Questions about High School

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bluemantan
Member since 2011 • 320 Posts

Well I am in eigth grade and I am closing in on freshman class registrations. I have been really thinking about what kind of classes to take in my freshman year of High School.

In 6th grade I did Pre-Algebra and in 7th grade I did algebra. Algebra was sort of hard for me in seventh grade, as to be honest school has generally been so easy for me that during fourth quarter when algebra suddenly got so much harder, I was not prepared to do well in it, because I did not have the study skills. I have never been one to study much for tests, as generally paying attention in class for me has worked. In 7th Grade, I got A, A, A, and C+ in Algebra as my quarterly grades.

Well I decided to repeat Algebra in eigth grade, which I sort of regret doing. I have learned many study skills since then, and I feel that if I had put even a little bit of effort, I could have turned that C+ into a B+ or an A- and would have felt that it was right to continue on to Geomotry in Eigth grade.

Well anyway, I have really improved my study skills and have been doing good in eigth grade so far.

I also joined the student council, and was able to rise up to an executive position very quickly. I have been told by the man that leads student council that he will ensure that I have a spot freshman year on the high school student council, as I have really put a lot of work into it this year.

So I have a few questions:

First off, how many honors classes is it wise to take freshman year? I am a fairly smart and self directed person when it comes to school. All of the teachers have been telling me that its roughly an hour of homework a night, but then again, when the teachers say it is a thirty minute assignment, I can generally finish it in fifteen. I am a fast worker. I feel that I can handle about two hours of work a night, with three or four every once in a blue moon at the most.

I have been thinking that since math is by far my easiest subject, and I am a very mathematical person, I should take honors geomotry. I also have been thinking about honors world history, as I am a good reader.

Is two honors classes a good plan, or should I take three? The third one would probably be biology or something science-related.

Also, I know that colleges look for extra-curricular activites, and I plan to join student council freshman year and continue all four years of college.

I am also thinking about joining cross country, as I really enjoy running. Running is the only sport I care for however.

Lastly, at my school you have the option of french, spanish, or hebrew. I took french 1 in 7th/8th grade, but however if there is one area I really struggle, it is language. I hate languages to be honest, as it is not easy for me to do well in them as I simply do not enjoy them that much. In high school, I can either start in Spanish 1 or French 2. Spanish seems a lot easier than french to me, which would probably get rid of a lot of my frustrations. What do colleges look at in terms of language? 2, 3, or 4 years?

And in difficulty, how does french compare to spanish?

My lifelong goal is to go to Michigan state.

I would really appreciate some advice guys, thanks.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Get ready to be pounded.. krelboyne
swivet-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 swivet-
Member since 2011 • 536 Posts
At my HS honors classes were a joke. Same material as the lower level class with less written work. Ask kids who are in the HS and have honors how easy the classes are to handle and make your decision based off of that. I'd say take as many honors classes as you can, but that's based off of them being so easy at my school.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Honors classes aren't worth doing. If you want to look good for college you would take advanced placement classes.
swivet-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 swivet-
Honors classes aren't worth doing. If you want to look good for college you would take advanced placement classes.NiKva
At my school there were no AP classes available until Junior year. You'd take honors Freshman and Sophomore and move to AP for Junior and Senior.
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
carbon fibre does reduce petrol costs in cars.
swivet-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 swivet-
carbon fibre does reduce petrol costs in cars.ycdeo
what the f uck, man
bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bluemantan
At my HS honors classes were a joke. Same material as the lower level class with less written work. Ask kids who are in the HS and have honors how easy the classes are to handle and make your decision based off of that. I'd say take as many honors classes as you can, but that's based off of them being so easy at my school.swivet-
Good Idea, I will probably talk to a few friends of mine that are in college now.
bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bluemantan
[QUOTE="NiKva"]Honors classes aren't worth doing. If you want to look good for college you would take advanced placement classes.swivet-
At my school there were no AP classes available until Junior year. You'd take honors Freshman and Sophomore and move to AP for Junior and Senior.

Same for my school, i'm pretty sure.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
This is my favorite poster from now on
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
I'd translate the meaning of this, but I'm would need to research everything about cars before being able to put it into a comprehensible sentence. Even so, it does make sense for this topic.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Just something i noticed: extra-curriculars and academics aren't limited to those available in HS.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Honors classes aren't worth doing. If you want to look good for college you would take advanced placement classes.NiKva
agreed
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Don't get honors. Get advance placement classes.
sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts
AP classes if you think you can handle it and make sure the high school you go to has them.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

in the last school i went to there were no honors classes as it was an international school that made all the regular classes up to a higher level without the extra nice GPA...here, honors are significantly harder so many drop out but i guess that's the way honors should be...I take mostly AP now though :)

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Wait, your school offers Hebrew...

