Question for Atheists that celebrate Christmas: Why?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Reed_Bowie (506 posts) -
Most common arguments I hear, and my responses: Argument: "Christmas is a Pagan Holiday" Response: Well, you're not a Pagan, so why celebrate? Argument: "Christmas has nothing to do with Christ, anymore." Response: Even though many do not think of Christ on Christmas, the holiday still has its Christian roots.
#2 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

lol christian roots.

#3 Posted by dave123321 (35340 posts) -
who cares. live and let live.
#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15153 posts) -

The Return of the Indomitable Sun.

It's on the 24th or 25th when the Sun starts to climb back from the solstice. More sun is always a reason to celebrate.

#5 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -
Cause I love Jesus too.
Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
#6 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6203 posts) -

Most common arguments I hear, and my responses:
Argument: "Christmas is a Pagan Holiday"
Response: Well, you're not a Pagan, so why celebrate?
Argument: "Christmas has nothing to do with Christ, anymore."
Response: Even though many do not think of Christ on Christmas, the holiday still has its Christian roots

.Reed_Bowie

There's your problem, sir.......Your logic's broken................

#7 Posted by LLYNCES (378 posts) -

Why not? It's not originally christian to begin with and most people don't celebrate for "Christ" It wouldn't even exist if it didn't make so much god damned money. Christians who think they own Christmas make me laugh.

#8 Posted by Jazz_Fan (29516 posts) -

Fun enough to keep doing

Culturally innocuous enough to create warm sentimentality

#9 Posted by Reed_Bowie (506 posts) -

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"]

Response: Even though many do not think of Christ on Christmas, the holiday still has its Christian roots

.Chow_Mein_Kampf

The Holiday we know as Christmas was a pagan holiday known as Saturnalia. The Catholic Church eventually claimed that Jesus was born around this time to get more Pagans to convert. So the holiday we know as "Christmas" has both Pagan and Christian roots.
#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15153 posts) -

Why not? It's not originally christian to begin with and most people don't celebrate for "Christ" It wouldn't even exist if it didn't make so much god damned money. Christians who think they own Christmas make me laugh.

LLYNCES

I bet it was like-minded (our way or no way) Christians who banned Christmas in the US until 1820.

It was banned for a time in England, as well, but I'm not sure on the timeframe and I'm not looking it up. :P

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
#11 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4364 posts) -
Because origin and symbolic gesture does not need to equate. Christmas to many is less about the origin and more about the gesture. The gesture is giving something to someone you care about. But then you have to actually care about someone other than yourself to realize that right?
Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
#12 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6203 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chow_Mein_Kampf"]

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"]

.Reed_Bowie

The Holiday we know as Christmas was a pagan holiday known as Saturnalia. The Catholic Church eventually claimed that Jesus was born around this time to get more Pagans to convert. So the holiday we know as "Christmas" has both Pagan and Christian roots.

Sure..............Why not?.................

#13 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28392 posts) -
For the presents.
#14 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30138 posts) -

For the presents. sammyjenkis898
oh and TV specials

#15 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
I like: Food Getting stuff Spending time with people I like People being nice to each other Food Giving presents Reminiscing about childhood Santa Parades Holiday type sweaters Having a reason not to kill myself once it's like -25 and my blood is starting to freeze and my car doors have welded themselves shut with ice. Also food
#16 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15153 posts) -

Food

Food

foodXilePrincess

What sucks is when everyone makes everything you like and you've only enough room for like 1/4 of what you've waited all year to eat.

And I'm not doing the one-fingered toilet tango, either.

#17 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

Why not? It originated as a pagan holiday, and even though it's not anymore it is really more of a cultural/seasonal holiday than anything else.

#18 Posted by harashawn (27614 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chow_Mein_Kampf"]

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"]

.Reed_Bowie

No; see my last post.
EDIT: Never mind, that was in a different thread. Saturnalia was celebrated on December 17, not 25. Christmas is on the 25 because the feast of the Assumption is exactly 9 months before that date.

