Question about use of information

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by f3ature (25 posts) -

Hello,

I hope I wrote this question in the right place.

I am student, taking a research about gaming websites. I would be grateful if you could help me by answering few questions. Can other websites put the information from gamespot website and links to website (like n4g.com does) without permission? If not, how other websites can use gamespot articles like n4g does?

Thank you for answer

#2 Posted by toast_burner (25028 posts) -

It's perfectly ok for you to post links to articles, in fact it's encouraged as it gives them more publicity.

However if you were to copy and paste the article on to your site than that is stealing. N4G doesn't host any articles (as far as I know) it just links to the original site.

#3 Posted by f3ature (25 posts) -

@toast_burner: @toast_burner:

So, if in a website is written just the beginning of the post and later given link to the page where all article belongs, I can do this without permission?

#4 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -
@f3ature said:

@toast_burner: @toast_burner:

So, if in a website is written just the beginning of the post and later given link to the page where all article belongs, I can do this without permission?

People do that all the time. It is called quoting and at least in the United States, yes, you may do so without express permission. That is due to the liberties granted by the First Amendment. Specifically, freedom of the press. Although, there are certain restrictions to protect the rights of the original writers it is a good habit to give a source for your quotes. Doing so makes your work more professional.