Interesting.

Anyway onto advice:

1.AP clas s > honors. Take a clas s pathway that gets you to AP quickly.

2.Space out your hard clas ses, so you can actually enjoy your senior year.

3.Get involved in extra curicular that you are good at, and enjoy. Eventually try to become an official/leader in said club.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

the only classes that matter are AP classes. as long as you're not lazy, do all the work, and study, you can do well in them and score well on the AP tests.

just take whatever interests you. if you want to have a good GPA, take easy, on-level classes. there will be a lot of f*cking annoying ass idiots in your classes though. that's the good thing about taking honors or AP classes, there's a MUCH less likely chance of having annoying ass idiots in those classes.

also beware of the 1st level of foreign language classes. they're a cesspool of stupidity, you should be good once you get past the 3rd level though.

bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bluemantan

the only classes that matter are AP classes. as long as you're not lazy, do all the work, and study, you can do well in them and score well on the AP tests.

just take whatever interests you. if you want to have a good GPA, take easy, on-level classes. there will be a lot of f*cking annoying ass idiots in your classes though. that's the good thing about taking honors or AP classes, there's a MUCH less likely chance of having annoying ass idiots in those classes.

also beware of the 1st level of foreign language classes. they're a cesspool of stupidity, you should be good once you get past the 3rd level though.

needled24-7
Well, my school doesn't allow AP classes until Junior Year. I want to ensure that I have a strong foundation for getting into Michigan though. Freshman year, should I focus on taking a few honors classes, or elsewhere?
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

bluemantan
Well, my school doesn't allow AP classes until Junior Year. I want to ensure that I have a strong foundation for getting into Michigan though. Freshman year, should I focus on taking a few honors classes, or elsewhere?

Take as much as extra curricular activities, play sports and participate to clubs and just do a lot of school stuff. You dont have to do honors imo, College peeps will be more interested on what you did in HS as a whole student, not juust focus on academics, but be a well-rounded student.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

bluemantan

as another poster said, the honors classes are easier than the on level classes. i found this to be true as well. you can do the minimum in honors classes and still get a B.

Sscnum21mvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Sscnum21mvp
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts

Lol. First two years of high school are a joke. Im a junior now and it's challenging, but Freshman year was soooo easy and sophmore year was a little harder but still a piece of cake. High School is overall just easy. Btw I took a lot of honors classes and now I am in AP ones.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

Lol. First two years of high school are a joke. Im a junior now and it's challenging, but Freshman year was soooo easy and sophmore year was a little harder but still a piece of cake. High School is overall just easy. Btw I took a lot of honors classes and now I am in AP ones.

Sscnum21mvp
Junior year isn't anymore challenging than any other year.
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
AP and honors classes aren't worth it unless you're the hard working type. I'd just stick with regular classes. Also language classes are pointless as well, unless again you want to take them.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

AP and honors classes are pointless. Unless your school has an agreement from a college and you end up at that college. AP classes don't transfer everwhere. If you want to get ahead junior/senior year. Look at taking some College courses.

