in the day
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdamPA1006
We talked about this subject in my environmental and resource economics class back in the daydave123321
Did they brainwash you? In my friends school they played inconvient truth when it came out in science class, he got a note from his mom saying she didnt want her son exposed to that propaganda
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="dave123321"]We talked about this subject in my environmental and resource economics class back in the dayAdamPA1006
Did they brainwash you? In my friends school they played inconvient truth when it came out in science class, he got a note from his mom saying she didnt want her son exposed to that propaganda

She was afraid that her son is not intelligent enough to come to his own conclusions when presented with an argument?
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="dave123321"]We talked about this subject in my environmental and resource economics class back in the dayEngrish_Major

She was afraid that her son is not intelligent enough to come to his own conclusions when presented with an argument?

Not when its like 8th or 9th grade and you dont get the other side of the argument presented to you right in front of the class. smh dude.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] Did they brainwash you? In my friends school they played inconvient truth when it came out in science class, he got a note from his mom saying she didnt want her son exposed to that propaganda

Not when its like 8th or 9th grade and you dont get the other side of the argument presented to you right in front of the class. smh dude.

Uhh... why couldn't she do it then? Relying on the school to present all the information in a given subject (especially when it's something that the parent obviously is concerned about)... not great parenting IMO.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdamPA1006

We only have 2 years left to save the planet according to Al Gore http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2006/01/27/algore_we_have_ten_years_left_before_earth_cooks

Where is he now? Why isnt he freaking out and alarming everyone? The movie was pure propaganda cash grab BS.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
[QUOTE="dave123321"]We talked about this subject in my environmental and resource economics class back in the dayAdamPA1006

Poor kid
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dave123321
I was not brainwashed
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Meh, there is a mountain of scientific data and research backing up man made climate change claims, so until there is an equally big mountain of data refuting it, I will continue to not care.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"] She was afraid that her son is not intelligent enough to come to his own conclusions when presented with an argument?

Uhh... why couldn't she do it then? Relying on the school to present all the information in a given subject (especially when it's something that the parent obviously is concerned about)... not great parenting IMO.

Dude come on a school cant just present any random argument. Let me show some movies about God and creationism, the parents can handle of the duties of disproving it.....
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Engrish_Major
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] Not when its like 8th or 9th grade and you dont get the other side of the argument presented to you right in front of the class. smh dude.

Dude come on a school cant just present any random argument. Let me show some movies about God and creationism, the parents can handle of the duties of disproving it.....

Are they taking a religious class? Sure. Show the movies and let the students think critically about the content.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dave123321
Yeah agree with major on this. Mom hurt her son more then helped. Can't protect your kids from the realities of life
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]so this would still mean global warming is occuring dumb ass.

MakeMeaSammitch

Progress is progress.

I like how you say "believe."  

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]Uhh... why couldn't she do it then? Relying on the school to present all the information in a given subject (especially when it's something that the parent obviously is concerned about)... not great parenting IMO.

Are they taking a religious class? Sure. Show the movies and let the students think critically about the content.

Fair point but I dont think 8th and 9th graders can do that, they take whats given. Its a moot point because all the claims made in the movie are hogwash. We arent cooking yet, ice caps are doing great, global warming is much slower than predicted, etc
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ace6301
I swear you can always tell when someone knows nothing about this subject when they constantly present Al Gore as if he was the end all be all of this because he made a movie once.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdamPA1006
I swear you can always tell when someone knows nothing about this subject when they constantly present Al Gore as if he was the end all be all of this because he made a movie once.Ace6301
Arent you the one who throws around that "97%" of scientists support the man made global warming theory? You really think that that is true? What source do you want dude? The fact is "global warming" is much slower than predicted, if its there at all. And the more important question, why should I care? Why should I change my life? Al gore is the one brought the global warming craze to the mainstream and pop culture.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dave123321

Prof was right winged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I swear you can always tell when someone knows nothing about this subject when they constantly present Al Gore as if he was the end all be all of this because he made a movie once.AdamPA1006
Arent you the one who throws around that "97%" of scientists support the man made global warming theory? You really think that that is true? What source do you want dude? The fact is "global warming" is much slower than predicted, if its there at all. And the more important question, why should I care? Why should I change my life? Al gore is the one brought the global warming craze to the mainstream and pop culture.