#19 Posted by DanteSuikoden (3427 posts) -

Cause presents that's why.

#20 Posted by agpickle (3293 posts) -

I do because my family does.

#21 Posted by Reed_Bowie (506 posts) -

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"][QUOTE="Chow_Mein_Kampf"]

harashawn

No; see my last post.
EDIT: Never mind, that was in a different thread. Saturnalia was celebrated on December 17, not 25. Christmas is on the 25 because the feast of the Assumption is exactly 9 months before that date.

It was eventually extended so the Celebration lasted until December 23.
#22 Posted by harashawn (27614 posts) -

[QUOTE="harashawn"]

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"] The Holiday we know as Christmas was a pagan holiday known as Saturnalia. The Catholic Church eventually claimed that Jesus was born around this time to get more Pagans to convert. So the holiday we know as "Christmas" has both Pagan and Christian roots. Reed_Bowie

No; see my last post.

But not 25. So Christmas Saturnalia.
There was supposed to be a not equal to sign, but it didn't show up.

#23 Posted by Reed_Bowie (506 posts) -

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"][QUOTE="harashawn"] No; see my last post.

harashawn

It's two days away. It's very likely that Christmas is December 25th (or even in December) because of Saturnalia.
#24 Posted by harashawn (27614 posts) -
[QUOTE="harashawn"]

[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"] It was eventually extended so the Celebration lasted until December 23.Reed_Bowie

It's two days away. It's very likely that Christmas is December 25th (or even in December) because of Saturnalia.

It's far more likely (competely likely) that it is on December 25 because of the Assumption.
#25 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Food

Food

foodbr0kenrabbit

What sucks is when everyone makes everything you like and you've only enough room for like 1/4 of what you've waited all year to eat.

You're doing it wrong, I always freeze leftovers :) We always have all kinds of delicious niblets, from baked goods to stuff like mini quiche and wontons, which freeze well. Offer to help clean up after your host's get together, and offer to erm.. 'relieve' him of some of the extra yummies.

EDIT: It also took me a moment of imagining before I realized the one fingered toilet tango doesn't involve the butthole. I was so confused.

#26 Posted by Celldrax (15043 posts) -

Santa (when I was young), presents, christmas lunch and dinner, family in general, and an all round enjoyable occasion. And when I was very young, that's all I ever believed christmas to be.

And besides, the holidays meaning differs from each and every single family. I thought this was something people were generally aware of...

#27 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Presents duh

#28 Posted by MonsieurX (36985 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I like: Food Getting stuff Spending time with people I like People being nice to each other Food Giving presents Reminiscing about childhood Santa Parades Holiday type sweaters Having a reason not to kill myself once it's like -25 and my blood is starting to freeze and my car doors have welded themselves shut with ice. Also food

^ this
#29 Posted by curono (7713 posts) -
For me christmas is not a -christ is born- festivity. It is a good wish festivity with all our family. Which coincidently is what christmas should be. Having good will towards anyone around you. But christ is not a figure in my christmas. Yes it sounds silly but that's how I work chrismtas.
#30 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

it's not really a christian holiday no matter how much you think it is, and its a time to get togther with my family, exchange gifts, eat good food, and have fun. I'm sorry for enjoying myself, I'll refrain from it in the future

#31 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

The same reason most Americans celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

It's the culture I grew up in.

#32 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
well, somebody has to make sure impressionable children believe in miracles so they can be crushed by the banality of life in a few years.
#33 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

why is it so difficult for Christians to understand?

Is it really that hard to figure out why? It's sad that an Athiest even has to explain this...

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
#34 Posted by Tezcatlipoca666 (7241 posts) -

Because celebrating Christmas is part of my culture.