B_MY_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 B_MY_D
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Well I can tell you one thing, French is easier than Spanish.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Oh. You get to CHOOSE? Because in 8th grade I wanted all the regular classes and instead I got put in all CP classes. Least I got to choose my electives and weld in FFA.
SystemShock23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 SystemShock23
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Honors classes are a joke. AP classes acutally give you college credit, well for my school they do, so it's a good idea to take initiative and take some AP classes. But repeating Algebra even if you have a C+? That was a pretty dumb move... If something is challenging you get help but to repeat the same class is just stupid if you have the choice of moving onto higher level classes. Take advantage of what you have, son.
bluemantan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bluemantan
Honors classes are a joke. AP classes acutally give you college credit, well for my school they do, so it's a good idea to take initiative and take some AP classes. But repeating Algebra even if you have a C+? That was a pretty dumb move... If something is challenging you get help but to repeat the same class is just stupid if you have the choice of moving onto higher level classes. Take advantage of what you have, son.SystemShock23
Well my teacher kind of prodded me into redoing it. It is not like full redoing it, but rather starting halfway through and finishing it throughout the year. To be honest back then I had never really had trouble in school, and by the time I figured out what changes had to be made it was too late to boost up my grade. I really regret the decision though, I don't want to make the same mistake by taking the easy way out in high school.
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
I'm a senior so I can help you out a bit. Basically, don't worry about anything. Freshman year is completely unimportant. I can't even remember what classes I took. What you want to work on, however, is building a good foundation to get into AP classes junior and senior year. More importantly junior year, as those are the grades colleges look at. Here is how you should plan your career out: Freshman year - Get adjusted to high school life, learn some study habits, learn about teachers and classes that you want to take. Freshmen year is overlooked by most colleges because it is part of the adjustment period and you are coming in blind. Don't worry about your classes this year. Pick ones that sound interesting to you. Sophmore year - Build your base for junior year. If you want to take, say, AP Calculus, make sure you are taking the requisite classes. Junior year - Take as many AP classes as you feel you can balance and get good grades in. DON'T take hard AP classes this year! If you are good at math and science, take AP classes in those areas only. Senior year - Take the AP classes that you are unsure about. Senior year grades have very, very little importance in college admission. When the board is looking at your application, they will see your junior year grades and your senior year schedule. If you have hard AP classes listed for senior year, and all A's on your AP classes junior year, they will be very impressed, even if you fail all the AP classes you take after you are accepted. While you are doing this, make sure you are aware of the SAT. Take it early junior year so that you have chances to take it multiple times. If your school offers it, the PSAT is a good option as well. Actually, I would recommend the ACT if you are math based. Do that too. In regards to honors classes, there is no reason not to take them when they are offered. Typically, the honors class is no harder than the academic class. And the academic class is, in all honesty, full of the dumb kids who don't give a ****. You don't sound like that kind of person, so stay out of there. Personally, I have never taken a non-honors class and I have had straight A's throughout high school (4.75 GPA right now). IF the honors class is harder than the academic class, then that is where the weighting system comes in. If you put the effort required to get an A in the academic class, you are going to at least get a B. A "B" in an honors class = an "A" in an academic class, if you did not know this (likewise, a "C" in an AP class = an "A" in an academic class). Worst case scenario, you get a B, but you have an honors credit on your transcript. Best case scenario, the honors class is no harder and you get a free GPA point. You will find the best case scenario more often true. It is extremely easy to balance workloads in honors classes. As I said, I took as many as I could take. I've had semesters where I have had all honors classes, or all honors classes + AP classes. It's not hard at all. Your teachers say there is an hour of work? If that is per class, that's BS. Yes, you will have an hour of work probably over all your classes, but never in one class unless there is a large assignment such as an essay or project due. I'm taking AP Spanish, AP Calculus, Honors English, and Honors Physics at the moment, and even I have only about an hour of homework a night. And that hour is probably more spent on Facebook than anything else. But in truth, I am also a fast worker and I fly through homework. I usually spend half an hour doing calculus work, and then I go in to class the next day and people are talking about how many hours they took doing it. And what classes should you take? Make sure you fill out your credits and then take electives that sound fun, that's my only advice. I was required to take World History freshman year, so obviously I took that. I had to take 3 history classes (world history, civics and economics, and U.S. history), 4 math classes (which ones depend on your ability), 3 science classes (1 physical, 1 life, 1 earth), and 4 english classes (one each year). However it is at your school, make sure you follow it. As I've said, take honors classes if they are available. If you are mathematical, I highly recommend going as far as you can in math. If your school offers AP Calc, take it. The AP credit, assuming you do well on the exam, gets you out of calculus in college, and it is highly, highly likely you will have to take it no matter what your major is. I took honors geometry freshman year, honors algebra II sophmore year, honors pre-calculus junior year, and now AP calculus AB/BC senior year. Be wary though - you say you did not study well in algebra, but that you understand it now. Make sure you understand it as that algebra is the basis of everything you do in math forever. Don't be fooled by the name - Calculus is really just Algebra 3. Hell, the stuff we are doing you could do with knowledge from pre-algebra. Geometry is, IMO, a useless class, and even if you are good at math, you may do bad in that class. It isn't real math, as your geometry teacher will probably say. I tons of people beasting Calculus that had trouble in Geometry. I'm saying this because at my school, a lot of people get put off after taking geometry. As for extra-curriculars, sure, do student council if you have a spot available. Student council is a great way to get some extra-curriculars. It also counts as leadership positions for National Honors Society, which you definitely want to attempt to join. Personally, I just "participated" (signed up and never went to) in a few clubs. When you submit your application, for most schools at least, they don't require any confirmation that you actually did the activity. You can make up whatever you want really. Hell, you can make up that you were class president. Sports are also a great way to get extra-curriculars, but be careful here. You are taking honors classes, presumably AP classes, doing student council and probably other clubs, and you also want to commit to a sport? You seem to be worrying about time management, so I'm not sure you want to do this. If you think you can, go ahead, it's great. I played on my school's hockey teams, but we only had games once a week so it wasn't really a commitment (of course, if you read my college applications, it was!). At my school, cross country practices every day, including the weekends. On school days, they practice from the end of school to around 6 pm. I'm not sure how it is at your school, but if it is similar, it may be hard to balance your workload. And then the foreign language. Personally, I would choose a language that is both interesting to you and will help you in the future. As I said, I'm taking AP Spanish right now (I have also taken Latin - talk about useless). There are far more Hispanic people here in the South than there are French people, so I find that much more useful. Let's be honest here - Hebrew is useless. Don't take that. Pick between French or Spanish. I did do French when I lived in England when I was 5 years old, but unfortunately I can't remember much about it. I have no idea which one is easier, but I would lean towards Spanish. My guess is that you have already had interactions with Spanish in your life. Taco Bell, fiestas, nachos, etc. These are little stupid things but they do make you more familiar with a language. How many French phrases do you know vs. Spanish phrases? Anyway, I ended up typing much more than I expected, but I hope I provided some helpful information. Good luck!
powerman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 powerman89
Member since 2006 • 2517 Posts
How come no-one talks of IB? :P I'm taking it right now and it's pretty hardcore
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
*snip*stanleycup98
Holy f***... yeah, this guy knows what's going on. Read this.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
How come no-one talks of IB? :P I'm taking it right now and it's pretty hardcorepowerman89
International Baccalaureate isn't as widely used as the AP system in the U.S. as far as I know.
powerman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 powerman89
Member since 2006 • 2517 Posts

