Question for guitar players about originality in Thrash Metal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zezima940

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zezima940
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know! I think way too many Thrash Metal bands are hiding behind he "We are here to bring thrash back" line. No they are NOT bringing thrash back by making it super generic! I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre! :)
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Have you heard bands like Mekong Delta, Evil Dead, Toxik, Fog of War, Flotsam & Jetsam, Mordred, Vendetta and Wargasm? Thrash has some hidden gems that sound quite unique, but are completely unknown. Look on classicthrash for a list of bands.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Thrash, see I don't really put the iron cage that genres of music do.

There are plenty of bands and musicians now-a-days that can be put in many different categories or genres.

There is only so much you can explore, if you are to stay "pure" to one specific genre, it is inevitable that it starts sounding very familiar, or even the same!

I love just about any type of metal, as long as the damn vocalist/singer isn't overshadowing the actual music, which unfortunately happends with at least 50% of the bands out there.

Just speaking of Metal, I love stuff from Dream Theater, to Nevermore, to Iced Earth, to Symphony X, Anterior (awesome fairly recent band from Whales), Sylosis.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Vektor and Nevermore are the only modern thrash-rooted metal bands I really like. I'd reccomend giving both a listen. Vektor's 2009 album is AWESOME
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Try a different genre? I got into the "harder" forms of metal through Pantera... but now I'm loving Mastodon (sludge metal/progressive metal) and am finding some doom metal bands I like. Not every group in a genre is going to offer quality, original music. And it definitely isn't going to fall into your lap. Well, unless you are reading a music magazine/newspaper and just happen across am article about the life and times of a band with an intriguing concept and history (how I discovered Sepultura).
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

In my younger days I use to be big into thrash metal, but yeah, it just got terribly stale after awhile. Sometimes I still listen to Slayer (who I still quite enjoy) or maybe Testament (though I prefer their 90s stuff, when they started mixing in death metal elements), or some old Anthrax for nostalgia.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

In my younger days I use to be big into thrash metal, but yeah, it just got terribly stale after awhile. Sometimes I still listen to Slayer (who I still quite enjoy) or maybe Testament (though I prefer their 90s stuff, when they started mixing in death metal elements), or some old Anthrax for nostalgia.

worlock77
Pretty much this. I occasionally listen to Metallica's album Ride The Lightning for nostalgia.
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

meh, more for me.

Municipal Waste is gonna f*** you up!

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Thrash has never been a genre known for being fantastically unique or complex, it's about the atmosphere it creates.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
The original thrash is the only original thrash. 80's thrash ftw. And Metallica for nostalgia? Sorry but Master of Puppets is timeless.
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts
What's the difference between heavy metal songs? Their names.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

What's the difference between heavy metal songs? Their names.Spitfirer

Spoken like someone who's never heard much of it.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#13 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="Zezima940"]After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know! I think way too many Thrash Metal bands are hiding behind he "We are here to bring thrash back" line. No they are NOT bringing thrash back by making it super generic! I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre! :)

If you really want to play some tough good old thrash guitar pick up the Megadeth Hangar 18 tab book. Anyone who has played songs from that cd knows the guitar work is anything but a bunch of power chords.
communistcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 communistcat
Member since 2010 • 1531 Posts

[QUOTE="Zezima940"]After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know! I think way too many Thrash Metal bands are hiding behind he "We are here to bring thrash back" line. No they are NOT bringing thrash back by making it super generic! I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre! :)vfibsux
If you really want to play some tough good old thrash guitar pick up the Megadeth Hangar 18 tab book. Anyone who has played songs from that cd knows the guitar work is anything but a bunch of power chords.

Yeah, Megadeth is one of the best examples of unique sounding thrash bands.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Yeah, Megadeth is one of the best examples of unique sounding thrash bands.

communistcat

Almost entirely because of Marty Friedman, who is skilled in many styles of music and did basically all the guitar work that made them stand out.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

If you really want to play some tough good old thrash guitar pick up the Megadeth Hangar 18 tab book. Anyone who has played songs from that cd knows the guitar work is anything but a bunch of power chords. vfibsux

Yeah, some of the first really difficult guitar pieces I learned were from Rust in Peace while I was in college. It took me several months to learn Lucretia and Tornado of Souls and they helped form the foundation of skills I still use today.

Zezima940

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zezima940
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="Zezima940"]After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know! I think way too many Thrash Metal bands are hiding behind he "We are here to bring thrash back" line. No they are NOT bringing thrash back by making it super generic! I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre! :)

I talk about the rythm guitars. The rythm guitars are all power chords. But yeah I admit their solos really stand out, especially for the time they were made in! :D