From plenty of surveys that show 90%+ of climatologists saying its human caused.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I swear you can always tell when someone knows nothing about this subject when they constantly present Al Gore as if he was the end all be all of this because he made a movie once.AdamPA1006

It's 97% of climate scientists, not just scientists which is pretty fair considering I really doubt you care what a economics professor has to say about biology. It isn't just one study giving that number either. What source do I want? A good one. I never seem to get them, just blog spam or some random ass politician who saw said blog spam. I'm not asking that you change your life. You seem to be extremely positive this isn't happening though even though it is. If people want to make the world a better place and you don't why are you so against that? Yes, Al Gore brought it into the mainstream. Good for you for noticing that.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Translation: people don't know what La Nina is, how statistics work. 

Slow_Show
You don't need a formal education to debunk global warming apologists, duh.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]I swear you can always tell when someone knows nothing about this subject when they constantly present Al Gore as if he was the end all be all of this because he made a movie once.Ace6301

It's 97% of climate scientists, not just scientists which is pretty fair considering I really doubt you care what a economics professor has to say about biology. It isn't just one study giving that number either. What source do I want? A good one. I never seem to get them, just blog spam or some random ass politician who saw said blog spam. I'm not asking that you change your life. You seem to be extremely positive this isn't happening though even though it is. If people want to make the world a better place and you don't why are you so against that? Yes, Al Gore brought it into the mainstream. Good for you for noticing that.

I agree a lot with what you say. I submit that humans cause the earth to get hotter. That new UN study is revising their numbers. Why do you care so much about climate change? Why we even in this topic? Why cant we have our .1C degree increase a year and be on with it? Why does the US Gov have to spend billions propping up green energy companies when china and india offset our carbon savings and then some? Thank you for your candid answers you are always enlightening to talk with. To be clear I am not positive it isnt happening. I am sayings its happening slower than the projections and al gore said. Much slower. And why not just wait for a volcano like krackatoa that caused little ice age a greatly lowered earths temperatures? Why spend billions when a volcano can do it for us
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I like how that "author" consistantly put things he didn't "agree with" in "quotations". it shows he's a very "unbiased" reporter who only cares about "facts" and not "political agendas"

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] Much much slower than all these experts thought. AL gore said in his BS noble price speech in 07 that there would be no ice caps in 2013AdamPA1006

Progress is progress.

I believe that humans contribute too it, but in NO WAY is it a cause for alarm or big lifestyle change. I'm not gonna get my panties in a twist, like I say in every global warming thread, just wait for the next big VOLCANO eruption to naturally bring back down earths temperatures. Oh and for every pound of carbon you cut from your yearly pollution or however you want to call it, there is 5 people in china and 3 in india who dont give AF, so I'm not gonna spend extra tax for green energy, or spend thousands extra on a hybrid

I'm seeing some grade a double talk ITT.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Arent you the one who throws around that "97%" of scientists support the man made global warming theory? You really think that that is true? What source do you want dude?

The fact is "global warming" is much slower than predicted, if its there at all. And the more important question, why should I care? Why should I change my life? Al gore is the one brought the global warming craze to the mainstream and pop culture. AdamPA1006

Here's the cool thing about science:

W. R. L. Anderegg, Expert Credibility in Climate Change, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Vol. 107 No. 27, 12107-12109 (21 June 2010); DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1003187107.

P. T. Doran & M. K. Zimmerman, "Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change," Eos Transactions American Geophysical Union Vol. 90 Issue 3 (2009), 22; DOI: 10.1029/2009EO030002.

N. Oreskes, Beyond the Ivory Tower: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change, Science Vol. 306 no. 5702, p. 1686 (3 December 2004); DOI: 10.1126/science.1103618.

Those are all studies backing the whole ~97% of climate scientists support the case for anthropogenic global warming thing. If their methodology and/or conclusions are flawed, you can just go right ahead and point out where they went wrong! As a rule they generally even leave their contact information in their papers, so you can even let the authors know how much smarter you are than them!

Global warming isn't slower than predicted. It currently appears slower than predicted if you compare the past 10-15 or so years of temperature data to simulations that are designed to be accurate on multi-decade scales, but that's because only a stupid person would judge a multi-decade scale simulation on 10-15 years of data. Climate by definition is about long-term trends, and it's all a moot point anyway because we already know that mean global temps over the past decade were damped by a prevalence of La Nina events (and some other weather/short-term climactic events).

And the reason you should care is the climate is kind of a big f*cking deal. You're not just dicking around with the thermostat, you're changing one of the most fundamental factors in how the earth functions. One of the better examples being the impact of changing precipitation patterns in the US resulting from climate change. Some places get a little wetter and some places get a little dryer, right?