[QUOTE="stanleycup98"] Holy f***... yeah, this guy knows what's going on. Read this.CaptainAhab13
LOL YES I agree with basically all of it :)
[QUOTE="powerman89"]How come no-one talks of IB? :P I'm taking it right now and it's pretty hardcoreCaptainAhab13
International Baccalaureate isn't as widely used as the AP system in the U.S. as far as I know.

Ahh.. I see (from Canada btw)

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Lol you sound like you are trying to get into MIT or something... michigan state is not that hard to get into... just follow the standard ap class route 4 the subject you are the best in... I didn't take any ap classes and I made it in from my act scores alone... graduated with a 3.77...
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

Honor classes are easy, there are a few exceptions depending on the teacher and subject though.

Try going for AP classes, and take as many as you can handle.. push yourself, and if it's too hard just switch classes in the first couple of weeks.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
[QUOTE="ycdeo"]carbon fibre does reduce petrol costs in cars.swivet-
what the f uck, man

no you what the f uck!!! Dammit i want to know if that is a man or woman in your sig?
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Take all the honors courses you can. High school, especially freshman year isn't difficult at all. Just do the work and pay attention in class. You most likely won't even study much, if at all your freshman year, even with all honors.

Go through with the extracurricular like you mentioned but don't overload yourself to the point of exhaustion. No point in doing a dozen different things if your grades start slipping.

Go ahead and take Spanish... it's the most practical. Sure some of the other languages sound cool but Spanish is so much more useful if you follow up on it, not to mention it's kinda easy. It might be different for where you live but for our high school, everyone took 2 years if they planned to go to college. Some kids chose to take higher years but as far as college apps are concerned, 2 years is fine.

I took both French and Spanish... they felt about the same, Spanish was slightly easier I suppose.

I have no doubt you'll get into the college you want to. Sounds like you are very thorough and know what you want. Most people push off thoughts of college until late Junior year or Senior year. You won't be studying 2+ hours a night until you get to your AP classes and even then it's iffy.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I've never heard of an 8th grader this concerned about their education. In my experience honors classes aren't even different than normal classes. Even AP classes are barely different in the amount of coursework you have to do. Take as many honors classes as you can. If there's an option for honors, take it no matter what. Trust me, it's no different than normal and it will look better.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Only take honors/AP classes in subjects you like. You'll be miserable otherwise. Don't just load up your freshman year with tons of hard classes. Figure out how highschool works first.

1) You'll have lots of tedious, stupid assignments

2) Gym class sucks.

3) This is coming from a music student, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Im totally the anti-authority/anti-establishment guy.

4) Just dont go nuts with super hard courses- really take some time to get a feel for things.

waitaseck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 waitaseck
Member since 2006 • 2309 Posts
Run cross country and take as many honors/AP courses you can handle. Especially the run cross country part :P.
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
when u google ycdeo! he talks on cars! track my post are welcome.