#35 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

Most common arguments I hear, and my responses: Argument: "Christmas is a Pagan Holiday" Response: Well, you're not a Pagan, so why celebrate? Argument: "Christmas has nothing to do with Christ, anymore." Response: Even though many do not think of Christ on Christmas, the holiday still has its Christian roots.Reed_Bowie

So?

If I don't associate my celebration with a ridiculous religion then I don't associate my celebration with a ridiculous religion... It really doesn't matter what the f-ck you say... I am not celebrating the birth of an imaginary god.

Whether you agree or not, it is a non-sectarian holiday for us that we celebrate because we were raised celebrating it. Thankfully we found common sense along the way.

#36 Posted by comp_atkins (34508 posts) -
because my family does and i like them. deal.
#37 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

Culture and tradition.

#38 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

Atheists can believe in what they want.

#39 Posted by krazykillaz (21141 posts) -
Because I like the idea of having a holiday to spend time with family, feast and exchange gifts. I also enjoy the little traditions. Christmas trees, lights, music, etc. I just skip the religious stuff.
#40 Posted by notsoawesome (629 posts) -

Who locks themselves in a room during Chistmas anyway? Almost everyone celebrates it.

#41 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15153 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Food

Food

foodXilePrincess

You're doing it wrong, I always freeze leftovers :) We always have all kinds of delicious niblets, from baked goods to stuff like mini quiche and wontons, which freeze well. Offer to help clean up after your host's get together, and offer to erm.. 'relieve' him of some of the extra yummies.

EDIT: It also took me a moment of imagining before I realized the one fingered toilet tango doesn't involve the butthole. I was so confused.

The...umm...I'll let that in-edit comment slide. Eagh...poor choice of words.

There typically isn't much left after our family gatherings because after family time the doors are pretty much open for anyone to drop in unannounced, and they do. There's about 20 of us related there but by the time we leave for the night at least that many additional people have come and gone.

I try to eat early and again late. With luck I can have both a turkey and ham dinner.

#42 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
janitorial contempt
#43 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

Christmas is awesome. Presents, free time, family, food. Couldn't care less about the spiritual side of the roots

#44 Posted by theone86 (20965 posts) -

Because my family does, and because there are things I like about it. I think a holiday dedicated to giving gifts to the people you care about is a good thing and whatever charity sneaks its way in is good as well, I just hate all the consumerism, the preachy religious people, and the ubiquitous obsession with everything Christmas. I think what really bothers me about this holiday is how at a certain point every radio station has to play Christmas songs, every television station has to run the same corny holiday movies that everyone has seen a million f*cking times, and everyone has to watch those same movies at the same time of year but no other, and every store has to play Christmas songs, and it's just way too much to take. All I wish is that I could go anywhere besides my room and be able to forget for a few minutes that it's the holidays, but that's literally impossible.

#45 Posted by mrbojangles25 (39758 posts) -

1. My parents are Christian, and out of respect for them, I "go with the flow" and don't try to be one of those militant atheists (which I hate anyway :P)

2. When in Rome...again, due to the company I keep, it is easier, and more fun, to simply go along with it. When I got invited to a Bar Mitzvah, I celebrated that; when I went to a Buddhist temple, I followed proper conduct; etc, etc.

3. And last, but not least, I really dont care about what it should be, or was...I care about what it is, and to me, Christmas is a time where I dont have to go to work, I can spend time with family, eat and drink well, and give and receive gifts.

#46 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

To me Christmas is about good will to your fellow human beings. I just don't celebrate the religious side of it, it's not really needed anyway to get the message accross

#47 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (7431 posts) -

I don't. Like most northern Europeans we celebrate "Yuhl" (Jul) you know... the holiday you pretty much mistake for a christian one. But each to his own I suppose. I certainly prefer to celebrate the holidays of light and goodwill, but hey to celebrate Jesus on the same day is no biggie, was likely a great man anyways ^^

#49 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
Cause I get presents And I get to spend time with family I don't see much I love it
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#50 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

Why do you ask stupid questions?

Cause people like presents and family and friends.