Sure, but it turns out there are some industries that are kinda reliant on it precipitating X amount in location Y, to the point where a recent study estimated precipitation changes alone will cost the US 7 million jobs and $1 trillion in GDP by 2050 (and it's probably a conservative estimate since it doesn't cover international trade). That's essentially a 4/5ths scale great recession, and it only takes into account one facet of climate change. But yeah, I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I don't feel any heat. This is actually the coolest year I've experience.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] Much much slower than all these experts thought. AL gore said in his BS noble price speech in 07 that there would be no ice caps in 2013AdamPA1006

Progress is progress.

...So what your saying is that there is no cause for alarm or any change in life style its okay to just keep burning up all the fossil fuels till there is a shortage and a war.. You refuse to spend extra money to help us find cleaner alternative fuels? I'll keep that in mind when china invades us I'll make sure to use you as a human shield when I'm running.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dave123321

Progress is progress.

We talked about this in our class, and it seems like solutions need to be implemented but certain solutions are spitting in the wind due to large players not doing their part
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"] Arent you the one who throws around that "97%" of scientists support the man made global warming theory? You really think that that is true? What source do you want dude?

The fact is "global warming" is much slower than predicted, if its there at all. And the more important question, why should I care? Why should I change my life? Al gore is the one brought the global warming craze to the mainstream and pop culture. Slow_Show

Here's the cool thing about science:

W. R. L. Anderegg, Expert Credibility in Climate Change, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Vol. 107 No. 27, 12107-12109 (21 June 2010); DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1003187107.

P. T. Doran & M. K. Zimmerman, "Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change," Eos Transactions American Geophysical Union Vol. 90 Issue 3 (2009), 22; DOI: 10.1029/2009EO030002.

N. Oreskes, Beyond the Ivory Tower: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change, Science Vol. 306 no. 5702, p. 1686 (3 December 2004); DOI: 10.1126/science.1103618.

Those are all studies backing the whole ~97% of climate scientists support the case for anthropogenic global warming thing. If their methodology and/or conclusions are flawed, you can just go right ahead and point out where they went wrong! As a rule they generally even leave their contact information in their papers, so you can even let the authors know how much smarter you are than them!

Global warming isn't slower than predicted. It currently appears slower than predicted if you compare the past 10-15 or so years of temperature data to simulations that are designed to be accurate on multi-decade scales, but that's because only a stupid person would judge a multi-decade scale simulation on 10-15 years of data. Climate by definition is about long-term trends, and it's all a moot point anyway because we already know that mean global temps over the past decade were damped by a prevalence of La Nina events (and some other weather/short-term climactic events).

And the reason you should care is the climate is kind of a big f*cking deal. You're not just dicking around with the thermostat, you're changing one of the most fundamental factors in how the earth functions. One of the better examples being the impact of changing precipitation patterns in the US resulting from climate change. Some places get a little wetter and some places get a little dryer, right?

Sure, but it turns out there are some industries that are kinda reliant on it precipitating X amount in location Y, to the point where a recent study estimated precipitation changes alone will cost the US 7 million jobs and $1 trillion in GDP by 2050 (and it's probably a conservative estimate since it doesn't cover international trade). That's essentially a 4/5ths scale great recession, and it only takes into account one facet of climate change. But yeah, I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about.

Even If I give you all that- FINE. Its changing. Please answer these two questions. 1. Why should I change my life when 10 other people around the globe arent changing theirs? Its not only the US that is pumping the environment. China pollutes huge and so does india, and thats not even considering the impact of developing and industrializing contries increased CO2/pollutant output. I'm unwilling to put money towards green energy just to make a statement.

2. Why not wait for natural events to lower earths temperature? like natural ocean circulation patterns.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AdamPA1006
[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]So you've finally come around to believing in it?

Progress is progress.

WilliamRLBaker

I will bet you any amount of money china will not invade in our lifetimes. ...So what your saying is that there is no cause for alarm or any change in life style its okay to just keep burning up all the fossil fuels till there is a shortage and a war.. You refuse to spend extra money to help us find cleaner alternative fuels? I'll keep that in mind when china invades us I'll make sure to use you as a human shield when I'm running.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Fox should give me my own show, for an hour. 15 minutes or half an hour could be in Latin, though I'de have to learn it first. Or I can just read off documents.